Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Swollen Feet And Hands

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
My feet have become swollen and red, sometimes a deep purple color, especially when sitting or standing still. When they are like this they hurt and skin feels tight and veins protrude. Sometimes legs bother me also by feeling as if they are asleep. Now my hands seem to be doing the same thing but not quite as red. Also this might not be related but I have noticed the back of tongue has bumps on it, I have never noticed these before. My family history includes diabetes, mom had lupus, dad lukemia any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 13th, 2005
Hi moeslucy,

my mum suffered something like this and doctors said it was fluid retention due to her heart problems. But another doctor diagnosed it as dropsy.

Also check out a condition called rsd / cprs as this also is a symptom of swollen hands and feet as my brother now seems to think that this is what my mum had.

I would push your doctor into getting it all checked out, blood tests and so on.
|

replied March 28th, 2006
Hello moeslucy,

i have the same exact symptoms you do. My feet, especially in the shower of right out of bed will become engorged with blood and they will hurt and itch and turn purple and red. At first my doctor said that it was reynaud's phenomenon, but recently I have switche doctor's and the new one is running a bunch of blood tests. He seems to think it has an underlying cause of immune deficient disorder. We;ll see when the tests come back. I'll keep you posted. Also, my feet get extremely cold and turn white, which is reynaud's syndrome. My advise is to remedy the situation when it happens. Take a seat and rest or warm your feet until they are normal again. If not you will permanently damage your toenail beds. Mine now have a slight slant to them.
|

replied March 28th, 2006
Hello moeslucy,

i have the same exact symptoms you do. My feet, especially in the shower of right out of bed will become engorged with blood and they will hurt and itch and turn purple and red. At first my doctor said that it was reynaud's phenomenon, but recently I have switche doctor's and the new one is running a bunch of blood tests. He seems to think it has an underlying cause of immune deficient disorder. We;ll see when the tests come back. I'll keep you posted. Also, my feet get extremely cold and turn white, which is reynaud's syndrome. My advise is to remedy the situation when it happens. Take a seat and rest or warm your feet until they are normal again. If not you will permanently damage your toenail beds. Mine now have a slight slant to them.
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Hi
I have the same issues and have concluded after much research that I likely have reybaud's syndrome. My feet and hands go extremely cold and turn a very white color followed by almost a black-blue when I warm them up. Often a good warm bath will relieve the symptoms and a foot/hand rub will clear the blue-black color. However,I live in a very cold climate in winter and believe that this may have been enhanced in the early stages by not wearing the protection of boots and mitts. Periodically, I also seem to retain a great deal of water in my hands and feet when my hands and feet get overheated. Drinking plenty of water, watching salt intake, exercising of the feet and hands and the occasional cool ice pack briefly applied on the swollen sites appears to help somewhat.
|