Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Cholinergic Urticaria (heat Hives) (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Cholinergic urticaria: tiny lumps (2 to 4 mm diameter) all over appearing when the body gets hot, especially when exercising, are typical of 'cholinergic urticaria'.

I am 19 years old. Whenever I exercise, actively working, or just heat up within 5-10minutes I will break out in hives. It is a very sharp tingly feeling and that is when I know I am breaking out followed by quarter-sized blotchy red spots on the stomach, chest, back, neck, face. I have tried several medicines. The first one was loratadine. It worked nicely but one day just stopped working. So I tried stronger medicine called hydroxyzine. This medicine was making me crazy because within an hour of taking the pill I would become very drowsy and my concentration very fuzzy, I couldn't even socialize because it would make feel like a zombie. Nice thing about was it would block the hives out cold no matter how hot I got and not a single itch. So I got off that crap and I had to use that for like 6 months! Now I am on zyrtec. It works and doesn't. It will block the outbreak but I still itch a little mostly on the underarms and scalp. So it is hell trying to manage these hives. Another problem is the redness on my face probably due to the histamine. It is concentrated around the nose and resembles mild rosacea. I am fairskin too.

I am not allergic to anything like food, soap, or anything nobody seems to believe me in my family when I say I break out whenever I heat up or actively working.

I read that the preciptating cause of cholinergic urticaria is sweating. If I get into a hot car for example, I will break out in 5-10minutes but I don't sweat profusely, just heating up. It sucks because I live in florida.

I have had these hives for two years more or less! It doesn't quite run in my family. My 18yo brother gets welts and really scary looking hives but it is very infrequent and not chronic.

I am going to see a dermatologist again in 2 weeks. I am tired of medicine and need a cure.

Thanks a lot.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper catech
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
I'm 21. I have cholinergic uriticaria also. It started 6 months ago in the winter. I'm dying right now since it's summer and I can't even go outside. The itch is so unbearable. The instant I get hot, I get itchy and rashy. It's probably because I used to sweat very easily as a child so that might make it worse. I'm hoping it will go away before I start school but reading about everyone else is making me very pessimistic. People having it for years. I'm currently on zyrtec and tagamet but it doesn't work that well.
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
There Are Solutions
Hi! I have chronic urticaria aswell which gets worse by hot food, heat, sweating, stress etc. I have tried many histamines and zyrlex has worked ok. However if you want to have them removed 90 - 100 % try acupuntcure which is very effective. The other very effective remedy is homeopathic medecines which will make your lives truly bareble again. My remedy (each remedy is individualised) constitues of ribes nigrum, viola tricolor, apis mellifica, histaminum (all 4 3 times per day) and formidium d6 (one 1 ml ampul per night). This remedy keeps the hives and itch away, you wont even believe the state you were in before you started. The good thing is that it is all natural medecines so there are no siede effects. Try it and regain control...
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
There Are Solutions
Hi! I have chronic urticaria aswell which gets worse by hot food, heat, sweating, stress etc. I have tried many histamines and zyrlex has worked ok. However if you want to have them removed 90 - 100 % try acupuntcure which is very effective. The other very effective remedy is homeopathic medecines which will make your lives truly bareble again. My remedy (each remedy is individualised) constitues of ribes nigrum, viola tricolor, apis mellifica, histaminum (all 4 3 times per day) and formidium d6 (one 1 ml ampul per night). This remedy keeps the hives and itch away, you wont even believe the state you were in before you started. The good thing is that it is all natural medecines so there are no siede effects. Try it and regain control...
|

replied August 2nd, 2005
There Are Solutions
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Cool, thanks. I'll look into that. I was thinking about going to a chinese herbalist too to try to get some medicine. I don't know if I want to do acupuncture yet. The thought about needles makes me shiver.
|

replied August 4th, 2005
Ok Skip Acupuncture
And go for the homeopathic remedy instead. It is also better to do that because a longterm homeopathic remedy will cure urticaria however acupuncture just relives you of the symptons.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
As an acupuncturist myself I can assure you that acupuncture works to relieve symptoms AND address the underlying causes of the urticaria. Urticaria can only happen when the body has some constitutional weakness. Once the acute symptoms are improving treatment should focus on the root constitutional causes. In this way it can prevent future attacks from occurring
|

replied April 6th, 2012
Help Required
Hi Dr.

My mother is suffering from the heat hives from almost past 9 months now. No positive results to be seen yet from Ayurveda which she has continued since starting. Please suggest the acupunctre centre if you have any knowledge or your known one in Delhi India.

Please provide your contact details so that We could get in touch for the same and find any solution out.
|

replied August 11th, 2005
Experienced User
Itching For a Cure
I was never dignosed but way back in high school, I was one of the last ones, maybe even the last one sometimes, from running the mile in p.E
class, then I was in decent enough shape, but what made me slow down was I started itching!

I remember I was itching on my thighs and sometimes my arms
and butt! I remember scratching my butt there on the track with anyone who was able to see me, I remember I did not care, because the itching was so intense

i still itch sometimes when I am in the pool, my palms of my hand and soles of my feet would itch...

Taking a walk, even if I do not feel it is hot out, it drives me insane

i am 40 pounds overweight (long story) exercising is really hard on me
this is so bizzarre

i have a zillion problems, I do not need this one, that I have had forever

i used claritin but that did not work, last time I took a walk, I starting itching, and I started scratching my thighs, reminded me of well over a decade ago.. So I usually exercise at home.

Does this go away ever???
|

replied August 12th, 2005
Shanti
You could try and read the previous postings and you can find solutions to your problem if you are interested in getting one.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
I Hate Hives
16 years iv been putting up with it..I get all hives imaginable!! I get them from stress, heat, pressure being anxious,excited,my eyes swell shut, my face will look like i'v been beat up..Now when I am in the sun I get huge welts..When I stay up to late the next ay I have hives..When I get a common cold, I swell with hives bad...I'm really sorry there are other people out there suffering, but i'm not alone..Help me
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Connorstreva, do you have a doctor who can help you? Allergist, dermatologist, family physician? Do you take any antihistamines? I dont know how much we can help you out...

Anyways... For the second part of my post, ive gone to a chinese herbalist yesterday and today picked up my medicine.. Its this strong smelling brownish liquid but for some reason it tastes good kinda... Im supposed to take it for 20 days and it should be better... The guy said that my yin/yang was out of balance and that my yang was in excess... Now, I really dont know if I 100% believe all this stuff... I am in the health profession, or at least studying the field and I see things in the biological/scientific perspective... Im kind of skeptical on this whole thing but I also have no other choice except rely on antihistamines... So im just hoping that it will work out all right... Ill let you guys know how its going...
|

replied August 17th, 2005
Good For You Dc!
Yes do believe it, there is an imbalance in your yang and it is what's causing your hives, you need yin (salad, walks in the woods not hot foods etc, city life). I have always been curious of yin/yang and chinese medecines however I became a believer when after my first acupunture treatment got rid of 90 % of my urticaria! I was told just as you that I have this imbalance and too much yang (energy, stress etc) and it needs cool off to reach balance with yin. The important thing is that it has worked, I haven't tried chinese medecines though, I am on homeopathic medecines which claim the same thing however with different termology than yin and yang.
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Update: its been about 10 days since I started taking the chinese herbal medicine... And... I think its working... Im not really sure though because ive been trying to avoid the heat as much as possible, plus the weather is starting to cool down... I still have 10 more days till I finish my medicine... I have completely gone off zyrtec and other antihistamines... So maybe there is an improvement since I dont have to be on those antihistamines anymore... I dunno, I just hope it goes away soon... Ill update again in another 10 days when I finish...

But a question for everyone whos got cholinergic urticaria... Do you find yourself under alot of stress? I mean, before you got the hives... People say that if you are under alot of emotional stress , that could cause the hives... For me, I am under alot of stress so maybe im thinking thats why I got this... Cause stress alters your immune system and all... Just a thought...
|

replied September 5th, 2005
Cholinergic Urticaria
Hi

i am new to this group..I too have been suffering from cu for quite some time. A little bit of help from my side..
Some one told me to have ostocalcium tablets while planning for physical activites. It worked for me.. :p
in my country they are available by gsk. Just have 1 or 2 tablets while going for a jog or any other outdoor activity. Initially have it for about a week before starting outdoor activities that cause rashes. After that during physical activites just keep chewing these tablets.
But do not take excess of these tabs as excess calcium may lead to stones in kidneys. ( remote possibility only if you have some history of that sort, otherwise good for bones :? )
anyway give it try..It might work for couple of you..
Do post the results

vik
|

replied September 17th, 2005
Re: Cholinergic Urticaria
Hello! I'm new to this forum too. I also have cu. I've had it for going on 6 years now. I definitely believe stress triggers the disease (in my case.) and, even after changed my life-style, I think the chemical pathways in my body had learned a *habit,* and continue to react to acetylcholine. I'm in the process of working with an acupuncturist who specializes in endocrinology (hormones) to "break" the habit and induce a shift. She found (via lab tests) that my adrenals and progesterone are depleted, which effects my body's ability to produce corticosteroids -- the hormones that reduce inflammatory/allergic response. This is a very simplistic description of a complicated problem... And I think all of us probably develop cu for different reasons. My acupuncture tells me I have too much yin too. Basically, if you get cu, it's a sign that something in your body is out of balance. I agree that acupuncture and homeopathy (and perhaps some psychtherapy) are in order!

Cleo, i'm so curious about the homeopathy. Are you 100% cured? I wonder if your homeopath could recommend somebody in my area??
|

replied October 8th, 2005
Need Your Help-i Have Cholinergic Urticaria
Hi I read your post and I had some questions about what you posted.
You mentionned some ingredients that you used, I am wondering how I can gain access to the ingredients you mentionned and what kind of side-effects positive or negative I can expect regarding cholinergic urticaria.

Here is what happens to me. Whenever my body temperature rises, instead of sweating I get this tingling which really burns and itches like hell, and I end up about 4 minutes later with these small red patches in the area where the tingling takes place, could be arms, hands feet, chest, neck. After I go through a breakout, I feel my throat is constricted and have difficulty breathing properly.

I have had this for about 8 months now, and the doctor at the hospital diagnosed me with cholinergic urticaria, if you could please advise me as to what I should I do , or what I could take and where I could gain access to it, I would appreciate your help greatly.

Thank you
sal

ps: I don't know if this happens to you, but I haven't sweat a drop in like nine months, I tried exercising a couple of times, doing a little running, but then I immediately get this tingle and break out into hives. If I try to continue exercising, ill just get more of this burning tingle and ill feel short of breath and have to stop.
|

replied November 1st, 2005
Newbie to Cu
I am so glad to come across this forum. I can read and relate to most of you guys(almost identical with "never sweat") and iam glad that iam not alone in this. I have been to countless number of doctors trying to find out what I have.. Even took mri's thinking that it was a neurological disorder. However, when all test came out negative, they started to treat me like iam crazy and told me that it was all in my head. All that countless hours of researching online seem to finally payoff. I have tried taking allegra, hydroxyzine, claritin but none of them seems to work.

I read all of the posts and have some questions about them. Can you guys please help??!

1) verne-what your acupunturist said seems to make lot of sense.

Can you please update us of your treatment status?

2) cleo-where do you live? I live in chicago. Where can obtain such medicie here?

3) have anyone else tried taking the ostocalcium and see good results like vik??

I would greatly appreciate your replies.

Thanks!

Sincerely, aaron

here are my description of my symptoms.

Little tiny pin pricks, thousands of them all at once in waves and waves all over body. It could occur and disappear as fast as a normal person would get goose bumps. The prickling sensation could be strong enough to cause extremely itching/prcikling irritation all over the body at a instant that is physically and mentally overwhleming but also mild as if they are little tiny electricity going through my body. The symptom seemed to be triggered by even the smallest increase in body temperature. Similarly, any activities that trigger adrenaline in the body will activate such symptoms.
Until early september, I was able to work up a sweat and the prickling feeling will be there only when my body is warming up but then go away afterward once the body reached its high temp plateau. However, since mid september, during my exercise, I have noticed that my body stop producing sweat except in my facial area. In addition, I would get this tiny red (goose bump size) along with extreme heat/inflammation on my skin. In consequence, my body will over heat and grow weary quick. Also I have been experiencing frequent urge to urinate.
|

replied November 19th, 2005
No Alcohol For Cu
Hi all

one piece of suggestion. Please avoid alcohol of any kind..
It causes dilation of skin and hence increases chances for cu hives.

Take care
vik
|

replied November 20th, 2005
Interesting...
My first cu symptom I have encountered was the day after I came back from a friend's graudation party where I have drank little more than I should have. (past june)
vik, do you have any further details on your statement or any studies to support?

I have read from another foreign forum that this guy cured his cu from running everymorning and night, ignoring the prickling feeling and non sweating condition. After awhile, in duration of 6 months, his symptoms got better and now where he is fully cured, sweating normal and no sign of prickling feeling.(of course, he goes further in details as to what he found out about this condition over 6 years he had them, and why he realized that "sweating" is the key to solving this condition") so I have been running every morning and night... Still no sign of sweating but I am continuing in hope..

I would greatly appreciate any information or insight shared...

Thank you all and hope everyone will be cured.
|

replied November 29th, 2005
Wow
This is great to find people who have the same thing; makes me feel like i'm not totally isolated out here. Neversweat I have the same problem, exactly in the same manner that your's occurs.

Has the homeopathic medicine actually worked for you guys who have been using it a long time? Also, any idea of how long this thing lasts? I seem to remember itching really bad when I was sweating as a 10-12 year old kid at certain times, but not always. It only seems to have kicked in over the past year. Btw, im a 22 year-old male who lives in fl.
|