Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Lupus & Alcohol (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Hi, my name is nancy and i'm trying to find out something regarding lupus and alcohol consumption. A very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with lupus a few months ago. She has had a lot of outbreaks and has some days that are really bad. My fear is regarding the amount of alcohol she drinks. She in my opinion is a problem drinker and this I know a lot about as I am a recovering alcoholic with 3 1/2 years of sobriety. It is my belief on the little bit of research that i've done that alcohol, especially wine, which is what she drinks, causes these outbreaks to become worse? Is that so? Also, does the alcohol also contribute to worse days due to her joint pain? Her husband and I are very concerned about the drinking and both believe that the drinking is causing her more problems with the lupus? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Nantar
|

replied June 12th, 2005
Well I think she should discuss with her dr the amount she is drinking...
This could indeed make things worse if shes on meds as you do have to be careful.
Everything in modertaion I think.
|

replied June 12th, 2005
Lupus & Alcohol
Thank you chris. I agree with you about the moderation more than you know. The problem with a problem drinker is they don't know how. I don't think she's discussed this at all with her doctor and probably won't. Most of the research i've done is to let her husband know so he can help her through this. The only medication she has been given this far is the steroid cream which she doesn't like using because of the burning sensation. I read that alcohol is probably a big culprit in her breakouts especially because she drinks wine and the sulphites in wine make it worse. I've also read that diet sodas are a danger for break outs which she also drinks a lot of. If anyone has more information regarding the consumption of alcohol and diet coke, i'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again chris.

Nancy
|

replied August 4th, 2005
Hello every one my name is birdie and I got diginoesed with lupus almost a year ago. I have only had two flare up since I was diginoesed. The problem that I am having is I smoke and I drink and I want to know how that will affect me having lupus? I have done lots of reserch on the subject but I have not found anything that can help me. I don't drink all the time I am a social drinker. My boyfriend of 2yrs now has said that the fact that I drink and have lupus that I am killing myself. I depertly need some advice from someone who can give it to me. I am not on medication I choose to self medicate myself. I pray alot and leave it alone. I am also new to this site so please forgive me if I ask questions that I don't suppose to I am just looking for something that relates to drinking and lupus. Thank you

birdie :?:
|

replied July 28th, 2011
Lupus and alcohol use
I know this is an old post but how are you doing now? I was diagnosed with Lupus a little over 2 years ago and I couldnt function without my meds. I do drink a couple drinks in the evening to help me relax and sleep but thats the end of my self medicating not judging you in any way we all deal with issues differently and I used to do the same. Just worried about how you are doing.
|

replied March 10th, 2013
from my experience drink does affect you much more than it normally would especially wine as it has sulphites in which is very bad for anyone with lupus
|

replied October 7th, 2005
Alcohol
My body does react to alcohol. If I only drink a few beers I have terrible inflammations on my nose and ears the next days. I am diagnosed with dle by the way. I stopped drinking totally (not a sip) three months ago and no inflammations since. Although it may sound harsh it is actually quite a relief - dle gave me a reason to stop a nasty habit. I am working as a marketing manager in a big corporation and there is always something going on after work (drinks, dinners etc.). I am telling openly that I have an auto-immune disorder which is triggered by alcohol. No problems in social settings.
|

replied November 24th, 2005
About Drinking
I have had lupus now for a year and drinking of any sorts makes me extremely sick. It will definitely effect your liver more than a healthy person and your chances of pushing your body to its breaking point can happen much faster. I still am having flare ups and my body will not accept its self. If I were to drink it could be fatal. The point is, you cannot party or stay up late and even work out like how you used to. Your body becomes a foreign object without cause or reason. Good luck to all of you but be very careful while drinking there are cases of body's shutting down from drinking and it can be very very fatal. Moderation might be different in the drinkers eyes. My suggestion is not to drink at all. I have a hard time with it too, I bartend and nothings harder than making a drink and smelling your favorite alcohol. I wish you all a happy thanksgiving and be greatful that lupus can be controlled to some point.
Nikki
|

replied January 2nd, 2006
Re: Lupus & Alcohol
nantar wrote:
hi, my name is nancy and i'm trying to find out something regarding lupus and alcohol consumption. A very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with lupus a few months ago. She has had a lot of outbreaks and has some days that are really bad. My fear is regarding the amount of alcohol she drinks. She in my opinion is a problem drinker and this I know a lot about as I am a recovering alcoholic with 3 1/2 years of sobriety. It is my belief on the little bit of research that i've done that alcohol, especially wine, which is what she drinks, causes these outbreaks to become worse? Is that so? Also, does the alcohol also contribute to worse days due to her joint pain? Her husband and I are very concerned about the drinking and both believe that the drinking is causing her more problems with the lupus? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

hi nancy....I was recently diagnosed with sle, and when the hematologist started me on prednisone, he told me no alcohol. I don't know if it is because of the prednisone or the sle. I have not had anything alcoholic in 4 months...But since I do not drink alcohol on a regular basis, I have no problem not having any. Someone should make her md aware of the alcohol intake.
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Re: Lupus & Alcohol
blakkstarr1 wrote:
nantar wrote:
hi, my name is nancy and i'm trying to find out something regarding lupus and alcohol consumption. A very dear friend of mine was diagnosed with lupus a few months ago. She has had a lot of outbreaks and has some days that are really bad. My fear is regarding the amount of alcohol she drinks. She in my opinion is a problem drinker and this I know a lot about as I am a recovering alcoholic with 3 1/2 years of sobriety. It is my belief on the little bit of research that i've done that alcohol, especially wine, which is what she drinks, causes these outbreaks to become worse? Is that so? Also, does the alcohol also contribute to worse days due to her joint pain? Her husband and I are very concerned about the drinking and both believe that the drinking is causing her more problems with the lupus? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

hi nancy....I was recently diagnosed with sle, and when the hematologist started me on prednisone, he told me no alcohol. I don't know if it is because of the prednisone or the sle. I have not had anything alcoholic in 4 months...But since I do not drink alcohol on a regular basis, I have no problem not having any. Someone should make her md aware of the alcohol intake.

hello nancy. I have noticed in the past that with my sle I cannot drink what so ever. The rest of the week I would suffer tremendously and feel awful. It can truely effect your liver especially the meds you are on. No matter what drinking can be dangerous even to a healthy body. But to add alcohol to lupus I believe is just risking too much damage to your body. Speaking with the Dr. Is defenitly a great idea. I have now figured out the healtier you keep your body with this disease the better you will be. Common sense. Take matters into your own hands as well. Consult with a doctor. And if they are like mine they wont comment on a thing. So I have started taking vit b12 and b6 along with selenium. I have decreased my steroids to 1/4 tab of 4mg tablets every otherday. Now iam on every 3 days. You are in control of this disease. Dont allow it to control you. Drinking is a risk maybe too much of a risk. Is it really worth it. I havent drank for 6 months now. It doest bother me to a virgin daquari. Whats the point of risking your health.

|

replied January 4th, 2006
Lupus And Alcohol
I hope your friend isn't on medications, because if she is, alcohol mixes terribly with some of them, and can cause physical and mental problems as a result. If she is not, like myself, the only thing she really has to worry about is the flares. I had a brief spell over the summer in which I couldn't stop drinking. Luckily I snapped out of it quickly because my father is an alcoholic, and I did not want to go down that road! I felt terrible during that point in time. The alcohol, when not used in moderation, made my lupus flares amplified. I would not even recommend more than 1 or 2 drinks at a time even. I hope she snaps out of this just as I have for her sake and for those around her.
|

replied December 17th, 2008
Lupus and alcohol and skin
I have just recently been diagnoised with lupus. After a miss diagnosis of fibromyalgia. My gp put me on long tern anti biotics which made me feel terrible and made my skin smell like pop corn. It has not helped with the rash on my face or the acne i suffer and the many skin allergies i suffer. My gp is now suggesting anti malaria treatments and ive heard horrible stories. can anyone give me some advice and be a friend to talk to as im so unsertain and sceptical and unsure
kind regards
sarah
newcastle
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Hi, I am new to the forum. I am 33 years old and have know I have lupus for 12 years. I can not take any prescription medication. Antibiotic cause me much worse symptoms than what they are suppose to help. I have found many natural ways to help control my symptoms.
|

replied February 6th, 2009
Lupus and Alcohol
Dear Sarah
I have had lupus now for 16 years with the birth of my second child (sle)I have been on anti malarial drugs ever since, the one I am on is "plaqunil" Throught the years I have been on and off of it whenever I am off it, I get really bad flares...most of the time I winde up in the hospital. At this point even when I feel great my Dr. won't take me off the plaqunil. I have needed to take steriods a couple times and Sarah, trust me...plaqunil is far better!!
I wish you the best and stay possitive
good luck
Erika
|

replied April 21st, 2009
alcohol and lupus
I am a 37 year old male that was diagnosed with SLE 10 years ago, and type 1 diabetes 8 years ago. I work 40 to 45 hours a week, I feel tired most of the time and it seems that my body is always in a "tensed" state. The only time that I experience a relaxed normal feeling, physically and mentally -even the next day- is after a couple of drinks. I know alcohol acts as a depressent and was wondering if it does something to slow down the symptoms of autoimmune disease?
|

replied July 10th, 2009
What to expect in a liver biopsy?
I was recently diagnosed with Lupus. I have been a heavy beer consumer (wine and hard liqour were never my preference), but have not had anything to drink for over two months. I have had the fatigue, the ankle swelling, arthritis, etc. I am heading in for a liver biopsy within the next two weeks.

I hurt myself because of alcohol (it has been a rough road - - - but I am proud of myself for stopping drinking). I know it, and most certainly don't deny that I caused this on my own.

Have any of you all had a liver biopsy? If so, what should I expect? I am a tough-hearted, 40-year old woman, who needs some advice from those that have been there. I am a bit scared.....but I can face this thing head-on.

My best to you all out there dealing with this disease! I do not know what the road before me will show, but any advice would be certainly welcomed!

C~
|

replied July 26th, 2009
Liver Biopsy
Hey C,

I have lupus hepatitis and had a liver biopsy done. The biopsy isn't painful at the time because they inject you with a something that numbs the area around your liver, but my right shoulder hurt afterwards for quite sometime, they said this is normal. The whole procedure is fairly quick and you are awake, the biopsy feels a little weird because they have to put a lot of pressure, more akward then it was painful. Hope this helps.

Minelli
|

replied January 10th, 2010
Lupus and Alcohol and "Nancy"
I suffer from lupus, and I have experienced it both with and without MODERATE alcohol--with no difference. If anything, just the small relief and relaxation from all the tense, tightened, constricting joints and muscles helps me START moving better in the evening, and then I am able to actually exercise and get some of the much needed benefit of exercise--which I wouldn't otherwise. Now obviously, I am NOT advocating self-medication or use of alcohol for the sole purpose of pain relief. Nevertheless--I do know a LOT about the benefits of social and family support--or the lack thereof, as the case may be, and how that affects lupus. My feeling, Nancy, is that if this patient and "friend" were to learn you were discussing all this on the internet and counselling her husband-- all behind her back, however well-meaning it may be, she would see it as a betrayal and that she would suffer MORE from the feeling she LACKS that support. If you are concerned about her alcohol use, and you are a close friend (and I emphasize "close"--not just a nosy neighbor), then by all means discusss it with her--and if you think it's very serious, then you can have an intervention with her other concerned friends and family if that is the case--but PRIVATELY and involving her in the process rather than making her the enemy. I know that if it were I in her shoes, I would be gravely offended that someone went to an internet chat site and discussed her "problem" with total strangers and then took it upon herself to "counsel" her husband. Again, I'm sure you mean well, but until you've walked not one but 50 miles in her shoes, you should not presume to be her doctor.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Autoimmunity Is Not Your Friend
I believe family support is good but it does not solve problems deep within one's system. And if one feel self-medication is not appropriate, then do so.

Drinking to numb the pain is not helful either. Even though I don't have Lupus, the word alcohol has a negative connotation in terms of staying healthy. But here's something you all can judge for yourself.

Autoimmunity affects the nervous system, skin cells, tissue cells, and organ cells. If your liver is already affected by autoimmunity, drinking makes it worse.

So, where does doing a biopsy help in the process? Not if it is an autoimmune problem. Abstaining from alcohol improves liver recovery but not with autoimmunity.

So, while you all are waiting for a biopsy, don't forget about the est. 2.2 million who are hospitalized for adverse drug reaction and the 800,000 who lose their lives to conventional medicine each year.

Better solution is not absolutely found in prescribed drugs.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
I have been with lupus for the past year and there are some good days and some bad days.yet with medication and family support you will get better and feel good about yourself.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I have lupus. 35 yr old woman, had my liver biopsy a few yrs ago, fatty liver, i am 5''9" 250 lbs, and growing! I eat well, very well considering the majority in America today. Had a blood clot 3 yrs ago that was scary. Can''t exercise due to extreme pain in my hips, back, ankles, knees, etc. I continue to gain weight. And then there is the massive amounts of Vodka i drink every night. It takes the pain away, i can sleep, and i don''t have to have my doctor prescribe me anything. But I know it is making me gain the weight. But if I stop for a few days, I am in so much pain. What do I do?
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Hi Peakah,
After reading your story, I feel so sorry for you! It sounds like you're stuck in a bad cycle. And I wonder whether you are self medicating with alcohol anyway, which has potentially worse effects on your weight and overall health than taking prescription medication would. Unfortunately it often takes a while for meds to work, but it might be a start. And then you could lose some weight, exercise more, feel better about yourself, have less stress and reduce the impact lupus has on you life. Non weight bearing activity like swimming can help if the joints are giving you trouble too....
|

replied October 8th, 2010
peakah wrote:
I have lupus. 35 yr old woman, had my liver biopsy a few yrs ago, fatty liver, i am 5''9" 250 lbs, and growing! I eat well, very well considering the majority in America today. Had a blood clot 3 yrs ago that was scary. Can''t exercise due to extreme pain in my hips, back, ankles, knees, etc. I continue to gain weight. And then there is the massive amounts of Vodka i drink every night. It takes the pain away, i can sleep, and i don''t have to have my doctor prescribe me anything. But I know it is making me gain the weight. But if I stop for a few days, I am in so much pain. What do I do?

I am the same age as you and can totally relate. Ironically I have a glass of wine in hand to ease some of the pain. I totally understand having some alcohol to relax the body and take some of the pain away. I have been on plaquenil for the past 8 years and it has saved my life. I'm not sure if you have tried this in the past. Some people, like me, swear by it others have not had such positive results. Don't get me wrong, i still have flares, still weak and in pain. But I'm functioning.... Thinking back to the way I felt 8 years ago I will take this pain any day. However, it does take several months to kick in but it's worth it. I know it's hard but staying active whenever possible I truly believe is the best thing we can do. Hope you're feeling better.
|
12 >>