Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Checking Your Pulse

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Anybody else ever check your pulse a lot? I do it all the time. Sometimes I don't even realize i'm doing it until my huband tells me to cut it out. I get scared when it beats fast or hard even though I know it's normal. One time my heart was skipping beats. Thats when I started screaming at my husband. We went to the hospital and he said it was stress and gave me a bunch of ativan.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RonTxJediKnight
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Yeh, i'm constanty doing that...Now it's become a habit and
i do it even though I don't realise i'm doing it...And now my
wrist and neck hurts from constantly taking my pulse
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
I check my alll the time, its a daily habit. I was flippin through channels and fu**** seen Dr.G medical examnier and it was talkin about a brain anurysm and I watched it... Now im scared that I have one, but the one the guy died from was hereditary
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Why do you guys check your pulse? A healthy heart can tolerate a rate of over two hundred beats a minute for days without damage. I doubt any of you are close to that. The heart's a lot stronger than you think.....It doesn't need you to make it beat, it knows what to do so just let it do what it does.
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
I guess for the same reason I look in the mirror to make sure I don't look pale. One time my daughter was haveing trouble breathing and her lips actualy turned blue. So now when I feel like I have trouble breathing I look in the mirror.
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Checking Heart Rate
I check mine alot too, what concerns me is when it beat a few times then skipss and keeps doing that alot.
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Checking Heart Rate
I check mine alot too, what concerns me is when it beat a few times then skipss and keeps doing that alot.
|

replied July 24th, 2005
Experienced User
I've had skipped beats and palpitations since I was a kid. One doctor told me my heart was too strong. Don't worry about skipped beats and palpitations...........Everyone gets them from time to time.
|

replied July 24th, 2005
Experienced User
True.
|

replied July 24th, 2005
Right now im 84 beats per minute no skipps, but alot of times it does :(
|

replied July 25th, 2005
Experienced User
When u get scared all of a sudden dopes it ever feel like your heart flops arou8nd inside your chest
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Experienced User
Mines between 100 and 110 right now.. Mine is always high so I never bother checking it.. But I get those skips as well as palpatations.. My doctor checked me out and said they aren't harmful.. But it is weird when my heart feels like it wants to jump out of my chest...
|

replied November 22nd, 2006
Oh Man I Do the Same Sh*t
Im glad im not alone in this, I constantly check my pulse rate, it has become a daily habit. I do it subconsiously aswell. My husband and friend have to tell me to stop, that will only make me sicker.... My normal rate is from 80-85, but since im on toprol treatment my heart rate has dropped even with anxiety at 70-77, when im at complete rest at home ready to sleep my bp is 90/62 or so and my rate is at 60, which is still catagorized as normal. But it truly is amazing at how anxiety can cause all these physical problems... The highest I have had it was 170bpm.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
checking my pulse all day
i have had those same problems i always feel like im gonna die. i constantly check my pulse to make sure im below 90 & even when im at 90 i freak but my husband tells me to calms down and i cant! i then get lightheaded and dizzy and freak even more. but if you were to hang with me you would notice i check my pulse like every 10 min every day! i have anxiety too so i worrryy alot!
|

replied April 24th, 2010
checking my pulse all day
i have had those same problems i always feel like im gonna die. i constantly check my pulse to make sure im below 90 & even when im at 90 i freak but my husband tells me to calms down and i cant! i then get lightheaded and dizzy and freak even more. but if you were to hang with me you would notice i check my pulse like every 10 min every day! i have anxiety too so i worrryy alot!
|

replied February 10th, 2011
pulse checker
Thank GOD I'm not the only one on this planet that does this stuff!!!
|

i suffer panic disorder and take my pulse at least 8 to 19 times a day if not more i have a electric oxomiter and i have a pulse of 95 min to 145 daily even resting but my heart has done 190 b4 i was in hospital wen it happened and it was all due anxity
|

i suffer panic disorder and take my pulse at least 8 to 19 times a day if not more i have a electric oxomiter and i have a pulse of 95 min to 145 daily even resting but my heart has done 190 b4 i was in hospital wen it happened and it was all due anxity
|

|

replied February 18th, 2011
pulse
my situation is a strange and I need some help. I am constantly checking my pulse on my wrists, but I do not know why because I do not even know how to calculate my pulse. i just am feeling the beat. I don't think it would be a problem but sometime I do it so often that, if I were to add up all the times I check it, I am sure I would figure out that I have wasted a whole lot of time. i don't know why i check my pulse so much. it seems like it is just a weird habit but i can't break it!
|