Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Should I Break Up With Him?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi, please someone help me. My boyfriend is bipolar and he is going through a manic phase righ now. We've been toguether for 10 months and lived toguether for 8. We've been planning a trip to move to europe since we met, he waited for me patiently until I was sure about him, and talking to my family about leaving, leaving my job and selling my car. He even moved first to europe and rented an apartment and made everything confortable for me when I arrived. In the last 2 weeks he was acting pretty weird, he also started hanging out with this group of friends that he knows they use him, but that's another story. The thing is that he ended being robbed in budapest, with no passport or car now. He called me after dissapearing for a week, he told me he cheated on me and was sorry and that he loved me so much but for my own good we could't be toguether for now. He interned himself in a clinic in budapest, we can't have comunication until the doctors tell him he is ready again to face the worlds problems. Please someone help, I am dying here waiting for him to call. My family and friends say I should forget him and keep going on with my life and if he comes back I should not talk to him. But I love him and he was a really good person all this months we were toghether, I was at the hospital and that man took care of me like no one would had done, except my family of course. He said he will call when he was ready, when doctors say. What should I tell him?? Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 18th, 2005
Experienced User
Hi
I think that i'm in the same situation like you, my bf has bipolar disorder, today he told me that he doesn't know what to do toward me, he told me that he has to come to meet my father for engagement, I told him as u like... He's still studying and I know that we should wait until he finish his studies and so on, but he told me so. After word he told me the opposite thing which is he can no longer be with me coz he's feeling that he's abusing me and hurting me ( how? I don't know) anyway I wasn't shocked because i'm used to hear so from him when he's depressed, and when he's in his stable mood, he doesn't remember that he told me anything about breaking up. Anyway this time, i'm shocked from another thing, he told me that he cheated on me from a long time in the beginning of our relationship :( I don't know what to do seriously, i'm in love with him, I overcomed many things since the beginning, he hurts me a lot when in depression... I wanna continue with him, he told me that he'll never cheat on me again. ( I think he was in mania when he did it, and he's telling it to me now coz he's in depression right now, and wants ofcourse to feel guilty).
I'm totally confused really.

Can someone explain to me how and why the bipolar person cheats on the one he's loving?

Thanks
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Experienced User
They do, they really do. It is to do whith the high phase, they get ultrasexual and think nothing of cheating on the ones they love and are with.It is really a characteristic of BP especially untreated. You have to remember it is the illness.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
Experienced User
hmm this explains my boyfriend but he always seems to me manic these days he is never depressed. i dont like how hes so cold towards me all the time. he used to be so caring when he took his meds now i know he barely takes them. is this why he is always manic? he also never wants to hang out with me or talk to me even
|