Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Dull Ache Under Right Ribs (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I occasionally get a a slight dull ache under my right rib cage. The pain is not hard, not very painful, not severe, not sharp or it doesnt move to the back. It does not come on after eating, it comes on when and if it likes. For example its now 8 eight hours since I had lunch and nothing in between. I dont eat any fatty foods like burgers, fries or other fried stuff (although I used to weeks or months ago only at lunch while at work), I am not fat as well, im about 65kg, im slim, in my early 30's, but only my stomach looks bit fat thats all no other part of me.

The only other problem I have is I cant eat anything too big, I can only small portion otherwise I get full quick and sometimes feel bloated. Rennie doesnt work with me, I once tried zantac - it made my bloatedness so worse I thought I was gonna burst. Thats it.

So, what im really concerned about is the slight dull ache I keep getting occasionally, its not constant either, it just comes and goes. Most part of the day there no ache at all.

Help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pumpkin57
|

replied December 23rd, 2005
Hello There!
Wow! You have exactly the same symptoms as me. I am a 24 year old male. And have been suffering with these symptoms for years. Alls I can say is ask for an ultrasound scan of your gall bladder. I have just had one and it came back as me having a thickend wall gall bladder. You dont have to have pain in your back for it to be your gall bladder, people have different symptoms.
I have to see a surgeon in a few months...Looks like I will have to have it out. Nice!

Take care
|

replied January 8th, 2006
Experienced User
You could be having problems with your gall bladder, but another possibility is a hernia. It can bring on similar symptoms. But yup, definitely go to a doctor and request for a stomach x-ray and ultrasound done.

But I can tell u the stomach x-ray isn't fun. I had it once. They make u drink this barium solution which is thick, chalky, and white along with gas pills. Think of it as a early morning milkshake. =d

good luck!
|

replied January 11th, 2006
I Dont Know What This Pain Is
My first pain that I experienced was back in jan. 05 I would get some pains here and there. They we always in the morning, but as soon as I ate something they went away. During this past summer I would be working and the pains would come and go. There would be days where my stomach would hurt so bad that it made back pains. I had a hard time working with these pains specially when it affected my middle/lower back. Now the thing that helped calm the pains is if I sat down but if I ate something it totally took care of the pains. I went to the doctor about 3 weeks ago for this because now it is a every day occurrence and some days its too much pain in my back. The doctor said it was an ulcer and had me get on nexium the get a endoscope done. The endoscope showed no ulcer but I had inflammatory in my stomach. So now they want me to get an ultra sound on my abdoman. If I dont eat anything the pain gets so bad that I cant stand and feel nausiated and light headed. Is it my back or stomach?
|

replied April 16th, 2009
pain under right ribs
I have the same thing -- sometimes gets painful if I sleep in wrong position, but mostly just uncomfortable. Can't bear a heavy book on my ribs when reading in bed. Turns out I have a big scar in my lower right lung -- probably got it when taking a bad tumble on a bicycle about 50 years ago. Only discovered the reason recently when having routine lung x-ray for TB etc. But get a doc to check it out. It could be something weird and "ideopathic" [medispeak for "dunno"]
|

replied May 28th, 2009
pain under right rib close to very bottom of rib.
I have had this pain for almost a year now. My doc sent me for a scan on my [gall bladder and liver] .Came back fine. It is a constant dull ache. I went to a chiropractoe yesterday- he found one of my right ribs out. He adjusted it and said to see if that helped. AT this time it has not !! I will ask for the upper [gi] .I do not like it -but- at least I will know. I am about 25 lbs. overweight.Wandering if that could irritate it. I can stand the ache if I know what it is.
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2009
I'm 24 and female.i have a similar problem.I get an occasional dull ache in my right side just under the rib cage.However the ache tends to move to the right side of my mid back and then to my mid abdomen till it just aches all around my rib cage. I also get nausea if the ache intensifies.I usually take an ibu,hot bath and then lay on a hot pad.tends to help a little,but not much.It comes and goes.It can last from a day to a week depending an the severity.I've had it for over 8 years.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I have had the same ache. I will wake up in the middle of the night with a bad ache under my right rib cage. It will sometimes last for days. I also get a bad onset of aching on the right of my belly button. That will come out of no where and will last for about and hour. I cant stand straight up, and just have to lay there until the pain goes away. The last episode lasted 3 days and I could not pick up my children because just to touch my stomach hurt. Has anyone had those same pains? |I have had a endoscope and nothing was found...It seems that just to make an appt these days takes up to a year. I am 33, 130 pounds. The only fat really is on my stomach. Always had bloating and low self esteem about that....can't seem to get rid of it.
By the way the aching and stomach pain only really started after my second child!!!
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I'm a male 69 y.o., 70 kg healthy. I have a mild dull pain below the right nipple about 5 ribs up from the bottom right rib. I have had CT scans, a lung needle biopsy, and a PET scan to check for lung cancer, which found a nodule the shape and size of a pea in the central lobe of my right lung. There is no positive indication of malignancy. The pain may not be related, but it's a constant reminder of the nodule now, and I don't want to be a constant source of funds for the radiology clinic, so I will probably have it removed. My suggestion - GET CHECKED! Early detection is the key. Read up on the PET scan, it can detect many cancers so it's worth having. And stay away from chiropracters.
|

replied February 6th, 2011
Dull achy pain under right rib.....persistent but not sharp
My response to Shahan.....I have the identical dull achy pain underneath my right rib.....and I see a holistic healer....and she said my upper bowel was twisted or kinked and she is working on that.....and it has helped but need to see her again this week....so....we shall see. I think she found the answer, since she is excellent in finding cancer in people and blood clots, anurysms, blood deficiencies and so much more! I was worried it could be the liver.....but so far, from what she is able to detect it is twisted upper bowel....probably from lifting, just from every day activity, we don't realize what we've done. So....hope this is helpful!
|

replied March 11th, 2011
Pains right under the Varea of my rib cage.
I am a 29 year old male, and I have been having some major pains right at the V area of my rib cage. I have had this pain before a few years back, and went to the ER. The doctor there did some Xrays, and some other test where I had to drink some nasty stuff. The pains stoped for several years but have recently started back. The pain is only in the front area and does not go to my back.Just to touch the area hurts. I have no pains on the right side of my ribs or back like most of these comments. I am not sure if this pain is related to any others posted,, but has alot of simularities.. Anyone have any ideas??
|

replied May 7th, 2011
I had the same pain, sensitive to the touch. What I found, by chance, was that I wasn't drinking enough water. I now drink a glass when I wake up, first thing, and make a conscious effort during the day. I think we are supposed to have 8 glasses a day; I was no where near that number.
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Dull pain on right side
I have the same dull pain on the right side below the rib cage. I often times get bloated as well but not all the time. This past week it flared up again with the pain, nausea and headache. The pain starts usually after I eat and sometimes when my stomach is empty, while eating the pain goes away and then shortly after eating the pain comes back again. I get headaches as well and have nausea sometimes. Can anyone tell me what this is
|

replied July 25th, 2011
I have had this same set of symptoms (pain under right rib cage, feeling like it's bloated under there, seems to get worse and better at certain times but always there) This has been going on for 12 years! When i went for diagnosis back then they did a scope down my throat to look for stomach ulcers. They didn't find one but could not get all the way into the duodenum and said that was the likely cause. (duodenal ulcer). It is eacerbated by fatty foods, carbonated beverages, and stress! It still comes and goes. I wish it would be solved for sure but it may never go away and never be officially solved. Anyone else have this happen?
|

replied January 15th, 2012
Mine recently came about during the final mg of Effexor XR I was coming off of; so it may be stress related. I wish I knew what it was for sure, cause I could then be in a more optimistic mood and less stressed. Catch 22?
|

replied October 31st, 2011
I have the same thing. I've had the battery of tests done (CT scan w/ contrast, ultrasound, blood, urine, X-ray)..Nothing!
Food or drinks mask the ache, but they resurface later in the day. Standing or sitting for to long makes it worse. it feels like a muscle as bending over to the left hurts. If i try to stretch it, I irritate more. I have a tender spot under my last few ribs in the back (as if I've been hit or punched)I have a tight pressure feeling all around the right flank area. I thought UTI,or Kidney, but could this be a back issue? This will last about 6wks, settle down for about 2wks, then it flares up again. I,m very nervousness that this might be something serious.
I,m a 39yr male
155lb's
Healthy diet
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Exact type symptoms and same tests done. Anything new or found out since you posted Rich72 ? I've dealt with this for about 2 yrs. on and off and it's more annoying than anything.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
Right rib ache
I have the exact dull ache recently it is daily but more so in the morning - i am also bloated not sure if this is linked. im awaiting a ultrasound (NHS) Sad
i do feel better that im not the only one. does anyone know of anything to rid of the ache?

H
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
pain under right rib
i have a similar pain it is on the right side under my rib but to me i always feel it . It feels like a rib bone but i know it is not. I had a CT scan and now waiting for ultrasound.
|

replied January 13th, 2012
I have the same thing, on and off for years. Had various tests including a colonoscopy (yuk). My gastroenterologist said to avoid, cucumbers,soft drinks,nuts, chocolate,wine,beer and anything instant (like coffee). Seems to help if I stick strictly to the rules. It gets expecially bad if I eat chocolate.
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have had the same issues for years. It has come and gone, sometimes so bad, id feel like i was going to pass out from the pain, and a couple times I did. I have been checked for appendicitis, kiddney stones, and gall bladder so many times. I get my pain just under the rib cage, and most of the time rapping around the flank into my back. After tons of visits to my family doc, emergency rooms, and tons of tests and scans, I have been told it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I believe that most of you people posting here, are suffering from IBS. Look it up. It causes these flare ups. Sometimes I get it so bad, the pain starts in my lower right abdomen, spreading up to my rib cage, around to the lower/mid back, and Ive even had it go down into my groin, and down my right leg as well. Its because we have so many nerves and muscles, that can be affected in this area. Not sure about others here, but most of the time, I can link these flare ups, to being constipated, or bad diet. With the IBS, I have been on and off constipated for years. I know I dont drink enough water, so when I get really backed up, I get these flare ups. I think that the bowels or colon gets inflamed or out of shape, which puts pressure on the nerves/muscles. Im not a doc, so definately ask your doc if this could be the problem for you. Anyways, good luck to all, and I know what your going through! Try and stay possitive, because when you get worked up about it, and scared, it causes you to constantly dwell on it, and it makes things worse. I believe for me it has caused me anxiety! I used to be able to go anywhere, and do anything, and since having this for years with no real help from my doc, Ive found I am always wanting to stay close to home. cause I have this stupid fear that if I leave town, Im going to get sick, and I wont know how to get to a hospital, or get home in time. So, I just dont go anywhere. It starts to take over your life, once it gets bad enough.
Hope this helps!
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have had the same issues for years. It has come and gone, sometimes so bad, id feel like i was going to pass out from the pain, and a couple times I did. I have been checked for appendicitis, kiddney stones, and gall bladder so many times. I get my pain just under the rib cage, and most of the time rapping around the flank into my back. After tons of visits to my family doc, emergency rooms, and tons of tests and scans, I have been told it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I believe that most of you people posting here, are suffering from IBS. Look it up. It causes these flare ups. Sometimes I get it so bad, the pain starts in my lower right abdomen, spreading up to my rib cage, around to the lower/mid back, and Ive even had it go down into my groin, and down my right leg as well. Its because we have so many nerves and muscles, that can be affected in this area. Not sure about others here, but most of the time, I can link these flare ups, to being constipated, or bad diet. With the IBS, I have been on and off constipated for years. I know I dont drink enough water, so when I get really backed up, I get these flare ups. I think that the bowels or colon gets inflamed or out of shape, which puts pressure on the nerves/muscles. Im not a doc, so definately ask your doc if this could be the problem for you. Anyways, good luck to all, and I know what your going through! Try and stay possitive, because when you get worked up about it, and scared, it causes you to constantly dwell on it, and it makes things worse. I believe for me it has caused me anxiety! I used to be able to go anywhere, and do anything, and since having this for years with no real help from my doc, Ive found I am always wanting to stay close to home. cause I have this stupid fear that if I leave town, Im going to get sick, and I wont know how to get to a hospital, or get home in time. So, I just dont go anywhere. It starts to take over your life, once it gets bad enough.
Hope this helps!
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
I also have a constant dull ache below the right ribs. This started 3 days ago and hasn't stopped. At times, it gets lesser & sometimes more, but hasn't disappeared. It' concentrated on the front. I haven't anything strenuous, in fact I don't really.

Is there any doctor out there who can help?
|
12 >>