Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Has Anyone Had Perioral Dermatitis And Cured It? Immuderm? (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I've had this for years. I tried switching to natural toothpaste and skincare, and mineral makeup which helped a little but it not enough to make it go away. For a gift my mom gave me a product from norway called immuderm which is a anti aging cream but also supposed to be great and above anything else in getting rid of of many skin conditions. Does anybody know about this or anything else that would help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gohari1
|

replied August 4th, 2005
Hi goddessnyx...

I'm just curious, have you started using immuderm yet? If so, what are your opinions on it? My girlfriend is considering getting some, but there's just so little unbiased information on it, it would be great to hear someone's first-hand experience about it.

Any info for us who are curious...?

Thanks!
Alex
|

replied November 15th, 2012
Simple Cure of Perioral Dermatitis
I am very grateful to everyone who has previously posted on this website. This is why now that I free of this terrible problem I come back to this site to help at least a person that is frustrated trying everything with not significant results. I have been suffering from perioral dermatitis for the past months and have changed many things in my daily routine. I did a little bit of everything posted in this site. However, the final and less expensive routine come from my kitchen. A little bit of Sodium Bicarbonate and of a Lemon. Clean the affected area with the lemon juice and the bicarbonate every night. For the first night (in my case 3 days) do not use nothing more than this paste to clean your face.....no creams, lotions, fats, makeup nothing. I promise you that after a few days you will see results. My skin is not perfect as it is to be but it is free of POD and can use natural creams. Now once in a while when I feel that POD is staring to come out I just clean my face with this miracle paste and magically the rash disappear
|

replied August 4th, 2005
I've been using immuderm for about a week. Within the first few days my skin was looking better (it cleared up the spots above my lip which can stay around for months.) though a few days ago I got a outbreak above my lip and on my chin plus a few pimples (which can easily be cleared up with tea tree oil) it might have been because I skipped a treatment one night or some 'hormonal women stuff'. Also when you start a skin treatment it tends to draw out all the bad stuff (after all things like acne actually form under your skins weeks before you get it). But right I really can't say if it works for me. My skin condition is very hard to get rid of and since there are no testimonies available on immuderm i'll just have to be my own guinea pig. Generally the rule is that you have to give a treatment at least four weeks before you can tell if it works or not. So I could check back in each week and report on how it’s going. My mom is also using the cream for wrinkles if anyone wants to know how that’s going.
|

replied August 8th, 2005
Sure, weekly progress reports from yourself and your mom would be great! My girlfriend's skin condition is actually pretty good, I believe she wants to use immuderm mostly as an anti-aging cream. So it'll be interesting to hear what you have to report...!
|

replied September 15th, 2005
Ok well I totally forgot about writing in here. Basically the cream helps keeps my pod from getting completely out of control, except during 'certain times' when I can't do anything about it. However it has not gotten rid of it. I'm thinking this isn't a condition that can be cured by anything topical. However I have seen a decrease of the wrinkles on my mom's face (not extreme but a change) and a pretty big improvement in my sister's moderate acne. But it's back to the drawing board for me... :(
|

replied March 24th, 2007
can u get immuderm in canada?
|

replied March 25th, 2007
Another Suggestion
Hi, I was scrolling through the "Acne Forum" keeping my eyes out for a friend who wanted others to benefit from her experience. For a while now she's been using products from the Dead Sea which have really charmed her skin and make her feel much better. It's said they only use natural products and all that stuff. I'm actually planning to go there soon and try it out for myself. Anyways, here's their website if you feel like checking them out: http://dsguide.stores.yahoo.net/deadseacos metic-search.html
Hope you have as much luck as she did Smile
|

replied August 9th, 2008
perioral dermatitis ....what worked for me
Hi

I started with this about 3 months ago, nothing seemed to trigger it and I tried all sorts of creams to get rid of it, but none worked for me. I didnt really want to have to take the antibiotics and from what I had read it was not the best way either ...

After researching on the net and following one link after an other, I ended up finding a cream called nixoderm. All I can say is after using it the first night I woke in the mornign and the rash was 95% gone!! the redness had gone too and my skin was looking normal again. I have used it 3 times now and my skin is nearly back to normal.

I must say though, when you first put it on for about 10 mins it burns like hell, but then it just stops. Its very thick like a paste so stays on your face the whole night. I really do think its worth a try for anyone suffering with this Very Happy

I got mine on ebay and I think with the delivery it only cost me £5.00 !
I have the malaysian one, as I had heard this was the best.

Just wanted to let you all know as I hated living with this rash, and if it works for others suffering too I would be really happy Very Happy

Good luck !
|

replied April 7th, 2011
Did Nixoderm cure your perioral?
|

replied November 15th, 2012
I am very grateful to everyone who has previously posted on this website. This is why now that I free of this terrible problem I come back to this site to help at least a person that is frustrated trying everything with not significant results. I have been suffering from perioral dermatitis for the past months and have changed many things in my daily routine. I did a little bit of everything posted in this site. However, the final and less expensive routine come from my kitchen. A little bit of Sodium Bicarbonate and of a Lemon. Clean the affected area with the lemon juice and the bicarbonate every night. For the first night (in my case 3 days) do not use nothing more than this paste to clean your face…no creams, lotions, fats, makeup nothing. I promise you that after a few days you will see results. My skin is not perfect as it is to be but it is free of POD and can use natural creams. Now once in a while when I feel that POD is staring to come out I just clean my face with this miracle paste and magically….the rash disappear
|
Users who thank jupiter2020 for this post: Mimihello 

replied October 17th, 2013
I know it's been a while since you posted this, so I'm hoping you're still there? ...I'd love it if you could elaborate a little more on the procedure you used?

I have mixed the lemon juice and bicarb-soda and it's a granulated mix. After you cleaned the area with it, did you rinse it off with water or did you leave it on?

I have read elsewhere (maybe on this site also) that someone rinsed with Apple Cider vinegar.

Hoping to hear back from you. Thanks Smile
|

replied August 20th, 2012
Hi I have bought some nixoderm too it burns so bad, have you found it gets rid of perioral?
|

replied May 14th, 2010
perioral dermatis and eczema
Hello,
I 'cured' my perioral dermatitis in 4 weeks and it has never come back....this is what I did.

I read everything I could on forums and all the different remedies people suggested..most of which seemed to work for a short time, but flare ups continued.

I had been on steroid creams for eczema and dermatitis for years with varying degrees of strength..I decided that the general opinion seemed to suggest that, whilst these kept the rashes at bay...prolonged use meant you would have to find stronger steroids and they became less effective.

The first thing I did was get rid of anything that contained Sodium Laryl Sulphate...harder than you may think as this is the stuff that makes soap products bubbly and is found in many face creams including Aqueous cream which is actually recommended as the best emollient.

I then went cold turkey with the steroid creams...and believe me, at week 2 I was so tempted to go back to the doctor for more because everything gets so much worse before it starts to improve.

I visited a Homeopathist who prescribed me a constitutional rememedy, which is actually derived from a snake. The principle of homeopathy is Like atracts like, so a snake sloughing it's skin seemed to fit with my skin constantly trying to renew itself. Every individual will need a different homeopathic remedy as it is based on your constitution so it is worth a consultation.

In the first two weeks, I broke out literally EVERYWHERE...on my face, on my arms, inside my thighs, my pubic area, my ears, even my hips and I felt awful. I had to go to work whilst this was going on and I felt disgusting. Everything itched and hurt and everytime I moved, bits of skin fell off me...but I persevered.

Here is what I did.

1. Stopped using all make up

2. Threw out everything that contained Sodium Laryl Sulphate.

3. Got rid of my toothpaste and bought one that had no flouride in.....Nice and White was my choice..expensive but lasts a long while.

4. Started using T-gel shampoo and Aloe vera conditioner.

5. Washed only in lukewarm water..no soaps or soap substitutes..shower gels bubble baths...god it stung, like someone prodding hot needles in me, but gradually got better.

6. Stopped drinking white wine..and switched to red...ok I like a drink now and again.

7. Took antihistamine tablets every day...at first i was taking about 4 a day, every time the itch started, but gradually cut down to 1.

Week one...used Graphites cream to dry everything up during the day and coated in calendula cream at night (except for round the eyes, which I discovered made them very puffy and left me with deep wrinkles) Use the graphites cream around eye area (if you have dermatitis there) during the day only. Also Boots 50/50 skin repair - this is very greasy, but very moisturising and can be used around the eye area...well at least I did and it helped.

week 2...same regime...you should see a slight improvement

week 3...homeopathist changed my pills...and I continued with the boots 50/50 skin repair and started to wash my face with warm water and Lloyds pharmacy Organics gentle cleansing foam and moistursing with boots 50/50 skin repair. But having to apply the moisturer a lot during the day as still getting very dry skin.

Week 4...continued same routine, and then discovered Skin food nourshing moisturiser with aloe vera and maluka honey..99p from my local 99p store...left my skin silky.

week 5...completely clear...i can now wear makeup again as long as i take it off with the cleansing foam and use the muluka honey and aloe moisturiser.

I have had no flare ups or break outs for 6 months now and I continue to stick to this routine.

I really hope this helps, but the first 2 weeks are awful... but dont give in...you will come through it.

Helen X
|

replied May 25th, 2010
Peri Oral Dermatitis treatment that worked for me
I had peri oral dermatitis for about a decade... tried cleocin, metrogel, erythromiacin, tetracycline, finacea, pandel, switched out my toothpaste, switched my shampoo... I didn't want to stay on all of the meds because i was getting a weird taste in my mouth which was gross and the gels/creams were just barely holding off the outbreaks. Toward the end of my rope i started having outbreaks everyday anyway... The doctor AGAIN prescribed tetracycline and i started reading forums to find the answers that i wasn't getting from multiple trips to the doctor. SO... here's my regimine and it's been a couple months of clear glowing skin that does NOT itch!!! Nighttime routine- splash face w/ water and use Aveeno cleansing pads (recommended by Allure and sold at Target, CVS, Wal-Mart etc.) rinse w/ warm water then dry skin w/ a towel- follow that w/ Neutrogena night pads (just run them once over the face otherwise you'll dry out) then I put a little erythromiacin gel around my mouth and let that dry followed by La Mer night cream (but i'm sure you could use another cheaper night cream by Aveeno or neutrogena). Morning routine- splash face w/ water and dry followed by day moisturizer (i use La Mer but again i'm sure you could use Aveeno or Neutrogena and be fine). I absolutely cannot believe that after YEARS of treatments that this is the combination that works for me. Nothing has come close to repairing my skin like this regimine and the best part is that i'm not scratching and touching my face anymore! Good luck to you all!!!!!!
|

replied September 11th, 2010
Give Vinegar a go
Yes, I have had it for a relatively short time maybe 3 months, but have found it very irritating.

Guess what got rid of it?!!

I first put lemon on it....then up to vinegar when I saw I was getting results.....and yes it is gone. The lemon got rid of the lumps but not the red.
The vinegar got rid of the lumps and the red. WOW Happy
Days!!!
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
Hello and God Bless you!!!
I have suffered from PD for about 5 yrs and it was the cause of my depression! I read your advice about lemon and ACV and tried it immediately. By morning I could not believe my eyes! The rash has gone by 90%. I will continue using this wonderful 'potion' for as long as it takes. I should also say that Fluoride toothpaste and Neutrogena dry touch sunblock could be named as one of the main culprits in the flair ups. Thank you, once again!!!
|

replied April 6th, 2014
Hi and thank you for this advice!
Ive been going crazy since I stopped using my topical steroid. My skin has had such an outburst after getting addicted to the cream. I've been crying every single day for the last weeks because everyone was saying nothing would work… well that's not true.

It's not fully gone yet but the vinegar has already made a difference over night. will keep you posted… you might just be my life saver … thx, CJ xx
|

replied September 11th, 2010
I like the natural stuff like lemon/vinegar. Im glad that worked. I went to natural also. For skin i like tea tree oil or lavender. Also using it a couple weeks it got rid of the red rashy area and was overall good for the skin.
|

replied October 31st, 2010
Going on the above advice and other forums, I used organic apple cider vinegar mixed in equal quantity with fresh lemon juice dabbed on the nasties twice a day and it certainly did the trick to get rid of PD for me. Visibly reduced bumps and redness within 24 hours and within 3 days almost gone bar some faint redness and a couple of tiny new spots. Extra benefits were: helped speed up the healing on other acne/pimples, made skin feel smooth/firm and didn't cause dryness/flakiness. This is a miracle cure and I can't believe I spent the last 3 months in total misery over PD before using ACV.
|
Users who thank misspickle for this post: Mimihello 

replied November 12th, 2010
P.S. Update on the above. Been using acv and lemon juice for 3-4 weeks. Does the trick at clearing up nasties quicker than leaving them. Doesn't really prevent new patches appearing too well but at the same time they do not seem to be as vigorous as without. But does clear up the patches once and for all so I have nice clear skin where the nasties were. Also, WARNING, I tried neat acv for a couple of days and that made things worse, very bright red and sore, so acv should be diluted or mixed with the lemon. Still very pleased that I have my old face and confidence back.
|
Users who thank misspickle for this post: Mimihello 

replied February 18th, 2011
Perioral Dermatitis - What worked for me.
Hi, I'm a 28 year old male who has suffered from perioral dermatitis. I have been free of this disease for 4 months now. My case was quite severe, with it affecting both sides of my mouth down to my chin, under my nose and below both eyes. It was one of the more embarrassing things I've ever gone through. It caused me much depression and I ended up isolating myself from people for quite a while. It lasted for about 7 months. I tried doxycycline for 2 months which seemed to slightly help but worked very, very slowly.

What WORKS are as follows:

TOPICAL TREATMENTS

-Plain yogurt applied on the rash morning and night. Leave on until dry. This seemed to work best of any topical remedy I tried. It must be organic with live cultures. The live cultures (good bacteria) combat the bad bacteria causing the infection. Does not work immediately. You must be patient.

-Calendula Cream by California Baby. Can be ordered online or bought at health food stores. This product is all natural and contains no chemicals. It's recommended for eczema and other skin sensitivities. I've found that many things used to treat eczema also help PD. I used this in between yogurt applications. It helps keep the rash moisturized. It contains calendula, coconut oil, aloe vera and vitamin E oil. All of which are very good for the skin.

-Organic pure aloe vera gel. Is very gentle on the skin. Aloe vera is anti-inflamatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. Skin Gel - Ultimate Skin Treatment by Aloe Life is a good product. It has vitamins A, C and E added. I have been using this also as a preventative since my PD has gone away. Works well to fight acne also.

-Vitamin E oil keeps skin moisturized, is an antioxidant and prevents scaring. You can buy vitamin E softgels and puncture a hole in the capsule if you have a hard time finding straight vitamin E oil.

-Use all natural and/or organic facial soap. Neem soap works well for me. Neem is an indian herb very good for clearing up skin irritations. Find a soap where you can look at the ingredients and pronounce them. TheraNeem Organix and Neem Aura are good brands. Stop using soaps and shampoos that contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Ammonium Laurel Sulfate (ALS) known to worsen or cause the condition.

-Stop using toothpaste with flouride which is also known to worsen or even cause the condition. Tom's toothpaste or Jason Brand are good products. It is a misconception that you need flouride to prevent cavities.

INTERNAL TREATMENTS

Vitamin and mineral supplementation are by far the most important aspect to combating PD. Take plenty of vitamins A, B, C and E. I'm not talking about vitamins you buy at the grocery store. You need quality vitamins from a health food store or bought online. Solaray and NOW are good brands. Research online for other quality vitamins. Vitamin A in the form of beta carotene for new cell growth. Vitamin B12 (sublingual, at least 1000 micrograms per day if not more) for stronger skin barrier, and vitamin C and E to decrease inflammation and as antioxidants. Get vitamin C with bioflavonoids which further decrease inflammation. Also, vitamin D in the form of sunlight works very well. Calcium is also very important and works synergistically with the vitamins and helps absorption. Note: do not overdo vitamins A, D and E. They are fat soluble, meaning your body stores them in fat cells and the liver and can become toxic if taken in excess for too long. Check online for proper dosage.

Perioral dermatitis is potentially a life-long disease but does not need to be. With many differing opinions as to what causes it, here are my views: Thyroid imbalances, which cause hormonal imbalances and vitamin and mineral deficiencies leave our bodies more open to disease and infection, seem to be the most likely culprit. Thyroid imbalances cause deficiencies of vitamin B12 and calcium, which are both very important to proper skin health. PD mainly affects women, which makes sense, who have all kinds of wild hormones, ha. And unfortunately I am in the minority of males with PD and I suffer from thyroid problems. Proper diet and supplementing vitamins and minerals will correct deficiencies. Flouride, SLS, ALS, aspartame (or any artificial sweetener), and most bizarre chemicals that we ingest too much of in our day to day life very likely also contribute to a weakened immune system and PD.
As a final note...I feel for those afflicted with PD and have the utmost sympathy. Try not to stress over this condition because stress and anxiety only make the symptoms worse. I know it's very difficult to not be self-conscience with a rash on your face in our society so concerned with appearance. But who knows, maybe it's some karmic lesson about vanity or to allow you to understand it does not matter in the slightest what other people may think. If it is looked at as a lesson to be learned you will come out of it stronger and better than you were. Have faith that your condition will improve. A positive outlook, in my experience, is the best medicine there is.

-Dave.
|

replied May 4th, 2011
I had this for about 7 years now. I had tried many cream but nothing seems to work. Last measure, I tried doxycline but it comes back after I stop taking doxycline. So far I had been able to control it with Paw Paw Ointment, it's the only thing that has worked best so far. I applied it every day (after shower and before going to bed). I'm still not cured, but Paw Paw Ointment has allow the skin around my mouth to be normal again.
|

replied March 8th, 2012
plz check my post (march Cool for more details. i treated my PD as mites or fungal condition and work for me. i wash my face (NOT eyes area) with dandruff shampoo and use antifungal cream 3 x a day also antifungal liquid. it worked for me i hope work for u too. lily1964
|

replied September 14th, 2011
I've had POD for about 3 months now and it's driving me crazy. Upon other recommendations I've read, I have been taking acidophilus and drinking ACV (in apple juice)for weeks and haven't noticed any difference. I've also been putting plain Greek yogurst on the affected areas and have seen mild improvement with this. Last night I did one part to one part ACV and water topically on the affected areas and the bumps were 90% gone by morning. I will keep with this and see how it goes, but the area is still red. Any advice for getting rid of the redness? I read about Violet Essential Oil on another website, so I may give that a try. Thank you all for your postings. They are not falling on deaf ears or eyes.
|

replied September 28th, 2011
I was recently diagnosed with PD and am beyond suffering from it. I only have a red rash around my mouth whereas some people have bumps too, so I am thankful for that. However I find it discouraging that there are SO MANY methods to try. I am a broke college student and I really don't know where to begin on all of these treatments. I am on monocycline right now and just bought a whole bunch of products without SLS.

I am going to try the tea tree oil but am curious as how to apply it? I read somewhere to NOT put it directly on the skin because it may worsen the condition.

I am feeling very helpless, any kind of advice would help.
|

replied October 6th, 2011
might know this already but stay away from sulfates, alcohols, petroleum products (ex. vaseline), spicy food, menthol/minty stuff, cinnamon, and isopropyl myristate.
And throw out most lip treatments (stuff with beeswax prevents natural cell turnover and makes it worse in long run)and stay away from steroidal creams (makes it come back worse). Try a natural calendula cream or balm but check ingredients first and take 500 mg 2x a day of black currant oil (great omega anti-inflammatory but takes a few weeks to work.. but what doesnt?) Hope this helps!
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Has anyone heard of terrasil? I heard somewhere it was good for treating PD
|

replied March 8th, 2012
Get rid of PD perioral dermatitis
I do have PD and try many things like most of u, from pills, creams, RXs and many home remedies, but this was what work for me. I started treating my PD as mites or fungal infection. I use dandruff shampoo (which is and anti-fungal shampoo, a generic brand for head n shoulder because I have sensitive skin.(nizoral is the recommended- but too strong for my sensitive skin) to wash my face with it (NOT eyes area) (the first time I letted sit in my face like for ten minutes and I saw a big differece right way) dry all the bumps, ichying was gone. After I rinsed my face and dry it well I applied an anti-fungul cream (oxistat 1% is RX but lotrimin is over the counter) 3 days later big improvement. Now that my condition is better I am going to put lanolin (lanolin is to help heal sore, cracked nipples, fos women that breastfeeding) to help the skin healing process faster (like I said nizoral was to strong for my skin so it buned my skin a little). there were 2 areas that dint clear so i applied a antifungal liquid call NO MORE FUNGUS (sally hansen brand) 3 hrs later big difference. i u try this u should see good results in 2 to 3 days. I hope this help others.
|
12 >>