Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

High White Blood Cell For Newborn

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
My child is now 1 month 11 days. He has done his blood work and the report indicated that wbc is 18.5 (normal is 1-10).

I have checked with the doctor who examined him. He said that all newborns around this age and this result is normal. The child could have some kind of fever or flu at the time of the blood drawn. I am going to do another blood test on wbc for him this friday 10/6. But worried that it is too much for the little one.

I am very worried. Anyone input is appreciated. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kljoneswarren
|

replied February 9th, 2009
HELP
What is the cure for High WBC seen in newborn baby. .. ? What should he b eatin .. what all is needed to b done ?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2009
HIGH WHITE BLOOD COUNT
She's only 2 n a half weeks old at birth her wbc was abnormally high 2.5 but can that be right .. we stayed extra days till it went down and was discharged when it finally hit 1.4 . trhey drew blood every 4 hours for 2 days , no fever and stayed in the room with me ... her first visit with the ped , they told me nothing to come back in two months .. . so im here looking it up now ..any thing similur out there ?
|

replied February 17th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
the doctor told you that all newborns around this age and this result is normal.
so dont worry yourself, your going back to see if it has changed, and im sure the doctor will tell you what to do next.
he could just had a little cold or something.
if it were very very serious i do not think you would be going home and waiting for your next blood test to be done.

just keep the little one warm, maybe put a hot water bottle under a blanket and place it becide him, keep him hydrated[breast milk or formula] and wait for the blood test, and go to the doctors if you feel you have to.

good luck.
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Supporter
in some cases of hight wbc, babies can have a condition called nuetropenia. this condition causes random high fevers, reoccuring infections(u.t.i,bladder,ear,sinus), &delayed growth of teeth.please have your doctor check for this
|