Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Pain Under Right Rib/constipation/hard Lumps

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello, i'm new to this site, i'm hoping for some suggestions for what ails me, i've been struggling with bowel problems for 10 years. About 2 years ago I discovered I am sensitive to gluten but I don't know if i'm a coeliac as I do not want to start eating it again for the test! After a dramatic improvement when I first began the gluten-free diet to having no symptoms at all, I am now finding that they are creeping up on me again and im starting to panic that I may end up as ill again as I was before. I know that my condition is probably stress-related but I refuse to accept that there is nothing physically wrong with me as my doctors have tried to suggest.

My symptoms currently are: pain under right rib, bruised feeling around sternum with painful lump, painful to palpate at bottom of right rib (can feel liver?) constant constipation no matter how much fruit and veg and water I consume, hard lumps (intermittent) in abdomen particularly on right side, occasional pain in area of coecum/appendix, menstrual irregularity with bad pmt :x ! Constant tiredness and fatigue, nausea.

I have tested negative in the past for gallstones (ultrasound), ulcers (gastroscopy), pancreatitis (blood tests), hepatitis (blood tests), liver dysfunction (l.F.T's)

i'm now in the position that my doctor tells me i'm just constipated and unfortunately as I suffered with bulimia in the past she has the excuse to write it off as damage due to laxative abuse. I am not satisfied with this diagnosis, I eat more fibre than your average person even with the lack of whole grains, I eat at least 8 portions of fruit and veg a day along with my 2 litres of water and little caffiene. I am not overweight although I do eat a fair amount of saturated fats I have to admit (chocoholic!) I don't agree that I should still be constipated with this diet. Also it doesn't explain my other symptoms such as pain in my sternum.

I simply don't know how to convince my doctor that I need to be tested again. I've asked for an ultrasound of my ovaries as i've found that constipation can sometimes be caused by ovarian cysts but she just wont refer me anymore (nhs). I am not neurotic, I have real symptoms but I have hit a brick wall with the medical establishment.

Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 14th, 2005
Pain In Bottom of Right Rib
I was wondering if you found out what was wrong? I also suffer with a painful lump at the bottom of my right rib.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Experienced User
I to have a lumps below my stomach. My doctor said its stool built up. They have reduced at all, so I am going back to the doctor today.
|

replied August 16th, 2005
Experienced User
I to have a lumps below my stomach. My doctor said its stool built up. They have reduced at all, so I am going back to the doctor today.
|

replied October 24th, 2007
I have got very similar if not exactly wot symptoms youve got .
my doctors kept telling me it was ibs but im dependant of movicol for the constipation ive had to take it 5 months now and still no improvement also ive recently been tested for stomach ulcers but the doctors have lost my results!
im also going to hospital this monday to see a specailist.
So far ive had no joy with previous tests done.
|