Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Bruised Sciatic Nerve? How Long to Heal? Please Help!!

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hello. I did something a bit silly last week... When I was getting in the car quickly, my lower back/bum area hit the side of the door panel on the thing that sticks out where the door latches. I knew right away that it was a major ouchie. It swelled to the size of a golf ball & turned many different colors. I knew the bruise would hurt, but I was also having tingles in my toes & down my calf/ankle area. Sitting is not good, to say the least. My husband went in for an out-patient surgery & his doctor looked at it quickly for free & told me it was a bruised/pinched sciatic nerve. He said to put ice on it & do these streches he showed me. I have been doing these & also decided yoga (i had stopped because I thought it would hurt worse) would probably help too, so I began doing that also. The swelling has went down & it is a bit better, but now I have a burning sensation in my lower back just above the bruise & also aching in my hip area on the side & over in the front of my leg. I don't know if these are related to the bruise (that would be my guess...) or if I should worry or not. It has been a week since this happened & I am worried that this pain & discomfort is going to persist. When should I worry? When should I see my doctor? Should I quit doing the yoga? Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 5th, 2005
More problems.... I am losing it! I was with my husband & had some horrible excrutiating pain. Just cramping so bad down my back butt & leg. It was horrible. The cramping let up but the burning sensation & tingling has picked up again. I don't understand. The swelling from this goose egg has subsided so I should be better, right?

The worst thing is that my husband just had surgery so I was trying to keep him from knowing how badly this has bothered me. Now (obviously) he knows because I whined like a sissy when this happened last night. It hurts so badly, but I have so much to do. I can't let this bother me. I am still doing my yoga & the exercises the Dr. Showed me. Please tell me this will go away in a day or two!! I am kinda freaking out...
|

replied June 5th, 2005
It sounds like you could have damaged some tissue or created some major irritation to the sciatic nerve. Recovery is dependent on a number of issues. Are you overweight? How is your eating habits? People hate when I ask those questions, but they are definately important. Tissue healing requires adequate nutrition to rebuild the tissue. I can't tell you how many times I see people that slow down their recovery dramatically and suffer because they have poor nutrition.

Sam visnic
back pain exercise expert
|

replied June 5th, 2005
I am probably 20 lbs overweight, I am guessing (165 lbs. At 5'8"). I probably don't have the best nutrition, but I do take my vitamins every day. I love my fruits, but not my veggies. What should I be eating? All information would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied June 5th, 2005
First of all, the standard of water is drinking half of your bodyweight in ounces of water per day. That means that a 200 lb. Man needs to drink 100 ounces of quality water per day. Bottled water is the most convenient. Evian, fiji, are the best. Secondly, eat for your metabolic type. People these days are duped by the media into thinking that eating fat is bad. Nothing can be further from the truth. Natural fats can improve your health dramatically. Avocados, almonds, cashews, and meat fats are very healthy for you. I don't have time to get into this now, but simply include some form of fat at every meal. Make sure you eat some meat at every meal as well. Always eat organic whenever possible. Lastly, I always have my clients eliminate dairy and wheat products from their diets. Most people are flat out intolerant to these products and they can create inflammation in the body due to either gastro-intestinal inflammation or food allergy responses.

I do not know what you structurally look like, but I am guessing that if you are overweight, that your abdominal muscles are shut off and your pelvis is out of alignment. Here comes some shameless marketing, but my dvd shows you how to correct faulty alignment with 4 simple stretches and exercises. You can click through on my home page.

Soft-tissue work will probably be very effective as well. Find a local neuromuscular therapist

Sam visnic nmt
back pain exercise expert
|

replied June 6th, 2005
So how long should it take to heal if I do everything right? I expect that the yoga that I have been doing every day is beneficial & I should keep doing it? I can't really afford to go to a doctor or physical therapist or anything... Will it heal on it's own? What is soft tissue work? I do drink water, but not that much. I will increase my water intake. I do eat a lot of meat already, but I will cut back on my dairy, since I eat a lot of dairy....

I will check out your website for more info. I hate this pain. I can't sit very long, & I am a graphic designer, so I have to sit in front of the computer all day. It is begining to hinder my career!!

Thanks for all your info.
|

replied June 13th, 2005
I went to the doctor today & she said I had gluteal / sciatic nerve contusion & unresolved hematoma. She said I probably hit the hip, too & that's why it was painful there also. She said to use moist warm heat 4 times a day & 800 ibuprofen 3 times a day & keep doing the exercises & yoga. Then she showed me another exercise to do (4 times a day with the others) where you stand basically with my weight on one leg & have the other hip go down. I did that exercise when I got home & boy did it hurt! Then my leg started to feel weird & heavy again. She seemed to think the heat would help (there's a lump still in there although the bruise is pretty much gone). Ugh. Hope it goes away soon. Anyone with any suggestions - please contact me.
|

replied December 19th, 2007
Bruising of the Sciatic Nerve.......
on sunday 16th december i took a knee in the right buttock during a football match... its felt a little bruised. the following tuesday my little toe on the right side felt bruised like it was broken or injured. it is still in pain now and i was wondering if anyone is aware of bruising to or around the sciatic nerve could produce the symptoms i am getting or should investigate my toe pain further.... it is bad enough to cause wlking to be uncomfortable....
similar to the injury described by the lady at the top, but a knee instead of car body work
|

replied December 22nd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello Beatlesfan,

I would recommend that you seek out a medical doctor (neurologist/spine surgeon) to obtain a second and better still a third opinion.

My physical therapist and my spinal doctor/pain management doctor have said that if an exercise or activity causes pain to STOP doing that exercise/activity. I have heard and heeded those words of advice a number of times.

May I be so forward as to ask what type of doctor you are seeing?

Stay in touch, I'm concerned about your continuing pain, AND especially the pain you get from one of the exercises.

RichT
|

replied April 15th, 2009
what kind of doctor did you visit?
|

replied April 15th, 2009
your posting in a thread that started 4 years ago the last reply was over a year ago with all respect you may get a better response if you start a new thread
|

replied April 15th, 2009
i didnt even notice. ha. i jsut googled it
and it appeared. thank you for telling me the obvious. Smile Smile
|

replied April 16th, 2009
its ok i do it to reading my post again i sound a little bossy i hope you get some good information
|

replied October 16th, 2009
badly bruised sciatic
I bruised my sciatic nerve its been three & a half months I am on my second round of injections and my foot is numb I also had two mris that did not show anything surgecial am I alway going to have this pain. No releif so far. And my buttock hurts all the time & down my right leg
|

replied February 7th, 2010
I am 21, and have Sciatica. My sciatica seemed to have been from over-use, since I was actively using my leg and back muscles for about 6 months prior. I also always had a leg-length issue, which caused one side of the pelvic bone to stick forward while the other was pushed back. In August, I jammed onto my left leg HARD to stop from hitting a little girl. That was when the pain started.
I didn't go see a doctor until December, how silly of me, but I was immediately transferred to an orthopaedic doctor. He suggested physical therapy, of which I started attending in January.
It is now February, and the pain is still there...namely, an extreme tenderness in my left buttock, burning/searing pain in the back of my thigh, and now, a tingling or gnawing sensation on the back and outer side of my calf. I also have had numbing sensations in my foot.
I am a nursing student, so I sit around a lot during lectures. This seems to irritate my piriform muscle, which is a muscle that surrounds the sciatic nerve.

Since the disuse of my body from August, my muscles are now very weak, and my piriform muscle is extremely tight.
I do exercises that stretch that muscle. I lie down on my back, bend my right leg, put my left ankle on my right knee, and push my knee towards the bottom of my feet, while slightly lifting both legs with a gait belt. This has helped relax the muscle.
I also do work on my elliptical machine, but only after I've done my stretches. I have tight hamstring muscles, so I stretch them CONSTANTLY. Like a ballet dancer, I prop my foot on the third step, and inch my shoulders toward that foot. My range of motion for my affected leg used to be 35 degrees, and now, it has gone up to about 65 to 75 degrees, on good days.

Another exercise I have is lying on the side of the bed with one leg bent on the bed and the other leg hanging off the side of the bed. This stretches the muscle on the front of the pelvic bone and helps the pain subside.

Lying on my right side (since my left is the affected side), I pull my left leg towards my back so that my heel touches my left buttock. This helps relax both front and back muscles around my pelvic bone.

As a result of these exercises, my flexibility has increased, but the pain is still there. I hope that this problem subsides soon, but my therapist says that as long as I am sitting around a lot, the pain will still be there.

I am more optimistic. I will be pain-free by this summer, and there's no um, maybe, perhaps about it.

Hope anyone who reads this benefits and/or brings a smile to your face!
Cheers!- El.
|

replied February 7th, 2010
I am 21, and have Sciatica. My sciatica seemed to have been from over-use, since I was actively using my leg and back muscles for about 6 months prior. I also always had a leg-length issue, which caused one side of the pelvic bone to stick forward while the other was pushed back. In August, I jammed onto my left leg HARD to stop from hitting a little girl. That was when the pain started.
I didn't go see a doctor until December, how silly of me, but I was immediately transferred to an orthopaedic doctor. He suggested physical therapy, of which I started attending in January.
It is now February, and the pain is still there...namely, an extreme tenderness in my left buttock, burning/searing pain in the back of my thigh, and now, a tingling or gnawing sensation on the back and outer side of my calf. I also have had numbing sensations in my foot.
I am a nursing student, so I sit around a lot during lectures. This seems to irritate my piriform muscle, which is a muscle that surrounds the sciatic nerve.

Since the disuse of my body from August, my muscles are now very weak, and my piriform muscle is extremely tight.
I do exercises that stretch that muscle. I lie down on my back, bend my right leg, put my left ankle on my right knee, and push my knee towards the bottom of my feet, while slightly lifting both legs with a gait belt. This has helped relax the muscle.
I also do work on my elliptical machine, but only after I've done my stretches. I have tight hamstring muscles, so I stretch them CONSTANTLY. Like a ballet dancer, I prop my foot on the third step, and inch my shoulders toward that foot. My range of motion for my affected leg used to be 35 degrees, and now, it has gone up to about 65 to 75 degrees, on good days.

Another exercise I have is lying on the side of the bed with one leg bent on the bed and the other leg hanging off the side of the bed. This stretches the muscle on the front of the pelvic bone and helps the pain subside.

Lying on my right side (since my left is the affected side), I pull my left leg towards my back so that my heel touches my left buttock. This helps relax both front and back muscles around my pelvic bone.

As a result of these exercises, my flexibility has increased, but the pain is still there. I hope that this problem subsides soon, but my therapist says that as long as I am sitting around a lot, the pain will still be there.

I am more optimistic. I will be pain-free by this summer, and there's no um, maybe, perhaps about it.

Hope anyone who reads this benefits and/or brings a smile to your face!
Cheers!- El.
|

replied September 17th, 2010
siatic nerve pain
I had a lumbar injection today. The pain four days ago was so intense that my wife called 911 and I was transported to the hospital where I received 6 injections before the spasms slowed down to bearable. The spasm started in my but and radiated throughout my leg. How long does it Usually take to be pain free after a steroid injection?
|

replied January 29th, 2011
SURGERY SHOULD BE THE LAST RESORT AND NEVER EVER EVER USE HEAT!
Ive often heard that surgery is "THE VERY LAST RESORT".......you want to go through for back pain and sciatica........I've had it for 2 weeks now and have found a very helpful blog ..........it has steps and tricks you can use to heal back pain naturaly...mine is going away slowly but surely.....hope this helps!.....sincerely, fellow back pain sufferer
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2011
Bruise to sciatica
I have had bruises of my ribs in the past that took 90 days to heal, or at least stop hurting, so I am assuming a bruise to the sciatic and hip area would be about the same, I hope. I am currently seeing a Chiropractor 3 times a week after being rear ended on my Motorcycle at a stop light, (lucky to be walking at all) no sissy bar but the luggage rack did hit me on the hip, coxis and sciatic bone (or whatever you call it) and knocked it and several vertabrae out of wack. If any one has had a similar incident and can tell me about it I would appreciate the input. I also suffered severe whiplash from the impact of which my Ruematologist said will either go away or not. (Not very helpful that one.) Chiropractor says he'll do what he can but it will take several months to know the maximun medical improvement. Neck is curved where it should be straight and straight where it should be curved and lumbar vertabrae are all missaligned. Seeking more knowledge. RD
|