Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Crown

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I'm not sure how my dental crown is supposed to feel. When I had the temporary crown in I felt no difference than any of the other teeth. Now that the real crown is in I feel a difference compared to all my other teeth. It's not pain. It's not loose. If I bite down I don't feel anything. If I rub my finger across my upper lip I feel "something" in the tooth. (if I was forced to describe it I would say it's a slight pain, but it's so mild I hate to describe it as pain.) if i'm shaving and go over that area of the crown I can feel the difference on that tooth. I don't have time or money to go back to the dentist especially if this is normal. I would write this off if I didn't remember that the temporary didn't feel like this. Does anyone know if a crown is supposed to feel exactly like every other tooth in your mouth? Or is there a slightly different feeling? Pat
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 27th, 2005
A crown will feel a little different. But usually people complain about the temp crown feeling not like a tooth because they are rough. The temp crown however would have been made from a mold of the existing tooth so it would have felt like your old tooth. Now you have something created by a lab, in what the ideal shape should be.The new crown should feel smooth and the shape should fit in with the rest of your teeth. If you had it done recently I would go back. Maybe it is too big in your bite and needs adjustment. Also sometimes they make crowns too bulky and that can feel strange. You mentioned you feel it with your lip when you shave so it must be a front crown. Unless the tooth has had a root canal it will have sensation. Anytime a crown is too big and is hitting an opposing tooth to hard it can cause some pain (sort of bruises the tooth if left for awhile).Your dentist should not charge for an adjustment done to a crown he's made whether its to the bite or to the shape. Maybe go check it out. It's going to drive you crazy if you don't.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Crown
Bt
thanks. You must know me. Thinks like this drive me crazy. If something is wrong I have no problem dealing with it. If I don't know if or why something is wrong it drives me crazy. Thanks again, I think i'll go and have it checked out. Pat
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2005
Experienced User
Ya its nothing too serious, all crowns will feel a lil different the first time they get put it. Your teeth are jusst sensative to it right now and will take some time to get used to it.
|

replied December 20th, 2011
frontal crowns
I've had my two front crowns and I regret ever getting them. I was only replacing a small chipped front tooth and my dentist should have strongly suggested the more conservative bond replacement. Instead, I let them shave down my two beautiful, natural teeth and my nightmare began there. The crowns were opaque and didn't match. They were shaped nothing like the temps. I even went to the lab to have the color matched. Once on, they matched under the bright lights in the dental office, but not in natural light. I got out to my car and looked in the mirror and almost cried. Hated the whole experience. My husband told me they looked great, so I thought I was "seeing things." They also grew out because the shape was bulkier and hit on my bottom teeth at night (my teeth were straight before). Got braces then decided I couldn't live with the color. Replaced the discolored crowns to change the color, but got the right color and not the right shape. Had to have one replaced and the other ground down. They were so bulky it caused a lisp. The first ones didn't cause this. They never once looked anything like the temps--one crown replaced 3 times and it was different every time. Don't let your dentist tell you it's easy. Labs hand-make these. Seriously, it's a gamble!! It's art and you will never meet the artist. They could do it 10 times and it will be diffferent each time. Isn't that scary? It should be. Had I known this, I would have run as fast as I could from my dental office. Since then I my bite is off, they feel weird and I've had repeated visits between the dentist and ortho. If you are a dentist reading this ALWAYS strongly offer the more conservative approach. I should have just replaced the bonding and I would not have gone through the nightmare I did for 2 years. Now, I have fake feeling teeth, my bite is a mess and my speech is a mess. If you are a dentist reading this, do your patient a favor and recommend only replacing the bond. Frontal crowns upset a very delicate balance between speech and everything else. If you feel your dentist is only telling you positive things or not saying anything at all...then it's either ignorance or apathy. Run and don't look back.
|