Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Mothers of Aids Victims

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Are there any parents out there who have sons/daughters who have died of this horrible disease?

Christmas of '94 my older son told us he had hiv (he couldn't say aids.) I told him to move home immediately.

He was home for 8 months and then had to go into the community health center. Private nursing homes wouldn't take aids patients at that time.

He didn't want me to tell anyone about his illness. I told one friend whom I thought was a good friend, and she stopped seeing me.

One day my son was talking to me about what he'd want me to do after he died and he told me not to have a funeral because no one would come. I'll always remember those words. I cry whenever I think about it. It's so sad.

I eventually did tell everyone about his disease and when he died we received beautiful letters from his high school and college friends. He would have been very proud. He just didn't know how highly people regarded him when he was alive. It was too late, but it eased the pain a bit.

He died at the age of 32, in '96. What a loss.
My younger son shares a home with me. I divorced in '03.

I had cancer but the disease I want to see done away with is aids. It strikes such young, vital men and women.

I don't care about my disease. I want the young ones to have a chance.

I find it difficult to believe in god, but I will say to all of you "god bless you."
flying solo
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Your post touched my heart. My uncle died from aids in 1987. My family was great while he was sick. 2 of my uncles (his brother-in-laws) took turns going out of state to the hospice he was in after he could no longer be cared for at home. I admire them so much for this. My grandmother, his mother, brought him home to live when he needed to be there and our family rallied around him. The hospice he was in was located in boston, and I have heard that they were wonderful to him. There are really no words I can think of to comfort you. I have grown children of my own and I know that if one of my sons was terminally ill from anything it would be devastating. I believe that your son, like my uncle, and all of the men and women who have died from this terrible disease, are now free from the pain of their illness, and they are not forgotten by those people who had their lives touched by them. There is an aids quilt that had panels done by family members of aids victims. Contact a local hospice that helps aids patients and post a notice on their bulletin board for other family members and start another quilt to help keep your spirits up. Drug companies are supposedly working hard to find new treatments and there are people searching for a cure. Pray for them as I will pray for you.
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Mother's of Aids Victims
Sybil...Thank you for the lovely reply.
I don't think people realize how many are affected by aids either directly or indirectly.
Thanks again for the encouraging words.
Flying solo
|

replied July 20th, 2005
You're welcome. If you feel down and just need to talk, e-mail me anytime.
|

replied July 24th, 2005
Experienced User
Great Job!
Classic words!

Well written, well done!

Let's put an end to this crap already. One day we'll talk about other things.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Wow i'm in a simiular situation I just found out one of my realitives has hiv. But I haven't seen or sopken to in over in almost 6 years and I don't know how to react cause all I feel in hatred
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Just a word of hope for you all out there, my uncle was diagnosted with hiv 16 years ago. He was a horrible drug addict and im sorry to say that he has done so many horrible things in his life that I cannot forgive him. He has the mental capacity of a four year old from all the heroine he took but has been healthy and is still alive and well. If he, who is still alive and kicking can live with this many others out there can as well.
Good luck to all of you.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
to Mayjor_brat2002
Who do you feel the hatred toward? Are you just disappointed that your relative has the disease or the fact that he or she may be gay?
Flying solo
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Please take that word "hate" or "hatred" out of your vocabulary, it is soooo negative, it just eats you up inside, I am sure if you look deep down hard enough or long enough you will find something good in that person, I am sure their was one time that he was a good person, addicts have no control just like alchoholics or someone that is tooo far gone with alzheimers, it is the disease, not the person, it can be difficult passing on under some situations and their are other times when we are ready.

I am very sorry that you had to lose your son with aids. I wish they could find a cure for a lot of this stuff including aids, cancer, alzheimers and a lot of other things. I have lost so many friends and family with this and that, I do not look at what they pass on with, I just tell myself that they were tired, there heart was tired and it was there time.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
I have nothing against people who have aids and I dont have anything against people who are homosexual, im not going to go into reasons as to why I feel the way I feel towards him, im not even going to go there and people who do not know the situation can not tell me how I should feel towards him. I was simply trying give support to these mothers and tell them that it is possible to live after diagnosis, there coming out with better drugs and "cocktails" to live with it.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry I just realized that you guys weren't talking about me! Just ignore what I wrote.
|

replied September 22nd, 2005
Flying solo....What symptoms did you see when your son died w/aids?
What are the symptoms of aids?
Also, I send my condolences about your son.
|