Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Numb/cold Feeling In Head? (Page 1)

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
The past couple days i've been having a numb/cold feeling in the back of my head and neck. Sometimes the feeling spreads to the top of my head. It sort of feels like the blood coming into my head is cold. Has anyone else experienced this? I've never felt sensations like this before.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pittshady
|

replied July 21st, 2005
I Have the Exact Symtoms
I have been experiencing the exact symptoms. I found this forum from google out of frustration. Anyway here’s my story. Out of nowhere, I was completely exhausted and felt like I had a hangover. My father happens to be a physician and I happened to be visiting and he checked me out. He told me that he thought I had sleep apnea and that my symptoms were consistent with that. My wife can back that up with my horrible snoring. He recommended that I try and loose weight (i’m about 50lbs overweight).

So I began eating healthier and jogging. Lost about 16 lbs so far. The exhaustion went away, but the numbness is still here. The back of my head feels very odd and I get numbness that travels throughout my head to my temples, ears, and sometimes side of my face. The numbness is very dull, not like you would have when getting a tooth drilled at the dentist. Anyway, I was concerned and spoke to my father about it again. He recommended that I see my physician and possibly get a catscan (i live 10 hours from my parents). Went to see the physician and he performed a neurological exam and did not find any problems. He thought that my systems were stress related. My physician recommended that I continue with the weight loss and see him in a month. Now onto the stress. I definitely agree that recently i’ve been stressed. I just started a new demanding job and work about 60 hours a week. I attend graduate school in the evenings and bla bla bla. Needless to say, i’m stressed. I am worried that my symptom are more than stress. Its reassuring to hear that you have similar symptoms. If you’d like to discuss, send me an email with your phone number and i’d be happy to speak with you:
|

replied March 30th, 2011
numbness in face
hmmmm. thanks for posting this. i have occasional numbness over my whole face, (forhead, cheeks, chin, nose, around the eyes) that is becoming more and more noticeable. today, it has lasted about 4 hours so far. its not complete numbness---but that feeling when the numbness is wearing off from a dentist visit. today, was a very stressful day----so, i'm stressed (and also working on losing 60 lbs) so, i'm gonna work on getting calm (by talking to my husband and kids about making unnecessary stress for me) and losing this weight.
|

replied May 9th, 2011
hi i have the same symptoms and ive been out of my mind.Ive been to gp A&E and finallly the dentist.I did need root conal done and he said it could be comeing from that but im not convinced.I an very highly strung and panic very quickly im praying this is something normal and nothing serious.
|

replied September 25th, 2011
So I'm not alone after all!
I find it hard to believe that Im reading the words written on these pages. It is like reading a diary of myself. Im not gonna go into detail as this has now been going on for so long and I do mean years, that I dont even know if I can remember how it all started. Yes I do, it started 3 years ago as a pain in my right eye and forehead area. The GP sent me to a neurologist and they diagnosed MS. 1.5 years later they tell me this diagnosis is wrong, but they dont know what is causing everything. When I told the GP about the feeling of Vicks Vapour Rub in my eyes he looked at me like I was mad. I also have the cold feeling of partial numbness in the face and head area, like you have been to the dentist, but mine also spread to my lips, tongue, mouth and throat area. In the end I lost part of the feeling in my feet and legs and can no longer feel the pedals of the car and ended up having to get hand controls fitted so I could continue to drive. The doctors look at me like Im an alien from another planet, and I thought that I was, and they said they had never heard anything like it before. Then I start looking on the web and keep finding forums where so many people are describing the same sort of thing. Does anyone know the answer? I have had an MRI of the head and neck, but not the spine. I have now got to the point where I have just given up. I dont even bother going to the GP any more as they seem to think Im lying about these strange things that are happening.
|

replied September 26th, 2011
Request a T-Spine x-ray to see if there is constriction in spine
I am not sure but have you had a T-Spine x-ray? My father-in-law was becoming progressively paralyzed and only a fabulous neurologist, Dr. Jeffrey Spiers was able to find the problem from a "T-Spine x-ray" where he discovered a compression of the T-4 and T-5 vertabrae. They operated and he has been fine ever since. This was 4 years ago. My father-in-law is 86 years old!! At first they thought it was neuropathy but it wasn't.
|

replied September 27th, 2011
Numbness in head, face and legs.
HI, the doctors have only ever performed an MRI scan of my head and neck area, they have not looked any further than that. Unfortunately I will not be able to request that my GP perform the suggested X ray, as he says it is all in my imagination and therefore will not even consider ordering any further test to be done. I have to say that this has been 3 years for pure hell so far and just keeps getting worse. I am located in the Uk and our health service here is absolutely diabolical!
|

replied December 31st, 2011
If your Dr is that close minded you need a new one. The day my Dr told me something I told him was in my head that would be the day I got a new Dr
|

replied May 8th, 2012
I have the same symptoms and have been diagnost as pre-diabetic. Get checked. I am also 38.6% on the obsese scale, and I suspect it could be in relation to or a direct factor of having obesity. It could be high blood pressure which I also have, and high stroke possibility rating which I also have.

ALSO GET A SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH, FIFTH OPINION if you think there is something wrong with you keep going to different doctors and telling them so. Your own intution about your body is better than any single or multiple opinions combined.

I might point out that the pain and numbness you describe is related to neuropathy caused by undiagnosed or undiagnosible diabetes, and low blood flow. You could be suffering from pre-strokes, or mini-strokes and not know it. (American Journal of Health 2011) I would recommend a full cardiovascular test where they put you on a treadmill for 2 hours and test your heart rate and bloodpressure periodically. Even if you are 'too young' for this test, demand it anyway. It may save your life.

I will tell you this much, I was suffering from numbness when waking in the morning, pins and needles in my feet and legs so bad I'd fall over getting out of bed. It seems to reduce symptoms to exercise 3 hours a day at the gym go light don't push yourself, 2 hours on treadmill. After dinner walk around the block. Change your lifestyle and make this mandatory.
|

replied December 19th, 2008
Head Numbness
I just started to experience this numbness in the back of my head. I'm a working mom....so yes, very stressed & very tired. Is this all it is? Stress??

I'm afraid there might be something else to this. I'm going to get myself checked out as I can't seem to find any straight answers on the internet.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
numbness post cervical traction
This morning after my traction therapy, when I sat up, the back of my head was numb and I felt very spacey. Then there was a sensation of hot/cold cascading down from the top down. I am still feeling odd and my face feels as if I have had novacane and the sensation is just coming back in places, but not all over.

I am worried that something happened during traction to cause this.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Numb Cold Feeling in brain
For the past 1 week plus i have been having the exact symptoms of this weird numb cold feeling inside my head as if it is a regional area of the brain and this only happens after I have woken up from sleep. I thought it might be due to lack of blood circulation to the head but then again i have never had this feeling before. It feels rather unusual to have this. I am not sure if this is stress related.
|

replied May 10th, 2009
Numb cold feeling in brain
I have been experiencing the exact same thing. I was thinking maybe it was symptoms of my blood pressure med. verapamil. I wish someone would have warned me about all the SERIOUS side effects some medications have.
I too, have a scheduled MRI. It's better to be safe and explore the causes. It is the weirdest feeling, like a dream or
"out of body" experience.
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Numbing/Tingling sensation in head
I too have also had a numbing feeling in my head and have also been told by doctors that it is due to stress. I had a CT Scan that came up normal. Lately I've noticed that it becomes quite prominent after I eat something hot and it spreads over the entire left side of my head. Has anyone had that happen?
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Yes the same thing happens to me and I have noticed it worse after eating something hot. It's been almost two years of hell so far. I have been to the hospital several times, had x rays and cat scans and.they say it's nothing. I'm on a waiting list to have an mri since I have no.insurance. It's really god awful, I feel like they dont believe me or they say its anxiety. Why would anyone choose to feel this awful? It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to leave my house because I feel like I'm going to pass out all the time. Help someone!!
|

replied December 20th, 2011
Yes the same thing happens to me and I have noticed it worse after eating something hot. It's been almost two years of hell so far. I have been to the hospital several times, had x rays and cat scans and.they say it's nothing. I'm on a waiting list to have an mri since I have no.insurance. It's really god awful, I feel like they dont believe me or they say its anxiety. Why would anyone choose to feel this awful? It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to leave my house because I feel like I'm going to pass out all the time. Help someone!!
|

replied June 15th, 2009
Very recently, I feel this sort of creeping coldness that starts from the right side of my neck and creeping through the right side of my skull. I feel it at different times of the day. It feels like somebody is blowing very cold air to the right back side of my head.
I don't feel any numbness or pain.
Some very superstitious people think, somebody, a spirit is with me. ha-ha.
Please, is this something that I should medically be concerned about?
Thanks.
|

replied April 14th, 2012
I came across this website it may be long ago but I have the same cold feeling on the back of my neck really strange !! I don't have any medical explanation for it and it very well could be supernatural at least in this case of the cold sensation .. There is no pain or numbness just a very cold area Feels like something cold is touching my neck .. I'm not crazy either .. Im a medical assistant I work in a hospital ..
|

replied June 21st, 2009
Numbness in head
Hi, I have numbness/tingling in my head, started about 3 weeks ago. Also feeling pressure behind my eyes all the time and feel the need to pop my ears quite regularly. I wouldnt say any of my symptoms cause me pain i just feel spaced out all the time and in some kind of dream world. Im paranoid that something life threatening is wrong. I also feel very very tired all the time. I am a new mum. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Thanks
|
Users who thank MEESHY for this post: miffy100 

replied April 4th, 2012
I've been having the same exact feelings, I went to my doctor's they did a test to see if I had nerve damage and tested my reaction time. Everything was I want to get an mri to see if I'm alright. But I've waken up with a racing heart. I also am a father to be and i work 50 plus hours a week very stressed out. But everyone here has actualy made me feel better. I will update after I get this mri.
|

replied May 8th, 2012
It might help you more to see a reputable massage parlor.
|

replied June 26th, 2009
Hey! I am having the exact same issue, and incidentally, I am also a new mom, working full time. I am sure you would all agree that it is a very scary sensation. I too am concerned that it is something more than stress, but I have dealt with anxiety before, and it manifests itself in odd ways. Has anybody had success with a particular treatment?
|

replied June 26th, 2009
I got told from the doctor a few weeks ago that i was suffering from anxiety and he gave me anti-depressants which ive never taken. Im thinking its just a mixture of stress/anxiety/hayfever and being a new mum! Im going to go back to the docs though and see if he can refer me to get my head checked - for peace of mind more than anything.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
cold feeling inside back of head
After reading all these post trying to find info with regards to my son, I have to say that everyone's symptoms sound the same as what my son has been complaining about. Only thing is, he's only 5. He recently was diagnosed with Bell's Palsey ... but since other symptoms keep popping up, I'm not totally convinced that is is Bell's.

Sure is hard to find info via the net, telehealth, or the doctors. Sad
|

replied December 31st, 2011
My aunt has been complaining of the same symptoms that is why I am here, looking for an answer for her symptoms. My Aunt has also been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy as well but hers went away. When her head started to go numb she wondered if it was coming back. After reading your post I am thinking it is more likely than not that it is connected to the Bell's Palsy.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2013
Please have your son checked for Lyme Disease because Bell's Palsey is only 1 of many symptoms. I have had chronic Lyme for many years and my symptoms come and go. I hate to see or read about children suffering and I really hope this helps. If you need a LLMD, (Lyme Dr) please let me know and I will help you find one. I also have the cold/numb feeling inside the left side of my head and sometimes it moves..but I always figured that was something else Lyme related.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
I too get the numb feeling in my head, mostly at the front/top of my head. I also have the dull ear ache, popping sensation and pressure. I assume that it is all linked to the anxiety which only really started when i had my third child then has been made worse by a member of the family that is ill and running around after 3 children and having a very busy life and being tired all the time.
I try to reduce the stress factor but how can i really when there just seems so much to do and i worry about so much.
Sometimes i sit back and just think OMGoodness i just dont think i have the energy to worry anymore.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
hi i've been feeling this numness and coldness on the top of my head and it goes all the way to my nose, its been going on for more than two months ive had a cat scan and mri nothing came out, but i still feel it, i have an appointment with a neurologist this coming wednesday hope there is nothing wrong cause i have a two year old son, i wouldnt want to go without seeing him grow up, any advice?
|

replied July 26th, 2009
cold numb feeling in head
well i to have the same symtoms i think u will find thats its a form of migraine thats linked to sinisitus i have been admitted to hospital three times had three lumbure punctures been on numerous medications antibiotics but i find the more worrying i do the more it flares up i suggest u all try menthol inhalation get ur doctor to give u a good decongestant and if there is a pattern to it like me am going through it now since last week it allways comes this time in the summer so u can prevent it by being more relaxed doing steam inhalations 1ce a week its a pain i know because you think something is wrong with u and you don't realise that the thinking is doing more to cause the numbness more harm to u so all just relax have a bath and if ur really concerned you get your doctor to submit u to an neurologist
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
Im feeling the same thing
|

replied August 22nd, 2009
I recently had ankle surgery and was under local anesthedic for six hours. im on a wheelchair for approxiametly six weeks due to no foot bearing. ten days after my surgery i started to feel a cold sensation around my head a few days later i had the same sensation on my left side of head luming my left side of ear. i also experience left side numbness on three finger tips. my symptoms don't seem to go away. im super worried, i think it has to due with the six hours of local anesth. my physican says that its just anxiety
|

replied August 27th, 2009
COLD FEELING RUNNING DOWN IN MY HEAD
Omg! i thought i was the only one going trough this. but i also feel like cold water running down my head! and i am stressing!
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Me too ! i was freaked out when i started to feel a cold liquid feeling in my head then later on my head just went completely numb i went to the hospital in fear of something being wrong and they did a catscan & said everything was fine.everyone says its from stress/anxiety & i have been extremely stressed out lately not to mention i just quit drinking because of how horrible i have been feeling but i think the quitting has also played a role in the anxiety i have been experiencing but it just feels like they're is something wrong it is kinda scaryyy ! i also have been feeling like everything is kind of weary/dreamy as if things aren't real lately has anyone else been feeling this way too? i wish there was some way to make it all dissipate fast these feelings are driving me crazyy!
|

replied September 5th, 2009
my head is numb pressure in my eyes
I Have been having these feelings lately too, my story is this my husband is in the military and we got stationed 3000 miles away from family and friends i hadnt seen my family in almost a year until my husbands mother grandmother and brother came up to visit. I was feeling great not a worry in the world until one night about 2 in the morning i woke up with a feeling of heart burn so bad then it spread through my arms my head and my chest i got up and told my husband to send me to the hospital then i walked into the living room where everyone else was sleeping and said the same thing but this time i lost conciousness. the doc said it was just a stomach virus going around so i started to feel better, then after a month of the family being gone again i had another attack but this time i have been anxious and depressed and thinking something is wrong with me every day. my eyes have so much pressure behind them and my head feels numb i cant show emotion anymore and i cant focus anymore even when im driving im spacing out. idk what this is is it stress anxiety and depression?
|
Users who thank cheyenne90 for this post: msdemena 

replied July 17th, 2012
Cheyenne - I had the same experience yesterday. I woke up twice between 1-2am and on the second time, I felt like having a shortage of breath and something is not right in my stomach-chest area. We went to ER just to be sent back home after several tests that returned negative. When I was working this morning, I just felt numbness and tingling sensation at the back of my head. I was feeling slight numbness in my left hand days ago. Not sure what it is but I went to have CT scan test two months ago for being too dizzy but the result is again negative. I have been in constant pressure and anxiety from work.
|