Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Feeling Slow :(

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I hate anxiety. It makes me feel so nervous and sick! I feel so weak and mentally slow. I know I am a smart young lady so I dont understand why I feel so slow? I can understand things well but it just takes me longer to focus on the information and what people are saying. Maby I am just sooo preoccupied by my worries and thoughts? Or maby I have attention deficit disorder? Or maby it is just a symptom of anxiety?? Anyways I feel like crap this morning with an upset stomach. I feel so nervous I just dont know what to do. So nervous and scared and that upset stomach gets worse. Im just so worried if anxiety will hold me back from my future. What if I can not tolerate the career I am studying for right now? Why am I so weak? And retarded? Well thats what people honestly think of me....Because I am so quiet...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 16th, 2005
Experienced User
People Think Im Dumb! Literally!.....but Im Not!....
Does anyone here that suffers from anxiety have a problem where they know ppl who think they are stupid because they are quiet , shy, nervous etc. ? Because I am all of the above, shy, quiet, very anxious (social anxiety) etc. And I know some ppl who know me and they think I am stupid because I can not talk or I am queit around them. Its like I get a lump in my throat that prevents me from talking to them because I am so nervous or sometimes I just have nothing to say to them. But in the end they think that I am stupid all becasue of it and when I think about it, it brings me more anxiety and depression becasue its like I have failed myslef to prove myself to them. I know I am better than what they think and one day I will prove it. But in the meantime, these are ppl that I want to make a good impresion to becasue I have interests in these ppls....Anyone gone through this experience?
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Guess what?
You've just described me. I get the exact same feeling. When i want to talk to someone i get these strange anxiety attacks they're hard to describe I feel really twitchy and it makes me want to leave the conversation. Nobodys ever called me dumb, but i have been bullied for being so quiet or getting really twitchy. I kind of think that my problem is that I over analyze things in my head...then when i go to say what i want it comes out the wrong way, or I'll mumble or something. This is really holding me back. I have heard that most people that are quiet are quiet because they're unknowledgable, i read this in a book and its been bothering me alot. I don't think im dumb i get good grades, i like to play music alot. I think something that will help is exercise(when i work out i dont feel as twitchy and you feel better about your appearance), also reading alot having a big vocabulary helps,
stay informed watch the news read the paper, try and throw yourself in uncomfortable situations(i know its hard, but i try and do it all the time, ill admit that i fail alot but you'll feel better knowing that you tried.) The other day i asked this girl i liked if she wanted to hang out... and she said yes... i was so happy, but then when we hung out it was a little awkward...chemistry over msn messenger is no good( you should get rid of that program and use the phone). Thats the best I can think of
Goodluck to you I know how it feels I've felt unimaginably awkward many times and full of anxiety that i feel chained. I'm a prisoner of my own mind.
|

replied February 6th, 2008
Experienced User
- Nods -

I get the same...espetially the thing of working stuff out in my mind but when I actually get to the talking part, the words just come out all wrong. In my mind it makes sense but when it comes out my mouth it sounds retarded.

At times when I am very nervous or anxious, my neck starts to twitch and I can't keep my head still!

Just a quick question to down123 tho... has anyone ever told you to your face that you are dumb or do you just feel like they think that of you?
|

replied December 21st, 2008
Everyone thinks I'm Slow
FINALLY I HAVE FOUND A WEB PAGE WHERE I CAN PUT MY VERY SITUATION AT HAND AND WHOM OTHER PEOPLE AND I CAN RELATE TO. I have the same problem... I think I over analyze things in my head... its like i have no common sense at all... then wen i'm ready to say something it comes out all wrong and mummbly and the person'd be like "Whaaattt??? :S"... I think i'm so sloowww... and that everyone thinks i'm an idiot or that I'm just plain dumb and don't think at all... (Thats another thing also)... Whenever I'm around ALot of people my Brain freezes up and i can't think Straight, Focus or Concentrate... then someone may ask me something and i don't even know what to say... I also get depressed about it All the time and its very painful for me to Bare... and i feel like i have no one to talk to and that i can't seem to do ANYTHING about it... i feel like i want my life to be OVER... i can't take it anymore... (IS THERE ANYONE WHO I CUD TALK TO... AS I SEE THESE POSTS HAVE BEEN WRITTEN a VERY LONG TIME AGO...) MAYBE I'M TOO LATE...
|

replied November 7th, 2009
suave i have the same feeling to..but my brian hurts when i try to think and concentrate onto something...i know how you feel..i dont know what to do either...i have tryed so many different way...i dont know if you still have this problem...if anyone has the same problem as me and suave please right down any advice..please i need your help..i dont want to live my life feeling stupid..
|

replied January 8th, 2010
same here i droped from a law degree after assault and rape against me just couldn't cope the doctors have no real help but tablets- that make you put on weight so you just get more and more down. i need a life.
|

replied June 30th, 2012
PTSD
This is post traumatic stress disorder. It bubbles up on me every now and then. I also was sexually assaulted 16 years ago. It's odd because it effects many different areas of my life. 3 years after my attack I had a really hard time in college because I felt a huge amount of stress just by passing people in the halls. Best advice, talk to people about it. it's a completely normal reaction and it's nothing to be ashamed of Smile
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
i also have all these problems, i don't know what to do anymore i just want to sit in my room all day because i feel like people outside think im slow or dumb. is this anxiety? is there treatment for that? i hate interacting with people now cause i feel the outcome will be the same whether i talk to them or not.
|

replied March 18th, 2010
it's your moment
You going to feel the same all your life so be ready.
try to find what do you like to do that you feel really good doing it. take one day of the week and do it and enjoy it like a small child without wait for aprove or something. JUST DO IT!! it's your moment
|

replied September 6th, 2013
!!!!!!
Ha I guess I'll chime in and say yes I feel the same way but it's funny because it only happens when I'm stressed out! When I'm not stressed I'm the most confident guy, I feel no anxiety, and I can do anything without fear. Stress sucks and I hate the way it makes me feel like a complete idiot! God knows what we are going through though so we just have to seek him!
|