Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Flushed, Hot Face (Page 1)

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
Does anyone get a hot feeling in there face and ears, and a flushed look? This happens to me often, I dont really have any problems with my bp. Do summer from severe hypochondria, have for 15 plus years.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper PumpinIron80
|

replied July 1st, 2005
Experienced User
Could be blushing from embarrasment or anger,
keep head and face suntanned and avoid niacin, a vitamin that makes the skin go red and hot
look up rosacea on the net but this is doubtful
|

replied July 4th, 2005
Snap!
This is exactly what I need to know thanks!

I have exactly the same problems, flushing and worried about illness for ten years now.

Im so glad im not on my own!, its really hard to desribe this flushing/blushing.

I have actually been diagnosed with social stress anxiety and this is due to my fear of blushing/flushing.
|

replied November 9th, 2011
I hope this helps:)
Your most certainly not alone! I have been an anxiety/panic disorder sufferer for 10 years. I.often have this feeling. Recently out of nowhere I'll get hot flashes that feels like my insides are on fire! It's my chest, neck, face and ears. Don't worry it's a natural part of anxiety and it even happens to a lot of people I know who don't have it. I notice mine and then it usually gets worse after I start worrying over it. Just try cool wet rags and relax. It will pass:)
|

replied July 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Fear of blushing can become a severe problem, a beta blocker med prescribed by doc also helps
in evxtreme cases, block out makeup as used by menopausal women to hide flushing can be used on face and neck
|

replied January 26th, 2012
beta blocker? isnt this more for heart related problems? what is block out makeup? i dont have to anxious about anything.. i can be sleepy or not thinking of anything and it will happen. is there a condition... of flushing that is not anxiety and more physical?
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Maybe sleep apnea? Get checked
|

replied February 14th, 2012
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
Red Cheeks Sensation
I experience the same thing and am experiencing it now. There's no clear cause, I just feel my neck and cheeks especially get very warm and visibly they turn red. I have come to the conclusion that this is not all psychological, but also very much physiological as well.
|
Users who thank rosyredman07 for this post: kevinredface1 

replied August 26th, 2005
Experienced User
I would after working out for like 2 hours and overdoing it. I'd kinda get dizzy and then my face would get flushed. Sometimes I think it's my blood pressure shooting up too fast from working out on adderall. I'm pretty sure it's due to something stupid I did. My face would also feel like it was almost on fire... I never got any marks or blemishes after, rosacea would cause weird nonstop redness.
|

replied August 27th, 2005
Me Too
I have had this prob for yrs on and off.... Especially around the neck rea...Blotchy neck and burning cheeks... Doc told me it was a flea or flight thing from the stone age times.... In other words an adrenilin rush which pumps the blood vessells to the top of the skin to look more ready for war!
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Adrenal Glands
I have the same problem and was recently told my adrenal glands were'nt functioning right. My norepinephrine levels are high so I have to see an endocrineologist.
|

replied August 29th, 2005
Wow, tell me about it. I have let my life be dominated by such extreme blushing that people look at me in shock. I blush all over my face, neck, chest, stomach and back. People have never seen it before and most of all, I have never seen anything like it.

Nobody understands the hurt and humiliation it causes me and I would do anything to swop my life with a teenage girl who does not have the ability to blush.

|

replied April 4th, 2012
You're not alone. Im a guy. Just turned 17. And this has been destroying every aspect of my life for the past year. I hesitate to do anything with anyone in fear of the bright...BRIGHT...red color my face turns and the heat that goes along with it. It's not even just that though. Once its begun, I can't think of focus or have a conversation. It is truely awful. I thank God everyday for the things I have but this condition is so debilitating...it's difficult to be optimistic. I've dropped out of school and had to enroll in online classes. I cant get a job because everytime I score an interview, I end up getting asked "whats wrong with me". Im convinced they dont hire me because of it.

Im on 100 mg doxycycline twice a day for perioral dermatitis and I have orthostatic hypertension. I dont know if this info helps anyone at all but I know how fruaterating it is looking for an answer or cure and NO ONE having one.

Ive always been so outgoing and social and fun. This has ruined me.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied October 10th, 2012
what worked for me :)
Everyone on here is looking for a cure, well i can only tell you what worked for me. I used Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it truly worked for me. It's not an easy fix like popping a pill...it takes effort and you have to go to therapy. I used to get hot, red face all the time. Mostly in the evening. Whether i was relaxed at home on the couch by myself or with friends at a restaurant...it began to seriously ruin my life. Cognitive Behavior therapy (or CBT) was scary at first because the first thing i would do in therapist's office is blush/flush! The room felt stuffy, warm and i was uncomfortable, but in a strange way this was good because it made my problem arise quickly and we both got to deal with it right away. I had a very good therapist, she walked me through my thoughts and fears of having such a hot, flushed face, i.e. "i feel ugly, people think im a freak of nature, everyone is going to look at me". I took pages of notes and she even gave me homework! I kept breaking down my thoughts until my brain learned to retrain itself "oh, i dont need to flush or if i do, its OK" Telling myself over and over truly made it stop happening. But it took time. My symptoms subsided with each visit (over 9 months) and completely went away in one year. CBT works best with flushing associated with anxiety/panic, perfectionism, type personalities. For 7-10 years my hot face was completely gone, and I mean gone. Only recently it has started to come back. I'm ok tho, i think i will try another round of CBT and try to re-train the brain again. Good luck.
|

replied December 15th, 2012
i completly understand what ur sayin i have this bright red blushing w anxiety and ive been having to go to jail alot with it if you can imagine what thats like i still have alot court dates coming up and will have to go back, xanax is the only thing that complty gets rid of it for a short time tho unfortunitly, if you tell your dr you have an job interveiw and your worried you will have an axiety attack they will perscribe it to you, you just cant tell them you always have constant anxiety which is what i have to but it really helps when you need to leave the house n go to somwher you might think an attack will happen
|

replied April 4th, 2012
You're not alone. Im a guy. Just turned 17. And this has been destroying every aspect of my life for the past year. I hesitate to do anything with anyone in fear of the bright...BRIGHT...red color my face turns and the heat that goes along with it. It's not even just that though. Once its begun, I can't think or focus or have a conversation. It is truely awful. I thank God everyday for the things I have but this condition is so debilitating...it's difficult to be optimistic. I've dropped out of school and had to enroll in online classes. I cant get a job because everytime I score an interview, I end up getting asked "whats wrong with me". Im convinced they dont hire me because of it.

Im on 100 mg doxycycline twice a day for perioral dermatitis and I have orthostatic hypertension. I dont know if this info helps anyone at all but I know how fruaterating it is looking for an answer or cure and NO ONE having one.

Ive always been so outgoing and social and fun. This has ruined me.
|

replied September 1st, 2005
Experienced User
I too get flushes. My face and neck gets all red and people often comment. It can be embaressing. I normally ask others "is it hot in here" sometimes I get a yes but most times it is a no!

Can come out of no where, I don't stress over it anymore. Normally it goes away within 30 minutes or so.
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
I have just printed off this manual and started using it.

Has it helped you?
|

replied December 12th, 2005
Experienced User
I have started using it when I feel a little anxious, the only thing is the manaul says to use it on one thing at a time, when I have anxiety I can be feeling 10 differant things at once. So can I just say the affirmation and use anxiety as my key word?
|

replied April 20th, 2009
So I am not alone...
I am asked EVERY SINGLE DAY why my face is so red. (which makes me even redder) They ask if I have been in the sun. Actually it is my entire head and down my neck. My blood pressure is always OK when I check it when I am red. My red/hot flashes can come in an instant and be gone just as quick. It usually happens when I am stressed or put on the spot. I do have social anxiety and am trying to deal with that. If I get even slightly embarrassed, which happens constantly, I am as red as a beet. I can actually feel the heat on my face. I thought I was alone with this for so long. I do not wish this on anyone, but it is a relief to know that somebody else experiences this.
|

replied December 23rd, 2011
I think anyone with a social disorder plus a large amount of stress could have this problem. I was born with it. If I got embarrassed, my face turned red. If someone noticed and said something, it turned bright red. My face gets red hot and feels like it's on fire/stings/burns. My doctor put me on .25MG of Zanax as needed.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2012
i have never been diagnosed by a doctor but i feel like that is what happens to me because every time i feel like i am in the spot light or feel the slights bit stressed my face gets beat red and gets extremely hot sometimes my heart has a tendency to race really quickly to were my chest hurts a little i don't know what that could mean but i know that it happens and it sucks.
|

replied May 12th, 2009
Too much Niacin
My condition is caused by triglyceride lowering medications. I am still trying to "desensitize" my system so I can start back on my meds. The problem arose when my doctor Prescribed a new medication. This condition developed almost immediately, so they stopped the new meds and put me back on the old one (had been taking for approx. 8 years). Now I am having the same reaction to the old meds as well. If anyone has a cure for this please advise! My cheeks and ears feel like they are going to combust at any moment and the hot blotchy appearance is on my back and arms as well.
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Cyprofloxacin
My daily redness and ringing ears are the result of being prescribed ciprofloxacin. One and half years later, and my condition continues to worsen.
|

replied August 16th, 2009
this also happens to me very easily and unexpectedly, but it's not constant. but i find it very sexy when a girl gets like that =P
no reason to act like you're a monster.
|

replied August 24th, 2009
Is this a niacin flush?
I had some sort of flushing incident last night I think. My neck felt like it was on fire and stingy kind of. I got dizzy, felt a lot of indegestion, my heart was beating fast and I had a panic attack from it. I also felt like I needed to use the restroom and could not. Then even though my neck felt like it was on fire the rest of me felt cold like I had a fever or something. Like chills. I was shaky too. This lasted for quite a while, over 2-3 hours and I could not sleep. Every time I went to lie down I felt worse. I finally checked my blood sugar around 4:00 am and it was 77 and ate a EAS bar with vitamins in it that raised my blood sugar up pretty quickly to around 93 and the shakiness started going away but the rest did not for another half hour or so. Then today my friend at work asks me if I've been taking niacin. I just started taking vitamins this weekend and took two in one day on Saturday but yesterday only took one. It has a low dose of niacin, about 50% of what is normal consumption for a day and ate 2 EAS bars which have about 20% each for a day along with whatever food I ate yesterday which wasn't a ton but some.
So my question is... Does this sound like a niacin flush and I still have indegestion today and it feels like it could start again with the neck burning thing but not sure. Can a small dose of niacin added to your daily supplements get this bad of a reaction? I'm not kidding I thought I might be a goner for a little bit and kept my cell phone in my hand while I panicked.

Thanks,
Karen
|

replied September 11th, 2009
Naicin flush
@basicangel. Thanks for your posting. It helped me to figure out what was causing my face to flush. Wish there was more info about Niacin(vitamin B6) causing this reacting. This happen to me every day for four months and the flushing was so intense burned my skin, so my face became dark. It's slowly clearing up. Who would have thought my multi vitamin was doing this? My doctor's didn't even have an answer. I was starting to think I was going crazy or I was dying.

Thanks Again
Mel
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Hot face/ears
I have had a hot face and hot ears and a hot neck and could not figure out what was causing it. Trying to think about what I ate today, had a Monster energy drink before work and did have to deal with a lady who had a seizure at work and was worried about my bosses. Wondering if its Anxiety? I have had this problem before, and alot of times stomach pain comes with it sometimes an indigestion type feeling.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
permenopause
well I get flushed all the time my periods are acting weird they use to be in the beginning of the month now they arent coming till the end of the month im only 39 my periods are heavy then light my neck is always feeling like its on fire can someone help me thanks and my face my cheeks are always red and on fire and my stomach dont know what to do i just found out i have high blood pressure
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Re: Hot face/ears
Curiousone2995 wrote:
I have had a hot face and hot ears and a hot neck and could not figure out what was causing it. Trying to think about what I ate today, had a Monster energy drink before work and did have to deal with a lady who had a seizure at work and was worried about my bosses. Wondering if its Anxiety? I have had this problem before, and alot of times stomach pain comes with it sometimes an indigestion type feeling.
i have stomach pain alot i get real sharp pains where my overies are and my bladder
|

In a certain perspective, it does sound like anxiety. Although in order for it to be classified as a disorder, you need make several assessments like: 1. How often does this happen/Is there a certain stimuli that caused it? 2. Are you under stress? Stress affects us in many ways. One way is to affect our gastrointestinal system, resulting in indigestion, cramp-like sensations, etc. 3. What are your other symptoms besides the hot/flushing sensation? Also, caffeinated beverages are powerful stimulants. They greatly affect the Central Nervous System, resulting in a great "fight or flight" response, as compared to the lack of said stimulants.

Bottom line: Be observant of your feelings/symptoms. It is important to determine whether there is a chance that the symptoms are psychosomatic (triggered by the mind) or conventionally physical (caused by an abnormality in the normal regulation of the body). Visiting the doctor may hurt the bank, but it is important to consult a healthcare professional in order to thoroughly rule out more serious complications.
|

replied February 7th, 2010
Oh my gosh Its not just me im a 22 year old female and I am so stressed out because of my face just out of nowhere it feels like its about to burn off then I stress about it so much because my face feels so hot it causes me to have headaches sometimes I also have acne the past couple of years I dont know if it could be caused by my red face or not its almost like hot flashes but I know im much too young to have that I used to take xanax for my nerves I sometimes wonder if they could have gave me worse anxiety and that causes my face to burn but I wish I could find a cure I know I have anxiety but my face feeling like its going to burn just makes it worse and I can not keep dealing with it its bad
|

1. Try relaxation techniques.
2. Exercise to vent those excess "fight or flight" responses (example: extreme blushing, hot sensations)
3. Eat a balanced meal.
4. As much as possible, eliminate stress; if such things cannot be eliminated, try a different approach to stressful circumstances. Example: Instead of stressing out (which will eventually lead to turning redder) when someone acknowledges that you are blushing, try breathing deeply, eliminate the thoughts of being a naked cake in a stage, and laugh it off. The aforementioned may be childish, yes, but these little details are crucial--just how crucial every single anomaly is during an anxiety/panic attack.
|

replied October 4th, 2012
How Can I Help Stop It, without make-up?
I am 17 and I'm Hot Natured..My cheeks get extremely red from normal heat or just out of no where.. I've been picked on and heard many taunts from others since middle school.. I wish I knew how to stop it or even prevent it. I don't think I have anxiety, but I do notice that my face, when red, is hot to the touch.. If there are any proven ways to prevent or stop it..please let me know.. I'm tired of going through this:(
|