Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Hard Painful Cyst-like Lump

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi everyone, I don't know where to ask this but I guess I should try in the skin disorder forum.

I'm out of ideas what this might be, but I would like to ask before I go to the doctor's. Just above my behind (i don't know how to call it really so i'll be a bit vulgar and say where my ass-crack is and it goes towards my right upper butt cheak) I have a hard lump formed under skin. It's about an inch and a half in size and in the middle has like a brownish cap that when squeezed oozes bloodish foul smelling liquid. I noticed it 3 days ago and is very painful that I have to position myself when I sit to make the pain go away. I'm a bit concerned with what it might be.

Do you have any ideas what it might be or if there's reason for real concern?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Answer to Your Qusetion..
Hello,
unfortunatly... You have what is comonly called a "carbunckle". They are basiclly a cyst caused by bacteria. I have suffered for years and I have a home remidy that works quite well.

Clean the area well with alcohal and put any kind of clay mask( that you would use on your face) entirly over the lump, let it dry and cover with a large bandaid. Repeat every day untill it is dried up, usually about 3-4 days. It really works. I would try this before seeing a md.
I have had them lanced at the doctors office and allthough it helped.. It was very painful.
If you start to get them in other spots... You may choose to ask for antibiotics, but they only help temporarily.

Sincerely& sympothetic
tenny
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
Does noxema work as one of the clay masks
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
I don't think to it is clay mask!!
|

replied July 10th, 2005
Experienced User
Good Idea
I'll remember that for some of my pts...It's common--i think I would suggest peroxide instead of alcohol since the latter doesn't really kill anything (more surfactant) whereas peroxide kills everything...Use peroxide a lot, it's very effective for any bacteria it can actually touch...
The clay sucks out the insterstitial juices, probably works better than calamine...I wonder if your remedy would work good on shingles and poison ivy, other weeping rashes?
|

replied August 21st, 2008
answer - I know its a few years later but info for others
I had a lump similar to where your talking about pretty much on my ass crack. it came and went for years. finally it got bigger and bigger to the point where i couldn't sit or lay on my back. Went to the hospital and the doc lanced it ( very very painful) and then I was scheduled for surgery to have it removed. its called a pilonidial cyst. Its basically an infected in grow hair.
|

replied August 28th, 2008
sounds like a cyst to me, could be cause by ingrown hair or just bad luck that the pore got clogged up and infected. from my research many ppl have them for different reasons, i wouldn't recommend popping it on ur own. the cyst is already infected and that's why ur feeling it and the reason why it smelled horrible when it popped. so don't really want to pop it and then not have it clean and get reinfected. i say go to ur doc and have them remove it, depending where it's at or how big it is, u could possibly go into a doc's office have it remove it and be out of there in less than an hour. They'll numb the area and have it pop or cut out, u might even be able to look at it once it's out. After that they'll just stitch it up and tell u to take some pain killers, pretty much how they treat any stitches at that point.

Or u can put a heating pad on the area of the cyst about twice a day, the point is to hopefully bring the temperature up to melt the waxy substance inside. read that it can be done but i'm not sure how effective it is and depends on the type of cyst u have.
|

replied February 17th, 2009
cyst/carbunckle
My son had a large one in the same place. (He is an over the road trucker.) It was quite large and had to be surgically removed. The doctor did not stich it up. He packed it with gause and let it heal from the inside-out.The gause packing was saturated with sterile water and had to be changed several times a day. They did not stich it because it could have formed a pocket and more infection. Another one formed this Jan/2009. Not as bad but very close to original. The pharmacist recomended using "Black Salve". You put the salve on the carbunckle for a couple of days. You must cover with bandage to keep black off clothing. It draws to a head and bursts and drains on its own. Hope this helps someone.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
If I'm not mistaking... we are more suceptable to this bacteria because we have some sort of virus. Is this correct. Is there a way to suppress this virus, or if not a way to avoid the bacteria that give us these cysts?
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Hard painful bump on butt crack
Hi,I too have a painful hard bump under the skin on my crack it doesn't open up or have a head or ooze anything but is painful at times. It comes for awhile then goes away,but comes back in the same spot.I saw my doctor and was not happy with his care at all.He asked me some quest about the bump I have and said it sounded like Herpes before he even examined me.Then the exam was so unproffesional and unreliable I was pissed.My exam included of him calling the nurse in and having me pull my pants down bend over and kinda spread my butt cheeks apart for him and the nurse to look at,he didn't even touch me and feel the hard lump under my bump and then told me,yep it sure looks like herpes.Then he washed his hands like he touched me,maybe it was out of habit,but it still bothered me..I had my blood drawn in the office for a herpes test and I asked the nurse who was in the room if it looked like herpes to her and she said no.When I got home and looked up herpes and read it all and saw pictures of it I knew my bump was not a herpes bumps and came across other things that looked my bump.I have also been feeling a lil sick since my bump popped up,but my doctor won't listen to me.Should I go to the hospital and have it checked out or wait and see if it changes???
|

replied June 28th, 2010
Sounds like you may have what I had. I had a pilonidal cyst on the very lower part of my back. Right on my crack. That is always going to come and go unless you have it surgically removed and make sure they completely remove it or else it will come back again. Mine did come back about 3 years after I had it removed and then it popped by itself one night while I was asleep and it's been about 4 years and it hasn't come back. My docter said that when it popped the last time it might have cleared up itself. But your symptoms are just like how mine were. It started off as a hard, painful bump and 2 years later it popped and formed a cyst on the outside which would ooze and was the most digusting thing I have ever had to deal with. So I suggest going to a different doctor and letting them know you believe you have a pilonidal cyst that should be removed. Hope this helped.
|