Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Nuva Ring Feedback? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
If anyone here has used, or heard of someone who has used nuva ring, please post your experience. I want to know everything I can about it before I use it, and I don't believe everything the manufacturer says (they are trying to sell it, after all..). I am under 18, and live in canada, but anyone's experiences help :d thanks!!
Courtenay :)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ChrisC
|

replied May 28th, 2005
My friend used the ring. When it came time to take it out and replace it with a new one, she couldn't find it. About a week later her boyfriend told her he had taken it out without her knowledge because he could feel it and he didn't like it. Meanwhile they had been having sex all this time without any protection! Now she's scared she may be pregnant.

I personally wouldn't use it but it might be worth a try. Good luck!
|

replied May 28th, 2005
Active User, very eHealthy
I used it for about a year. I got pregnant while using it. So I don't personally recommend it but i'm sure that everyone is different and it may work great for you.

Ps...If you weight over 180 pounds it is not advised that you use the ring or the patch because they aren't as effective. Some people also say that they can feel it during sex and it makes it uncomfortable. I never had this problem though.

Hope this helps.
|

replied April 10th, 2011
If u get knocked up unknowingly while using the ring...
Hey, i am using the nuva ring aswell and i am concerned that if i unknowingly get pregnant using it and continue to use it, will the birth control harm the baby?
|

replied June 10th, 2011
It is not supposed to, no. Basically, nuvaring (and all hormonal birth controls) work by making your body think it is already pregnant, so as long as you remove it as soon as you know you are pregnant, no worries.
|
Users who thank Badbcky for this post: Kassidi 

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2011
Nuvaring and Survival of a fetus/baby?
I used Nuvaring for a little over 2 years after having my daughter, and in June found out that I was 4 1/2 months pregnant. I showed no growth or anything and had 4-6 false/negative pregnancy tests, including 3 taken at my local hospital. I went in again due to what seemed like an abnormally long period (I bled for 3 1/2 weeks) and they did a test that came up as negative for pregnancy, but within the range for a miscarriage. They had me schedule an appointment with my ob/gyn to be scraped, and before they scraped me, they did an ultrasound to see where the baby was or if he had passed through. He was still there, and I say he, because we were able to see the sex. They had me name him for paperwork purposes before scraping me, and then they told me that 10 in every 100 women get pregnant, but that some of those women are payed off so they don't get bad rep. That being said, the use of Nuvaring is what they said killed my son. If he had come to term, he would've had disabilities. Please be careful! This is not pain that anyone should have to go through.
|

replied December 13th, 2011
Nuvaring
Hi my name is Monica and I have a son that was born with disabilities. I was pregnant and didn't know it because I have a history of no periods. I went to see my obgyn and he didn't do a pregnancy test on me and perscribed me the Nuvaring. I was on it for almost two months while I was pregnant and didn't know it. My question to you is how did you find out that the Nuvaring would of or could of caused disabilities??? I've been wondering but I just have been worried. Please help!!!
|

replied December 13th, 2011
Nuvaring
Hi my name is Monica and I have a son that was born with disabilities. I was pregnant and didn't know it because I have a history of no periods. I went to see my obgyn and he didn't do a pregnancy test on me and perscribed me the Nuvaring. I was on it for almost two months while I was pregnant and didn't know it. My question to you is how did you find out that the Nuvaring would of or could of caused disabilities??? I've been wondering but I just have been worried. Please help!!!
|

replied April 28th, 2012
i have a question. When you got Pregnant using the NUVARING did you ever take it out for a few hours or so during the 3 week period?
|

replied April 28th, 2012
I was wondering, While you got pregnant using the NUVARING, i was wondering if at anytime maybe about 2 - 3 month before you found out you were pregnant, did you ever take the nuvaring out for a few hours during the 3 week period?
|

replied June 25th, 2012
Thumbs up
I've been in the ring for over a year and I love it. So easy, my body loves it, it doesn't bother my husband, I would recommend it.
|

replied May 30th, 2005
Nuva Ring
I'm sorry, I had to giggle at the thought of someone taking it out without you noticing..Hmm. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. The reason i'm considering it is because its low dose, therefore less chance of interaction with my other condition, depression..Or something like that. Anyway, any further comment is always appreaciated, and thank you!
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
I tried it, not only is it extremely expensive, it interfered with my depression. I got to the point I almost did kill myself! I wouldn't use it if you have depression.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Starting Nuva In a Week...maybe
This is my third forum searching for info about the ring. I have been on the pill (one version or another) for 8 years, spent four months on the patch a few years ago but it didn't want to stick, and no real problems overall with bc ever. I went to new gyno today and she asked if I knew about other bc options. She told me about the ring. I had some questions, and she answered them sufficiently so I said okay give me a prescription. Since leaving, talking to girlfriends, and waiting to talk to my sister (she hasn't called back), I have more questions. Some of the forums i've read are terrifying (women with migraines, spotting for weeks, nausea, weight gain), but the vast majority are positive (fuller breasts, boyfriend/husband can't feel it, you don't have to think about it, half as much hormones as the pill so less cranky/needing comfort food around time of period, shorter periods, etc). So...Still unsure of what to do. It does sound if you are prone to some things (infections, headaches, nausea) with pills, you will experience the same with any other bc (patch, ring)...I guess that wasn't much help, but some more info none the less.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
I have been on it for 2 years...
Pros: not having to remember to take pill
Not as much nausea and headaches as when on pill
Bigger boobs
Cons: expensive
Complete lack of sex drive
Complete loss of natural lubricants (aka dry vagina)
Considerable weight gain
Has come out on bf's penis like a ring toss game
Real mood killer having to stop to take it out so that bf doesn't catch it again
Easy to forget to put back in!
Increased PMS
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
I thought I was the only one with those symptoms! Thank god im not. I also have to frequently urinate since i started on it 2 years ago. But i am having a small pregnancy scare. Everyone keeps telling me its impossible to get pregnant while using it but after looking into i found out that if used incorrectly its only 30% effective.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
How horrible that he would take it out and not tell her! I would be so mad!....Anyways, i'm a nursing student and when the ring was discussed in one of my classes the professor (he is also a pharmacist) said that some women have a problem with it coming out during sex. Apparently it can get stuck around the penis and pulled out. You just have to stick it back in if that happens....But still, seems like that would be sex complicated.
|

replied May 30th, 2012
I've been using the ring for almost two years and haven't had any real issues with it. My husband has never had an issue with it coming out on him during either conventional or oral sex.
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Pregnancy
My boyfriend could definatly feel the ring while having sex, but he got over it and I left it in. Unfortunatly, I ended up pregnant. The birth control failed. It's the only one that has ever failed for me. I personally don't recommend it to anyone. My doctor said that there have been an increasing amount of birth control failures when it comes to the nuva ring. I stick to the pill now, easy and simple, you just take it everyday. Hope I helped. :lol:
|

replied August 3rd, 2005
Sex And Nuvaring
Okay I just started the nuvaring and now i'm terrified because of all the things i've read. Will my husband be able to feel it during sex?? And if he can, is it going to make sex less pleasent? Someone please hlp me out here.
|

replied June 10th, 2011
My fiancé says he feels it occasionally but it isn't in any way problematic for him, so I believe it goes on a case-by-case basis.
|

replied August 14th, 2005
I am currently using the ring, for me I think it is great. Itried the pill but I couldn't get myself on a set schedule for taking. I also did the depo shot after I had my daughter and I can verify that it makes you gain wait. I like the ring and wouls recommend it. And the whole thing about getting pregnant while on it I have had people tell me they got pregnant while they were on the shot and the pill nothing is full proof that is why we invented the condom. :d
|

replied August 21st, 2005
I just started using the nuva ring a little over a week ago, and I have been having severe depression for about 4 days now. Has anyone else had this experience?

I have a 10 week old baby, and have had some mild ppd, but these last few days have been bad.

I don't know if this is related to the ring or not, but thought i'd see...
|

replied October 9th, 2011
I have been using it for 5 months now and i have been having the same problem so i had to get a higher dose of antidepressants.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
youre not alone
My symptoms::

Depression, Anxiety, Acne, Loss of appetite, Loss of Sex Drive, Nausea

It worked great for the first three years I tried it and thought I would try using pills. Used them for about 2 months and wasn't completely satisfied as I was used to having my periods regularly and still didn't have one in the two months I was on the pill. So I decided to go back to the ring. Last week I start getting nauseous more often and irritable. This past weekend I have had atleast 3 panic attacks, feeling depressed to where I feel there is a black cloud hanging over me. I barely can eat and if I do I feel sick afterwards or get diarrhea. No sex drive what so ever which does terrors to my marriage. Needless to say I took my ring out today and will b making an appointment with my MD ASAP!
|

replied March 25th, 2012
I had my daughter 3 months ago and have been on the ring for 6 wks and I too have had. Terrible depression and I know it's not ppd cuz I didn't have it after my son. I finally said forget it and now I'm totally happy again. The nuvaring caused so much depression, mood swings, I had my period for 13 days, horrible cramps, pain during sex, I'm over it. I'll be trying something different next week!
|

replied August 28th, 2005
Depressed Me Awfully
I just took it out this afternoon after 5 days with it- during which I got increasingly anxious and depressed. I had been on and went off a stronger pill bc a few years ago for the same reason, and while nuvaring was a milder, more manageable version of depression, it was still awful.
Also, I took it out at 1 pm today and by 5 pm felt relatively normal, which I thought was bizarre and amazing. It was definitely the ring. I guess i'm just one of those women who can't do hormonal bc of any kind because nuvaring is the smallest dose bc out there.
Killed my sex drive too, so in every way it cancelled itself out for me.
|

replied August 29th, 2005
Nuva Ring And Side Effects
I have been on nuva ring for almost four years now. My results are mixed. I personally love the ring. It took my husband a little while to get used to it, but now he doesn't even notice. For me it was easier to put it in once a month instead of worrying about an everyday pill. After reading some of the replys of women who only used them for a few days or a month. It takes longer than a month for you to start feeling the effects, also it is impossible to notice a difference within one day or hours. Some of the side effects that I have experience on the ring are weight gain (uncontrollable no matter what I do), headaches, nausea, loss of sex drive, most recentlly, slight production of breast milk(and no I am not expecting). This last one kind of threw me for a loop. I have really had minimal problems for the last three years. However, recently I have experienced some weird side effects that my doctor think could be linked to my birth control. So maybe with time more side effects show up? I don't know. But for the last three years I have been really happy with it. Those of you who are worried about getting pregnant on it, most of the side effects and your risk of pregnancy are the same for almost all bc's.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
I think that it is incredibly unfortunate that you are unaware that every body is different and therefore will experience anything differently. Some people's bodies are acutely aware of changes very quickly and will have stronger, faster reactions than others- it is NOT unreasonable that this woman felt a difference in her body immediately after inserting a hormone charged device into an orifice lined with mucous membranes- these are incredibly vascular tissues and therefore have the capacity to deliver hormonal contents throughout the body very rapidly. I, too, noticed changes in my body very quickly upon using the ring; it wasn't severe, a bit of nausea, moodiness, and a general sense of wrongness all within the first few days that made me consider taking it out and telling my boyfriend it was baggies or babies, but the idea of condom-free sex lured me into waiting out the first three months, wherein the noticeable changes subsided almost entirely. It's been about eight months since I've been using it and, if you'd asked me a week ago if I was happy with it, I'd have said 'yes, in spite of having niggling concerns over using hormones in my body at all, it's been very helpful in keeping me on the slippery-er side of sex'; but then, I'm on here now, aren't I? And THAT is because, in spite of finishing a normal period two weeks ago, I've been bleeding lightly for the last five days, which has made me do a bit of wondering. In my wondering (and bringing the topic up with my boyfriend) I've pieced together that my libido has diminished a fair bit over the last year and, in spite of just getting back from a two month tropical vacation, I'm still not as nice a person as I was before I started on The Nuvaring, and I think that these changes may be related to that event. In any case, I'm going to finish with the two that I have left and then let my body go back to her natural rhythms, as she is so good at doing.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
I think that it is incredibly unfortunate that you are unaware that every body is different and therefore will experience anything differently. Some people's bodies are acutely aware of changes very quickly and will have stronger, faster reactions than others- it is NOT unreasonable that this woman felt a difference in her body immediately after inserting a hormone charged device into an orifice lined with mucous membranes- these are incredibly vascular tissues and therefore have the capacity to deliver hormonal contents throughout the body very rapidly. I, too, noticed changes in my body very quickly upon using the ring; it wasn't severe, a bit of nausea, moodiness and a general sense of wrongness all within the first few days that made me consider taking it out and telling my boyfriend it was baggies or babies, but the idea of condom-free sex lured me into waiting out the first three months, wherein the noticeable changes subsided almost entirely. It's been about eight months since I've been using it and, if you'd asked me a week ago if I was happy with it, I'd have said 'yes, in spite of having niggling concerns over using hormones in my body at all, it's been very helpful in keeping me on the slippery-er side of sex'; but then, I'm on here now, aren't I? And THAT is because, in spite of finishing a normal period two weeks ago, I've been bleeding lightly for the last five days, which has made me do a bit of wondering. In my wondering (and bringing the topic up with my boyfriend) I've pieced together that my libido has diminished a fair bit over the last year and, in spite of just getting back from a two month tropical vacation, I'm still not as nice a person as I was before I started on The Nuvaring, and I think that these changes may be related to that event. In any case, I'm going to finish with the two that I have left and then let my body go back to her natural rhythms, as she is so good at doing.
|

replied January 9th, 2012
I would normally agree that you can't feel the effects within days or hours but after my first prescription for nuvaring I felt great during my "off week" and that's while I was on my period... I got my refill and put it in at night before I went to bed. By the next night I had a severe and sudden onset of depression. I didn't want to do anything except listen to sad music and cry while my thoughts raced about every little thing. I have a history of depression but when I wasn't on hormonal birth control (had the copper iud but it kept coming out bc of a weak cervix) I had no symptoms whatsoever. I feel like I should give my body a few months to adjust but if someone is having suicidal or violent thoughts they need to take it out right away and call their doctor ASAP!!!! It may be expensive to waste but it's not worth your emotional well-being!
|

replied September 4th, 2005
Nuva Ring
Greetings!
I took the nuva ring about 3 summers ago. At first it was great. I am really bad at remembering to take pills. I was taking them for migraine headaches. I am not sexually active and had no intent to use it for that way, so if you are, talk to your partner first and discuss this issue of having something inside of you, because it could bother him. However, the first week was fine, I didn't have any problems with weight gain or larger breast; for the most part I stayed the same. I was going into week two and I started gettign incredible migraine. I got them so bad I was put in a hospital for 3 days for a variety of tests. After going through all the tests and they found everything to be negative it made the doctors scratch their heads. Well.. A few days later it was time to take the ring out and have my period. After I took it out and had a normal yet somewhat lighter period my major headaches went away and I never used it again. I seem to do really well with levlite. So just check into them. Seasonale makes you gain weight and I am noticing that now. Also your breasts get larger. I thought sesaonale woudl be nice to have a period only 4 times a year, but nope, I am moody and really feel yucky. I am a runner and I exercise all the time (6 days a week) and I am still gaining weight. Be careful and cautious of what you take and just listen to your body.
Good luck. Let me knwo what you decide.
|

replied September 13th, 2005
Ring
I have been on the ring for about 6 or 7 months now, was on the pill then the patch. I love being on the ring. However, I started getting extreme pain in my abdomen, went to see my obgyn and she told me I may be ovulating, although I shouldn't be while on birth control. After reading everyones replys I think I may be pregnant, I haven't ever missed a period, supposed to get mine on saturday, last months was really light and only about 2-3 days while usually 5-6. If I am, it's no problem, i've been marriend for a little over a year and we were actually thinking about trying. But I have been getting sick lately (nausea all the time), horrible headaches, definate mood swings, I can't ever sleep. Well I guess we will just have to wait and see.
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Acooper
I came across this post and wondered...Are you pregnant? Or did you turn out to be?

This is my story..I started the nuva ring on nov 27th the 5th day of my period..And the directions clearly say if you are starting this without having been on any form of b/c you are protected after 7 days..Well ok, I started my last period on nov22nd. This was my first cycle after having my 2nd son ethan who is 3 months old. So I ovulated!!!!!! It was around the 6th and 7th of dec. I had the ewcm mucous and I had o cramps!!!!! Well we had sex on the 6th and then on the 7th I figured out that I was indeed ovulating. I took it out that day and we had sex again! We do want another child..So it won't be that bad if I am pregnant..But why did I still ovulate? The directions said after 7 days you should be protected..Whats the deal? Now since I o'd I feel a heaviness in my uterus area...So now I am wondering..If indeed I am..............Help!

Tracie
|

replied December 10th, 2005
Experienced User
It definitely states clearly that during the first cycle, you should use a back up method! Geese, don't you people read instructions?
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Maybe before you speak you should fully read it yourself....Here's what I copied from the site..If you haven’t used a hormonal contraceptive in the past month
count the first day of your menstrual period as day 1, and insert your first nuvaring® on or before day 5 (but no later, even if you have not finished your period). During this first cycle, use an extra method of birth control, such as male condoms or spermicide, for the first seven days of nuvaring® use.

Now also here's a link to the site where you can see this yeah it says use back up for only the first 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez maybe you should read the directions before being so rude.
|

replied December 19th, 2005
Nuvaring
I've been on the ring for 6mo and I absolutely love it. Had been on depo for 1 and 1/2 yrs and went from 107lbs to 145 in that short of time. It was horrible had migraines and everything. So Dr. Put me on nuvaring and its great. Its so easy to put in and remove. Husband says he can feel it sometimes but it doesnt bother either one of us. I would highly recommend it!!!
|

replied January 20th, 2006
Nuvaring Pain
I tried the nuvaring and it made me realy sore all over the vagina area. I took it out last night and most of the pain is gone. It felt as though the new discharge I was getting was burning me.
Anyone else experience anything like this?
|

replied January 20th, 2006
Experienced User
I have been on nuvaring for 3 months now and love it. I love not having to take the pill every day. My fiance only feels it in certain positions and he did ask me to take it out because the rubbing was almost painful for him. But I never had it out for more than an hour.
I do check every couple of days to make sure it is there though...It is still new to me, having this inside me.
The only side effect I noticed was a little bit of milky discharge my first couple of weeks on the ring, but that's gone now. Also...I have no bloating or cramps anymore!!

Robindr, maybe you don't have it inserted far enough into your vagina. Just for a guideline, mine is usually in about half the length of my index finger or more. The "instructions" for the ring do say that if you experience discomfort, you may need to push it farther in.
You could also be having a reaction. I would give it another chance; if you are still experiencing discomfort after the first couple of weeks, see your doctor for something else.
|