Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Strange Hida Scan

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi there, i've posted on here a few times and I just had my hida scan done this morning. The first part of the scan was about an hour long and then I was sent out to eat a "greasy" meal, then I went back for a 3 min scan. Has anyone else on here had a hida scan like that? Everything i've read said the second part of the test was alot different from what I experienced. I'm also thinking that since it was alot shorter than they told me it would be that they probably saw nothing wrong. But I guess i'll know in a couple of days. Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lola May
|

replied June 9th, 2005
Well I guess the hida scan worked well, my infraction rate is 17%. So I guess my gallbladder not working so well. I'm just hopeing that soon this will all be over because i'm tired of being in pain and I hope that all of you still looking for answers find them soon. Take care!
|

replied March 11th, 2006
Hey! I just had a hida scan done yesterday, but much differently from yours. The nurse and tech working mine said that the way they used to do it was have the patient eat something really fatty, now they just inject you via an iv with a substance that's sort of like pre-digested food, to see how long it takes for your gallbladder to eject. Mine took about 2 hours total. Hope this helps!
|

replied March 13th, 2006
Gallbladder Hida-scan
Lemme ease your minds about hida-scans.. Unless everyones different ..I got so nervous from reading alot posts on the net about cramping/nausea/etc ,feeling dizzy.. I was just there about 1/half to 2 hours.. The night before around 10:00p.M. - 11:00p.M. I had to eat a real fatty/greasy food/foods.. Was almost gonna run to burger king near me ..But changed my mind and had some chips and an icecream pop and white castle.. Is this greasy enough? P.S. Procedure for me 2006> they put an iv in your arm (didnt hurt)< butterfly needle, then you just go under something that looks like your getting a cat scan done. Then you lay there for about 1-hour while they take pics.. You can move your head. Then after an hour they told me to take a 5 min.Break and drink a little water.. Then you go back in they set you up for about 5 mins, then they inject the cck in you(this is to see how your gallbladder handles fatty foods. (i was told) the only side effect I got was slight nausea(which was nothing, and very slight pain which was nothing again for only mins.. Gone! She said.. "ok.. 10 more mins to go..I got nervous for nothing!
|

replied April 9th, 2006
Hida Scan
The chips should be satisfactory for a "fatty meal". Other examples would be regular ice cream, whole milk, anything with butter and/or shortening in it. In other words, anything except diet foods.
However, there's no need to overdo it. One hamburger is fine. Three or four cookies will do the trick. There's no need to demolish the whole box.
A "hida scan" is one of a type of tests called nuclear medicine. It may look like a cat scan, but it is not anything like it.
|

replied August 20th, 2009
Hida scan test
I had a Hida scan done today and mine was different from most of your. First I was not to eat or drink anything after midnight. Then this morning I had to go to the hospital and they stuck an IV in my arm and put the radioactive dye in. The first part of the test was on hour long. They just watched the dye go through to my gall bladder while I was in the machine. The the second part they ran some kind of medicine in through the IV to make my gall bladder contract. That part lasted a 1/2 hour. I felt a little pain towards the middle of the test and did feel a little dizzy but nothing major.
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2009
I just got my results back today from my scan and they said it was normal. When I got there they put in an IV with a type of dye then took a picture every 5 minutes for 20 minute. She had ordered me a fatty meal of two fried eggs, two pieces of bacon homefries and two pieces of buttered toast and a small carton of whole milk. I had to eat that in eight minutes and then get back on the table and be scanned for 30 continuous minutes. The problem is that I dont normally start feeling any symptoms until at least an 1/2 hour to an hour so I was worried that they didn't do it long enough. Then when I left I noticed that I never felt sick at all, so did I even really get enough fat? If I dont have a gall bladder problem then great, but I dont want to get a normal result just because it wasn't thorough enough. Shouldn't that have been enough fat to set me off? Do you think it might be something else? I am waiting to hear back directly from my doctor but I dont know when.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
abnormal gallbladder result...
My result came out abnormal today... but mine was just like Mizdaizy's, I didn't eat or drink anything after 12midnight, my test was around 2pm the next day... I read something from WEB MD that some possible affect can cause your result abnormal is if you're allegic to morpine, whic I am and I didn't remove my jewel when laying down inside the nuclear machine thing... I don't have a problem going to talk witht eh surgeon to discuss my options... and my guess is he IS going to say to remove my gallbladder... is anyone going thru the same thing??? First I did the cleansing with olive oil/lemon juice (prior to doing the Hida scan), and passed out over 20 stones... after a few weeks later, made a foolish choice by eating sausage at a friend's house, felt the excruciating pain from that day on... and ate another not so called healthy grilled chicken sandwich, felt a little pain but it wasn't too bad... then the last straw was bland salad with balsamic vinegarett dressing and felt so sick with bad pain in between my rib cage... then wen tto the nd doctor and she sent me to get the Hida scan... now, it's abnormal and the doctor only got the verbal result over the phone from the lab tech... but so far, it's not functioning well......... and kept on insisting me to talk to the surgeon..... I want to get the test done again, and if the second time around if the result comes out the same, then I'll totally discuss it with the surgeon..... but, i do desperately need some help!!!! thank you!
|

lovelife707 i just had my gallbladder taken out today and my hidascan showed a 24.3% function. go see a surgeon and if he or she recomends taking it out then i would do it. don't let it get really bad where you can't have laproscopic. i was scared to dealth to have the surgery but sooner or later it was going to have to come out and sooner is better than later.i have factor five leiden a genetic blood clotting disorder and had to take lovenox shots and my fear was bleeding.
|

i HAD A hida scan today it is normal. Calculated nuclear medicine ejection fracion measures 56%

I have gallstones, will I continued having pain

Thanks
|

replied June 21st, 2010
Does anyone know if they pass the machine over your head whe doing the hidascan to check your gallbladder? I am claustrophobic!
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
You ly down on your back on a half tube, then a half doughnut thing is over your chest near your nose. I almost freaked out because it took about 2 hours for me and I had a tech that told me not to move at all. For some reason when the dye was injected I got light headed and my neck was convulsing. I did not like it at all but if you need to get it done do it. But I think the ultra sound is the best detector for any gallbladder problem.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
I am having mine done Friday morning at 6:30 am. I am very claustrophobic. Will they give me something to calm me down? I had to be pulled out of an MRI three time and they wouldn't do me anymore.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
Experienced User
A HIDA scan is not the same as an MRI. The scanner will typically be open, either a glorified x-ray machine or possibly a semi-enclosed scanner but with your head in the open.

Discuss your claustrophobia before you start the scan. You won't be the first! I have claustrophobia and I've had an enclosed MRI without trouble. Talking to the radiologist beforehand and just knowing there was a get-out if I needed it was enough to keep me calm.
|

replied January 21st, 2012
Hidascan
Had Hidascan today and the first part was easy, lay there while the dye runs through the liver, gallbladder and small intestines...second part with the CCK injection sucked! I was instantly nauseated beyond belief and in pain, while my stomach made all kinds of odd noises. Nausea lasted about ten minutes, pain was intermittent. Doctor called two hours later to let me know I have chronic gall bladder disease and referred me to a surgeon. I am glad to have this finally diagnosed and being resolved.
|
Quick Reply