Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Hernia And 29 Weeks Pregnant (Page 1)

Has anyone ever had or known of anyone that had a hernia during their pregnancy. There is very little information out there about it. I have very painful swelling in my right groin area. Doctor first thought it was the pelvic bone dislocated but now says it is a hernia and I need to see a surgeon. I want to have a natural birth-already had an emergency c-section with my son-my daughter died in my womb when I was 5 months along in 2003 now I finally get the courage to get pregnant again and this happens. I'm a little scared-any advice would be great. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Sorry, I have no advice but just wanted to say ...All my best with your pregnancy and that this hernia problem is resolved quickly and savely
|

replied August 11th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Will they do surgery before the birth? Im sure no problem for the baby though. That is in abdomen not near the baby. Could cause problems with giving birth if not removed though

let us know please
|

replied July 22nd, 2007
Hernia, 28 Weeks Pregnant
I to also have a hernia in the same place you have described, I am 28 weeks pregnant with my second child, I also had a herina in same place with my first but caused no problems for me thru out that pregnancy or in the birth,and it went away by its self after the birth. But this time has been different, its been Swollen all the time, aches, e.t.c... doctor said they will operate and remove it if it gets worse, as the dont suggest operating while pregnant, I was told to talk to my midwife about birthing options. I will be seeing her on Monday. doctor also pescribed codine for the pain, i have chosen not to take unless i really have to, because of the side affects it has to the baby. hope this is to any help for you?
|

replied February 23rd, 2009
Very painful hernia 29 weeks
My best friend has just been told she has a strangulated hernia in her groin (under previous c-section scar). She has been sick a few times, is in lots of pain but they do not want to take baby out at 29wks although there is a chance of the gut dying. She is desperatly trying to hold out but the pain is getting worse. To top it off she now has an awful virus and is coughing lots which is not only causing her more pain but also pushing the hernia out. They have told her she will need to be put to sleep to have the baby and then have the surgery done at the same time. They have arranged to deliver the baby at 34 weeks but shes not sure she can make it that long and they are scanning it regularly to check it out. Worrying times.
|

replied June 9th, 2013
Sho. When I read things like this I am so grateful for the little aches and pains that I am experiencing. Strongs to your friend and good on her for doing so well. I wish her a very speedy recovery and a healthy bundle of joy.
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Painful hernia 25 weeks
I too have just found out I have a hernia in my groin area and agree there isnt enough information out there about treatment, etc. I just basically want to know if they operate on them during pregnancy or just leave it til after the baby is born, and if I'll be able to have a natural birth considering I cant strain with a hernia, so will I be able to push?? Very worried...if anyone has any info thank you very much!Smile
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Hernia op
I am 24 weeks pregnant and just recovering from a hernia operation 2 weeks ago. There was a lot of debate as to wether it should be done now or later on in the pregnancy, but the general surgeon said it was too risky to leave. So hear we are operated on and recovering.
|

replied May 19th, 2009
I found hernia relief
I had an inguinal hernia while pregnant. I was told by my OB/GYN there was nothing I could do about it which I knew was incorrect (I like solving problems). I searched and tried different hernia support products. The best one out there was the Babybellyband . Get the abdominal band with velcro attachable groin bands, I also wore the attachable shoulder bands when I was pushing a carriage or out all day on my feet because they gave my belly a super lift. I liked it because I could self adjust depending on the support I needed that day. I could actually walk w/o holding my groin. The hernias disappeared after pregnancy never to be seen again. I am a normal weight though, I think if I kept a lot of weight on after pregnancy or now gained weight the hernia may reappear. Just another note, I was in really good shape going into pregnancy so the hernia had nothing to do with weak abs, I think it is genetic (my mom had one too). Hope this is helpful! Don't let anyone tell you there is nothing you can do!! Try support first, before any kind of surgery! I think this product would work for anyone, not just pregnant folks.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
hernia
and did you give birth naturally or did you have a c-section?
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2009
26 weeks pregnut with Umbilcord Hernia
I have a very large Umbilord hernia. The surgeoun told me he couldent do anything until after I had my baby because of side effect it would have for baby.. The past few weeks it has really been giving me alot of pain on my side and lower stomach area.. But still there is nothing they can do.. They told me to try a pregnucy support so will be looking into that.. it should or hopefully will help this is also my 3rd hernia.. so think they just like my body..
|

replied March 19th, 2010
12 weeks pregnant with suspected femoral hernia repair reoccuran
I am 12 weeks pregnant with my third child. I had an incarcerated femoral hernia repair with the mesh, about a year an half ago. My GP suspects it has popped out again. He has informed me that i will probably need a c-section and the surgeons will operate on the hernia at the same time. My youngest is two and a half so i am not lifting her at the moment. I have a referral with a surgeon in four weeks, so my list of questions is growing. Its been great reading about others experiences with this, Thank you Rebecca
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
Fermoral Hernia
Hi there, I am 24 weeks pregnant and have just been diagnosed with two hernias; naval and fermoral hernia! The naval one doesn't give me any pain but the latter does. My surgeon has said to wait until baby is born before having surgery unless it becomes an emergency situation. He has also advised that I can have a natural birth and during this someone; husband, nurse, doctor or midwife will need to hold the fermoral hernia down to prevent it from getting bigger. The thought of this doesn't fill me with joy and it's very worrying. I was wondering if anyone else out that has gone through child birth with a fermoral hernia? thanks,
|

replied September 9th, 2010
femoral and umbilical hernias
Hi, I also am 23 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with both a femoral and umbilical hernia. I'm interested in what you decide to do about natural versus c-section delivery. Do you notice your femoral hernia hurting more after eating a meal?
|

replied September 12th, 2010
I'd like to go for natural birth if I can. You? What has your doctor advised? No more pain after eating, just when I've been on feet too long
|

replied September 13th, 2010
My doctor has advised I can potentially continue to have a natural birth if the situation doesn't get worse. After reading the previous strings, I'm scared of getting into a more painful situation as my belly continues to grow. Definately trying to stay off my feet, not pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk and be careful when sneezing, coughing etc. I've ordered a babybellyband and am also wearing medical support hose for severe vericose vein problem I'm suffering from. Please keep me posted on how your situation progresses and I'll do the same. Best of luck to you!
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2010
There are 2 support products for hernia which I tried while pregnant..the prenatal cradle and the Babybellyband (as I noticed was already mentioned). The prenatal cradle was okay at first but stretched out too much and was hard to get into as I got bigger. I then bought the Babybellyband, which I wish I knew about 1st because it was much more supportive. The groin bands are separate from the abdominal band so you don't have to step into them and you can snug them up as much as is comfortable. I could at least walk and move around and even go for walks pushing a carriage whereas, without support this was not possible. By the way, I had the hernia for 2 pregnancies and had natural births. After babies, the hernia was gone and luckily has not returned. Just to say there might be light at the end of the tunnel for those of you suffering. Hope this helps out.
|

replied November 30th, 2010
Hi just thought I'd post to say that I had a para umbilical hernia during my first pregnancy and had a natural (water birth) with 2 hours of gentle pushing without any problems.
I've also waited 22 months to have it repaired - although it has failed- they didn't use mesh and now I have a bigger more painful hernia
|

replied January 8th, 2011
22 weeks with unbilical hernia
im 22 weeks pregnant with a unbilical hrnia and its painful i just had one removed a year ago and been told i have to wait to have the baby to have surgery. i also have a pain in my left leg from my knee down and sometimes pass out my doctor tellme im fine well st least the baby is sjould i be worried.
|

replied January 8th, 2011
22 weeks with unbilical hernia
im 22 weeks pregnant with a unbilical hrnia and its painful i just had one removed a year ago and been told i have to wait to have the baby to have surgery. i also have a pain in my left leg from my knee down and sometimes pass out my doctor tellme im fine well st least the baby is sjould i be worried.
|

replied September 6th, 2011
umbilical hernia now causing pain 3 months after delivery
Hi all! I got my umbilical hernia when I was about 1/2 way thru my 2nd trimester. I am very petite..4'9" tall. My baby is now 3 months old but when I discovered mine it didn't cause me any pain right away. I delivered him vaginally and all was good. I am just now getting pain and hopefully going in to see my doctor soon so we can get this taken care of! Good luck to all! My doctor told me they wouldn't do anything about it until it started to cause me pain which I think is ridiculous! but here we go..
|

replied September 19th, 2011
hi
i have a hernia from my first pregnancy and this is my second and it hurts but ive been told to avoid having the hernia out during pregnacy as it will infect the baby and to have it out when ur fully recovered from having the baby . they say its normal and not to worry try not to do stuff that will make it hurtfull its really painfull so i know ur coming from , but enjoy rest of ur pregnancy and baby , u should of said to ur gp that u cant have it out yet ,hope this is helpfull
|
12 >>