Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

sharp shooting pain - collar bone (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Okay here's the deal. Please let me know if any of you have heard of this. Here are my symptoms:

all of a sudden I get a sharp shooting pain almost as if someone has stabbed me. Lately this pain has been on the left side of my collar bone. It comes and lasts for a few seconds (but enough to make me stop what I am doing close my eyes and almost cry in pain) then it leaves as quickly as it has started. Sometimes I can go hours or even days without feeling it again but on the other hand it can happen 1-5 times in a row and bring me to my knees. My husband looks at me with this weird look of his face and says "what the heck is wrong with you?" to be honest I have no clue!! In the past I have had these "pains" in my hands and rib cage. Lately it has really been affecting my collar bone. Does anyone have a clue to what this might be? Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CanadianCat
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Same Pain
Hi Traci -

Did you ever find out what was causing the pain in your collar bone? I'm having the same exact pains. They've been coming and going for the last week or so. Please get back to me. Thanks!
|

replied May 28th, 2009
stabbing pain
I've had the same type of shooting pains for probably greater than 10-15 years also. I describe it the same way as you..."can bring me to my knees". An episode of them can happen once or twice a month, 2-3 stabs happen within a 5 minute time frame, then disappear for another month or so. I mentioned it to my MD once, but he just said he "didn't think it was anything to worry about"...& it must not be because I've had them for an awful long time. I sure would like to know what causes them tho'.
|

replied June 27th, 2012
Collarbone Pain
I have the same exact pains too. Does anyone know what is causing this?
|

replied July 1st, 2009
same pain
Same pain - started a week ago, just stabbing collar bone on left side - can't believe this question has been open since 2003 and no one has ideas, must be the wrong site to get info at..... going to WebMD

PC MD (Tom)
|

replied July 28th, 2009
My collar bone is sooo sore!
I have been experiencing the same pain, however I'm never doing anything to suggest strain or pulling of a muscle. I tried to write while I had it today and found it extremley difficult. My collar bone pains spread across my shoulder sometimes, and today i felt a sharp pain in my back, then later today, my neck. It all seems to be around the same area, but I have not done anything to suggest the pulling of a muscle etc. It is the same as above and sometimes brings me to my knees. I found myself nearly screaming today. Please help?!
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Hmm... I've had the same sudden, stabbing pain in my left collarbone since I was about 12, I'm now 30. It happens very rarely, about if not more than once a month, but always in the same place, and always very painful. As soon as I feel it I take a very very deep breath which I find relieves the pain somewhat as it passes. I'd love to know though what is causing this.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Have you ever found out what is causing this as my problem is very similar to yours.
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Hi Ryan, Traci, MMW, Majr Tom, Jessica, and emef,

There is certainly a name for what you all are experiencing and any doctor that tell you not to worry about it should be ashamned. It is certainly something to worry about. Although, I don't have the answer as to what it is...however, try doing a search by typing in pain in collar bone and see what comes up. Someone, somewhere know the name of this pain and has an answer for you. Don't give up as you can see you are not along here. You may also want to contact a chiropractor, certainly couldnn't hurt right. Hope this helps somewhat.

Good Luck

Faded Rose
|

replied August 23rd, 2009
emeffeff: did you go to the doctor and find out what this is?? The SAME exact thing happened to me for the first time yesterday...it hurt so pain a started to cry, sweat and my husband said I looked flushed...as quickly as it hit me it was gone. I was so scared I thought I was having a stroke or some sort of heart attack?? Even today I feel "ODD"? I was out in the heat for several hours yesterday and contributed it to that??? Any help or should i just go to the ER??
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
i've had the same pain for as long as i can remember and i'm 37 now. feels like someone is taking a foot long needle and jabbing it into my left collarbone. I can't for the life of me figure out the trigger but it literally stops me in my tracks and makes me want to scream in pain but then just as quickly, it disappears. even rarer (thank God) i'll get the same pain in my chest on left side. Please, anyone have an answer????
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2009
anyone have heartburn with those symptoms by chance?
|

replied October 24th, 2009
i just experianced the same sharp more like shoking pain in my left collarbone. The pain was so extreme that it made me blackout for a second (good thing i was sitting on a couch). I am pretty worried right now because i am pregnant and i am worried that it could hurt the baby. Also i have been having sharp pain in both of my ribs a few times a month and its been going on for awhile now. I went to the doctor and got a full body scan and they found nothing so it pretty much such.
|

replied November 4th, 2009
I also have sharp, stabbing pains in my left collar bone. They are not associated with physical exertion, but they are painful enough to take away my breath. I must also stop everything I'm doing because the pain is so intense. It usually only lasts about 30 seconds, but it certainly gets my attention.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Pain above collarbone
do people respond to these messages becasuse i'm having the exact same thing. Been happening since i was 12, i'm 25 now. doctors said it might be a pinched nerve. It feels like a nerve that goes haywire. It a bad stabbing pain that comes on suddenly, lasts a few seconds and goes away. then it comes back a couple days later. it's so bad i almost crashed my car once......

Really hope someone figures it out, if u do plz. post it.

Thanks
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Sharp, shooting pain in left shoulder blade
I TOO have this sharp, shooting pain in my left shoulder blade. I mentioned it to my GP, but he just shrugged his shoulders and acted like it was nothing too, so I tried to disregard it. But it's so upsetting everytime it happens because I think I'm also having a heart attack. It lasts several seconds and returns 3-5 more times before it's over. Please, doesn't ANYONE out there know what this is?? What are we supposed to do if our own doctor doesn't even know.
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2009
to the person who asked about heartburn...yes i have this collarbone pain and heartburn with it...it's like the gas builds up so much that it pinches a nerve or something
|

replied December 5th, 2009
I have the same pains too and find that I can't wear any necklaces anymore because they trigger the pains...like electric shocks.
|

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2009
Wow, I cant believe how many people get this. I too have had this happen, since I was very young like 10 or so, I am now 43 and it only occurs once in a while once or twice a year. I get the exact same symptoms as everyone describes here sharp stabbing pain in my left collar bone and ribs, cant take a deep breath when it happens as it hurts to breath in deep. I too think im having a heart attack, a friend sugessted it could be an anxiety attack. Why does no one know what this is? all the people writing here are getting it, but no one knows what it is. I hope soon that someone will give me an answer.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Some research on my own pain has led me to believe old scar tissue can impinge on nerve branches shooting pain just about anywhere depending on neck or arm positioning.. Bone spurs do not show on mris and cause same symptoms, at least look up thoracic outlet syndrome.. Rare but u might just have an extra cervical rib! My ortho, internal medicine, pt and physical med drs all agree pain in your collar bone is highly abnormal, they start by looking for strains, breaks or tumors, arthritis or fractures. I'm still going to ortho and the next step is a vorasic study where they do an MRI with dye. I have broken my collarbone and think the pain is simply from misaligned bone which Is impinging on the surrounding tissue. It's prob so microscopic they can't see it.
|

replied January 30th, 2010
collar bone pain
Greetings from Royal Palm Beach, Florida!!
I know that its not really helpful when I just say more of the same, but this same exact thing happened to me today for the first time, and i'm only 18! Out of nowhere, pain shoots through my arm, originating at the collar bone area and then continuing about to my elbow. When i breath deeply, cough, or laugh, I feel a sharp pain. I also have little sharp stabs just below my collar bone in the upper chest area. I'm an athlete, and I eat well and exercise often, so I'm really very worried. I have a history of migraine headaches, and heart problems run in my family, but other than that I have no other recurring kind of pain. please ask everyone and anyone you might know about it.
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2010
Gas or Precordial Catch Syndrome?
IT COULD BE GAS
Don't over look it. Especially since many of you are saying its in your ribs as well as your collar bone. Try to force out a burb and see if it gets any better or goes away quicker.

Also, it could be PRECORDIAL CATCH SYNDROME. I describe it as being like a "heart bubble". Mostly something people get in their teens then grow out of but it causes a sharp pain in ribs/collar bone/lungs (particularly on the left side) that keeps you from taking full breaths because the pain is so severe to move. It's caused by a little pinched nerve. LASTS 30 SECONDS to 1 MINUTE. Can "pop the bubble" earlier by taking huge breath. Usually keeps pain from coming back for a while. If its precordial catch its NO BIG DEAL. Not related to heart, and doesn't harm body. Hopefully precordial catch is all it is.

Good Luck!
|
Users who thank lizzhart for this post: kelcook 
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov