Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

How Do You Reduce the Appearance of Scars/ Cutting Years Ago (Page 1)

Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....
Does anyone know of any procedure,
that would help reduce the appearance, reduce scars

merderma did not work

i cut my arm years ago in one insane dumb stupid moment
i am not the same person. I am tired of my very noticable scars that look like I cut myself on purpose.

Dumb, dumb, I know.

Anyways, here I am, with constant reminders of the abusuridty

i am living at the poverty level currently and I do not have money
for skin grafts as of yet.

I wish I could rewind time...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper albertamaryann
|

replied June 25th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi
My scars aren't that old- your scars must be pretty bad if you can still see them after years. Please don't say you are dumb, it must have been a hard time for you when you did this and the greatest thing is that you have gotten over it. Anyway, I am glad you stopped because it is not worth it. I know how you feel - like rewinding time...
Well since I am still trying to find ways to hide my scars, my advice is not the greatest but I will try:

1) long sleeves- keep the scars away from the sun, it makes them darker
2) scarzone cream seems to work ok, I have just started using it
3) vitamin k cream
4) cocoa butter- only seems to work on darker skin though

i hope this has helped, hope one works for you. Take care and let me know how you are doing.

I am only a teen so I have trouble getting expensive stuff too- these aren't that expensive though.
|

replied July 13th, 2005
Experienced User
Im not sure where you live but I know its in a few countrys the brand is palmer's its called skin success fade cream it has vitamin e in it. It isn't used to take away scars but it lighens them I too had very bad scars and I used it and now there really faint.
|

replied July 20th, 2005
Experienced User
I can empathise with that. I used to cut myself, and whenever I see the scars I feel so embarrassed about what I used to do. Just wanted you to know that I can empathise. A friend of mine used to get vitamin e capsules (or was it cod liver oil) and open them up, and use the liquid inside of them, and she said it worked a treat.
|

replied August 5th, 2005
Experienced User
Question For Irsihamethyst
Does cod liver oil really work for scars? I have tons of it in my house ...Maybe I could use it. Are you sure it works ?

Thanks.
|

replied August 6th, 2005
Hi,

my scars are also a source of embarassment. It's such a dead give-away. "hi, i'm a suicide junkie, pleased to meet you!"

i tried curad scar therapy. It didn't work, but that may be because my scars are too faint already. They're still conspicuous to me, but maybe not to others. Oh, how would I know?

Hope you find a solution,

jane.
|

replied June 11th, 2006
Damn
This sucks, I have lotta scars on my arms and ankles and wrists. Yeah yeah its my own !**@! fault and I dont even think I was sane when I did that but whatever (i use to take crazy pills)..... Um, so yeah I still have these ghetto fab scars and theyre deep, and I have this amazing story I tell people when they ask abt the scars and I tell them about a car crash my sister and me were in .. (actually I was never in it , it was only my sister) its beleivable but it doesn't take a certified shrink to second guess my scars, maybe even just a local bar tender... So yeah I use long sleeve, make up and spf and hmm... Maybe one day surgery... Ha... One day when im not a poor kid
|

replied June 13th, 2006
Experienced User
I found that sun on razor blade cuts helped because not v deep ones go white so if u get a tan they go away :)

deep ones im not sure conceller maybe but thats a lot of work
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2006
Supporter
Hope to Help!
Any family dollar or dollar general store sells vitamin e capsules (cheap). Pop this capsule and rub it into the scar. Rub horizontal and vertical. Its a greasy mess, but over time, the scars will deminish. You can't even see my scar from where the crainiotomy was performed! Brain surgery! I also have a "faint scar" from the mohs surgery to remove malignant melanoma (a 7" scar), because I use vitamin e capsules on this daily. Hope this helps others!
|

replied June 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Kwl ty
|

replied June 25th, 2006
Experienced User
:d
|

replied June 25th, 2006
Experienced User
luvkittykats wrote:
:d

i have a 6inch scar on my stomach, gettin in the tanningbed helps me.
|

replied June 26th, 2006
The best thing i've ever tried on my scars was pure vitamin e. It works amazingly well, although it is really thick and greasy feeling. I had horrible scars on my legs and arms and after using vitamin e the ones on my legs are less noticeable (almost completely gone) and the ones on my arms are completely gone and only re-appear when I snap elastic bands against them (doctor-suggested remedy to help me reduce my cutting).
Hope it works for you!
Good luck.
|

replied June 26th, 2006
Scars, Scars ,scars
I still got scars from when I stopped self harming, 7 years ago, but I have learned to live with them. I have one on my forearm about an inch long and half an inch wide, it looks like my skin melted, infact you'd be right, for some insane reason, I held my arm under a hot lamp until the skin melted, I have 2 faint 3 inch scars on the other one from razor blades, and I carved the initials of a favourite hip-hop band on the underside of my elbow, ashamed of this tho I burnt it with caustic soda (forms an acid when in contact with moisture on the skin. Thankfully its now just a faint burn mark, all off them signs from a f*&ked up past. Hey if I can cope with it, theres hope for everyone else, good luck
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Im not sure that you can get rid of old scars. Ive still got scars from when ive stopped cutting two years ago and I hate them! But think about it, its a constant reminder of how stupid you were to begin with and you wont do it again. Well that is to me anyway. I know im better off not cutting, no matter how low I feel
|

replied July 29th, 2006
Well when I had cuts and scars the doctor said to go to wal mart something like that and get vitimen e capsules and break them open and put that on 2-4 times aday and that should help
|

replied August 21st, 2009
i used to self harm years ago. i had probably hundreds of cuts all over my body. i tried this scar cream specially formulated for breast cancer surgery, and it worked great and you can only see a little raised area in the right lighting. however, a few months ago in a post-breakup fit (yeah, i'm a baby) i added a dozen new scars to my forearm and thighs. i can't remember what the cream i used is called, does anyone have any idea of what it is?
|

replied December 13th, 2010
I wish you people wouldnt say that self harm is stupid it makes me feel really bad as i still do it, but im fine with what i do and even if i do regret the scars in the future it will be all part of my past and something to embrace and say look how far ive come from hating myself and feeling like i deserve it. I admit its hard to cope with people asking about them but you have to help them understand if they want to if not then ill not cut myself over it.
|

I wish you people wouldnt say that self harm is stupid it makes me feel really bad as i still do it, but im fine with what i do and even if i do regret the scars in the future it will be all part of my past and something to embrace and say look how far ive come from hating myself and feeling like i deserve it. I admit its hard to cope with people asking about them but you have to help them understand if they want to if not then ill not cut myself over it.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
Cutting
I am 44 years old and have never, ever in my life been even remotely suicidal or depressed, but due to a bad situation I have been cutting myself a little bit just to avoid doing something worse to myself. Last night I actually carved the word STUPID into my thigh so I would always remember the horrible decision I made that has caused me to be at this point in my life. I am an educated adult with financial security and enough of everything, but I am just in that much pain. It could happen to anyone. Don't judge, just try to reach out and help people when you can.
|

replied September 11th, 2012
Cutting
I am 44 years old and have never, ever in my life been even remotely suicidal or depressed, but due to a bad situation I have been cutting myself a little bit just to avoid doing something worse to myself. Last night I actually carved the word STUPID into my thigh so I would always remember the horrible decision I made that has caused me to be at this point in my life. I am an educated adult with financial security and enough of everything, but I am just in that much pain. It could happen to anyone. Don't judge, just try to reach out and help people when you can.
|

User Profile
i used to think like that too.
when I used to cut I always just thought that the scars wouldnt matter, I think i was just too upset to face it properly.Its only been so long since Ive stopped cutting but the scars are always a constant reminder.
Every time i get changed or have a shower, i find it hard to look at my arm or my legs and not think of how badly this was affecting me.I hate that this one scar on my arm is in the shape of a heart so that i couldnt ever just say it was something else and i cant get anything for them since Im only 13 and im rather ashamed of it.
But I am mostly used to them now and I know now that when I see them, I can just remember how far ive come since then and be happy with that.
good luck though
|

replied May 25th, 2011
hi i totally understand what you are going through. i have around 12 scars on my arm. i did it myself.. because of depression. i regret it and wish i could go back in time and correct my mistake. but the scars are here to stay. i have 2 keloid scars and 5 stiches and rest are visible blade cuts. i feel disgusted whenever i look at my arm. i always try to hide them. i had tried a cream and a silicon gel but nothing really happend. and now i just cant stand them so i'll be consulting a plastic surgeon soon.
i just want to say that u are not alone and i hope you get rid of your scars.
|
12 >>