Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Please Help!!

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
I am scared. Yesterday, I had an urinalysis done and my doctor calls to tell me that 30 grams of glucose was found in my urine. I am scared. I have no symptoms of diabetes. Yet my mother and a few of her siblings are diabetics. I am not over weight and I excercise regularly. However I enjoy sweets. The day of the urinalysis I had had a slice of pie, which contains both carbs and simple sugar.

Today I had a fasting blood sugar done. I should have my results back monday.

Someone please tell me my cahnces.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 1st, 2005
Experienced User
Other tests will be needed to tell whats going on, diabetes runs in familys so best to establish whether you have it, often there are no symptoms
|

replied July 4th, 2005
Don't Worry So Much
I understand that you're worried about the possiblilty of having diabetes. Your chances of having it are pretty high since it runs in your family. My grandmother had type 1 diabetes and 3 of my aunts has it and so do i. It's no fun getting diagnosed with diabetes but hey, it's not the worst thing in the world to be diagnosed with. At least it isn't something fatal, it is treatable.
|

replied July 5th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi tomeshiab-
i didn't have the family history that you do, I was never overweight, and I was never a big sweets eater, yet I developed diabetes. But I am no longer diabetic. In fact my endocrinologist said when he discharged me, "i think you're cured. I'm not sure why." but I know why. It's because I adopted a strict low glycemic index diet, and because I got rid of my sleep apnea. It took about a year after resolving my sleep apnea, but now I no longer have diabetes.
|

replied July 6th, 2005
Try Other Kind of Sweets
Hi,

you must drink diet cokes and eat sugar-free candies instead. Changing life style is the first step to deal with diabetic or possible diabetic.

Watch out the carbohydrate on any food label. I think each meal should not over 30. And snack is 15 only.

As a type ii diabetic, I drink lots of bitter melon tea and it controls my blood sugar levels. I didn't know why. You should be able to acquire some in any asian supermarket.

Good luck,
|

replied July 6th, 2005
Sorry, I can't tell you your chances, but I do have some advice that I heard recently. Foods that encourage diabetes obviously include the ones with lots of sugar in, but also foods that have been processed, like white bread. Because they've been processed so much, the body creates the same amount of insulin for it, but it takes a lot less insulin to break down the food. Therefore there is some insulin left over. If you eat a lot of these processed foods (and sugary foods) then your pancreas eventually gets a bit worn out really, having to produce so much insulin, so it stops creating as much... And then you get problems.

I think. I'm not sure if I explained that very clearly... :d
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Diabetes
Hi people with diabetes,learn everyday about there illness, I have suffered with it now for the past 26years now im still learning,about it it never ends really. If you get an infection or virus like cold or flu,your sugars go wild meanning high reading,and to try and get them down to me has been so difficult. At the moment I have been on antibiotics my 3rd course to fight an infection. But for the past five weeks I just cant get my sugars under control. Ive lost 3 stones in weight on the g I diet. I live in united kingdom and im have looked now for 3 years to get some bitter melon tea I cant get it. Please if anyone can help me I would be very greatfull. Denise
|

replied March 4th, 2006
Eliminate Wheat From Diet
Whatever happens its not the end of the world.
I've had diabetes 47 years, and still here to talk about it.
Over the years i've heard for several sources, especially
from (alternative) med doctors / homeopaths
minimize or quit eating wheat products - it really jacks up
your demands for insulin. Dairy is good one to minimize too.
I have personally (experimented) with days with and without
wheat / bread in diet. Fyi - I test 6-9 times / day.
Results - wheat jacks up blood sugar and you get pretty
tired for next 3 hours, just from as little as 1-stupid slice
of orowheat bread.
If you want advice from doctors that have researched
foods vs health conditions and cures
..Read a book called eat right 4 your blood type
or at least read the reviews posted on amazon.Com
the only people who bad-mouthed this book were doctors.
This information was very helpful to me.
One other personal (suggestion) :
n.A.C. (glutothyon) 1 morn , 1 dinner will help body
deal with sugars better and other stuff.
Go online and read about glutothyon....
If you decide to get n.A.C. - get the purest one out there
by jarrow formulas.
Good luck, bill11931
good luck, bill11931
|