Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

bumps showing up on my forehead

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
For the last 5 to 6 weeks i’ve been having a problem with some type of bumps showing up on my forehead. At first I thought it was spider bites so I fogged the house. Then I noticed that i’d be sitting at my desk at work and late in the afternoon another bump would show up. At first they where small but as time has progressed they have been getting bigger. I started eliminating things out of my normal routine thinking I was having an allergic reaction to something I was wearing (changed my hair soap, body soap, hair conditioner, hair gel, body lotion, cologne, etc.) none of which stopped the bumps from coming. Next I tried to eliminate stuff out of my diet which still has not helped. I decided after trying this to go to the doctors office and have him take a look. The first visit I was prescribed a zpack and some allegra. That night I broke out even worse and the left side of my face decide it was time to swell up and close my eye. I went back to the doctor at which time he gave me a steroid shot and a prescription of steroid. He told me to use johnsons & johnsons to wash with from this point on, and then sent me to an anesthesiologists who had some blood work done and added a few new prescriptions. The steroid seems to work when I have at least 40mg in my system (at least the bumps went away while I was on that dosage (after the shot) and only when I went down to 30mg did the problem start coming back. When I got my blood work back he had tested for immunities problems but said my blood looked ok. I have tried everything I know and i’m now at a loss for what I should do next. I can’t stand this and needless to say it’s getting old not going in public because I look like I just got the crap beat outta me. Please help if you have any idea what I should do next. I have spoken with tons of people and have tried to change everything I could diet and life wise that my be giving me this type of reaction to no avail. Now i’m just lost and getting real tired of looking like this.

I do have pictures and will be more then willing to send them should you want to look.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sonawasa
|

replied March 26th, 2009
me too
when you find out what the problem is, please email me, bc i have noticed the same thing...and i have never the typ eof person to break out....

|

replied October 3rd, 2012
this is related to a stress allergy. i had the same problem. my dermatologist gave me some strong anti allergy course for 14 days and thankfully havnt had it ever since for abt last 5 mnths
|

replied October 25th, 2012
bump on forehead
I too have the same problem. I went to a doctor and he said it was stress. And I have noticed that everytime I stress or worry about something the bump on my head shows up. It's all stress related.
|

replied May 19th, 2014
I have been suffering from the same problem. I have been to ENT. Had checked for Sinusitis, and understood that it is not the issue. As per doc's advice I had done blood test and doc said report looks fine. I was suggested to take allegra for 1 week. After 1 week bump reappeared. From all your posts i understand that it is to do with stress.
|

replied March 26th, 2009
An Update
Hello there,

Well it's been a few years since all of this and I was never able to get any further help or answers for that matter. I went to a dermatologist who did biopsies on the bumps at two different times and of course both times it came back as normal. Again I'd get proscribed more steroids which always helped get rid of the bumps until I got off of them at which point they'd be back with a vengeance.

After all this time they've gotten better... well I still get them, but not as inflamed as I used to. To say I look like I was beaten up with a bat was an understatement, now it looks more like small hives. I've had a few bad bouts but they don't happen every day anymore.

I did find out that cheap cologne or perfume seems to make it flair back up, but then even getting too little sleep will bring them around again. I'm pretty damn sure it's some type of allergy but as to what that exactly is I have no clue. I've moved into a new home, changed just about everything I use and eat, and made a conscious effort to monitor daily activity (diet, cologne, any random fragrances (from people I work with) etc.) and got my entire family to switch products trying to nail a more definitive item that causes it, but really it's a guessing game.

I know it's helped me a bit by staying away from cheap air fresheners and fragrances, but it hasn't eliminated it. It might not have anything to do with smells, but so far it's the only thing that seems to reproduce the bumps.

My suggestion would be to start there, it is hard to do and often not very cheap, but it give you a starting point. Wear only one type of fragrance, use a fragrance free soap, lotion, shampoo, etc. and see if that gives you any relief. If it does, introduce one item at a time, again waiting a week before going to the next item to see if you can find the magic one. I can't swear that this will fix it, but it helped me get to point that I could go in public without feeling like a leper.

Good luck and let me know if any of this helped or if you find something that worked for you.

Jim
|

replied May 19th, 2014
Jim,

You are still having this problem? Please let me know.

Regards,
Naveen
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
RED ITCHY LUMPS ON FOREHEAD?
i have this, i get very itchy red lumps on my forehead and around my hairline, i thought i was reacting so changed just about everything in my diet/lifestyle, my advice: DON'T!!! all you need is a regular sleeping pattern. everytime i would wake up in the middle of the night or go to bed late i would break out in these red itchy lumps. now i keep a regular sleepin pattern ie; bed at 10.30pm wake up at 7am. i'm fine !! i also keep myself cool in bed, if its summer i don't use a duvet, only have a throw on the bed, if its winter i use a duvet and no extra blankets as when you sleep you tend to get hotter. hope this helps. also if you do give in and itch the lumps, calamine lotion/cream is brilliant for irritation and stops the itchy for a good few hours. Hallie xxx
|

replied December 21st, 2011
Stress Related Bumps
Sounds like they are caused from stress. Stress can cause alot of health issues, and when you've explored what seems like every physical option ...what else could it be but stress. I would suggest eliminating stress related issues/situations in your life as much as possible. Yoga and Meditation is also very beneficial, not to mention 8hrs sleep, exercise (which eliminates stress) and eating healthy (fruits & veggies). I personally like to read good, peaceful, positive & uplifting spiritual books and also spend at least a couple hours alone in peace ...or just relaxing at home watching tv or with animals.

I was told Tea Tree Oil can help heal these bumps & reduce swelling. Can get Tea Tree Oil from a health food stores or vitamin & suppliment stores ...possibly grocery stores.
|

replied November 27th, 2012
Bumps on forehead
out of all the places for this to happen the forehead. These bumps came 3 weeks ago after i went for a jog but i was wearing a touque and probaly had hair gel in my hair. At first i thought it was a bad breakout but they didnt go away and no acne product or amount of washing has been helping. its so weird you can only see them in a certain angle and light. I have had alot of stress lately and lack of sleep at times. I am going to pray like a warrior that they go away along with getting more sleep and less stress. thanks all for the advice here. It also helps to know you are not alone. dont use hair gel or spray it seems to make it worse. keep posted and ill post back soon to report what works and doesnt work.

J
|