Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

a Healthy Bulimic? (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Is there any such thing as a "healthy" bulimic? Or at least, someone for whom bulimia is not bad enough to qualify as a disease?

I am not obsessed with losing weight, though I wouldn't mind to lose around 15 lbs. The reason I can't lose these 15 lbs I gained my freshmen year is lack of exercise and binge eating. And, (not helping), I work at a fast food joint where I get a free (checkit im a broke college girl) meal a day.

I am aware that I have a lack of self-control when it comes to eating and a lack of self discipline when it comes to excercise.

I think it would solve a lot of problems if I were to purge the meals I eat that are grossly unhealthy or over-indulged in.

I realize that vomiting isn't healthy for your body, teeth and throat and stomach/metabolism and all....But what if I were to say.....

Let myself just indulge like I normally do and purge it...And only allow healthy juice and water to stay with me all day. And then for my last meal of the day (like a couple of hours before I go to bed) eat one healthy, small meal that i'll keep.

Brush my teeth, take a vitaminny, and stop purging when I get to a decent weight (im not aiming for skin and bones here) and then try to ease my way into a healthy eating lifestyle (ease so as not to mess with my metabolism) ... ?

Is this temporary plan really any unhealthier for me then if I were to continue eating fries and fat etc. All day?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper playwish24
|

replied July 12th, 2005
Experienced User
No Way!
Thats what I thought at first, when I started 2 years ago. I was doing really healthy stuff, excersising and eating good foods, and I had this goal of loosing like 10 pounds...Then I started purging the unhealthy meals, then healthy meals that put me over the amount of calories I wanted, then just purging all the time. Babe, its not a healhty way to go. I would never, ever, ever, ever try and rationalise purging because it takes on a life of its own. Also, dont brush your teeth if you do purge, it rubs the acids even more into the teeth.
You sound like your not particularly bulimic or annorexic, so if someone were to diagnose you they would probably say you were ednos (eating disorder not otherwise specified) because you dont binge/purge which is what most bulimics do, and your not annorexic yet...
Anyways, an eating disorder like annorexia and bulimia is not always about loosing weight, while superficially it might seem that way, there are alot of underlying emotions like lack of controll, self respect, self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, often its away to release negative emotions you dont wanna deal with normally.
So in answer to your question, I dont think there is any way in hell you could be physically or mentally healthy while purging your food. Sorry, but please talk to someone about your urges and catch this disease before it takes controll of you, ok? Keep me posted! :) xoxo
|

replied July 17th, 2005
Experienced User
Bulimia = Illness
Bulimia is a mental & physical illness, as diagnosed in the official guide (the dsm iii) that doctors use to diagnose. So you can't be both bulimic & healthy!

Beware that bulimia is very, very addictive. You sound like you are not yet very sick or weight obsessed, so you could easily get on track with a little exercise or a bit healthier (but not neurotic) eating. If you start purging, you may end up like I did ~ spending years of your life with your head hanging over a toilet, looking like a skeleton, wasting lots of time & money on treatment.

Once you start, you may find yourself falling down that deep dark hole. Don't start! That's my advice.
|

replied July 18th, 2005
Experienced User
I would strongly advice against it. Using food in any destructive way is not healthy. I used to think, i'll never let it get out of control - i'll control the behaviours. As if??? It doesn't take long before the behaviours take control. I haven't purged in nearly a year, but that doesn't mean i'm recovered. As moya hornbacher said in one of her books "it's ever so easy to go, harder to find your way back". People can die just from purging once. I hate to sound harsh, but bulimia isn't a conscious choice, and yet, to me that sounds like what you are trying to be. If you really feel you need to lose weight, look honestly at your diet. Behaviours do slow down your metabolism as well. I felt heavier as a consequence of behaviours than I did once I stopped the behavours (water retention etc). Please be careful. I am sorry if I sounded harsh or anything, but any ed kind of life is hell
|

replied July 19th, 2005
No, there is no such thing as a healthy anything when you’re life is at stake. Eating disorders are deadly and really dangerous. I am still recovering and I still have a long way to go.
|

replied July 31st, 2005
I used to think the same thing. Man was I wrong... It spiralled into a purging 3 times a day problem vicious cycle monster that had a mind on its own. But now I do it only once twice tops a day but I doubt I will since I just recently came out to my mom today about my bulimic tendencies.
|

replied June 27th, 2008
same boat
since october of last year i have been what I call a "healthy bulimic". I havent lost ant weight at all. I am at a healthy weight for my body. I usually eat really healthy and I am very hard core at working out and going to the gym, but the urges to eat junk food that we all have come to health nuts as well. I will eat junk food and will throw up. i do not want that junk going through my body. I do allow all the good food i eat to go threw my body. there is such thing as a healthy bulimic.
|

replied June 28th, 2008
Experienced User
no...
throwing up food, no matter how infrequent does not reflect "health"

I would also like to point out that bulimia is an uncontrollable disease, not a diet technique. Perhaps Bulimia isn't the word to be using in your case, perhaps disordered eating covers it.
|
Users who thank damsel for this post: caitlinmh 

replied January 19th, 2009
Bulimic
Being bulimic isn't just something that you just do. I have been doing it for about a year in a half now and can't stop. I thought it would have been something that I could have just done to lose the weight,but it is far worse then that. I throw up about 10 times a day if not more. I got in to far. I do not recamend it for or to anyone. There is no healthy way around it. Once you do it, it later messes with your mind. I have been on the feeding tube and put in the hospital many times. Still I can't not do it. Girls or guys that are trying this just to lose weight are making a huge mistake. I use to weigh 160 lbs and now wiegh 83lbs, but mentally and physically I am tore up. If I could stop I would,but it is to late. The doctors say that it will soon lead to my death and I am not ok with that, but no matter what I am unable to stop. Please people do not get mixed up in being bulimic. Losing weight the right way is much easier, healthier,and you look better that way too.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
How is it that you can acknowledge all of the harmful aspects like damaged throat, teeth, and stomach and still ask if it's healthy? You already know that would be a poor choice.

Firstly, realize that even if you choose to stop, your body probably won't let you, as I'll explain in a moment...

First, I want to address the unfortunate circumstances surrounding your lifestyle- it's making you feel trapped, right? (Believe me, I was in the same boat- working at a fast food restaurant is great when you are in college because it does supply healthier meals- I worked at Subway and I still ended up eating poorly because of the delicious cookies and yummier/less healthy choices).

What I would suggest is making changes to your lifestyle to get you out of that trap. Instead of working for a fast food restaurant, apply at a grocery store, bank, call center, or something of the like. If you attend college, try applying at the college book store or something. If you rely on the free meal, then switch to a healthier restaurant or a restaurant that offers healthy alternatives and do better than your best to stick to eating the healthier meals Smile

It can be fun, easy, and beneficial to plan a diet around the food provided at the restaurant you worked at. If I had wormed a turkey sandwhich on wheat bread with one strip of light mayonaise into my diet rather than eating as I pleased, and counted that as my carbs and protein for the day, I could have built a healthy diet around that- I just let go of my self control.

I wish you luck in changing and improving your lifestyle and with your weight loss goals. When it comes to exercising, find something easy like a mini trampoline (about $30 at walmart) and jump for a half hour to a show you like. I lost a ton of weight that way a while back. When I was 140 LBs, I would jump for a half hour before high school and a half hour when I got home. I burned a total of 145 extra calories a day. You also burn calories as you sleep, sit in class, walk around at work, and even when you just laze about. Doing some light weight work helps increase the number of calories you burn throughout the day.

Just start out light with slight adjustments to your lifestyle (the job may need to be a bigger adjustment, but you'll adapt, I promise!) and slowly get yourself to where you feel more comfortable being active. You'll find it's easier and more fun to do just about everything/anything when you're confident and happy with your body. :3

Don't forget, you have to consume at least 1200 calories just to burn fat, so even though it seems like you know that you need to be eating healthy and simply wish to purge the 'unnecessary' or 'I gave in' foods, I just want to remind you not to go overboard with dieting, either.

But yes, definitely do not purge because you can damage your throat and internal organs. Developing this type of habit is more than psychological- after you lose the weight, your body will want to keep purging because it has been conditioned to do so. Even if you choose to stop, your body probably won't let you.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
bulimia
i love bulimia. it works for me.
its about being thin, pretty and tan,
i love it. the behaviour does not get the best of me
self control is alot of it. whenever u feel the need to go, eat a brownie and say "that was good." and your human control is back. bulimia does not take away from my life.
being a healthy bulimic is possible and it works for some people.
its about being thin and small, its alright. skin and bones is a no, but having a model body is good. a fit body.
bulimia is human, about insecurities and some people are okay with that. bulimia is a way of life.
|

replied February 1st, 2010
Maxineeex3

Like, you're so totally right! I mean it's not like you even NEED a stupid ol' brain when you've got a rawkin' bod, am I right? Fat chicks just gotta chillax!

No, but seriously, your IQ must be in the double digits... �
|

replied February 12th, 2010
No healthy bulimia
Hi,
I used to think that I could be a healthy bulimic by doing certain things, and not doing it very often. I never really got fat, or too skinny, I was always a "healthy" weight. But there are definitely bad health consequences, even when you think you are ok. My teeth enamel has gone way down and made me prone to lots of cavities, and the mental health effects of hiding something for so long are even worse. Eating disorders often come about when someone feels like they can't control their emotional states or trust the people around them with their feelings. Do you feel that way? These people turn to eating disorders as a way of focusing on and controlling some part of their identity, because they feel like they can't control how they feel. Do you ever think self-hating thoughts? Or feel really bad or sad about yourself? Or just feel empty inside? These all might be reasons why you would turn to controlling food and punishing your body- because it let's you focus on something other than the bad/ sad/ uncomfortable emotions that you don't want to feel. This is also made more extreme when you are a teenager because your hormones and your brain's development make your emotions even more heightened. The best thing to do is to find someone you feel like you can really trust, then allow yourself to be vulnerable enough to actually feel those tough emotions. It also helps if you can combine the emotional experience with an actual physical experience- for example, letting yourself cry when you are sad, or punching a pillow and screaming when you are angry. This helps you feel a real release, and relate to your body with compassion, to feel your body. When you have an eating disorder, you tend to see your body as an object, instead a part of you- an alive, sensitive, evolving human being. I wish you love and compassion. Look for that person you can trust and be vulnerable with, especially if they are a professional, even better. Don't let the sickness put out the beautiful light that's in you! You can be healthy, aware and beautiful, don't think you have to compromise. If you want to lose weight, lift weights! It increases your metabolism a lot, I lost ten pounds that way.
|

replied October 26th, 2010
I've been doing it since highschool. I am a male, and it has saved my life. At a point in my childhood i had moved and became the target for bullying which grew into a huge problem and left me emotionally unstable so i stopped my normally active lifestyle and turned to lazy activities and food. I found myself still overweight and unable to maintain healthy eating habits even after i tried to correct my problems and started exercising and showing some restraint in my diet. Then i started experimenting with throwing up after i heard a rumor in highschool about these girls who would go to the bathroom and throw up after every lunch. I had never heard of it mentioned before (in such a direct way) aka relevant to my surroundings, i had only heard of it as a disorder in health classes. I was very secretive with it and remain so to this day. It saved my life because prior to doing it i would exercise a lot but found myself over indulging in food too often and often times it would effect my exercise as well (aka whats the point i eat too much for this exercise to even do anything)It does not control my life and i only do it when i know no one will find out aka i am by myself and in my own house and not in a public restroom. If i am not by myself i simply do not do it because i do not want others to discover i do it because of all the bad rep that comes with being bulimic and i don't want others to worry. plus i am perfectly healthy and i have a healthy body weight which includes plenty of muscle mass in my own considerations because i keep down my healthy food and excursive and weight lift and keep down my lean proteins.i would say i throw up maby 5 or 6 times a week. Basically i just keep a normal diet and try to eat healthy but if i find myself feeling bloated from over indulging (which usually happens when i find myself inactive and near a fridge) i will throw up to make my stomach feel better( it usually works out well because the times i overindulge are when i am alone at my house and i can throw it up without anyone knowing. I don't under estimate the intelligence of others and im sure people would catch on if they heard me flushing twice and spraying lots of air sanitizer after every strangely excessive meal not to mention that sometimes its not always quiet... a large cough or the first splash hitting the water.... or if i eat a particularly unhealthy meal i will eat a bit more and then throw it all up and then eat a light healthy snack to make sure i have energy until my next meal. It has not ruined my life it has saved my life but only because i practice restraint. i think it is because i am a male and being too skinny as a male is not a good thing so i have never gone to the extremes and i practice plenty of healthy habits in addition to this unhealthy habit. I found this article because i have been doing it for awhile now and am slightly worried about its health effects aka throat mouth ect. even though i show no systems. And i think that is another good thing, you need to realize that it is not healthy only healthier than having a lot of fatty unhealthy foods being digested and that you are trading one evil for another evil and that you should try to do it as in-often as possible. I would highly recommend a light healthy snack after every throw-up otherwise it will just feal like your stomach acids are eating your stomach.. put something in there afterwords to avoid feeling stomach aches and recognize that your body does need lots of healthy foods in the proper varieties and find ways to get them in there. keep healthy activities like exercising and recognize that correcting your overweight body is only 1 step to recovery and you need to emotionally correct yourself as well.. only then will you become a proper effective part of society and a stable productive person. It is not for everyone just like some people cant simply smoke a few joints in highschool and remain productive, some will turn into hardcore drug addicts and lead horrible lives until they end up dead or in jail. You need to be a strong willed person to avoid letting this dominate yourself and you need to recognize that this is only solving one problem and you need to stabilize your mind and your heart as well.
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi saddsa...I read your post....Actually, I read it twice...I am completely in awe that a grown man would think that having this disease of Bulimia, would save his life...I would hope that any person who sees this article thinks twice before they put any credence to it...Bulimia is one of the most dangerous games of chance to play for the inner satisfaction of thinking this is the quick road to losing weight...A healthy diet and exercise is the only way that this can be achieved...

Possibly, I am more aware of the perils of this disease more than any other person here on the forum...I can mention heart problems, gum recession, bad teeth, acid reflux and what else the tolls are I will never know...But, I am lucky...I kicked the habit...However, not without it messing with my mind just as it has messed with yours...

Please do not post again on this site encouraging this deadly habit...You see I know of someone who choked to death trying to throw something up to empty their stomach....Thanks...

Caroline
|

replied November 18th, 2010
Bulimia and Anorexia
i know this is a late reply...but i'm probably the only one who thinks this would be a good idea...DO NOT PURGE MORE THAN TWO TIMES A DAY! this is not healthy but when u want to lose wait fast its not going to be healthy...i'd advise a starvation diet because it does less damage to vital organs...it is more challenging though but i ate lettuce (yes just plain green stuff) for three days and lost 8 pounds! people sometimes exaggerate side effects to make you not do it but it really isnt all that bad...i advise you not to throw up though...it causes damage to your throat,dental problems,digestive problems,lack of bowel movements, menstrual problems,and you are at higher risk for loss of pregnancies or not being able to conceive at all...starvation diets are more healthy...please be careful
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Re: Bulimia and Anorexia
luvluv16 wrote:
i know this is a late reply...but i'm probably the only one who thinks this would be a good idea...DO NOT PURGE MORE THAN TWO TIMES A DAY!

Hi luvluv16....I want to add my thought to your post of above.....My correction is: Do not purge....Once, twice or three times...Each time adds to your habit and feeds the disease....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 19th, 2011
HAHAHAHAH a healthy bulimic???? Now that's a contradiction if I ever did see one. Thinking I would just vomit once is how my 4 year cycle started! Never vomit, unless you have the flu, no matter what! It si NEVER JUST ONE TIME!!! You lose control the second you start.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Caroline,
Thank you for your well-stated responses. Also not sure if he's reading this still, but to "Saddsa"... I once had the same mind set as yourself. I would argue that I was able to manage a perfectly healthy weight, would replace my depleted system with vitamins, that I was completely in control, and I literally had zero signs of health issues. That was over ten years ago... Today, I went from absolutely no problems, to wondering if my husband or children will find me dead in the restroom. Changes such as: completely no cavities and fine gums, to noticeable irreversible erosion and 9 cavities six months later. I am suffering from painful stomach issues, chest pains, throat ulcers, and depression. A recent scope procedure revealed more damage. This spiraled into a control issue, it's not truly about weight-loss.

Again, I thought I too had everything laid out perfectly. Was so sneaky that my husband, in the five years we lived together, did not have even a remote clue until i broke down and told him. I know everyone has a story, and those who read believe that their own self-control wouldn't lead them to harm... but if this can convince One person not to start, i'm happy.... because your body can go from great to permanently damaged after just One too many purges.
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
healthy bulimic
I am a 'healthy bulimic' I eat normally but when i eat 'junk' i just purge it anyway. ITS SO SIMPLE.. I dont stick my fingers down my thoat like the stereotypical image of a bulimic and I dont barf excessivly until the stomache acid bruns your thoat and esophagus ..just drink a TON of water and when you feel a burp coming you simply contract your stomach muscles and barf it up..comes all in one and you learn when to stop before the acid comes. i dont mind leaving a bit of food in there, just get out the main calories. PLUS i drink lots more water and yes i do keep alot of the water in my stomach!
|
12 >>