Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

Planned Parenthood Sues the State of South Dakota (Page 1)

Http://news.Yahoo.Com/news?Tmpl=story& u=/nm/20050606/us_nm/abortion_lawsuit_dc_1

kansas city, mo. (reuters) - the pro-choice group planned parenthood filed suit on monday against south dakota officials, arguing that a new abortion law mixes ideology with medicine and requires that women considering an abortion be given false information.

The suit, filed in u.S. District court sioux falls, south dakota, names gov. Mike rounds and south dakota attorney general larry long as defendants.

It argues that a law that takes effect july 1 forces doctors to give women seeking abortions a list of statements that go beyond medical information into the realm of political and religious beliefs.

"we've never seen anything like this before," said tina smith, a planned parenthood vice president based in minnesota. "it is unusual in how far it goes into requiring physicians to be the mouthpiece for the state's ideology."

spokesmen for both the governor's office and the attorney general's office declined comment. Both rounds and long are republicans,

many states have "informed consent" laws, including one already on the books in south dakota, which typically require that women be given medical information about the gestational age of the fetus, told of risks of infection and pain and informed about alternatives to abortion, such as adoption.

But south dakota's legislature went further, passing a law requiring that doctors give or read to patients considering an abortion a statement that says "the abortion will terminate the life of a whole, separate, unique, living human being." it also warns that in having an abortion, a woman risks becoming depressed and committing suicide.

The woman must sign a statement acknowledging that she has been given this information.

Planned parenthood operates two clinics in south dakota, just one of which provides abortions.

The clash over abortion in south dakota comes as u.S. Conservatives across the country are attempting to limit abortions as part of a larger movement to more closely align state and federal laws with what they term "moral values."

indeed, on sunday, texas gov. Rick perry signed a new set of abortion restrictions into law for that state, holding the bill-signing ceremony at a christian academy.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, further evidence that when facts fail to make the pl argument, they seek to inflict lies and misrepresentations, even on clinic patients. Guess they have no morals or decency.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
I think it's better to tell them that then for pc to tell them *oh don't worry it's just a blob of cells* or *it's an insignificant piece of tissue* ...It's been told a thousand times that so called *abortion counselors* will virtually do anything to persuade a woman to have an abortion by lying to them and making abortion seem like a the more appealing choice.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Funny, I usually only see pro-lifers trying to shove their views down peoples throats.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
I never said that all people obtaining abortions were tricked...Twisting words again I see.

Really? And you have been to this clinic and you know that all of the rules are followed...Wow...Good for you. And also I never said that *this* particular clinic did that..Please show me where I did? Twisting again..Tsk, tsk. And yes some people have been swayed by counselors....But in your perfect little pc world every abortion is a wanted abortion and noone pushes anyone do anything right??

There is not a *need* for abortion...That's like saying there is a *need* for illegal drugs....It is simply in most cases, a *want*.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Thank you for the little anti-choice comment...Shows that you can't stop the namecalling. :)

and there are two wonderful pregnancy options..Parenting and adoption so therfore I am not anti-choice...If you want to call me anything you can call me anti-abortion or anti-killing for convienience.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
The choice of adoption is usually made while one is pregnant.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Pc could you please state where foreverblue called anyone a retard?
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
mom2trevor wrote:
i think it's better to tell them that then for pc to tell them *oh don't worry it's just a blob of cells* or *it's an insignificant piece of tissue* ...
medical professionals provide facts, not political platitudes. That special trait is the purvey of pl.

Quote:
it's been told a thousand times that so called *abortion counselors* will virtually do anything to persuade a woman to have an abortion by lying to them and making abortion seem like a the more appealing choice.
fascinating. "a thousand times" I guess that if a pl repeat a lie a thousand times, you would be telling us something factual. Doesn't mean that your little fiction is true, though.

Are you still so off that you wouldn't figure out that abortion is so much under attack that if the clinic in any way did not provide full disclosure, that it then wouldn't be sued. Your conspiracy ideas just shows that pl are paranoid in addition to being dishonest.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
mom2trevor wrote:
i never said that all people obtaining abortions were tricked...Twisting words again I see.
but you did state the lie that the counselors would lie to the clients to persuade them to have abortions. Why did you need to post such a lie?

Quote:
there is not a *need* for abortion...That's like saying there is a *need* for illegal drugs....It is simply in most cases, a *want*.
irrelevant. It is not your place to decide what other people need or not. That's stalinism. "go back to russia, commie pig" I believe the appropriate response used to be.

You don't get to decide what other people want.

And no, that little distraction fo yours won't detract from your lie about abortion counselors. Your lie will continue to be confronted until you retract it. Should I start telling you what I feel about liars? Do you want this tread to turn into that? Or will you retract your claim?

(see, lilblazes, I *am* trying, I am giving a chance to retract first)
|

replied June 7th, 2005
steen wrote:
mom2trevor wrote:
i never said that all people obtaining abortions were tricked...Twisting words again I see.
but you did state the lie that the counselors would lie to the clients to persuade them to have abortions. Why did you need to post such a lie?

Quote:
there is not a *need* for abortion...That's like saying there is a *need* for illegal drugs....It is simply in most cases, a *want*.
irrelevant. It is not your place to decide what other people need or not. That's stalinism. "go back to russia, commie pig" I believe the appropriate response used to be.

You don't get to decide what other people want.

And no, that little distraction fo yours won't detract from your lie about abortion counselors. Your lie will continue to be confronted until you retract it. Should I start telling you what I feel about liars? Do you want this tread to turn into that? Or will you retract your claim?

(see, lilblazes, I *am* trying, I am giving a chance to retract first)

steen--i have not lied about anything. Personal stories of so called *abortion* counselors are evidence enough for me. Can you prove that it has never happend? And russia happens to be a beautiful country and thankyou I would like to go back there again as it was very nice. Commie pig huh? Funny that comment coming from a liberal nut.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
mom2trevor wrote:
steen--i have not lied about anything. Personal stories of so called *abortion* counselors are evidence enough for me.
but they don't constitute:

"it's been told a thousand times that so called *abortion counselors* will virtually do anything to persuade a woman to have an abortion by lying to them and making abortion seem like a the more appealing choice."

so you gabbing with a few counselors is not what you claimed. Oh, yeah, and you stating "i'm prolife and want to prove how bad pc are, can you tell me about how you always mislead your clients" that sure is going to let "thousand" of counselors tell you how they lie to clients. You are full of !**@!, liar. As is expected. After jlee, mom2ty and possibly blue, you are the worst liar here (it is a toss-up between you and blue)

Quote:
can you prove that it has never happend?
ah, and you beat your child what, you can't "prove" that it never happened?

Yes, m2t, you are such a stupid person.

Quote:
and russia happens to be a beautiful country and thankyou I would like to go back there again as it was very nice. Commie pig huh? Funny that comment coming from a liberal nut.
lol, that got to be the funniest statement of the day. The irony of the reference obviously went right over your head. Hilarious.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
steen wrote:
mom2trevor wrote:
steen--i have not lied about anything. Personal stories of so called *abortion* counselors are evidence enough for me.
but they don't constitute:

"it's been told a thousand times that so called *abortion counselors* will virtually do anything to persuade a woman to have an abortion by lying to them and making abortion seem like a the more appealing choice."

so you gabbing with a few counselors is not what you claimed. Oh, yeah, and you stating "i'm prolife and want to prove how bad pc are, can you tell me about how you always mislead your clients" that sure is going to let "thousand" of counselors tell you how they lie to clients. You are full of health question, liar. As is expected. After jlee, mom2ty and possibly blue, you are the worst liar here (it is a toss-up between you and blue)

Quote:
can you prove that it has never happend?
ah, and you beat your child what, you can't "prove" that it never happened?

Yes, m2t, you are such a stupid person.

Quote:
and russia happens to be a beautiful country and thankyou I would like to go back there again as it was very nice. Commie pig huh? Funny that comment coming from a liberal nut.
lol, that got to be the funniest statement of the day. The irony of the reference obviously went right over your head. Hilarious.

but you are happy to have liars like pcforme spout forth their lies,but then she is prochoice.Scumbag,moronic hypocrite,go back to bird watching.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Rotflmao
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Steen--can you prove that all abortion counselors provide accurate information and don't sway people? I have read personal accounts from neutral sites about this situation and I will not post these stories because they do not belong to me...

And I have posted opinions...Not lies......So keep at it steen...You apparently don't get that there is a difference between the two.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
mom2trevor wrote:
steen--can you prove that all abortion counselors provide accurate information and don't sway people? I have read personal accounts from neutral sites about this situation and I will not post these stories because they do not belong to me...
i am just waiting for your evidence that thousands of counselors have done this, and that you found out through talking with them.

No? So you lied? Well, golly-gee. Why am I not surprised?

Quote:
and I have posted opinions...Not lies......
you have made multiple lying calims for many, many months, so yes you are lying. You are a stinking liar, and now the chips fall. Did you think you could lie with impunity without consequense? When you lie so much, you will be seen as a liar.
|

replied June 7th, 2005
steen wrote:
you have made multiple lying calims for many, many months, so yes you are lying. You are a stinking liar, and now the chips fall. Did you think you could lie with impunity without consequense? When you lie so much, you will be seen as a liar.

Same goes for pcforme or does it only apply to pro lifers,hypocrite
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Ah, so you are saying that several people lie, yet it is only ok to call pc on it? Yes, you sure are a hypocrite
|

replied June 7th, 2005
steen wrote:
ah, so you are saying that several people lie, yet it is only ok to call pc on it? Yes, you sure are a hypocrite

you hypocrite you are forever crying that pro choice just lets people lie,yet here you are encouraging pc for me to lie
|

replied June 7th, 2005
Extremely eHealthy
Tsk, tsk, liar. Kind of ironic that you now get all upset per a perceived lie after you spewed so many yourself, stinking lying troll.
|
12 >>