Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

is sex the same after a hysterectomy

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I am planning on having a hysterectomy after nearly ten years of problems and trying many different treatments both medical and complimentary.
I have looked on the internet and have looked at research that has been done into the effects of removing the cervex along with the womb. The research indicated that the cervex is very important for the achieval of orgasm and that those who had a total hysterectomy had a less satisfactory sex life than those who had a supracervical hysterectomy.
Has anyone got any information/advice for me?
Many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 1st, 2003
I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY 4YRS. AGO AND I GUESS IT DEPENDS UPON THE PERSON. TO ME, IT'S NOT THE SAME, ONLY YOU CAN HAVE IT EVERYDAY AND AS LONG AS YOU WANT. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE A DIFFERENCE BUT IT'S NOT. I OFFERED MY SOME PILLS TO ENHANCE MY SEXUAL DESIRES. SO IT REALLLY DEPENDS UPON THE PERSON.
YCMOORE
|

replied August 10th, 2003
Depends On the Person
I have a very dear friend who had a hysterectomy about a year ago. She approached it with a very good attitude. According to her, her sex drive is the same and even more enjoyable. It is a very important part f her life and she refused to allow it to anything less than that.
|

replied August 26th, 2003
Experienced User
If you have had trouble for so many years, I would venture to say your sex life was also affected.

I had a hysterectomy just over a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Sex had always been very uncomfortable to downright painful until after my hysterectomy.

As previous responses indicate, going in to it with a good attitude most definitely affects the outcome.

Sex feels different at first, as did my first orgasm after my hysterectomy. I am able to have orgasms much easier now because I don't have to "hold back" to avoid the pain I felt before.

But everyone is different, so it's hard to say how one woman will do after a hysterectomy with regards to sex.
|

replied August 28th, 2003
Experienced User
I forgot to mention with my hysterectomy, my uterus, one ovary, and cervix was removed. One ovary was still viable, so it was not removed, which kept me from having to go on hormonal therapy. I'm 42, and have experienced no menopausal symptoms as of yet.

Libby
|

replied September 2nd, 2003
Sex After Surgery
Hi, i'm new here, been searching the internet like crazy for answers.
I'm 43, had surgery last november, both ovaries were left. Now going through menopause.
I had (or attempted to have) intercourse for the first time after surgery this weekend. And, to my complete shock and horror, things have changed.
I can still have an orgasm the same way as before, no change and just as enjoyable and intense.
But, my vagina feels like its shrunk, there was very little penetraction, very painful, and it felt like there was just no room in there!! My partner was not well endowed either.
I am in shock I think. My doctor told me that everything would be the same after sugery. Than again he told me I had perfectly healthy ovaries and would go through menopause in 10-15 years.
I have had so many problems since surgery, especially weight gain, and I feel like all these medical professionals out and out lied to me.
I did find one article that said that the vagina was shorter after surgery, but thats it. Some said painful sex was from lack of lubrication, but thats a problem I would rather have!
Any input would be appreciated. I am definately gong to book an appointment with my gyn asap and demand some answers
thanks
sue
|

replied August 30th, 2009
I guess the only question I had was does it feel the same for my husband. I am having a hysterectomy in Sept. I am looking forward to it. Because I have had a lot of pain with sex and hoping that it will make it better. It has been for years that I have been having pain. And I am hoping this helps. I had emdomisis since I was a teen. I guess all I want to know is it going to feel the same for me and my husband or will I reget having it done???
Thanks
|

Community Volunteer
It is wonderful...No more periods or pain...We have never been as happy in our life as we are now...I, too, had Endometriosis...I just couldn't control the bleeding...I can't say one thing negative about my experience with the exception of I wish I would have had it sooner....

Caroline
|

Thank you CarolineEF. But does it feel the same for your husband? I have so many questions and can't seem to find any answers on the net. My overies are staying in. So I am not going in to menapause before I need to LOL But what happens to the egg? Does it just disovle away. I am looking forward to no more periods that are so pain full that no amount of drugs will help with the pain. And having sex with out pain that I can not wait for.
|

Community Volunteer
The egg falls into the pelvic cavity and is absorbed into the tissue...The Fallopian tube kind of floats free without the Uterus...

Honey, I have a thread...In fact I just added to it today...I think it tells of how wonderful relations can be...Especially the post I just put on today...I was going to stop posting on it, but so many older women are reading it that I added to it...You will do wonderful...Give yourself time to heal...Expect only good things as you are going to be surprised...

Anytime you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask....

Hugs,
Caroline
|

replied August 31st, 2009
Thank You Caroline
I am 34 and have three kids am a little nervous about the hole thing and so is my husband but we know it is for my heath. Oh and thanks again for all you help. I am glad I found some one who had it done and can answer some of my questions?
|

replied September 12th, 2009
It's good to share, I delayed having a hysterectomy for a few reasons, my children most importantly, they could not tend to themselves a few years back when I finally found a doctor that offered to do the operation. Sex was also one of the reasons, not an important one but still one of the reason. Can someone tell me how the bladder is holding on with the uterus and cervix gone. Is movement minimal or back to normal? Also is there a noticable hollow empty space when the uterus and cervix is removed. Weight? Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm 45.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Hello everyone! I have a question for everyone, hopefully I can get some answers here!! Mt g/f and I have just started to have sex again about 2 months after her hysterectomy. She is concerned about two things. 1) That my penis might possibly tear through the stitched off area it the top of her vagina where the cervix used to be and 2) that if that happened, the semen would get into her abdominal area and wreak havoc. I'm fairly certain that semen is clean and sterile and would cause no harm, but I don't know what to tell her about the stitches. We have Kaiser and her doctor has not gotten back to us yet. Our first attempt at sex was not as smooth as it could have been due to her worries. Any help would be appreciated!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile
User Profile