Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Hard Stomach (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey I have a question.

When I lie down and feel just under my belly button,
my stomach is really hard where the uterus is.

I was just wondering if any of you know if this is normal or not?
And have any of you had the same thing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Nicknak
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Experienced User
You stomach has to get hard when you are pregnant because you have a baby inside you taking up all the room!
|

replied December 30th, 2011
Question
when i lay down on my back and feel my stomach i feel a hardness in my stomach on the left side. and the hardness only stays on that side. Am i pregnant? What could this be?
|

replied December 30th, 2011
Question
when i lay down on my back and feel my stomach i feel a hardness in my stomach on the left side. and the hardness only stays on that side. Am i pregnant? What could this be?
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Hehe thanks, well its just weird that my tummy is only hard under my belly button and not all over.

I read that your tummy goes hard when you're having contractions as well.
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Hard Stomach
Hey sxcy,
it's probably the top of your uterus- you should be able to feel that by now.
The hard bit will continue to rise above your pubic bone by about a centimetre a week- so if you are say, 16 weeks, it should be 'round about 16 cm from your pubic bone. (give or take)

the painless braxton hicks contractions that you're also talking about happen all the time during pregnancy- I didn't notice until very late in my last pregnancy, and I could only really feel it from the outside- my whole tummy would be hard. This time I can actually feel it starting sometimes, and know when it's finished-and i'm only 24 weeks !!!
I'm also getting kicked to death already, and kept awake at night too.
Feels like there's a baby horse in there, not a little girl !!!!!
|

User Profile
replied July 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Hard Stomach
Hey sxcy,
it's probably the top of your uterus- you should be able to feel that by now.
The hard bit will continue to rise above your pubic bone by about a centimetre a week- so if you are say, 16 weeks, it should be 'round about 16 cm from your pubic bone. (give or take)

the painless braxton hicks contractions that you're also talking about happen all the time during pregnancy- I didn't notice until very late in my last pregnancy, and I could only really feel it from the outside- my whole tummy would be hard. This time I can actually feel it starting sometimes, and know when it's finished-and i'm only 24 weeks !!!
I'm also getting kicked to death already, and kept awake at night too.
Feels like there's a baby horse in there, not a little girl !!!!!
|

replied December 10th, 2011
uhm i just created this account because i need help so i have no idea how to use this BUT...i need HELP. i have never been pregnant before, and so i dont know whats going on. but the top of my stomach is hard, yesterday i thought i was starting my period because i started to do my first spotting. ive been moody lately, expecially with my anger. and just a few days ago started having consistant migranes that kill, i took excedrin for them each day but after 4 hours they wear off and its back to the non stop pain. below my belly button and down is squishy but above is hardening, even on the sides slightly. and ive been REALLY hungry too (was figuring that i just started eating too much and it kept increasing, so thought i was just putting on extra fat) and i am a heavy set girl so its a bit harder for me to tell. can someone help me please?!?!
|

replied January 8th, 2012
you are most liekly pregnant.. i am having the samme symptoms as you and iwas pregnant beforre so i already know wat to expect. but i would wait a couple weeks and take a home pregnancy test and deff keep track of ur weight to see how muuch ur puttin on to also hellp u determine if u are or not.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Hard Stomach
How soon does your stomach start getting hard if pregnant?
|

replied January 4th, 2008
Re: Hard Stomach
I have the same thing; my stomach is hard and "lumpy" about 5 inches below the bellybutton. im only just about 8 weeks pregnant. Iv gained weight already. Im also worried something may be wrong, since i have abdominal tenderness and slight pain.Have you visited your doctor?
|

User Profile
Supporter
Re: Hard Stomach
sxcgirl_me wrote:
Hey I have a question.

When I lie down and feel just under my belly button,
my stomach is really hard where the uterus is.

I was just wondering if any of you know if this is normal or not?

And have any of you had the same thing?

of course its normal. i can feel hardness under mine too
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
mines only hard when I lie on my back. I'm 25wks along, but it's been there since about 12ish (that's as far back as I remember). Just wait til the baby starts moving and you can just make a day of lying on you back watching baby kick up through! nothing in the world compares to it!
|

replied October 18th, 2009
I actually had the same question and all of these responses answered it for me! phew! I have had some problems during pregnancy alot of bleeding happened in my 12th week and im now 17 weeks and cant feel the baby moving yet even though with my other 2 i could so i was worried.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
I wanted to know how you could tell if your tummy is getting hard, i mean what hard feels like, but im not sure what my tummy felt like before, i've never sat around and pushed on it. It seems like it's hard, but i dont know. I took a pregnancy test a few weeks ago because when my fiance and i were having sex, It hurt about 2-3 inches below my belly button, so bad that i started crying.. cried for about 30 min from the sharp pain until i fell asleep. The pain continued anytime i put pressure on my stomach, just not as sharp, until about a week later the pain finally stopped. But my breast became very tender. I just recently had my period or so i believe was my period for the first time in about a year.. i was on depo. and i had it off and on, for about 2-4 days and it was never enough to even use anything really just spotting.. this time it lasted about three days but i had to use tampons.. so i figured i wasnt pregnant.. but my breast are still tender, if i put pressure on my stomach it is slightly tender.. so i just wanted to know where you would first feel the hardness on the sides or the middle... and how hard it would be..[sorry for the long post]
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2012
i am having the same problem but seem to not get a answer on it
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
stomach?
i have a question i am 14weeks pregant with my first child but my stomach is not hard yet my stomach has gotn biger is this normal?
|

replied June 4th, 2010
My stomach feel hard under my belly button,and for the last 4 months my cycle has come on different days. I have not taken a test to see if I'm pregnant or not.I've also been having bad headaches.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
Just Maybe???
I had the same problem. I didnt know I was pregnant. I had taken 2 pregnancy tests and both negative. I went to the doctor and he told me I was 11 weeks but my stomach is not even hard at all. I have more of a puge on top than I do the bottom though. I still have a period and this is the 3rd one and they are on time like normal. I say go to the doctor so that you can know for sure. Anything is possible.
|

replied June 12th, 2010
am i pregnant?
i have a question..
all of my belly is hard and so is under my belly button!
i started my period 1 week late! and i took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. ive had alot of gas too! ive been realy moody and ive been cramping alot in my stomach. i dont know if im pregnant or not! has anyone else
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Am I Pregnant?!
roxxxy, I'm in the same boat, I had sex about a month and a half ago, and took a pregnancy test that came out negative when it was like a month after I had sex... my breasts will sometimes get shooting pains through them and my stomach hurts a lot and I'm eating to shut my stomach up, and my upper tummy has been feeling kinda hard, not to mention that my 2 periods I had were 1 week late and only lasted about 3-4 days instead of the original 7-8 days... and were much lighter... and I'm really beginning to wonder if I'm pregnant... HELP!!
|

replied April 1st, 2011
Could I be pregnant?
I was wondering the same thing.. The last time I had sex was in February and about a month after I started haveing mood swings and Migraine headachess. I have also had bad nausea. My stomach is hard at the bottom and the top just not the middle around my belly button. I have a "v" shape that has recently formed within the last 2 weeks and I took a pregnancy test and It was negative so I am very confused and I don't know what to do.. Could I be pregnant?
|

replied June 17th, 2010
well everybody body arent the same some ppls dont start to show untill they like 6-7 months but i mean some ppls start to fill the uterus super early but some dont so all you can do is get tested to really know or sit and wait..but i hope all that trying to get pregnant are i wish yall the best of luck...because it seen like i cant get pregnant
|
Users who thank meoshe for this post: lelu_1992 

replied August 6th, 2010
I had my period 2 weeks ago. My lower abdomen,just above pubic bone, is usually hard before and during my period but goes away right after my period but I noticed that this time after my period it stays hard until now. I don't know if it's because I just had a miscarriage 1 1/2 months ago and that was my first period after my m/c. Could I be pregnant even if I had my period just 2 weeks ago?
|

replied August 24th, 2010
24 weeks pregnant! Sometimes my tummy gets hard, normal?????
Sometimes when I am flat on my back, the bottom part of my stomach gets really hard. I'm 24 weeks pregnant, is this normal? I have thought so far it's just the baby coming closer to the outside of my tummy when this happens and thats why it goes hard. I can feel her move, and I even saw her move for the first time from the outside. I just get nervous. I can feel the top of my uterus above my belly button, and I have had an un complicated pregnancy. I just wonder why it gets so hard sometimes when I am on my back and feeling it. If i push on it, it kinda goes away or from my right side to the left. Is it just the baby I am feeling?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2011
anybody help.?
under my belly button in my lower front sometimes when i lay down it gets hard and then soft...i been having cramps what could that mean?
|

replied December 19th, 2011
Confused
Hi i'm having same issue i was due on 19th nov didnt show up so i thought i would wait to see if this months showed up as i was due on 17th dec but it didnt show up i took 2 hpt both negative but today i had pain in my boobs & stomach so i felt my stomach the top & middle is hard & bigger its even made my bra to small with boobs grown & the bottom off my stomach is not hard & ive had all the pregnancy symptoms as follows - atery clear discharge ,burping, farting , hot flushes , boobs sore , boobs swollen ,insombia , leg cramps , back ache ,
emotional , lightheaded , loss of appetite , food smell makes me feel sick , cant get comfy , headaches ,
mood swings , bad tempered really quick , Skin tags on inner thighs , constipation , feet swelling , acne , heartburn ,
feeling movement , belly button feels pushed against , loss of appetite , 13 hours sleeping to imsobia ,
needing toilet at least every hour + waking up to full bladder , bloating , gained stretch marks on belly. I'm so confused i cant see my doctor until January.
What Do Think Is Wrong With Me.
|

replied December 25th, 2011
Hello sxiscouse89, I was reading your post and I've been going through the exact same thing. I had my last full period Oct 3rd, Oct 28&29 spotted for two days and nothing...Gained 15 pounds,went up 2 bra sizes, tingling in my fingers, and all the same symptoms your having and took 10 hpt and all negative.. My stomach is hardening and I'm going back to the Doctors in Jan, they are going to have to do a quantitative hcg because something is not right... Well good luck to you!!
|

replied January 11th, 2012
update
Just Another update -

Im Still The Same Really But Now My Feet Are Swollen & Hurt To walk on + i am used to being a heavy sleeper but now i wake up to the slightest noise i am always hungry. Also I Have had to start sleeping on my side as i cant get comfy in bed my boobs hurt & stomach doesnt feel right how i used to sleep so now confussed even more & i have been very mushy head etc forgetting things , sentances come out wrong & tired all the time this isnt normal for me

p.s the 23rd dec i started to spot brown/black discharge for 5-7 days no red at all also no cramps or signs now nearly every day i have been getting lower abnormal cramps but i dont see my GP until 19th jan so will find out whats wrong with me Question
|
12 >>