Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

My Vagina Stinks! (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi guys I was wondering what I could do to make my 'down there' smell a lot better. I really really need something to take the smell away! I am a very clean girl. I shower often and have good hygiene. Its just my natural smell that I really do not like...You know, my natural 'juice' I guess...I know that sounds gross....And showering that area does not work! I try to eat healty and drink lots of water but nothing seems to work. The smell is also very stronge especially after my period. Its so gross. I can smell it even when I take out my tampon. Ewww....Sorry for this grossness. But its women stuff....Im always afraid of trying douches because I hear you can get really bad infections or something. Does douching really work? What are the best ones? Any other options? I dont even know much about douching or how to use it!!!

Please please help. Especially from females who know how to make their 'down there' smell nice! Please help!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper justagirl420
|

replied June 15th, 2005
Experienced User
Ob/gyn
Go to the doc. You need to be checked for an infection. You don't say if you're sexually active, but even if not, there are a lot of things that can cause this. It is from an excessive amount of bacterium, which can even be hormonally caused. You need to have a culture and/or pap smear done to find out which bacteria is causing the smell. R u on any medications? Some oral meds have a negative effect on your immune system and may be allowing bacteria to grow out of check.
As a last thought, it may help if you try to keep your vagina, inside and out, dryer by using a tampon. Just remember that you prob. Should change it every 3 - 4 hours.
I say to keep it dry as bacteria needs moisture, and most all foul odors are a bi-product of bacterial growth.
|

replied November 1st, 2011
sometimes its normal, i go to the pharmacy store , and its this sensitive skin body wash , that helps your vagina smell alot better , it works on me to , after i get done having sexual entercourse with my husbad (for eexample) ijust go take a shower , after you get done , ell gurantee smell fresher ! Smile ! its called summer's eve .
|

replied August 1st, 2012
giggle giggle Rolling Eyes It's Very normal ! EVERY Vagina HAVE A SMELL ! and You have to bathe regular Douching isn't gonna HELP YOU it's ONLY GONNA FLUSH THAT SCENT AWAY FOR 12 MINUTES ! I USED SOAP AND WARM WATER AND IT WORKS NOW I FEEL BETTER AND IT SMELLS BETTER NOW I DON'T HAVE TO KEEP PUSHING BOYFRIEND AWAY EVERYTIME WE TOUCH THANK YOU , YOU GUYS
|

replied February 6th, 2013
i checked out that product just now, deff next time ill go, ill get it
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Vagina
You could try, at night letting your vagina breathe and not wear panties
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
To be honest, As silly as it sounds i heard that drinkinq pinapple juice and eating lots of fruit works. I have the exact same problem.
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
eatig fruit is so true (pineapple,watermelon,etc) in fact when my wife eats fruit (especially pineapple) i love to give her oral sex !!!
|

replied July 19th, 2013
OMG, whatever you do, do not use a tampon if you aren't on your period. That is the worst advise ever. It is dangerous and will only make it worse. Only take advise from a healthcare professional. Everyone here means well but not all advise is good advise. Remember some of the women here maybe young and inexperienced. Good luck. BTW, for those of us who are adults, our natural scent is loved by men it triggers sexual excitement. They aren't turned on by a flower scent so be proud as long as you're clean and healthy.
|

replied June 15th, 2005
I have that same problem. I bath reguraly and even after I just get done bathing I have that smell. If I leak urine I have that smell. What could be the problem?
|

replied April 8th, 2011
Odor
I suggest buying PROBIOTICS located in your vitamin section of your local grocery store or Walmart. One a day helps the natural flora and reduces/removes all oders down below.
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
Using unscented baby wipes after each use in the bathroom is a lifesaver!
|

replied June 16th, 2005
Doc
Just like the above says...Go to the doctor! It's normal to smell a little funny after your period, if the smell like foul or just smelly? I really think you should go to the doctor it's your best bet.
|

replied June 16th, 2005
Don't douche, douches was designed to do what your body already does naturally. However, in using douches your pushing back bacteria further inside you increasing chance of infection.
|

replied June 16th, 2005
Experienced User
I havent had sex in a looooooooooong time so I know it isnt that. Ive gone to the docs several times, got pap done and everything but docs say everything is ok. No infection. I even took urine samples and its ok also.

I just think it is my natural smell and that is why I was considering douching or is there anything that I can do to make the smell more pleasureable?? Is there any other products out there that I can use? Something more natural?
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Vagina stinks
You need wipe it from front to back, not from back to front. Wash more often and purchase a bidet and sit in it 2 times daily. Spray your vagina with FDS. Women must keep their motor cleaner than a mans, it's anatomy dear.
Good luck.
|

replied December 29th, 2011
FDS DOES NOT WORK IT CREATES A STRONGER RISK OF GETTIN INFECTION. SAME GOES FOR BODY WASHES SPRAYING PERFUMES DWN THERE ALL TYPES OF THINGS... THE WRONG UNDERWEAR.. ITS A BIG RESPONSIBILITY..
|

replied June 30th, 2012
I use the tee tree oil soap from trader joes (but you can probably find it at any health store like whole foods). I don't douche at all, I just wash my private areas with that soap because tee tree has an antibacterial characteristic to it. I ran out of my soap, and I haven't used it in 2 weeks, and I noticed that my "smell" came back. I hope this helps.
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Oh GOD YES! I am going to get some ASAP!! Does it have a specific name? Is it liquid or solid?
|

replied December 28th, 2012
Oh GOD YES! I am going to get some ASAP!! Does it have a specific name? Is it liquid or solid?
|

replied December 30th, 2012
Vagisil wash- odor protection works for me. And i hear eating pineapple helps for down there smells.

You are not alone! Theres nothing wrong with me either. But i still have a smell. Like, I have to shower everyday to keep it maintained. But like in previous posts, don't wear underwear to bed, keep it as dry as you can.
|

replied June 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Females get the bad end of the deal....We have a lot of different glands down there, and its kind of enclosed, which make it smell more, there is nothing you can really do about your own natural sent, but try washing down there..Try summers eve feminine cleansing soap, and use feminine wipes those tend to help a bit.
|

replied June 18th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
Try using baby wipes or something after you use the washroom, they might help instead of just toilet paper.
|

replied June 22nd, 2005
My dr gave me a great tip! She told me that excess moisture (we already have natural moisture) plus a little sweat and a vagina usually equals that 'not so fresh' smell. She told me that when I get out of the shower to prop my leg up and use my hair dryer!!! It kinda feels good actually! Just make sure not to burn yourself or let anyone see you! (it looks hideous!) I usually wait a few minutes and then do it again to make sure it's completely dry, but it really has worked! (and I stopped getting yeast infections after that too. Hope this helps!
|
Users who thank denali for this post: Bri159 

replied October 15th, 2012
Smell
Does it take the smell away though?
|

replied July 3rd, 2005
Try Another Doctor!
Hello, listen to me. Try another doctor. It is very hard especially since you do not douce to remove all the debrie from our monthly cycles. You possibly need a dnc which will clean the lining of your womb. This can never hurt. Also, try using baking soda or white distilled vinegar in your bath water. Not together, one or the other. This will bring the ph balance of your vagina back to normal. I try to use one or the other (depending on how I feel) each time I bathe. The vagina is self cleaning, true, but it does not mean it does not need any help. Also try using a few drop of 100% pure lavender oil in bath water, nothing else! Because lavender for some reason will not hurt if used conservatively even the most sensitive vagina-such as mine. Believe me, this helps. But as stated, see another doc preferrably a ob-gyn.
Goodluck!
|

replied June 27th, 2011
omg thank you soo much ! i have this very problem and i went to the doctor and they told me that it was just my natural smell and i was devistated !! i HATE smelling espscially down there..and i was scared to be intamite with anybody because i didnt want them telling me i stink especially if they went down on me..but im glad you were able to come to the rescue..Smile thanks !!
|

replied June 27th, 2011
omg thank you soo much ! i have this very problem and i went to the doctor and they told me that it was just my natural smell and i was devistated !! i HATE smelling espscially down there..and i was scared to be intamite with anybody because i didnt want them telling me i stink especially if they went down on me..but im glad you were able to come to the rescue..Smile thanks !!
|

replied June 27th, 2011
|

replied June 27th, 2011
|

replied June 27th, 2011
|

replied September 19th, 2012
how long does it take for your PH balance to come back if you do use baking soda or white vinegar in your bath?
|

replied October 28th, 2012
How much baking soda or vinegar do you use each time you bathe?
|

replied July 4th, 2005
Experienced User
Foods/meds
Are you taking any medicines? Are you an avid garlic/onion/asparagus eater--curry? Do you drink a lot of water? Do you wear cotton panties?
A lot of bacteria on pubes, trim them...Hmmm, interesting probl..
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Experienced User
I don't have this problem, but there are things that can help you smell better down there.

Next time you are buying tampons or what not check out that ilse there is some eve femine spray and things like that that can help you.
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Especially eHealthy
I think I smell pretty odd too! But my bf likes how I smell, so... I guess it's normal. I've thought I smelled bad ever since I hit puberty. Sounds like you're on the right track, drinking more water. Only reason I don't like doing that is because then I pee... Every hour if not more. That's not good, haha x-d good way to mess up my electrolytes.
|

replied July 27th, 2005
Umm, you can buy a creame or something. Now a days they make creames for femine smell and stuff. (i feel old saying now a days) but nonetheless get a creame, dont douche because it causes alot of problems.
|

replied August 1st, 2005
Heres another idea, though many here are good, theres this vaginal film stuff that has a scent, cant remember the name, but I see it alot at wal mart, summers eve has a powder, and I believe a spray too, dont feel bad, many women have the same problem, nobody thinks your dirty.
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Baby powder!
|

replied August 20th, 2006
Get Used to It.
Every woman on earth has their own scent. You should definitely not be ashamed of this. It isn't a problem or ailment as everyone here has made it seem. Your smell is natural and douching will not do anything but hurt you.

Here are a few links for you:
http://www.Mum.Org/vagdouch.Htm
http://www.Mum.Org/odor.Htm
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Use fenfresh I think thats what its called..
|

replied August 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Ph
When I used baking soda in my bath water, I noticed that everything was a whole lot fresher.

I also use ph balanced soap. You might want to try a specialized soap like very private and a topical treatment like rephresh. Both available from drugstore.Com. I don't see these products in the local drugstores. Maybe yours will have them.

I use the healing garden wild honey body wash all over b/c it's ph balanced, organic and b/c honey kills bacteria.
|
Users who thank msminnamouse for this post: meme6 

replied August 27th, 2006
Re: Ph
msminnamouse wrote:
when I used baking soda in my bath water, I noticed that everything was a whole lot fresher.

I also use ph balanced soap. You might want to try a specialized soap like very private and a topical treatment like rephresh. Both available from drugstore.Com. I don't see these products in the local drugstores. Maybe yours will have them.

I use the healing garden wild honey body wash all over b/c it's ph balanced, organic and b/c honey kills bacteria.

how much did you use in the tub?
|

replied October 8th, 2011
this works
There is something call (duh-tall) it worked for one of my female friends but it burns
|
Quick Reply