Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Xanax And Dramamine For Flying?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have to fly from nj to fl on july 28th, and I am afraid of flying. I have flown once before, and hated it. Not only am I afraid to fly in general, but I am terrified of heights and am a bit claustrophobic. I have xanax (.5mg) that I will need to take to weather this almost 3 hour flight. But, I also tend to get motion sickness too, and was wondering if I could also take dramamine? Has anyone out there taken both xanax and dramamine when flying? And to add to this, I also have sinus problems and the last time I flew my ears were in misery for an entire day after landing, so I was wondering if I should take a sudafed too, to try to head off any problems with my ears. But is it ok to take sudafed, dramamine, and a xanax? Was wondering if anyone could help....
Thanks!
Debbie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 15th, 2005
Experienced User
to Debbie
I take 1 to 2 mg of xanax and a dramamine when I go on cruises everytime. I'm not sure about the sudafed. I would probably avoid that. Some medications increase anxiety. When I fly, I only take xanax and that knocks me out enough that I don't feel the motion of the plane. But, I think it would be fine to use both for flying. You may want to call a pharmacist to make sure.
|

replied July 15th, 2005
Thanks crystal! I definitely need the xanax.... I won't do without that! But I just wasn't sure if I could combine it. I have read somewhere that people have taken both for flying or boat travel, but I wanted to be sure and hear it from personal experience. I wasn't sure about the sudafed with them though, and I know that sudafed can sometimes have an "excitable" effect, and at other times it can cause drowsiness. I think I have taken it within an hour or so of a xanax before though and had no ill effects. Thanks again,
debbie
|

replied July 15th, 2005
Experienced User
Sounds Good!
Sounds like you have it all set. I agree with you, I would definitely need the xanax most of all. If I had to choose between the 3, xanax it is! (smile) but, sounds like a good idea to take the sudafed before to get it in your system. I find what helps me is to take the xanax a half hour to an hour before I get on the plane. Oh, another thing that helps for me is to hold the hand of the person next to me during take off and landing, even if I don't know him/her. Ha!

Good luck, let me know how it goes.
|