Medical Questions > Nutrition > Atkins Diet Forum

Seriously Overweight And Hate Diets!

I was a small baby, a big kid, a small teen, and now a big woman. I was only small as a teen because I was aneroxic. I had tried diets, and nothing worked until I stopped eatting. I am pregnant now, but 260lbs is still way too big for a 5 ft 5 in 20 year old female! I'll be giving birth sometime within the next two weeks (or i'll go insane) and I really want to try to get my life back on track as far as my weight goes.

I don't believe in miracle diets, diet pills, or any of that nonsense. I also don't want to be a health-nut. But can't I have my cake and lose weight too? Is there something i'm missing? I know I sound like a retard, but... I'm so sick of looking like I do, I was before I got my baby-belly. Even after I lose the weight of the pregnancy i'll still be over 200lbs, and that's not cool. :cry:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Hi, 2 years ago I bore a sun and had a similar problem, I stayed at home, had lots of time and spent it eating food, I simply could'not ocupy myself, all my thoughts were about food, and the situation began to improve only when I occupied myself with studiing, walks and sport, when I was spending less time near the fridge :))) one more problem for me was to give up drinking soda, eating fat food and so on... A friend of mine spent a month in this place antiaging-europe.Com she became much more knowledgeable about how a body functions and what the optimal method of caring for it is. So she gave me many pieces of advice how to lose weight. She used a method of fasting... But I think one should have great will-power ))) besides she made it under controll of doctors and there were other many other pleasant facilities for her,such as massage, steam bath, jacuzzi, solarium.... So I contented myself with a very-low-calorie diet. And only after that I actually lost weight. Good luck
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I would sugguest the atkins diet because honestly it doesnt feel like your on a diet while your following this plan. Steak, cheeseburgers(without the bun) bacon and eggs, cheese anytime you want it. The only problem with this is that it's bad for your heart and if you are already that over weight I would talk to a doctor about it. Another way is just to limit your portion sizes. Thats all jenny craig is, normal foods in smaller portions. That way you can eat your cake, just a smaller slice. Start small and work your way up. Start by eliminating regular soda. That is just empty calories and there are so much better things to drink, ice tea, diet sodas, flavored waters, crystal light. Then start cutting out starchy carbs (stuff with white flour and lots of sugar in it) but I believe if we tell ourselves that we cannot have any at all that causes us to binge. If your really craving it then have it ! Just get a smaller piece and put the rest away. Also start walking with your baby, its fun for both of you and an easy way to kick of your weight loss. I totally understand you when it comes to not being able to stick to a diet, I was the same way. I lost 30 lbs while on atkins and feel great about myself. I am now trying the jenny craig rout. This just makes it easier for me to control my portions so that I dont have to be concerned and measure out my foods. If I can do it you can do it.
Good luck to you.

Ps talk to your doctor because I am sure if your breast feeding there are guidelines you need to be following.
|

replied August 10th, 2005
Overweight
I, too, have a problem with my weight. I had a baby 19 months ago and I am still trying to loose some weight. It is hard, but you need to stay motivated. Walking with the baby is good-he/she will love to be outside, and it will be very good for you too. I have just started doing pilates and it helps me to feel better. Limit portion sizes and try to eat foods in their most natural state, like fresh fruits and veggies. Also try to stay away from breads that are white and fluffy, that suggests the grains are more processed. These are my plans anyway, I hope it helps you too!
|

replied August 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
Weight watchers is really goo too. My sil is 5'3 and weighed 268lbs and now 3 months later she is at 205lbs.
|

replied October 25th, 2005
Stop This Happy Harry Scamer From Ripping People Off
Ftc says diet patches do not cause weight loss, illinois sues diet patch for being a scam, ftc sues diet patch multiple times, people complain that diet patch companies send them patches they did not order and then ruin their credit if they do not pay

here are links to the stories as proff - stop the diet patch scam
http://www.Ftc.Gov/opa/2004/12/transdermal .Htm
http://www.Consumeraffairs.Com/news04/il_d iet_patch.Html
http://www.Ftc.Gov/opa/2005/03/phoenix.Htm
http://www.Sptimes.Com/2005/01/09/action/d iet_patch_dispute_is.Shtml
|

replied July 20th, 2006
Noooooo.
Sorry, dear, but the only way you can possibly permanantly lose any weight is through the most obvious way: decrease the calories, up with the exercise. Is it a pain in the ass? Yes. But it will benefit you the most.
I have lost around 25 pounds since arond march, but the only reason why it's been so slow is because I have a tendency to cheat (working on it! :?)
i try my best to limit my calories to 1,200-1,300 a day, I eat lots of fruit and veggies, and try to avoid junk. I eat loads of fish and chicken, too. I also do an hour on the treadmill 5-7 days a week, plus yoga, crunches, and a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and definitely avoid drinking alcoholic drinks more than once a week. On weeks when dad brings home dark amber cider, I bloat up so fast it's hilarious, even when I stay within my 1,200 cal. Range. Weigh yourself every day in the morning. It's the most concrete way of tracking progress (obviously, there will be days when you are bloated or have water weight a week before or during your cycle, but you should know yourself if it's because you are about to have the painters in, or if it's you ate one french fry to many--be honest with yourself.). Definitely buy a small food scale, and go on nutritiondata.Com to find the caloric value of your food. Because you are already so overweight (absolutely no offense meant there!!!), it won't be so quick that you begin dropping clothing sizes, even afte 15 pounsds or so, but ass you lose more weight, the difference will increase, and you'll see more dramatic results, but your clothes will be looser, you'll look trimmer, and you'll have much more energy. I only dropped one clothing size, but I got rid of my high blood pressure. Best of luck to you and your baby!!!

Ps: no atkins
|

replied January 17th, 2013
Why do diets? What I would suggest is kind of a meal plan what would be best is if you write a meal plan but work around the healthy foods that you like and have like 1 chocolate a week so your not missing out on the deserts.
|

replied February 2nd, 2013
You said you are pregnant now? Talk to your Dr., maybe its best to concentrate on a very healthy diet now and weight loss later? That said... I have always had great luck with high protein diets because you can eat and feel full. I am awful at calorie counting diets. I have found that good quality probiotics and a good quad action digestive enzyme enhance high protein diets and avoid the digestion problems that adding more protein can sometimes cause.
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2013
Experienced User
Better concentrate on delivering a healthy child for now and tackling the weight loss issue afterwards. From what I hear, breastfeeding is a really helpful way to lose weight after giving birth.

If you're seriously considering losing weight, then there's really no easy way out. Unless you develop a medical disorder that makes you lose weight rapidly (God forbid!), you'll have to go through the natural process of losing weight, and that is through the proper diet and exercise. Dieting doesn't necessarily equate to fasting and depriving yourself of a great meal. You'll have to find the appropriate food for you and pair it with the right exercise routine so you'd be able to shed off the excess weight and keep it off for life.
|