Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Stomach Noises (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I have been suffering from really loud stomach noises for a while now and as a result of this embarressing problem I avoid quiet situations.
I still havent found an answer to my problem I was wondering if anyone else suffers this problem,
my stomach makes loud growling noises all the time and its sometimes extremely loud and lasts for about 20 seconds. This happens about every 2 hours and lasts for up to half an hour, I sometimes get a bit pain from where the growling is coming from (which is at the bottom of my tummy under my bellybutton)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eng_bassel
|

replied July 6th, 2005
I dont have an answer for you, but if you find out anything please let me know. My stomach has done this for a long time now, and I can't find anything out either. Mine is below my belly button and to the left and it's also painful and very loud. If I put my hand on it, its almost like I can feel something moving around. It's very disturbing so I know what you mean about not going to quiet places. Sorry I am of no help.
Staci
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Rumbling Noises from my left side.
I have this too.You might consider having your pancreas checked.
|

replied May 24th, 2011
My wife had this, and her symptoms got a lot worse--she had diverticulitis (pain on the left side was a major clue). This happens when pockets of the intestine get overgrown with bacteria. Another symptom is a change in bowel movements and stool color.

It was cleared up by prescribed antibiotics. She tried everything without seeing a doctor, and nothing worked. But the antibiotics did.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Stomach noises
I used to have the exact same problem as you guys so hopefully i can help! I had crazy noises that came from my stomach area that were really disturbing in quiet situations and it seemed like no matter what i would do, nothing would make it stop. I started cutting out various foods to see if it was an allergy to something. i eventually tried cutting out all gluten (mainly wheat) from my diet. After about a week or so, i stopped having the noises! I really hope this helps you! I know exactly what you are going through.
Michael
P.S. When you try this, make sure you read every ingredient list on EVERYTHING you eat. you'd be surprised at what all has gluten in it!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
i did the same thing you did. It helped with alot of my stomach problems. I ate gluten today just to see if i can and nope its way way worse then when i started the diet.
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
A simple method
Here's something (very simple) to try:
> Every morning, drink large (depending on you) quantity of water before anything else (right after getting out of bed).
> Take breakfast 1 hour after drinking water.
> At lunch, take atleast 1 yogourt after eating.
That is all...
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Mine did the same for years and I never knew why. But last year it got really bad to the point I felt like I was having really bad stomach cramps and I was in so much pain I thought my appendix was bursting... Which turned out I have celiac disease, and those weird noises was my stomach having a reaction with the food or drinks i was consuming. unfortunately its one of those intolerances doctors find it hard to pin point, so maybe avoid gluten, wheat, preservatives, and so on for two weeks to see if it is that, thats causing these noises and discomforts.
|

replied July 7th, 2005
Experienced User
I wish I had a solution because its effecting my social life. Im scared to go to the doctors because he might just laugh at me
|

replied August 14th, 2005
I posted and answer to similiar question here. I know how this could be destrubing, but don't worry too much as there is a explonation to this.

First, tell me how are your bowel movemants? Are they floating, sinking? Take the stomach acid test, because she is probably suffering from low stomach acids and not high. If the attacks are happening with food, or right after a meal, the attack is due to low stomach acids allowing foods to just sit there and irritate the stomach lining. This is what most commonly happens to people with years of low stomach acids causes a weakened pancreas. If the attacks are happening when she's hungry, empty stomach, like 4 hours after a meal, then she does have high stomach acids and the best thing for that is a bit of baking soda in warm water.

Is it fallowed with gas or not? Than it could be the poor digestion. Since the protein digestion starts in the stomach and is continued in the small intestine, it's usually a combo of low stomach acids, pancreatic enzymes, particularly protease, and sometimes low bile salts since protiens are usually combined with fats. Eat smaller portions and follow the guidelines for digestive power, such as not drinking a lot of fluids or eating a lot of fruit with a high-protein meal. A bit of cooked fruit sauce is okay, like the way we have cranberry with turkey, or pineapple with sweet and sour chicken, or lingonberry with swedish meat balls. But don't follow a meat meal with a huge raw fruit dessert! Especially if you have company! If you have chronic foul-smelling gas, best to take the acid stomach test.
If you need more info on this the good source is Askshelley.Com , go to the forum and ask and see what people and shelley has to say about this. This is just my oppinion on what I have learned from the site.
Hope this help you in some way.

Thea
|

replied September 6th, 2005
Re: Noisy Tummy
I also suffer from a very noisy tummy. It always seems to happen during very quiet times, at any time during the day. My problem is, I have started taking night classes in which many tests are to be taken. I am so worried about my tummy grumbles, I can't think straight! I am really glad to know that I am not the only person who has this problem. The thing that bothers me is, I may not have eaten all day and I still get the rumbles! Thank you thea, for the good information. I will look further into it to see if it helps me in anyway. I hate the fact that I have let it run my life.
|

replied May 3rd, 2006
Stomach Noises
I also suffer from stomach noises (very embarrassing because our office is open plan!). It got worse over the last month so I have tried a few things which have helped lessen the noises, hope this is useful to you:
i switched to a rice cereal (read about this on another website) - not sure whether I have ibs but as far as I am aware certain wheat cereals trigger ibs; but then of course dairy products can also trigger it so this might not work for everyone.
Also, I keep ricecakes in my drawer and as soon as I start feeling my stomach making funny movements or noises (usually a warning of more noise to come!) I eat half a ricecake. My stomach seems to start making noises at about the same times each day (12 and 4pm) so I try to make sure that I eat ricecakes just before that time).
I have also started eating dinner slightly earlier (6:30-7pm).
This has helped a lot - my stomach still makes noises but they are not as loud and I am able to control them by pulling in my stomach.

Let me know if this works for you.
|

replied May 12th, 2006
I'm having the same thing guys. It scares me. I've never had it till recently. My stomach will make all kinds of noises, at first I thought it was because I was hungry. But then over time noticed it happens like randomly. Or at least when i've just eaten, am hungry, and I dunno just different times. My worst fear is that it's something pretty bad, or like a tapeworm. That really freaks me out. I'm thinking of going to a doctor or something. I dunno, but yeah i'm freaked and tried to find some info, but not too much out there. And then there's things that talk about how it could be air or just your stomach working, but that doesn't sound right to me. Though possible. Then there's things saying people could have tapeworms in them for liek 10 years and not know it. But they can become quite large, steal your nutrients, and start blocking stuff. I'm a fat guy that power lifts. If I go to the doctor, it might be a weight thing, which i'd understand. There's all kinds of ways to get tapeworms, understand that. But if they're robbing my nutrients, it'll hinder me from getting stronger. I'd like to hear any kind of info from you guys, or anyone else with any kind of stomach problems.
|

replied August 30th, 2011
Have you guys every tried to detox? I do it every three months. It helps the colon, liver, removes parasites (ones that make your stomach growls), helps the skin, urinary tracts, kidneys, removes toxins, helps the lungs, stomach, and it also removes yeats.

There are all types of detox. I use The Cleaner b/c I can still go to work and have a normal life. It's available at most health food stores like the Vitamin Shoppe.

Both women and men's forumla are available. Please follow the instructions carefully and do as it tells you on the bottle.
|

replied August 9th, 2006
Stomach Noises
Well. I do have the same, I skipped school for a year and didnt really happen that often as I was back at school, but im going to college in september and im soo nervous about it, im worrying about it like everyday, and its annoying me too im sure if I go to my gp shell say ur just hungry or something (she doesnt like me much) so anyway... I came here to seach for a remedy but just got more dissapointed as no one has a solution. I noticed it gets worse if im nervous and in quiet places so I think when I go to college im going to take 2 or 3 calming pills followed by some vodka. But I cant do that every day for the next 2 years specially in the morning but I see no other solution. At least that will calm me down and be more confident about my tummy if anyone has any kind of solutoin please reply
|

replied August 20th, 2006
Oh blimey! Reading this thread has brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. I too have this embarrsaing problem & was looking for help as i'm fed up of it, when I came accross this forum.

The first time my stomach made a really loud sound was during an exam when I was 16. I managed to get through my following exams without any trouble but when I got to college I started hating sitting in quiet class rooms. I grinned and beared it for a few years but now its making me unhappy :( I was at a friends sleepover watching dvds with another friend when my stomach seemed to be getting uncomfortable, I hadn't suffered rumbling for weeks at this point but I started worrying about it & bang on cue it made a really loud groan... Friend one suddenly said 'whoa you stomach is like an animal roaring' and I must have looked really offeneded because friend 2 said 'don't worry it wasn't that loud'...... Friend 1's comments have haunted me and a year since that incident i'm still embarassed.

I'm starting uni in a few weeks and as well as the usual nerves experienced by freshers i'm terrified of my stomach showing me up infront of all the new people in the welcome lecture. I too avoid the cinema - i've been once in the last year. I get anxious watching dvds with my boyfriend because it reminds me of that sleepover incident & I hate waiting rooms or interviews.

I know mine is caused by anxiety and I find cutting out coffee & pasta (which I love!!) helps a little but not completely. I've made an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow so fingers crossed, I just feel like its such a silly problem but it takes over your life.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
same problem... the only thing that helps me is taking pepto bismol tablets an hour before office meetings or in quiet situations... hope this helps..
|

replied September 2nd, 2006
I've Tried Everything!!
After reading all your posts, I am relieved to find out i'm not the only person with this problem. I have tried everything to stop the noise to no avail. I exercise everyday. I don't eat any artificial sugar (which makes the noises worse because some people's stomach can't digest it) or any legumes. It's now at the point that if I eat anything, my stomach is loud about 20 minutes afterward. It sounds like the rumbling of a volcano, and sometimes high-pitched squealing. I'm in sales, and it gets worse when i'm doing a sales presentation, and the more stressed I get about it, the more noise my stomach makes.

I have also been diagnosed with ibs. My Dr. Gave me "hyoscyamine" which you put under your tongue when the noises start. So far, this doesn't seem to help. I also have "phazyme" which is over-the-counter, and seems to help a little. I take wellbutrin (an anti-anxiety medication), but this doesn't do anything for my problem.

I will try anything at this point. I am going to buy the yogurt. I am also going to try accupuncture. I'll let you know how it turns out. I figure it can't hurt at this point.

My mom has celiac disease, which is an allergic reaction to wheat. Her stomach is noisy too, so this could be a link to the loud noises. I have also been diagnosed with hashimoto's disease (a thyroid auto-immune disorder), and the loud noises started about the same time, so i'm wondering if there's a connection.

I will keep reading your posts to see if there are any new ideas. I think between all of us, maybe we can find some relief!!
|

replied October 10th, 2006
Ahh
I'm currently a sophmore in college and i've been suffering from this problem for about 2yrs now. I feel your pain in class/exams. Last year during finals, I had it so bad that I guessed on every single question and didn't bother to write the 2 essays. I simply walked in...Circled and left. By some miracle though, I ended up only missing 5 questions out of 70?! Smile no joke. I suppose the cosmos have a way of evening out themselves sometimes hehe.

I've found a few ways that help:

one thing I have found that works is to eat very little 20-30minutes prior to being in a quiet situation. (ex. Candy bar/few bites of sandwich) just enough to keep your stomach satisfied for a while.

Also, burping a lot (not loud, but simply making yourself do it)

keep yourself occupied (open backpack, doodle etc.)

don't think i'm crazy, but sometimes if my stomach is just being rude and obnoxious in class...I find it helps if you pinch yourself haha I guess the pain overcomes the stomach.

If your stomach is making noises I recommend moving about in your seat, readjusting yourself (the noise of your moving in your seat will drown out the sound)

========================================== =====

i want you all to know that this is simply a flaw that we have. Think about it, your life is probably better than a lot of people you know. Nobody is perfect. In the end, it all evens out. We can get through it together.

I'm going to try meditation soon (drastic? Hah) to see if it helps.

I'll keepp you posted
|

replied October 11th, 2006
This is an annoying and embarrassing condition for anyone that has it. It was one of the reasons I dropped out of graduate school (and struggled with it as an undergraduate). At times, it was just too loud and distracting.

Over the years, i've found some things that seem to minimize it. I don't remember if the following is my list that I came up with (experimenting), or if I found a list of suggestions on the internet and copied them, but either way, they seems to help.

1. Don't eat fast! Slow down.

2. Don't overfill you stomach (eat just to the point of being comfortable)

3. Don't eat if your stomach is in knots because of stress.

4. Eat lots of roughage 2 or 3 days a week

5. Cut down of sugared foods and candy (sugar helps the fermentation going on in the intestines)

6. Drink plenty of water

7. Cut down on dairy products (they are the most difficult thing for the
intestines to digest).

I don't know if this will be any help to anyone, but it has seemed to help me (to a degree). It seems like there is little information and attention about this problem from the medical community. I have even thought about starting a web site for those with this problem where we could share ideas and solutions.
|

replied January 30th, 2007
Possible Stomach Noise Treatment
Hi guys....I've had this embarrassing problem for over 6 years now...Everytime I was at college in a quiet class ...There it went....Extremely embarrassing...Even quit school cuz of it...I read a post about a month ago from a lady that said she started taking metamucil capsules....That provide fiber for regularity in your bowel....I started taking these pills for a week straight...And before I knew it, my stomach really calmed down....If I get the noises they are to the point we're its unnoticeable to the rest and only gotten it once in the past 3 weeks....I hope this helps you guys.....You can find metamucil capsules (make sure its the capsules) at duane reade or any other pharmacy store...
You can contact me at mjuarez331@aol.Com to discuss...

P.S. Way better than any gas pills I think...Those never worked for me....And if you feel you have to go to the bathroom and drop a load ..Do it...Holding it makes ur stomach make noises....
|

replied February 5th, 2007
This makes me feel a lot better. For me, this problem started in high school, junior year. I noticed that in the morning, my stomach would make these strange noises. I'd just be sitting in the library before class and the sounds would be heard. Initially I thought it was because I was hungry...But I didn't feel hungry. After a while it really got to me. It started as a morning problem, but got worse because it gave me anxiety, which became another trigger. Now whenever i'm in a quiet room…which is quite often here at college, I get nervous and start making those noises...I plan to try what some of you have suggested...Only you guys seem to get it. It's hard explaining it to other people.

Though I thought the stomach was on the right…my noises are more on the left…so maybe it’s a colon problem or intestine problem…not the stomach.
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Stomach Noises.
Remember that time in our lives when everything was great and our stomachs were prefectly quiet...? We didn't know we had it so good then. I've had this problem for two years now. Had to take a break from college because of it. I'm now back and refuse to let it ruin my life. But I know what you guys are going through. I fear quiet situations (which, in college, is practically everyday in class) and during test days, I'm so nervous about my stomach, I can't even think about the tests. But it has gotten better. Actually, I think my stomach has gotten worse...but I'm learning to deal with it.

I know that a lot of times, it's the nerves that can trigger the sounds. When it first happened, I was so nervous, I had no idea what to do. And I think everyone here probably knows the feeling. So I've learned to usually sit in the back or near the door in case I feel it coming and I should just leave lecture (people will think you're rude- but they don't know what you're going through). But I'm a bit calmer now. I'm always loaded with bread, so I'm eating bits of it during class. It helps. People might stare at you strange for sitting at some weird location or for always eating bread or whatever, but who cares? Once you stop caring and stop letting it run your life, it will get better. JUST LET IT GRUMBLE. I've still got a couple of years of college to go, and every morning, I wake up not knowing what the state of my stomach is going to be like and I'm sick of it.

I've also noticed that WE ARE NOT ALONE. I sometimes see people in class always eating or I hear stomach noises from them too and I've noticed certain people with similar habits like mine- so you'll probably fine people that this around you too. Maybe we should start an official forum? I know problems become better once you talk it out and share it with people who have the same problems.
|

replied February 24th, 2007
After reading this whole thread, I must say that I also have been enjoying these loud noises coming from my stomach for the past 4 months or so.

Funny how it doesn't hurt at all, but these noises really want to make new friends, as for some reason they only show up when I am around people.

However, I am not that worried about it... I know the cause of all this turmoil:

Ladies and gentleman... we are the privileged, we are the chosen ones...

We, are the mothers of a new generation (count yourself in even if you are a guy like me).

=== We have aliens in our stomachs! ===

Please feed them properly or they may pop out... and that wouldn't be pretty Wink
http://s3dl.com/imagehost/ver.php?id=arx11 72298505s.jpg

ok ok, I'll go ahead and buy some metamucil now.
|
Users who thank subco for this post: Pierow 

replied June 19th, 2012
This is too funny! Yor post just made me and my stomach's day, lmao!
|

replied February 26th, 2007
Found Answer to Stomach Noises
I think I posted a couple years ago, but couldn't find answers to my problem. I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of my VERY LOUD digestive issues. For the last 3 days, I have eliminated wheat (gluton) from my diet, and for the first time in 3 years, NO STOMACH NOISES!! I am thrilled. My Mom has celiac disease, but I had a blood test and tested negative. My new Dr said unless I had a severe case, my blood test would show up negative, but I could still have it. I am so fed-up with the embarrassing noises, I thought I should give it a try. I have become a militant ingredient reader the last couple of days because I was very surprised how many things have wheat that I would not have guessed (like soy sauce).

I also had very low iron when I got the test, and lo and behold, celiac disease prevents the absorption of vitamins and minerals (like iron). It all makes sense now.

Now sure if this will help any of you, but try going gluton-free and see what happens. It's been kind of a pain to avoid gluton, but I am willing so I can live without the stomach noises.
|

replied March 10th, 2007
i just want to mention tht there is a big forum on this named "noisy abdomen" if u want to find it n check it out. iv had this problem for about two years, i kno mayb not as long as sum of u on here! but i have researched this a lot, n if u check out the other forum, n check my posts, especially recent ones (there are lots!) they will be of help. u need to try natural remedies such as aloe vera juice, peppermint oil.. acidophilus!! seriously they help. look into it. its a digestive problem. im adament i have ibs (irritave bowel syndrome). my problem started, or i actually properly noticed it a month or so after i had an operation and took v strong antibiotics, which i later found out tht can cause yeast infections (candida infections) n can give symptoms of ibs. that is just one of the causes tho. it can be inherited, or whateva, its v common but as u hav found, th symptoms are horrible. this problem can be overcome physically but most of all mentally, really. practice deep breathing, and relazxing yourelf, yes meditation will help. wen u are in one of those horrible quiet situations u need to breathe slowly and deeply, this will calm u n therefore calm ur stomach. i find sitting at the back very helpful, it makes me feel much more relaxed, or sit by the door, as i feel comfortable having an easy way out n just knowing tht makes me feel relaxed n i dnt necessarily need to leave. i hav sat in a couple of talks recently n i hav just walked out!! i dnt feel bad about it. i just do it. if im sitting there feelin extremely uncomfortable, wats the point, walk out it may be embarssing for a couple of seconds but then ur out and ur free.
seriously look out for tht other forum n just check my posts (from rachie) cos i hav gone into a lot of detail on stuff n they realy do help!!
my biggest help tht i totally rely on n rarely fails me: mebeverine tablets. get them prescribed. amazing x
|

replied March 20th, 2007
i have this problem,from the last 2 years.its one of the most weird things happened to me "Health wise".People generally think that this guy is unwell,as they think that its sort of a fart.Some days the problem is so intense that the whole day i have to make sure nobody listens to my rumbling stomach noise.Recently i have found out that its because of unhealthy eating habits that we have indulged in over a period of time.
I asked one of the doctors,who said that the best thing is to exercise intensely,so that the system can function normally again.
When i say intense exercise,it has to be cardio exercise where u sweat out completly.
I think all the indigetion problem can be rectified with proper exercise everyday.As i write this i hope my rumbling stomach noise doesn't start again.i know guys"is embarressing" lets fight it out.
|

replied April 13th, 2007
Re: Possible Stomach Noise Treatment
Hi, I have been having this problem for ten years. When I was pregnant with my son, ten years ago, I did not move my bowels on a regular basis. After he was born, my problem worsened. I began to feel pressure in the upper right side of my chest. I thought it was heartburn. Then, I got the noises. It got so bad, I walked around with my arm raised because it made me feel better. One day, when it was really bad, I was lying down, and sort of pushed on my stomach. That is when I really heard the noise. It sounds like air in my stomach. I have been to 25 doctors, and have had numerous test, nothing. No one can tell me what it is. I was wondering if anyone has also had some discomfort with the noise? I get pain sometimes, and as it has gotten worse, I have this nagging feeling like something is stuck between my rib cage. Now, the only thing that helps me is when I lye down and push on my stomach. You can hear it, and you can also feel it when it moves to the other side of my stomach. Please someone tell me if they have also had this problem. Maybe try and push on your tummy a little to see if there is anything. I don't know, I am begining to think that I am the only one with this problem. No one can tell me what it is, and it is getting worse over the years, and it started out with a noise. A LOUD NOISE!! Now it is just plain uncomfortable. One doctor did tell me there was air trapped in my stomach, but really has done nothing to help me. I would really like to know if there is anyone out there with the same problem, and if so, what I can do to make it right. I can be reached at: k86hinesward@verizon.net.
|
Quick Reply