Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Lump On the Inside of My Lower Lip ?? (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I have developed a lump on the inside of my lower lip . This happened after I bit my lower lip but after it healed, the bump came out and it got a little bigger (it is hard and rounded, the size of a pencil eraser). I'm afraid this is a tumor or something because I never had this before even when I accidentally bit my lips many times.
1. Does anyone know what this is ?
2. What type of doctor should I see to get this diagnosed ?

Thanks,
scott
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Prime007
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
Re: Lump On the Inside of My Lower Lip ??
xgene wrote:
i have developed a lump on the inside of my lower lip . This happened after I bit my lower lip but after it healed, the bump came out and it got a little bigger (it is hard and rounded, the size of a pencil eraser). I'm afraid this is a tumor or something because I never had this before even when I accidentally bit my lips many times.

1. Does anyone know what this is ?Hi scott, what has happend is that when you bit the inside of your mouth is that the tissus inside your mouth(the skin tissus)have not healed properly and have swelled.The same thing happend to my sisters boyfreind as he bit the inside of his mouth many time,give it time and it will heal and u will notice the lump will shrink

2. What type of doctor should I see to get this diagnosed ?

Thanks,
scott
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Wow you wrote your reply inside the quote. You are very gifted hehe good answer though.
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Lump On Your Lip
That bubble or lump growing on your lower lip is a mucus cyst or mucocele. I presently have the same problem. I have learnt I severed a salivary gland when I bit my lip thus a cyst came about.

To get rid of it, one has to do surgery? Is it going to leave a tiny scar that can't be seen .

Jeffery
|

replied June 7th, 2007
I Bit My Lower Lip And Have a Bump That's Getting Bigger!
Ok- Great...I have a huge tradeshow to attend this weekend and Im freaking out. I bit the inside of my lip over a week ago and now I have a growing hard bump that is starting to show when Im speaking...ugh! I was going to go to the dermatologist tomorrow...I saw the other posting here but it was back in 2005 and want to know what happened. Sounds like the same exact deal! How do I get rid of this thing in 2 days????
|

replied January 12th, 2009
I did the exact same thing just after Christmas, I was chewing some food and somehow caught my lip and bit down hard on it. I developed a large lump as you have all described that looks like an oversized ulcer.

After 2 weeks I went to my doctor who advised me I had crushed a salivery gland and they very rarely require surgery and will unclog itself given a month or two. He referred me to the dentists as I have a tendancy to worry.

Almost two weeks later it is no better, I went to the dentists today as recommended and my dentist again said it will be fine and to leave it alone. He also said to give it a month or two. He recommended that I suck on oranges or lemons or anything else that will get saliva flowing to unblock the gland.

Both advised it's harmless, rarely requires surgery and will not turn cancerous. Mine thankfully is not painful or anything, merely unsightly.
|

replied April 20th, 2009
man i was wooried thanks
i have the same thing i was even to embarrased to tell my husband he didnt even notice until last night and ive had it for almost a month thanx
|

replied April 29th, 2009
has anyone had the lump just show up?
I havent bitten my lip and this lump doesn't hurt and is not hard, just looks like a big thickly lined bubble on the inside of my bottom lip. I do wear retainers at night but it only appeared this morning and I wear retainers for over 6 months now. Thanks everyone!
|

replied May 24th, 2009
Oh man, thi site has every answer. I've got a lump too
I bit my lip about 5 times (in a span of 3 minutes at the same spot) a while back and now I have a bubble thing on the inside of my lower lip. At first it was clear, but now the liquid thing has become almost cream colored. Kinda gross too. I did try to pop it when the liquid was clear but it didn't burst. However, you could see the some blood go into the bubble.... so I stopped squishing. I want it to go away because you could see it when I talk. i should just get surgury done on it.
|

replied January 7th, 2010
I bit down on lip twice and it formed a cyst which got hard and puffy. I right away quit smoking. I went to my doctor after 3 weeks and he said to massage the cyst on til it breaks. I just went ahead and popped it. A yellow clear content came out when I squeezed it. Didn't hurt at all. I hope that's it.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
question
Mushashh, did it come back after u popped it?
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Hi gj1202. To your question, did it come back? It has healed up very well and has not returned. Once I removed it, it turned red and was a bit sore but quickly went back to normal. The doctor noticed an extremely low amount of vitamine C in my blood which may have been one of the reasons the bump formed and could not heal on it's own.
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
thank you very much, I'd like to point out that I tried this too, and it has gone down significantly, it looks like it is now patching up
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
I have this lump on my lower lip that seems to shrink a bit when I don't eat, but grows when i eat. The bump seems invisible in my mouth and can't see it. It is painless. Sounds like it has something to do with my saliva glands, but wondering if anyone has had this experience.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/ar ticle/001639.htm

this site pretty much explains it pretty well
|

replied May 26th, 2010
I just pop them when I get them.
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
Hey! I had the same happen to me, and I went to an ENT (ears, nose, and throat) doctor and he "surgically" removed it. It was because I bit a slavia gland, and when slavia tried to move through, there was a blockage, causing the "bump" to appear larger and larger.

The "procedure" took all of 10 minutes (after numbing). He numbed the area, cut out the cyst, and burned the area and it has not returned.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
k i need someone to help please. i bite the inside of my lips and cheek really bad habit i know. the one time i bit my lip a bump came up. at first i could pop it and clear fluid would come out now i can pop it and its grown. unfortunatelty i havent paid attention to how long its been. now that it's grown and i cant pop it how do i get rid of it? school starts in 3 weeeks, and team pics are in 2. help please!
|

replied September 29th, 2010
Good advice, but be careful...
I currently have the same problem. It comes and goes and I was using Genigel to heal the area after I popped the lump and it went down considerably. It was almost gone this morning and now I've literally just had lunch and its returned...I was wondering if it was a sign of dairy intolerance or if drinking coffee, tea or eating a yoghurt causes the blockage in the gland (if that is what it is)

I'm pretty sure this is the same problem I have although I am going to get it checked out properly. As with anything I'd advise everyone to go to a doctor, don't use this or any other website as gospel or you may put off checking out something that could be nothing or could be serious. Either way you'll give yourself peace of mind if you get checked out Smile
|

replied October 11th, 2010
lump in lip.
i have a lump on the inside of my TOP lip, i have never bitten my lip or anything of the kind, it had been here for over 5 months now and only now and again it causes pain and bleeds.
what is it ?
|
Quick Reply