Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Blood Clots During Mensturation (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Sorry if this subject has been brought up before, but these blood clots during mensturation are starting to worry me. I don't know if other women have them, usually when I have them you can tell that their made of dry blood or some sort, during your period.

But today, there were tiney blood clots along with this weird looking clot, if you may say, on my pad. Usually I wear tampons, but i'd figure it'd be nice to let myself breathe down there once in a while. This clot wasn't like dried blood, it looked more like tissue that was being clustered with blood... It also felt more rougher, and wasn't goopey, i'm wondering whether or not it was part of my uterus lining, or tissue. Tissue? That doesn't sound so normal.... I read something about endometriosis, it's a disease for women where there are endometrial tissue existing outside of the uters (fallopian tubes, ovaries, etc), which often come out as blood clots, or excess tissue looking like so, during mensturation.

that sounds worrying, I don't know whether or not it's natural, and were wondering if you other ladies might have this happening too. I'm still pretty young, and i'd like to get this fixed as quick as possible before it's to late.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied July 6th, 2005
Experienced User
I have always had clots during my period and until a few days ago I thought it was normal but when my friend mentioned that she was going to go to the doctors because of hers it worried me beacause all of these years I thought it was normal, I also get heavy distarge between periods, could I have a desease?
|

replied December 8th, 2011
I read on a website it is perfectly normal. The only time you need to see a doctor is when you have ones that are bigger than a quarter or if you get them a lot throughout
your period.
|

replied December 8th, 2011
By the way i am a girl the website wouldn't let me pick that i am.
|

replied July 6th, 2005
Experienced User
I Have Always Had Blood Clots
Or tissue loss or whatever it is. I thought that it was normal. You are supposed to lose uterine lining during menstration.
My paps tests have always been normal and the pelvic exam has gone well too.
It only happens during my period so I have thought that i've been alright.
|

replied July 9th, 2005
Thanks for the replies, I was pretty freaked out whether or not other ladies' also had this same issue... I'm starting to finish my cycle now, and everytime I start finishing, the utreta (i think that's the scientifical term??? :?) gets really irritated, I don't know why or if it's just me, or if it's that I have some sort of infection?
|

replied July 9th, 2005
Experienced User
Vaginitis
Some women have chronic vaginitis, which is bacterial and may have an effect on the urethra...Some women take suppressive therapy for this, and discharge is one symptom, but you must get tested

normally menses do not clot, however as women age and endometrial buildups cause heavier periods, lemon sized clots are not uncommon...This is often treated late thirties early forties with d&c or ablative therapy...Hot water balloon basically
|

replied July 11th, 2005
Thanks janey,

i think it's vaginitis, I have all the symptoms of bacterial vaginitis... Do you know whether or not I could just get medicine from the drug store, instead of the whole process of going to the doc? Or will it just clear up by itself?

Thanks
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
I Have Endo
And I have always had lots of clotting during my periods even before diagnosis. But I also had the severe pain that goes along with endometriosis too. If you have very painful periods, or pain between your periods, I would ask your doctor about it. Good luck! Take care
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe, could you have been pregnant this time -snownix??
Clotting is the bodies way of stopping excessive bleeding in normal circumstances. But I guess clotting or chunks 'so to speak' could be a number of things!! Let us know what drs say!

I know in my years of mensus, my body either cleaning itself out or when I was pregnant only timmes I clotted. I say cleaning myself out as in next period after miscarriage or birth.
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Experienced User
I've always gotten them.. Not every month but for me i'm not consistant anyway. One month i'll have it light, like last month (3-4 days I couldn't believe it!).. Then one month I have it heavy.. But no clots.. Then another month that's all I get. But it's been like that for the oh... 14 years i've had my period! Hasn't caused me problems so I never asked my doctor about it and always have had normal paps. Let us know what they say though...
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Not pregnant for sure, haven't been sexually active whatsoever. I didn't go to the doc, I just took that it was bacterial vaginitis and used an over the counter drug for normal yeast infections, since there's a yeast vaginitis. It cleared up in about 4-5 days, and i've been ok since then :) . [edit] about the blood clots, I haven't went to the doc about that yet, I still don't know if it's endo or just normal mensturation.

One more question [don't think it's worth a whole nother topic]- when you shave down there, I think it's natural to have pimples if it's irritated or done improperly? But i'm still a virgin, and there has been two red bumps down there that have been there for a few weeks now. Is that a pimple and should I be worried or what? :?
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ingrown hair...I would not worry about it.
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Clots and cramps were always my thing with my period but I could never wear tampons, I always had to wear those big, thick back in the saddle kotex, as you can probably tell I am a lot older than you.
With the cramps we were always told at home to take two aspirins and go to school, within an hour later at school I would be at the nurses station, she would give us hot water with ginger which would gag us to drink it but it seemed to break up the cramps and the clots after we layed down for about one hour.
I never had endometriosis(sp), thank goodness. I now have a hysterectomy but as I said before, I am older than you.
If you ever feel something is not right, you should go get it checked out,
this is your body and you are the one that has to take care of it and live with it.
|

replied November 7th, 2005
For me clots are completely normal. I have build up of the uteran lining. It doesnt shed all the way and it will shed the next period causing me great deals of cramping and sometimes vomitting. I forget what its called. We found this out when my periods didnt become regular after being so regular all the time. Imagine a 12 year old on the table and the doctor saying that you might have cancer...We need to run tests. From that day on I have been very conscious of my body and you know when somethings right and something not. But do keep in mind that everyone is different. :wink:
|
Users who thank NancyJohnson for this post: evlstar 

replied January 23rd, 2008
blood clots during menstration
I had ovarian cysts so I had them surgically removed while he was doing that he said that he also saw that I had endometriosis and said that was why I had the blood clots.

I limit eating chicken because I feel that the hormones they give them are affecting my hormones. Since then I am feeling a bit better.
|

replied February 19th, 2009
periods come every 42 days late heaveay with lot of big clots
from last 12 year i have this problem i am now 24 now i start this on my age of 12 i live with this
this is rubbish diease i dont know how i get rid of it
anamic worried and so stressful life with this problem not any doctor help me no treatment
i have hypothroyid problem toooo
and infertality problem toooo
first five days periods come very light after 12 days periods come very very heavy with toooo much clots total periods 18 every month
any one can imagine this .
i am alive from the 12 year with this problem ;--((((((
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
Clotting during a period is actually normal. Your body is shedding the uterine lining that has built up in preparation for pregnancy. Our bodies produce anti-clotting agents but sometimes, usually around the heaviest days of a period, the blood is being pushed out faster than the body is producing the anti-clotting agent.

If clots are continuous during a period and larger than a quarter there may be cause for concern and you should speak with a health care professional. Clots are usually dark, brown or black (old blood) and occasionally small bright red. If you have large bright red clots that continue seek medical advice.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
miscarriage?
could the blood clots also be a result of a miscarriage?
|

replied May 13th, 2009
Blood clots during menstruation
I've just turned 21 and between 16 and 18 I used to have irregular and very heavy periods. Fortunately for the past few months I've started to have a monthly cycle (though I still can't tell when exactly during the month) and they have become lighter and lighter. Now I'm getting blood clots instead of an actual proper flow and I'm wondering if it's because I need to thin my blood or whatever?
|

replied July 29th, 2009
cloting
I went to my OBGYN a few months ago and my pap came back irregular, and they wanted to see me back in a year. Since then I have noticed that when I have my period it is much more cloty. I'm not sure if this is something to worry about or not. Was just hoping to get some others opinions...thanks
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
Clots are nothing to worry about unless you have other symptoms with them, but alot of young girls and women clot. Females that have heavy periods are more prone to clotting. Some clots can be small, some huge, and all textures and consistencies. I had them through my whole menstrual life, and never had a problem with anything else other than the cramping and heavy bleeding which was normal for me. Don't worry, you're more than likely fine.
|
12 >>