Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

How Long Do You Bleed After the Birth ??? (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hey everyone, I have a question. How long did you all bleed for after you had your babies ? When I had my daughter 13 years ago, I bled for about 6 weeks, and the doc said that was a fairly long time.

Regards...

Suzy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MissRalux
|

replied November 17th, 2003
My experience definately is not the norm. A week after I gave birth to my son I went on the depo shot, I continued to bleed for weeks and my doc tried everything, birth control pills ontop of the shot, hormone pills and it did not stop, I bled for over a month, probably close to two, then it slowed a little and I spotted/light period for a year and a half! After 10 months I went off the shot because I figured that was what was causing the bleeding and I continued, then after a year and a half I went back to the doc and got the pill and within two weeks the bleeding was gone. But the year and a half of panty liners was not a fun thing!
My advise is, to me, it was normal because it is what I went rhough, maybe it is your birth control if you are on any, if so, try going off it and switching to something else. Good luck to you!
|

replied November 18th, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi kylerz,

hey thanks for your reply. Wow it sounds like you had a bad experience with the after bleeding thing. I haven't actually had my baby yet, I was just wondering what experience others have had with the after birth bleeding. I did however, give birth to my daughter 13 years ago, and bled quite heavily for 6 weeks after, and I didn't know it that was normal.

Regards,

suzy
|

replied October 25th, 2004
Read
I dont know what kind of doctors yall have but bleeding for 6weeks after a baby is normal some women bleed any where from 4 to 6 weeks I bleed for 6 weeks with both of my kids
|

replied October 26th, 2004
Experienced User
Wow
I didn't know you could bleed for that long! I bled for 7 days and that was it. Then I didn't get my period for 4 months. Hmm 6 weeks wow that is a long time. I guess it must vary from person to person huh?
|

6 weeks is very normal. I can't beleave some of you only bled a week or two. Lucky!!! I bled for 6 1/2 weeks after my son was born 7 years ago. Did you guys breast feed?? I heard that if you do it stops the bleeding. I didn't so maybe thats why I bled for over 6 weeks.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It ranges.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Still Bleeding
I gave birth 6 weeks ago and I am still bleeding. I had a c-section so I'm not sure if that makes a difference in anything. My bleeding started out light for the first 2 weeks, by week three it went back to bight red and with an occational clot. I thought at this point that I had started my period but the next day the bleeding had slowed. The bleeding continued but it was light and pale red up until about week 5 then it came back heavy and bight red. Again I thought I was starting my period. The doctor started me on birthcontrol to try and regulate everything and sent me for an ultrsound to make sure everything was ok. The ultrasound came back normal but the bleeding still hasn't stopped. It's been 7 days now that I am taking the birthcontrol and the bleeding seems to be getting worse not better.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Sensitivity After C-Section
One more thing and I don't mean to change the subject...I had a c-section 6 weeks ago and can't seems to find anyone who has had the same experience I've had. Maybe someone on here can help.
After having the c-section the skin on my stomach has become overly sensitive. I don't mean the incision. It starts about half an inch above the incision and goes up to my belly botton. It feels as though I have really bad sunburn. Having my clothes rub against it or anything touch that area is painful. It is a constant pain but every now and again I'll get real bad stabbing pains in that area as well.
I talked to my doctor about it and he said he has never heard anything like this before. He checked to make sure I didn't have a hernia and I don't. Then he said the only thing he can think is that it may be nerve damage. He told me to wait it out another month to see if it takes care of itself. If not we'll go from there.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?
|

replied September 20th, 2011
I have the same exact thing.The sensitivity that feels like a sun burn and annoying stabbing pains occasionally.This was my first c section and my son will be a month old on the 23rd of this month.I'm guessing it's normal.
|

replied April 11th, 2012
tummy pain after section
I have had 3 c-sections and have experienced the same thing plus where they have stitched the layers inside and tied this on one side I experience terrible pain when getting in and out of bed etc. The sensations do gradually comes back but it takes a while and the soreness of the skin goes however the skin on your tummy above your scar will probably always have a certain level of numbness unfortunately.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
I had my baby 2 months ago and i bled only for 1 week and i had my period the following month, but it was pretty heavy and painful. I guess is different for everybody. I don't breastfeed.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
See that's another thing...I breastfed for the first month. Don't they say that's supposed to help stop the bleeding?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Supporter
For me, I bled for 5 weeks after the birth of my daughter. On week 6, I got the Mirena IUD, which made me bleed for another 7 months straight.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Sensitivity After C-Section
shelley5066 wrote:
One more thing and I don't mean to change the subject...I had a c-section 6 weeks ago and can't seems to find anyone who has had the same experience I've had. Maybe someone on here can help.
After having the c-section the skin on my stomach has become overly sensitive. I don't mean the incision. It starts about half an inch above the incision and goes up to my belly botton. It feels as though I have really bad sunburn. Having my clothes rub against it or anything touch that area is painful. It is a constant pain but every now and again I'll get real bad stabbing pains in that area as well.
I talked to my doctor about it and he said he has never heard anything like this before. He checked to make sure I didn't have a hernia and I don't. Then he said the only thing he can think is that it may be nerve damage. He told me to wait it out another month to see if it takes care of itself. If not we'll go from there.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

You're still healing. I have the exact same thing and I gave birth 10wks ago. I keep having sharp pains around the incision. You were cut open and pulled apart, it's not going to feel good for awhile.
|
Users who thank Lilly Ivy for this post: shelley5066 

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Supporter
I had my baby almost two yrs ago. I only bled for around 2 weeks.
|

replied June 20th, 2008
Lilly do you also have the sensitivity or just the stabbing pains? Cause for me the stabbing pains come and go, it's the sense that my skin is being burned off that really bothers me. I understand a c-section is major surgery. I've had a few surgerys (not c-sections) before so this is not my first time going under the knife. Though it is the first time I've ever had complications.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I have both. The sensitivity has gone down a bit, but I can't rub it too hard or else it HURTS. The stabbing pains will hit me about twice a day, and probably last 1-2 minutes. I have to completely stop what I'm doing until they pass.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
I was still bleeding at my 6 week PP check-up. Granted, by then it was brownish discharge, but it was still actively coming out. I also breastfed exclusively.
|

replied June 21st, 2008
It's helps to know I'm not alone. Thank you Lilly!
Back to the bleeding question. When is it time to start worrying? Monday the 23rd will be 7 weeks and my bleeding only seems to be getting worse. It is very heavy and I ofter have clots. I know there are women who bleed this long but shouldn't it be light and pinkish, not heavy and dark red?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It's possible that it's the birth control that's making you bleed so heavily. I would contact your doctor with your concerns and see what s/he says.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I bled for 4 days after having my son and three weeks after having my daughter. It varys. If you pass large clots (bigger than a quarter) or soak a pad in an hour or less, call your Dr.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul