Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Bump On Scalp (Page 1)

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
I am 25 year old female and I have this bump about the size of pencil eraser on my scalp under my hair. It is hard and not discolored or sore at all. What could it be?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper smith28
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Bump On Scalp
The thing on your scalp is probably benign and harmless, but it's still a good idea to go to a dermatologist and have him/her look at it and possibly biopsy it. Skin cancer is curable if detected early. I have had melanoma in-situ and luckily caught it early and had it removed. That was 3 years ago and I am cancer free. Most growths on skin are not cancer, so just go rule out the possibility that it's not and that will put your mind at ease. Good luck!
|

replied July 25th, 2012
I also have been reading a ton online, my 8 year old daughter has two bumps on either side of her scalp, right behind her ears almost. They are prominent bumps and I am getting nervous. Do u think it could be cancer related? They r hard but only hurt when u press on them. Thanks!!
Robin
|

replied May 1st, 2006
Bump On Scalp
Yeah im just wondering if you ever found out what the bump was on your scalp?. I'm a 28 y/o female who was in the sun alot when I was a kid with pale skin and light hair and lots of freckles, and about 8 months ago I noticed I had a small bump like knot like the size of a pencil eraser almost in the center of my scalp that I have never noticed before. At first I thought it was a pimple or mosquito bite or something lol, so as anyone else would of probably done I poked it, it just bled. Its not disclored its just really hard and hurts to touch sometimes. If anyone has any ideas please respond.
Thank you
|

replied May 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
My advice would definitely be the same for you. I was diagnosed with my melanoma at age 28. That is not meant to scare you but melanoma is on the rise among our age group. Like I said to the first post, most likely it's benign, but get it checked out. Like me, you are fair skinned and have light colored hair, so that puts us at more of a risk. Set up an appointment with a dermatologist and let he/she take a look at it. Good luck :wink:
crystal
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Bump On Head
Well I went to the doctors today, I was so nervous after reading everything on the internet. He told me that I had a wart in my head, a wart lol, no idea how I got a wart in my head but he said it was nothing to worry about. So relived to have found that out I was so so worried. Thank you for your reply much appreciated thanks sarah
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Yay, i'm so happy to hear of your good news. Good for you for going to the doctor to get that checked out. Now you can take a deep breath and relax. Thanks for letting us know!

Crystal
|

replied May 12th, 2006
Bump
Ummm yeah I have a weird red bump on teh top of my head and its making me worried that its cancer.

Please reply
|

replied August 6th, 2006
Re: Bump On Head
smith28 wrote:
well I went to the doctors today, I was so nervous after reading everything on the internet. He told me that I had a wart in my head, a wart lol, no idea how I got a wart in my head but he said it was nothing to worry about. So relived to have found that out I was so so worried. Thank you for your reply much appreciated thanks sarah

i have a wart on my scalp also. How do you remove them?
|

replied June 19th, 2007
Bump On Head
Last week I woke up with a spot on my head that was sore/tender. As I rubbed it I noticed there was a bump on that spot. I went to the doctor and she gave me some antibiotics to take for 10 days. I've taken them for a couple of days but it is still there. The soreness however is gone. I was wondering if any if you have experienced this before.
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Bump On Scalp
I'm a 35 year old male. I was reading the questions about having a bump on the scalp. I also noticed a Bump on my head six weeks ago while shaving my head. It's right on top of my head (middle of my scalp) and I started to get worried. It does'nt hurt but it's the size of a very large pimple, but it's not because it has'nt popped like on, its just there. When I touch it it feels hard and tight. Anyone has any feedback?
|

replied April 14th, 2011
I have two of these bumps on my head and went to the dermatologist. He said that they are just cysts and will never turn into anything harmful, but if they hurt and bother you you can get them removed
|

replied December 7th, 2011
I also have 5 bumps like this. Biggest is in the size of a pencil eraser. 2 years ago, I hit my head a little, where one of them was, and it started to hurt and started to grow and become softer, I assumed it started to purulence. Went to the surgeon. He cut it out. It was cheap and simple operation. Only I was not allowed to wash my hair for 1 month. But it all healed and was OK. But then it appeared again. So, now I have a bump in the same place, the same size again.
|

replied October 21st, 2007
My sister had one, u can get it removed if it bothers you alot. but other than that its pretty harmless. its like a stei?? i think
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Help
So I have had a bumb the size of a pencil eraser for two years. It has been hard and unpainful by the touch up until about 6 months ago... it would become soft, bigger, and extremely painful for about a week then go back to normal again... well its hurting again and I need some advise on what to do????
|

replied November 27th, 2007
Bump On My Head
I am a 31 year old female who discovered a small bump on my upper left side on my head under my hair, its not round though more shaped like a almond. I thought at first it was a blemish but it doesn't have a head, doesn't hurt, and is hard and tight. I too have spent eons in the sun however I have medium skin tone and dark hair (not that it makes me less vulnerable to cancer). Is this something to worry about? I do have a doc appt in 3 weeks to get a referral to see a dermatologist so I can ask them, just looking for some insight in addition to the previous posts. Thanks!
|

replied July 8th, 2008
Red Bumps on my scalp
The red small bumps are like small mosquito bites. But i can assure you that i dont have lice. That's why i am bothered, where are these coming from. I am bothered about this. I hope you could help me. thanks!
|

replied August 1st, 2008
I'm 15, female.
I've had this bump for years, but I know it hasn't been there since birth. I'm not sure what color it is. I had my mom look at it, she says its dark red, but its been bleeding lately, and its been really sore. Its a little bit smaller than a pencil eraser.
I hope it is just a wart. :\
|

replied December 11th, 2008
Bumps on the head
I have an Almond and two pencil erasers on my scalp but a dermatologist told me it was nothing to worry about
|

replied December 17th, 2008
bumps on head
I'm 15 male and i have a small bump on my scalp and like any other kids i'd just poke it and a year ago i was poking it alot and it started to bleed i wonder what this bump is. if any one has an answer please post it on here.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
=( Bump on my head D=
i wnt to the doctors today to gt advice for like this almond shape thing on th left back of my head, i never had it before, & it really hurts. It started since a few days ago.. somehow.. i dnt know what to do, but he said in 2 weeks i might come back .. if is still there [most likely], and getit operated on.
im soo scared )= i started crying at the doctors, i dont know what to do.. people keep saying its gna be alright.. but i dnt think its gonna be.....

Sad so scared, i dont know what to do.
|

replied February 14th, 2009
bump
I do too have a bump on my scalp. I think when I touch it it kind of grows..I do not know what it is..a few weeks a go it grew and I felt I had a scab...Then its size reduced and went small again..I am going to a dermatologist soon.. I will post what they say:)
|

replied February 15th, 2009
bump on scalp
I am a 23 year old female, and I have about 6 or 7 small (about the size of a pencil eraser) bumps/lumps on my scalp under the skin. They feel really hard when you push on them, and tight. They are mostly on the left side of my head but there is one on the right. The majority are grouped together but not touching. I have had one or two since I was in the second grade, I got chicken pox and was itching my head when i found it. My parents just shrugged it off but recently i've been getting really bad headaches and I swear the bumps throb. Last week I realized there were a lot more there. When I push on them or rub them too much (which I can't quit doing b/c they freak me out) they start to hurt. They have never bled or had a scab, not sure what color they are...i have tons of hair so its kind of hard to see. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and found out what they were. I don't currently have health insurance and am trying to hold off going to the doc but its really driving me crazy not knowing what they are.
|

replied May 20th, 2011
I am a 15 year old female and I have the same thing but, I can't help picking at them so they do bleed and scab up. I want to get them checked out, but my mom doesn't think they're an issue.
|

replied December 10th, 2011
I kind of have the same thing going on. I have 4 very hard lumps different sizes on my scalp. I found my 1st one when I was very young, about 10 years after that I asked the doctor about the one and he said it was a cyst. He didn't feel it or anything. Well over the past 10+ years I have developed 3 more. And i'm not even joking when I say I have horns on the top of my head Sad They usually don't hurt, but they stick out so far it's hard not to mess with them and they start to hurt. Sometimes they have fevers in them but I get bad headaches and sometimes they hurt on their own. I was just wondering if you ever found out what yours where? I'm petrified I have cancer and am to scared to go to the doctor.
|