Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

23 Years Old With Back Problems

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Sad I am 23 years old and recently found out that I have 2 bulging disks (neck and lower back) and 2 herniated disks (neck and lower back). These were recieved in a car accident that I was in about 10 months ago and are just being discovered now because no one ever bothered to do an x-ray or mri on my back until a couple of weeks ago. I never had 1 single problem with my back before this accident and now I feel like I will never be the same or be able to do the things that I love. I need advice and help. If anyone has any similar experience, please get back to me. I need all of the encouragement that I can get right now. Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2003
Roxie,
my neck and back problems aren't nearly as serious as yours, but i'll tell you what I know.
I also am young (almost 24) and I know how it feels to be in pain when you get up in the morning. I often tell people that i'm too young to feel this old! Seriously though, you can get pretty down when you should feel young and vivacious and instead feel like you need a cane. The most important thing, and I know it sounds cliche, is to keep a positive attitude about your situation. Focus on the things you can do instead of your limitations. Your life isn't over, I promise.
The next thing is the right doctor. I am assuming that you now have a competent doctor. I understand your frustration with how your case was handled at first. It was crazy to not have any x-rays done! It's important that you have a doctor that is willing to discuss all of your treatment options, not just one that tells you to pop a pill. He/she should also tell you about lifestyle changes you could make to ease your pain, such as any helpful exercises, as well as what types of physical activity to avoid. Communiate any questions or concerns to your doctor to ensure the best treatment.
I don't know if it will help in your case, but you might also want to look into alternative therapies, such as chiropractic or massage therapy. I have found this helpful. Sometimes we are afraid of what we don't know, so do a lot research and ask questions to see if it might be beneficial. (just a warning, many medical doctors will not recommend alternative medicine. Some don't feel it works, but I think others are intimidated by it.) I am by no means a doctor basher, I just think that sometimes alternative therapies can help more than prescriptions. And probably even more often i've found that the two can go hand-in-hand...Conventional medicine with alternative medicine.
I hope this helps a little. Keep your chin up, okay? Best wishes to you,
manda panda
|

replied November 28th, 2003
Experienced User
Herniated Disk, Bulding Disk
I am 33 I have bulging disks in my neck along with degenerative disk disease, I also have a herniated disk in my lower back with alot of other medical problems because of these injuries, it took 3 years for me to get any relief with my neck I suffer migraine headaches, I use a tens unit which offers some help. My back is really bad, because of the nerve damage I have constant bladder pressure and rectal pressure, I am trying chiropractic treatments.
|

replied December 4th, 2003
Experienced User
Re: 23 Years Old With Back Problems
roxie1422 wrote:
Sad I am 23 years old and recently found out that I have 2 bulging disks (neck and lower back) and 2 herniated disks (neck and lower back). These were recieved in a car accident that I was in about 10 months ago and are just being discovered now because no one ever bothered to do an x-ray or mri on my back until a couple of weeks ago. I never had 1 single problem with my back before this accident and now I feel like I will never be the same or be able to do the things that I love. I need advice and help. If anyone has any similar experience, please get back to me. I need all of the encouragement that I can get right now. Thanks!!

homoeopathy has good remedies to reduce the pressure on the nerves by relieving hte swelling due to the bulging discs impinging on them and relieve you from pain. It can help you away from any complications too.
|
Quick Reply