Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Starting On Wellbutrin Xl (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I've just been prescribed to take wellbutrin xl to help with my current bout with depression. Does anyone have any experiences with this medication? I've checked the drug's website and found all the side effects, but would like to hear about personal experiences.

Also, if anyone has taken wellbutrin xl and is no longer, how long did you take it? And how was the transition off the medication?

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Duker85
|

replied November 21st, 2003
I started taking wellbutrin about 1 month ago. I am also taking prozac at the same time, so I don't know if this well help. I really haven't had any side effects that I have noticed. If I have, I decided that they were better than feeling depressed. I am a little tired during the day, and I am not all that interested in sex (but I don't know if it was from the prozac). My Dr. Said that wellbutrin might help bring your sex drive up. All I can say is give it a try and hope it helps. So far, I think my meds are helping me. :d
|

replied November 21st, 2003
Afternoon
I'm 20 years old, and female, I started taking celexa last year this time for my depression, after about 6 months the celexa had gotten to its peak with me, meaning it wasn't really doing too much more for me, so my Dr. Put me on wellbutrin. The effects of wellbutrin for me, i'm very anxious to go out and do things, always keeping myself busy, and don't like to be bored much, but without it i'm typically a lazy couch potato, and sleep too much...So the plus side of wellbutrin is you feel more awakened, and more motivated. The downsides i've had with it is the sharp pains I get in my head...Like a head ache but in a distinct place and only that place, also I have terrible breath, and brush my teeth a lot more then I used to because of it....Otherwise, I would say that wellbutrin has been my savior, and celexa just helps balance me out with it so I wouldn't be a basket case perhaps...Heheh...Anyways I hope this helped you
|

replied May 16th, 2004
Welbutrin
I take 450 mg. I love it but I also take celexa and trazadone. The combination is great as is evidenced by my writing this email.

Gwen
|

replied May 25th, 2004
Well...welbutrin Xl
I recently started on welbutrin xl one month ago. I do not notice a major difference. Has anyone noticed a major difference at one month in? I would enjoy hearing from anyone with dysthymia on welbutrin xl....Actually I probably wouldn't enjoy it ..But I would appreciate it.
|

replied May 25th, 2004
Surprised
hi:
i found that my mood changed gradually over about two months.

I can have "a" beer once in a while but forget alcohol in any quantity.

Life is sooooo much better for me. I am sort of ditzy at times because when I don't know something, I just blurt it out now. I used to be really self conscious and try to hide my ignorance.
I used to be really intimidated by guys, and now I can actually relax a little.

I am happier being me and care much less what others think of me. I used to constantly check the mirror and my butt to see if I was perfect and I never felt I was. It was horrible living that way.

If it had not been for the drugs I take I would not be alive. I still think about s once in a while but it no longer seems like such a good idea. I have been a lot of trouble to my family and now I think they are happier with me.

Gwen
|

replied May 11th, 2011
What is your dosage?
|

replied May 13th, 2005
Wellbutim Xl
Hi, I started on 150mg 3 days ago and i've noticed a huge difference already. I find myself smiling and laughing like I used to before my son was born. I have more energy. I also have felt many of the side effects like loss of appetite, dry mouth(these two I really like because I eat less and drink more water) I cannot seem to fall asleep though. But i'm not jittery at all. I've also been pretty sore in my legs almost like i've been exercising. I noticed these before I read about the side effects now it all makes sense. I'm just so suprised that I was able to feel such a huge difference so soon. I wish I tried this two years ago when my doctor first talked to me about it. I am so happy that i'm more myself again. I hope this has helped.
Deena
|

replied May 13th, 2005
Hi Deena
I was on xl for a long time.. And could not sleep I was taking 300 mg then I moved 150 xl and I could sleep.. Only problem is I dont find that the 150 dose helps me.. I started back on 150sr twice a day just yesterday and so far so good.. I too am nervous about the sleeping thing again..But last nite I took a benedryl and I was fine.. I have a slight cold too, so the benedryl is for that not for sleep.. Anyhow.. For the longest time I had to take ambien to sleep.. I really hope idont have to anymore..We'll see.. Im glad you are feeling better.. What other meds were you on? Lisa
|

replied May 16th, 2005
Starting Welbutrin Xl
My name is al. I started 150mg about a week ago. I had misgivings about going to medication because I don't trust it. I haven't experienced any side effects other then loss of appetite that I know of. I think it is a good thing though.
I'm attempting to get out of the general depressed funk I have been in for about a year or two.
What other webistes are there for good info on welbutrin? I never did research it before I went on it. I want to research more about it from an objective perspective (not the company's site).

Al
|

replied May 16th, 2005
Hi..
Hi al.. I started on the wellbutrin 150 sr two times a day just a few days ago.. I have been on some dose of wellbutrin for the last 3 years. I found that when I was on the higher dose once a day, xl (extended release) I had sever insomnia.. So much that I needed medication to sleep.. I hated that.. So I went down to 150 once aday.. Well, that was not good for my mood if you know what I mean.. Irather be sleepless and happy then sleeping and not happy.. So im trying 150sr twice a day now.. So far im okay.. I did have a serious headache over the weekend. And im not feeling completely rested, almost like im not getting a good nites rest.. But im going to give it a try.. I also had a problem when I was on the higher dose of losing too much weight. Im 5'5 and I went from 117 which is my normal weight to 107.. Not good.. I was eating but I wasnt hungry so I didnt eat as regular or as much as I need. So now that I am on the higher dose again.. I am making sure that even if I dont feel hungry ( the med does that to me ) .. I will eat anyway.. I dont mind being thin.. I like it.. But being too skinny is not good, my clothes didnt fit and I looked too boney.. Anyhow.. Im sure it could be a lot worse. Haha.. As a matter of fact my weight has always been a big part of my 'depressed' mood or so.. I obsess over it when im not on the wellbutrin.. But when im on it.. I dont even thing about the negatives.. Like I do when im not on it.. That is why I am on it.. For a tad bit of a compulsive thinking disorder so to speak.. And also for anxiety.. It seems to work for me.. You may want to increase your dose a bit in a week. I know that is how I started.. I hope you feel good.. And I will chat with you later..
|

replied May 26th, 2005
Dysthymia And Wellbutrin
Dyslamar -

i've been on wellbutrin xl for about a month. Although I have noticed some side effects like dry mouth and being slightly more awake at night, I have not noticed any real improvement. I'm supposed to meet with my doctor in a couple weeks to see if he will increase the dosage. He mentioned that with dysthymia, as opposed to clinical depression, it takes a bit longer to have an effect because the disorder is chronic. So you're not the only one that's still waiting...
|

replied May 30th, 2005
I was on it to quit smoking, and my blood pressure skyrocketed, so I quit. I take lexapro now for depression.
|

replied June 1st, 2005
Wellbutrin Xl
Hi, I was just prescibe wellbutrin xl and I need to know if anybody have had any libido increase or decrase while taking this med.

Thank you :)
|

replied June 3rd, 2005
I've been taking wellbutrix xl 150mg daily for about a month. I noticed a difference within a week and the depression completely went away after two weeks and now I feel great. I have had chronic mild depression for years and really enjoy feeling 'normal' again and am improving my relationship with my family.

While I have had no side affects to this point, my concern is the longer term effects. My father, who is a doctor, warned me not to make this a long term solution as there is not enough history on long term effects of anti-depressent drugs. Anybody heard of any nasty long term effects of this drug?
|

replied June 17th, 2005
Welbutrin
Hello my husband was prescribed welbutrin for severe depression he didn't have any complaints but his prescription ran out and all hell broke loose he began being very tired and getting headaches and got very ill with what felt like in his words"someone sitting on his chest" when nothing helped relieve it we went to the hospital and after tons of blood work and poking /prodding and more tests ekg/ultrasounds/xrays they told him he had pancreatitus and that his pancreas had all but stopped working, not good at all he already had diabetes and I feel that the meds worsened things because as a diabetic his recent liver tests and tests on his pancreas showed nothing to my knowledge his triglycerides were 10,000 when they should be 200 and his liver was so fatty that when the blood in the vials sat and started to separate you could see the fat on top of the blood so I am researching all I can about the causes of his new and scary condition.
|

replied June 22nd, 2005
I have taken wellbutrin xl, as well as effexor, zoloft and celexa. Wellbutrin is not nearly as strong as the others or as paxil or prozac. It does increase your sex drive while all of the others make it completely go away. My doctor told me that if you have any kind of anxiety issues like gad, sad it's always better to take something that treats this as well. Paxil and zoloft are both very good for treating multiple symptoms. While I did like the effects of wellbutrin, it's not good for someone that has moderate to severe depression. Zoloft seemed to work the best, but I am not good with remembering to take my medication every day, so it makes me an emotional roller coaster. Wellbutrin also increases your heart rate and has an affect on your appetite. Keep in mind, this drug is also used to treat people trying to quit smoking. It's not very strong, so if your depression isn't bad it's definitely the way to go.
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
Hello , I was just prescribed effexor xr today. My doctor started me out on a low dose and then it will increase after that. Anyone have experience with this drug?

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
|

replied June 27th, 2005
Hehehe
i'm on welbutrin, 300mg. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference in me, but my psychologist has. So he recommended I stay on it for awhile. I think i've been on it 3months?
I like it cuz it kills my appetite, and since i've got a sly case of anorexia, suits me fine. Both the psychiatrist and psychologist know I had it, and they ask how much i'm eating from time to time- and i'm honest. But I don't seem obsessed, don't talk about it alot, and it's not getting in the way yet... So they are clueless. I feel evil. And I feel euphoric. I've had some sort of ed for 7years, so I don't expect it ever to go away.

But, in all seriousness, it seems like it's a pretty cool drug. Seems to do what it's supposed to, give more energy and stuff. That it has done, that and my coffee of course. I do eat, just carefully. I'm not even underweight yet, so no worries.
Still, I think it's pretty funny they perscribed it to me knowing about my ed when it states right on the thing not for anyone who ever had an ed. They did try like 3other drugs first, which didn't work. But still.

Anyway, I like it, and everything i've heard of it seems pretty cool. Except my best friend took it for awhile and forgot to eat and dropped like 20lbs, and she had a mild case of anorexia years b4, so she stopped it on her own be'n like, I don't look healthy this skinny and I can't remember to eat w/out be'n hungry!

That's about it for bad tho. And I don't know that many ppl who would be like, gee i'm too skinny! But, that's probably the eating disorder thinking.

This is kind of a sucky post, i'm posting. I'll shuddup now
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Welbutrin Xl
This is something that has bothered me, I was taking it as prescribed by my primary doctor, and on christmas day (2005) I had a grand mal seizure. It is up to you, but I am trying to wean myself off of this. I just noticed in the ad on tv this morning that this could be a side affect, but no one ever told me.
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Welbutrin Xl
This is something that has bothered me, I was taking it as prescribed by my primary doctor, and on christmas day (2005) I had a grand mal seizure. It is up to you, but I am trying to wean myself off of this. I just noticed in the ad on tv this morning that this could be a side affect, but no one ever told me.
|
Quick Reply