Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Fertile Vs. Ovulation

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
My husband and I are trying to have a baby. And I have a quick question. Which comes first, being fertile or ovulation? I always thought that you would ovulate first then be fertile? But this celander I printed of when is my best time to concieve, and now i'm confused. It says the following:

6/15/05 - a little bit fertile
6/16/05 - fertile
6/17/05 - very fertile
6/18/05 - time to ovulate

so when is the best time to have sexual intercourse? On the very fertile day, isn't it? But then what does the "time to ovulate" mean?

A little confused? Thanks, for helping me understand!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 20th, 2005
Hello, I know how confusing this can but but here is how it goes: day 16 your chances of getting pregnant are low. Day 17 your chances are higher but not at the greatest. Day 18 your chances are high. And day 18 is your best chance of becoming pregnant. The reason it is wrote out this way is because sperm can live in a woman for on average up to 3 days but sometimes even longer. The best rule of thumb is to have sex on the day of ovulation. That is when the egg is released and that would be the best chance to conceive. Also just something I read recently is that if you want to make your husbands sperm a bit more active, have him to drink a cup of coffee or another high caffeine drink about 30 minutes for you have sex. Good luck!!
|

replied June 20th, 2005
Thanks, christina06. Well, I don't know if it hurts or increases my chances, but my husband and I have had sex everyday for the past week. It's been fun! :d

i'm hoping that this month is the lucky month. If it doesn't work then I just recently bought the ovulation tests. I'm hoping that I become pregnant this year - it's our dream to have a family.

Thank you for your support and words. I think I understand better now - and hope that this is the month it happens!

Thanks!
|

replied May 24th, 2013
I started my period may 12 and had sex with my boyfriend may 18 and 19 I'm currently fertile and had sex again on may 23rd but my ovulation day isn't for another 2 day is it still possible i could get pregnant... Please help
|

replied May 24th, 2013
I started my period may 12 and had sex with my boyfriend may 18 and 19 I'm currently fertile and had sex again on may 23rd but my ovulation day isn't for another 2 day is it still possible i could get pregnant... Please help
|