Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Changed Mole

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
Hi, I have had a mole on my upper arm for a couple of years now. It is a fairly black mole which has always been very flat, in that it could not be felt. I am only 24 and not someone who regularly goes out into the sun nor is that area of my arm really exposed to the sun.

However last week I noticed that my mole has changed. It had rised slightly and developed a very black scab thing over the top of the middle of the scab. I thought it was just a scab so I picked it off. My mole was still underneath the scab, so I didn't think that much of it, however 3 days later another scab had formed on the exact same area ontop of my mole. The scab covers about half of my mole, which is about 5mm in diameter.

However yesterday it was itchy and I scratched off my new scab. My mole now looks like a normal mole, but it is still slightly raised. My mole is fairly circluar with very slight imperfections around the edges.

Could this be melanoma?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pkittycatd
|

replied July 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Go Get It Checked
It may or may not be melanoma. I had a melanoma in-situ removed from my hip when I was 28. It sounds identical to your mole. If there is any change in a mole, you should have it checked as soon as possible. Catching it early is the key. Ease your mind and go to the dermatologist and get it checked. Luckily mine was in-situ (stage 0 cancer). My mole was about the same size as yours, scabbed occasionally, itched, and was in an area that never got sun. That doesn't matter. You can get melanoma on the bottom of your foot. Having been through this, I urge you to have it checked out. Remember the a, b, c, d, and e. If you notice any one (it doesn't have to be all) of these changes, it's time to have it checked:

a-assymetry
b-border
c-color
d-diameter
e-elevation

please let me know how you are doing.
|

replied July 28th, 2005
Got It Removed
Hi, I went to get my mole checked out at a skin cancer clinic. The doctor had a look at it and wasn't quite sure what it was but ruled out cancer, however said that yes my mole was not normal. So under the recommendation that it was to be removed I had minor surgery later that day to get it removed and sent off to a lab to get tested.

My results have come back and apparently it wasn't cancer or anything and there were no problems. It turned out to be a sun damaged mole. So everything is good now!!
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Experienced User
Zephyr
I'm so glad to hear that. You did the right thing by having that checked out. Very smart decision. You just never know what our body can manifest so it's better to play it safe and ask a professional. So, are you wearing sunblock more often now ?? (smile)

crystal
|

replied May 21st, 2009
Scab on mole
I was born with a small black mole on my cheeck, so it has been there all my life, few days ago i felt a little pain (un comfortable) feeling similiar to when you have an underskin spot, and yesterday I noticed elevation on the mole, I scrated it a bit and a scab came off, it bled a little bit but now looks like a mole again. Should I be worried?
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Disfigured Mole ( Right Arm Wrist )
Hi My name david watson i am 15 i have been checking moles on my arm at home and have recently discovered that one of my moles on my arm and Risen Slightly, dif-figured from its original shape and half of the mole has scabed, would it be smart to go get it checked by my local GP or is it a normal thing at my age?
|

replied July 13th, 2009
I am going through this as well. I had 2 moles removed on Friday and am awaiting results. There is only one safe thing to do, see a dermatologist. They are trained in what to look for. He cut out a mole I questioned as well as one on the back of my leg I didn't even know was there!!

He said, even if it comes back as positive melanoma, that we got it super small, and super early and either way it won't do me in. Melanoma is one of the easiest to prevent cancers...you just have to take a few hours out of your day to let a doctor look at you.

Plus, I have the piece of mind now that my skin is ok. I'd say its worth a co-pay.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
does it hurt when ur moles get romoved?
or cut out?
|

replied April 9th, 2011
not at all, you may feel a pull or tug but its fine =)
|

replied April 9th, 2011
not at all, you may feel a pull or tug but its fine =)
|

replied October 26th, 2010
mole
I have a mole below my left breast and it started off brown but has now turned black..
Should i be worried?
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi brightsy: Has it grown?...Is it more of an irregular shape?...Are there colors in it?...These are the things to watch out for in skin cancer...Any new and different appearance should be checked out...I suggest you google Skin Cancer or Melanoma and check out the images on this disease...It is a great reference and will help you ease your mind...However, when in doubt have it checked out...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied December 21st, 2010
Changing mole.....
I have a mole on my forearm that has been there for years, atleast as long as I can remember, I am 40. Last week it started bleeding and turned into a scab and now has disappeared all together. Should I be worried about this??
|

replied May 31st, 2011
i have a mole on my chest, it used to be light brown, ive recently found that it has turned black, im 16 and i never take my top off in the sun (self-concious) what can i do?
|

replied May 31st, 2011
i have a mole on my chest, it used to be light brown, ive recently found that it has turned black, im 16 and i never take my top off in the sun (self-concious) what can i do?
|

replied July 19th, 2012
when i was 15 i found out i had a mole on my nose since the mole was the same color as my skin and was in a spot that made it look normal i never notice it before but then it turn black so i scratch it a scab fell off and it look normal again. but later it came back like in two day my mom told me scratching it could give me cancer so i did not but after a while it got itchy so i scratch it vary and it fell of i really easily. now i am 17 and it came back i wondering if it has cancer or this is normal for a mole.

the mole is normally round skin color . and the scab just looks like a thin kind of transparent brownish color its probably going to fall off before i see my doctor. does any one else mole do this
|