Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Meningitis Forum

Post- Meningitis Syndrome?

Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
Anybody know anything about meningitis causing epilepsy? I am awaiting a diagnosis- my new md thinks that i've been having petit pal seizures....I have a normal mri with the exception of some lacunar infarcts- not many, but enough for her to think that i'm epileptic, I suppose. I had meningitis when I was younger...Then at age 13 came down with a very severe and mysterious virus...I had a prolonged high fever (up to 105). This was when I first experienced an onset of neurological symptoms....Went 5 years without a clear diagnosis (was misdiagnosed with fibro, chronic atypical migraines, cfids, etc...). Now i'm wondering if there is any connection between my meningitis, the mysterious virus, and epilepsy. Can anybody help me out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Just Wondering??
Did they test you for multiple sclerosis?????? A good friend of mine has ms and some of what you describe are things he has gone through!
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Meningitis can cause epilepsy my son got meningitis at 12 week old and he was left with cerebral palsy and epilepsy you can also get a clear mri with epilepsy are your seizures photosensitive related or do you get a strange smell just before an attack?

Good luck hun but yes meningitis can definetly cause epilepsy.
|
Users who thank diamond splinter for this post: ashit_sharma1995 

replied August 12th, 2010
I had Meningitis when I was fourteen along with the mumps. Last year my head started hurting and never stopped. Was told I had Psudo tumor cerbri, today I was told I did not have that. I have Post Meningitis Syndrom, I can not find any info on here abt it so if you or anyone you know has this please let me know.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
jessicarose

my son had menengitis at three years old when he was thirteen he started to have seizures left temporal lobe
|

replied July 26th, 2011
seizures and post meningitis
I am 44 and had meningitis over twenty years ago. I had a seizure while slipping into a coma when the medics arrived at my home. About four or five months later, back at home after hospital and rehab center (originally quad but was by then walking with walker), I had another seizure. Definitely meningitis connected. Was given an EEG, not MRI, to measure brain waves and was put on anti-seizure med for epileptics, can't remember the name of med, for about two years. Had no further seizures, cleared the next EEG, and have been fine ever since.
|

replied March 4th, 2012
meningitus after effects
had meningitus as a child, now 63 I have had 3 or 4 seizures each when alcohol withdrawal was involved, also lack of sleep, I also suffer from scintillating scotoma , dont know what causes it , have learned to live with it , lasts for about half hour with no headache, apparently these issues are related, not sure anyone really knows, B.
|