Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Bad Breath (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Ok, for the last 3 years in school I have suffered from bad breath :evil: it is very depressing, and affected my social activities. I am also a very paranoid kind of person, and it doesn't help at all. Well anyway I have been trying to find out what is causing my breath so I can look more into getting a cure. But I havn't really succeeded. I brush my teeth in the morning and at night. I use a tongue scraper. Mouthwash at night time. I also started to gargle and cleanse my mouth with salt water.

Now my breath is always fine when I ask members of my family to smell my breath, nothing at all. My breath seems to feel ok when I have eaten and got things going. I don't eat breakfast, because I just dont feel hungry in the mornings. Even if I do its only a slice of toast. So then I brush my teeth. So I tested something this morning, I brushed them and my mouth felt clean and ok, I asked my brother about 30 mins later to smell my breath and it was fine. Then I got in the car to go to school, I started talking and then my sister pointed out a smell after every time I spoke. I then got into school and I could tell my mates wern't liking my breath, they were actually spitting. I felt like an idiot, and so down.

So anyway, this is about 40 minutes after brushing my teeth my mouth went bad. Could this be something in the toothpaste? Oh, it was also my first time at using new toothpaste, and not eating chewing gum. So please any suggestions to this would be so much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 22nd, 2005
Lol
I just re-read my post and I totally sound like a commercial.. I am just so excited to be free of bad breath after 10 years I want to tell everyone!!!
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
Re: Bad Breath
If you floss, this will help emensly! Flossing prevents gingavitis and gingivitis can cause bad breath. If you are flossing reguarly you can avoid this, also using mouth wash will help since most of those prevent and help gingivitis.
|

replied August 26th, 2005
Electric Toothbrush
Simple solution to an evil problem. Seriously folks, try an electric toothbrush. It worked for me after just 2 days of use . My problem was improper brushing technique that just avoided hitting certain areas around the gums and such. Im happy that my problem is totally gone yet at the same time, sad it took me so long to find the answer.

Anyway, im posting this to save you all some stress. Give it a shot. Get a hiqh quality one. Im not advertising but im just telling you the brand I opted for was the soniccare elite 7500. Its more pricey than some but hell, when you're desperate like I was (and you all know exactly what I mean) than you dont want to !**@! around with half measures. So I tried to get one of the most highly recommended ones. Anyway, my teeth are actually getting whiter which is one tell tail sign that my technique was lousy (even though I thought it was quite good) at one point I was replacing my toothbrushes twice a month. One of hte problems with my technique is that I was brushing too hard so that the bristles were falling over rather than the tips staying in contact with my teeth. The other problem is I didnt have good up and down motion and mostly side to side and that was the biggest problem. Electric toothbrushes can do that up and down motion for you faster and better than you ever could.

Trust me people. Forget all the !**@! pills, nasal drip crap, solutions, mouthwash, blah blah blah. Just brush your teeth properly and at least twice a day and with an electric toothbrush your technique will be good and the proof will be the no bad breath after a couple of days use and the whiter teeth you'll see in just 4-5 days. Trust me trust me trust me. Im ona mission to save the rest of us. Please do the same only after you've had your success. No need for people to suffer with bad breath.
|

replied August 30th, 2005
Bad Breath?
I have just noted the site for bad breath and shall have a look but I would also like to recommend that you look to what you are eating or drinking. I know that bb can be caused by not brushing correctly but it can also be caused when your mouth gets too dry or when your mouth is closed for a period of time.. Let me tell you this , my elder brother whom I love dearly used to suffer awful bb, or rather he had it and we all suffered!!!!!! I had to tell him how bad it was as it really was like shite!!! And could fell a person at 15 paces! I went thru his diet and tried various things elimination wise and eventually it was traced to blackcurrants whether they be in tea or jam form or whatever. Also coffee is bad . He cut this out and has been great for the last 20 years!!!!
|

If any one else is reading my previous post and wonders what 'health question' is supposed to mean then I shall change the intended word which obviously was not allowed to 'faeces' and hope they allow that.!!!
|

Well its nice for me that my teeth are dentures. I just need to soak it on mint tablets overnight and brush them with denture toothpaste like efferdent, polident or other denture cleaners. I dont have to worry about flossing anymore. Lol :d :d
|

replied November 26th, 2006
Bad Breath
I have been experiencing bad breath problems for about five years now. I have seen more than 10 doctors and dentists. Any time I was prescribed antibiotics, there seemed to be an improvement when I started the course but even before the antibiotics are finished, the bad breath returns. I have lost all my friends and I had to give up my job because I could no longer bear the nose-holding attitudes of those my bad breath offended. I have paid over 600 pounds recently and had my teeth cleaned by a dental hygienist, still no improvement. The smell seems to come from my head, or deep within my troat. Sometimes it smells like rotten flesh, like a septic wound but my mouth is not sore. Of late I have been experiencing some slight pains in my head around the ears. I brush my teeth as many times as desired-after every meal, first thing in the morning and just before I go to bed. I floss every day and I use end-of-the range braun toothbrush. If it is oral health, I have done enough, but the smell is still there. Now I am totally distraught and on the verge of giving up life. I need somebody to help me now. I have tried the therabreath products of dr katz and probiotics from a reputable company in new zealand, I have used all sorts of toothpastes and mouthwashes, tcp, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, tea tree oil, aloe vera, zinc tablets, but still I am not ok. I'm really fed up now. Can somebody help me!!!
|

replied November 26th, 2011
hey Kekeli don't worry i have a solution for your problem. I've experienced similar side effects when i had bb email me and good luck
|

replied September 16th, 2012
Need you help for Bad breath cure
I sufferng from bad breath :it is very depressing, and affected my social activities. I saw your post. Please, if you have a solution, help me please.
|

replied November 26th, 2011
hey Kekeli don't worry i have a solution for your problem. I've experienced similar side effects when i had bb email me and good luck
|

replied March 19th, 2007
Bad Breath
I read that changing the food you eat is the best way to deal with it. Avoiding onions and garlic and cabbage. Apparently it's related to your digestive system.

Tongue scrapers also helped me too. Good Luck! Very Happy
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Dont buy anything but baking soda. I have been living with this my whole life also until now. I discovered the problem was coming from my nose. What I do every mornng and have the freshest breath. Get a baster like turkey baster and fill it with warm water. Squirt alot of water through each nostril, you can swallow thats fine. This clears any backup of mucous in your nose where the odor is coming from. After this add baking soda to the water in the baster. and squirt in each nostril. I wouldn't swallow, but spit once the water drains in the throat. The baking soda absorbs any odor and kills any bacteria left in your nose. I am so glad my life is gonna good now. I thought I would share this info to help everyone else. If you are down or depressed about bad breath feel free and email me at dustda18 and thats aol.com. I would be happy to give you any tips I have learned over the years. Please post this on any other forum to help others!
|

replied May 23rd, 2007
Hello...
Hi, this is just a test....
|

replied July 14th, 2007
Listen!! a Cure! Finally!
Dont buy anything but baking soda. I have been living with this my whole life also until now. I discovered the problem was coming from my nose. What I do every mornng and have the freshest breath. Get a baster like turkey baster and fill it with warm water. Squirt alot of water through each nostril, you can swallow thats fine. This clears any backup of mucous in your nose where the odor is coming from. After this add baking soda to the water in the baster. and squirt in each nostril. I wouldn't swallow, but spit once the water drains in the throat. The baking soda absorbs any odor and kills any bacteria left in your nose. I am so glad my life is gonna good now. I thought I would share this info to help everyone else. If you are down or depressed about bad breath feel free to discuss here. I would be happy to give you any tips I have learned over the years.
|

replied November 12th, 2007
Ingredients Toothpaste & Mouthwash Can Make Your Breath Worse
About the toothpaste, did you know that there are ingredients in toothpaste that can make your breath worse? Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a harsh detergent found in most toothpastes that can cause canker sores. Some toothpastes have saccharin, a sugar that actually feeds the bacteria. It is good that you have stopped chewing gum, but if you do, make sure that you chew a sugar-free one sweetened with xylitol. The sugar can feed the bacteria. Also, most mouthwashes have alcohol which can actually dry your mouth. (dry mouth is the leading cause of bad breath).

What have you tried that's worked?
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Not Eating Breakfast
I suspect it may have something to do with not eating your breakfast. Do you know that many dieters also suffer from bad breath. This is because their diet lack carbohydrates.

As a result, the body utilizes the protein and fat to provide energy instead of carbohydrates such as glucose. When the stomach breaks down the fat and protein in the body, it produces a chemical called ketones which is released through the breath. Ketones does not have a very nice smell and hence your breath smells bad.

If interested, read the article:
http://www.badbreathkiller.com/food-and-dr inks/can-low-carb-diets-cause-bad-breath.h tml
|

replied December 5th, 2007
I used to not eat in the mornings either, but i do now whether i feel like it or not. then brush your teeth. i recommend using the crest silk floss or the extreme mint. that should help alot, if it doesn't call your dentist and also talk to your doctor about it.
Hope it all work out,
precious child
|

replied January 3rd, 2008
Can You Pass On Bad Breath?
I've read that you can't get bad breath from kissing. Anyone know if this is true?
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Halitosis Sufferers-Cure Bad Breath

Halitosis, breath odor, mouth odor, oral odor, foul breath, or bad breath are terms used to describe noticeably unpleasant odor exhaled in breathing and when talking. Have you ever found your self turning your face away when you talking to another person to avoid your breath detection? Is it hurting your confidence? Was there a time when you would not kiss or talk directly to your loved one in bad because of bad breath?
Great many are suffering from halitosis-personally and socially, this condition is called halitophobia, and it is estimated to be one of the most frequent reasons for seeking dental help after tooth decay and periodontal disease. Halitosis is considered to be a cosmetic issue and most insurance companies will not pay for the identification or the treatment. It�s true that tooth decay and periodontal disease might be the primary causes of the bad breath but tooth decay and periodontal disease originate from oral bacteria. Oral bacteria can be effectively combated by using Total Breath Cure on a daily basis.

Many people have tried over the counter remedies to cure their bad breath only to discover that no matter how hard they have tried their annoying bad breath is back sooner then anticipated. Majority of halitosis sufferers are under impression that they have serious internal systemic problems that the odor must be coming from their stomach or the sinuses (do not exclude this possibility seek professional advice). The fact is that in most cases 90%, bad breath originates in the mouth itself. The most unpleasant odors are arising from proteins stimulating volatile sulfur compounds (VSC's) that are trapped in the mouth. Commercialized over the counter oral rinses and toothpastes like Scope Listerine, and Crest may only temporarily mask the oral odor, in some cases make it even worse because of the detergents and alcohol used in those products.
|

replied March 9th, 2009
I have found a cure for my chronic halitosis. Chlorine dioxide is very effective, I used it twice a day and it's takes my bad breath away! (CurObreath dot com) does not contain alcohol and it iss produced with Certified Organic ingredients such as aloe Vera, tee tree, peppermint oil, and orange oil, our product can be used by children!
Consider CurObreath.com Starter Kit this will change the way you feel about your breath!
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Finally found some hope to hold on...
Hey guys.

I've been on halitosis forums for years now, and I recognize myself in many of your stories. I am 17 now, and I spent the past eight years outrageously aware of my problem, and I litterally developped a social phobia.

For the record.. I went to see a doctor today, and he LAUGHED AT MY FACE when I told him about my problem. I could'nt believe it.
|

replied October 27th, 2009
A DOCTOR REMEDY. THE WILL CURE YOUR BAD BREATH FOR SURE
1) Take it easy, relax.
2) Here's a cure from a doctor.
3) DON'T listen to anyone else on this forum about recommendation else you will get
yourself in further trouble like infection or other health problems.
4) Bad Breath is not infection.
5) The cause of Bad Breath is food particles being stuck between your mouth and tonsils
over time it builds up bacteria. It's ok, there not many doctors or dentist knows,
only the very smart one. Like from UC San Francisco or UC Berkeley
6) Put 1 tablespoon of salt in a cup of water fill it with water. Gargle 3 times. The normal type of gargle
that you do when you want to get in back of your mouth. DON'T drink the salt water.
7) Then drink a cup of water.
Cool Do this in the morning, after you eat, and at night
9) Do this for 2 weeks, you're see result.

THERE I HELPED YOU because I WAS HELPED.
HOPE THAT HELPS YOU A WHOLE LOT. SAY thanks to me
|
12 >>
Quick Reply