Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Is Gout Hereditary?

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
For teh past couple of weeks, my mom has had extreme pain in her right knee. The pain did not start out being small and then gradually build in intensity - it appeared suddenly and was rather painful as well. My mom originally thought it was arthritis, but then she figured it couldn't be because of how fast it appeared.

She describes the pain as feeling like someone is squeezing her knee with a pair of pliers, and the pain will shoot up into her thigh. Driving aggravates the pain a whole lot, and sometimes she cannot sleep because of the pain.

She told me that her father had gout in his knee, and she believes that this condition may be hereditary. I do not know the symptoms of gout, so I can't make an "educated guess" if it really is gout. And if I know my mom, she will refuse medical help until she can't walk anymore, because that's just the way she is.

Can you guys offer me any words of wisdom? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper painfree
|

replied July 25th, 2005
Experienced User
There is a hereditary component to gout, but not necessarily in the same joint. But gout occurs only in joints. If your mom is experiencing pain in her thigh, it could be something else like a compressed nerve in or below her spine. She needs a doctor to diagnose it correctly. I had a similar experience that I thought at first was a recurrence of my gout until the pain began to migrate down my leg. My doc correctly diagnosed it as sciatica. It was cleared up after 10 sessions of physical therapy, and has never recurred.
|
Did you find this post helpful?