Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Heart Pounding (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Ive noticed this recently and was wondering if it happens to anyone else. Ill just be lying down and ill notice my heart pounding much harder (not faster) that normal, and I can actually hear and sometimes feel it in my head and in the tips of my fingers
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Marikallees
|

replied July 16th, 2005
Experienced User
Happens to me buddy... All day every day... I can always feel it in my head and that is the worst...

James
|

replied March 27th, 2011
j
ppl tats nothing i been feeling strong heaD pain left side tingling on left chest left hand i cnt breathe i ghet panic attacks sometimes i think abt death there was times when i would hear my own toulds its been a year almost thanx my jesus crist im here saying this...
|

replied March 27th, 2011
j
ppl tats nothing i been feeling strong heaD pain left side tingling on left chest left hand i cnt breathe i ghet panic attacks sometimes i think abt death there was times when i would hear my own toulds its been a year almost thanx my jesus crist im here saying this...
|

replied December 13th, 2005
Pounding Heart At Night
When I lay down to go to sleep it takes awhile to finally fall asleep. I can hear my heart pounding in my inner ear. It really bothers me!!

Its an unatural pounding thats been going on for several months now. It happens mostly at night, however there are a few episodes where I might be doing something in the middle of the day and out of the blue my heart will start to race.

Freaked out I went to an emergency room swearing I was about to have a heart attack. They kept assuring me I was fine while they gave me an ekg? And also took blood. They found no evidence of a heart problem and told me I should see a cardiologist.

I haven't taken that step, most of my nights are spent laying in bed watching tv or playing on the computer trying to tire myself out.

I push a rolling chair on the boardwalk in atlantic city so I get alot of exercise almost daily. I'm 32 years old, male with a history of athletics and sports participation. I know the feeling of having my heart want to jump out of my chest after chasing a ball up and down the field. Thats why I get really spooked when I get a similar feeling while i'm just laying down.

I have been under alot of stress. My girlfriend keeps getting pregnant. Lol I have 3 kids like outta nowhere in a period of like 3 years. Stress. I wonder if its the woman thats causing me this pain. If she is just sucking the life outta me and draining my will to live. Just kidding. (but wondering)

i don't know. I do have a casual history of "light" drug use. I mean I don't seek out pot or other drugs, however when its been offered to me i've been known to take the occasional hit. I mention this because there were a few isolated occasions when I was smoking with a people that I just for no reason just freaked out. My heart would start racing and i'd be pretty sure I was about to die for whatever reason.

I don't have a prolonged history of alcohol use, but i've been drunk a few times. I don't smoke cigs, but i've bought a pack or two (in 32 years)

my point is why does it feel like i'm dying. I keep thinking about it and checking my pulse constantly. I hate this feeling
|

replied June 10th, 2012
I think I may have found a link to this mysterious problem. I was going thru the same thing, my heart would race, mostly at night, or beat erratically. I talked to a cardiologist, had a stress test done, blood test, nothing showed up. In a major search, found there may be a connection to body acidity, because acidity messes with your electrolytes. An electrolyte imbalance can effect electric rhythm of your heart, It's not enough to show up in your blood test, but it is affecting you!!! I suggested to the doc. my problem may be diet related, he dissed me. yet, amazingly when I changed my body PH, my problem disappeared. It mysteriously returns when my PH is to acidic. It was easy to check, I'd already done the doc. route with no solution. I got PH test strips from the pharmacy, tested my silyva. Mine was about 5.5 .your PH should be around 7.5. I checked on line, got on an alkalizing diet, lots of vegetables, drank more water, and added some magnesium and a calcium. supplement. Maybe this can help you.
|

replied June 14th, 2012
HEart palpatations
ok a few things from my own experience.

Check your thyroid levels throough a blood test.
See if you are eating anything and if that triggers it sometimes food sensitivities
If this is your only symptoms then I dont feel its acid reflux or anything, are there other symptoms?
try doing something more relaxing before you sleep mayb the computer games are giving you anxiety.

It feels like your dying because you cant control it and its scary you think its your heart..so thats why.

SO its either anxiety,
food sensitivity
reflux when you lay down food comes up and can feel like chest discomfort and heart attack.

If you dont sort it out now and udnerstand why its happening it might be hard later. So just take the steps now so tyou dont case urself more stress.

See how you go, and let us know!
|

replied December 14th, 2005
Wow. It's nice to see that there are others out there like me. I also get the pounding heart. Pretty scary. I hope its my anxiety causing it. Lately it's been good, though.
I'm constantly monitoring my heart and taking my pulse. I've become obsessed with it. Its worse at the gym. I can't work out like I used to because my heart seems to beat harder than usual, and I sometimes get dizzy at the gym too. I might just be really aware of it now, and everything's normal, but I still fear there's something wrong.
I had blood work and everything was fine there, and monday i'm having an ekg. I hope that checks out too. Of course, being the way I am, even if everything checks out, i'll worry that the doctors missed something.
|

replied July 23rd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
hi there it could be anxiety
|

replied November 2nd, 2007
My heart pounds away whenever I get anxious, which is most of the time these days. It just thrashes away and I can't think straight or focus on what's going on.
|

replied November 4th, 2007
Yup, I used to have this. It was just after I graduated from uni, and again when I was relocating to London with work. I used to get a pounding heart at random times, but also palptations like a flutter or missed beat. I went for a ECG at the Dr's and they said everything looked fine so I tried my best to ignore it, and now it's much much better. I still get the odd missed beat or flutter when I'm tired but now I know it's just stress so find it much easier to ignore it.
|

replied November 8th, 2007
This is actually something that I've gotten through, though it took a couple of years. Just like some of you, it started with a racing heartbeat (I thought). That started the anxiety about my heart. I was obsessed with checking my pulse and such, and eventually went into a panic attack that sent me to the emergency room. I was told everything looked normal and to see a cardiologist. I saw a cardiologist and was told I'm fine.

The good thing is that through all of this I learned what the normal behavior of my heart is and how my actions can change what it does. Here are some tips:

1) Your breathing controls your heart rate. If you breath in, it beats faster. If you breath out, it slows down. Don't expect a constant heart rate, because *that's* abnormal. Wink

2) Palpitations are when you can feel your heart beating. It's normal to become aware of it every now and then, and you'll probably notice that it only happens when something draws your attention to your heart.

3) When you feel your heart skip a beat, it feels like it's going to stop. You get a little lightheaded and that can easily scare you. But you can jump start your heart back into the normal routine by forcing yourself to make a good cough.

4) By all means take your pulse. Learn how your heart normally works. After weeks or months of normal operation, you'll realize that everything is okay and you'll also be confident that you can notice when something not normal happens. That feeling of control is key to getting through it.

5) When your heart beats fast, you feel faint, but you won't pass out. You only pass out when your heart beats too slowly, not when it beats too fast.

6) When your heart beats too slow and you feel faint, lie down so that the slower beats move more blood to your brain. This only happens to me when I hurt myself and the pain slows down my heart (your body does this to get you prone so that blood can circulate more easily).

I don't worry about my heart anymore, so it's possible to get through the fear. I hope that makes you guys feel better. Smile
|
Users who thank Marikallees for this post: NeilPage  OVRCMEANXIETY1  hunhun  Princessleiah 

replied February 18th, 2012
hahahaha
It didnt make me feel better, but it sure made laught. That was unexexpectef, thak you. Dude you are Crazyz!!"!Lamao hahahah.
|

replied January 26th, 2009
This happens to me too. Im in high school and run cross counrty. In the beginning of the year, I started worrying about getting enough sleep so that I could perform to the best of my ability at practices. Well, worrying made it get out of hand. I would try so hard to fall asleep and when I realized I wasn't falling asleep, that would send me into a panic attack and pounding heart. I would look too far into the future and think that if I didn't fall asleep soon, tomorrow would be a terrible day, and I would perform poorly at practice because of my tiredness.

This happened to me almost every night until cross country ended...then it spiraled into something totally different. Now my biggest fear isn't that I won't fall asleep, but the root of it now is that I am totally aware of my heartbeat, which hinders me from falling asleep. I always feel it and am aware of it, and now THAT keeps me from falling asleep. It usually takes me about 2 hours to finally fall asleep out of complete exhaustion. It's horrible. I'm not sure what to do :/
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
This has happened to me, i have sever socail anxiety and this happens to me only during the night when i lay to fall asleep when u have time to your self mostly...my heart will pound then sweat n then u can hardly sleep..i was put on meds for social anxiety then it had faded away then later on more symptoms came about here i had been diagnosed with bipolar n here my heart pounding is back so i think it is anxiety. i only fall asleep on exhaustion about 2 to 3 hours later:(
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2009
Heart Pounding when I lay down for bed
Same thing is happening to me also! I have this HUGE fear of having a heart problem so I'm CONSTANTLY monitoring my pulse and heart beats. I'm on meds for anxiety and at first it was really helping me but now when I'm about to fall asleep at night my heart starts pounding I hate it I always wonder will I live with this forever? Sad I hope not!!
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I have had heart symptoms since I was 14 I am now 53.I have had ekgs,heart echo,was told I had mitral valve prolapse then told another time I didn't they said I had a heart murmur,I think my weird heart pounding and fluttering causes me anxiety.Not the other way around.I learned not to worry about it anymore.I also take synthroid which probably causes the pounding heart occasionally.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Finally, a thread that goes along with I experience also.
every single day, i'll just be laying on my bed and my heart will start racing. like super fast, and then it starts pounding really really hard.

i can hear it, and sometimes even feel it in my head.
my doctors all swear up and down it's just my panic disorder. I've seen a cardiologist, worn a halter monitor, countless ekg, ecg, you name it i've had it done.

They say im perfectly healthy, but i can't help but think that there is more to this, you know? cause it's like even when im not having anxiety and panicking, it will beat super fast. I'm on klonopin, buspar, and effexor and it seems to help a lot but im just so scared theres an underlying heart condition..

But a few days ago when i went to the ER, I asked the nurse about my heart 'giving out' one day because it constantly beats fast.. and she told me that if your heart beats fast, it actually makes it stronger! Because it's a muscle, you know? Imagine that.

I hope that piece of information helps, your not dying or anything, it's called panic disorder.
|
Users who thank clintxy for this post: Princessleiah 

replied January 19th, 2010
Same
This Is the wierdest thing, i like all of you experience the same problem (Or not a problem) The same Anxiety although i have a very strong history of Panic attack disorder and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
I came on here trying to underline and figure out this problem and it looks like i have my answer.
1) Anxiety.
Be aware weather you feel anxious physically or not this doesnt mean that your not.
2) Seems pretty normal human behavior. lol

I still am Wondering one thing though. ive found that When i give up smoking My hearts racing alot, after short excersize or just on its own now and the, i get that feeling in my head too. but when i smoke on the other hand. Its no where near as bad :S
Not that smokings good for you or anythin im just trying to find out why :S

My Best Guess? Nicotene causes The brain to create Dopamine A sort of Stress relief. in that case. Less stress, less Anxiety? ;ess Heart funnyness. lol?
|

replied January 20th, 2010
right side
Somebody told me to lay on my right side when this happens. It works well for me. It may not stop the pounding, but you don't feel it as severely and you can go to sleep, which helps everything. Nothing worse than laying down to go to sleep but finding yourself wide awake wondering if your heart is going to explode ...
|

replied January 24th, 2010
hearts beating 'hard'
i'm so glad i googled this and found this site...i've been going through some still 'mysterious' stomach g/i track problems the last few months and have a low appetite etc and TOO have noticed that if i workout or do anything kind of weight-lifting strenuous my heart beats WAY harder than normal. The doctors did discover i have high cholesterol so i'm on simvistatin for that, and i did just do a halter monitor. The halter monitor came from me having palpitations at one of my dr visits after i let the dr know that my heart had been 'going crazy' every night when i tried to go to sleep. The deep breathing always triggered it, though thank god that seems to be gone now, knock on wood.

SO i still don't know the results from the halter, although as soon as the girl put it on and we had a conversation about those things kind of being 'worthless' for only being 24 hrs etc, she goes 'OH did you feel that, just caught an extra beat already.'

BUT anyway, i'm very relieved to know that anxiety CAN cause this, that alone is somewhat of a comfort. I have definitely had anxiety lately, even with the numb hands/feet thing the past 10-12 days on and off.

I was thinking it was just from not exercising as i have been extremely lazy as i normally am in winter, and i kept wondering 'is my heart THAT out of shape already for lack of cardio? orrr are my arteries clogged ALREADY because of the high cholestorol??'

Anyway, let's hope ALL of us are 'normal' and ok. I know i've totally changed by diet, no more beef (for now) or crappy foods, Cheerios, no more cheese (mostly), Silk 'heart healthy' soy milk, etc etc etc.

I know one site i found that helped me with chest pains (reflux anyone?) etc was one that pointed out that if you're indeed having a heart attack, its NOT the big hollywood 'heart explosion' as someone put it above, it can be much more slight, and it is normally NOT a sharp knife-stabbing pain. And if you're going to have one you should have months if not years of angina pains FIRST.

Dave
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Sudden heart beat near the throat
What about when you feel your heart suddenly pound fast for a couple of beats (and it almost feels like it's beating in your throat) then It goes back to normal again? Can anyone explain that or have experienced that? I've had thyroid tests and sugar levels, liver etc and I'm normal. Weird.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
Heart beat in throat
Yes, I have the heartbeat I feel in my throat. It's been happening all day today. It's a little scary. I am in search of an answer. Could it be anxiety?...My children left yesterday for a week trip.
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
To: SheridanC
Try getting a holtor monitor done, so that your doctor can see what's going on when it beats fast.

I've had the feeling of my heart beating in my throat before, and the feeling of it beating fast for two beats (once it was three) rarely when I put my hand on my heart if I'm more anxious than usual.
|

User Profile
replied February 27th, 2010
heart pounding - anxiety, etc...
I developed anxiety and panic attacks right after the 911 attacks, though I was in los angeles, i was told on the phone that 'bombs were falling on the US'. What i discovered in the months to come was that the sense of war created the anxiety due to post traumatic stress - i grew up in the war in El Salvador, but hadn't really ever discussed my experiences there. I felt ashamed to or guilty for having seen or allowed the things I did - though I was only 13 years old when I left there, I had already seen and experience some pretty hard things no human should. I've also discovered since that anxiety will give you the pounding of the heart, fainting feeling, etc. You think the worse, so you feed it with the thoughts until it becomes a vicious cycle. Most of us grow up in circumstances that are tough in one way or another and many things, and it doesn't have to be an actual civil war, cause traumas inside of our innocent selves. We don't realize how much of that pain, guilt, fear, regret, resentment, etc we carry inside - until one day anxiety and panic attacks set in. I was taught by a doctor that anxiety is your body/mind trying to get rid of everything that is unnatural to us -- therefore, realizing that something has just surfaced is the first step to getting rid of it - then you take action by talking about it and in that search, finding the root. It will free you in ways you can never imagined. Although I still get anxiety once in a long while, I live free of it. I'm feeling it right now, for example, because my best friend just passed away on Monday - so it's a very stressful time - I'm feeling the heart beat thing, sweaty and sleepy arms and hands - etc. Meditation, exercise and talking to someone helps - crying is perhaps the best medicine for it. I love writing so I decided to start writing everything I could remember about my childhood and it was like opening up a water faucet. I began to cry and write and cry and write.
I pray for us all to live free of those fears we carry by realizing that we carry them.
much love to you all.
Oscar.
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
wow amazing thank you so much all - i thought i was dying and had some decease, but i knew i had post traumatic stress and anxiety but didnt know it could cause this Very Happy wow i am so happy now ive been awake its 10 am now and hopefully i can go to sleep now thinking im not gonna die thank you all soooo much Very HappyVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy
|