Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Somebody Please Help

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
For the past week i've had a cold and i've been taking medicines and drinking tea to get over it, that's what I usually do to treat a cold and it's usually effective. Last night I was laying on the couch and all of the sudden I felt a tickle in my throat. That's how it started but the tickle turned into a scratch. It became so irritating that I found myself clearing my throat every few seconds and driking alot of water to make it go a way but it didn't. This scratch in my throat made me cough so hard that it triggered my gag reflex several times, to the point that I felt like vomiting but I didn't.

My first reaction was to eat a peppermint and that seemed to help a little and my father made me another cup of tea. The sensation in my thoat became less frequent and I was able to relax again. However, the tickle in my throat remained for the rest of the night and the day after. I would feel the tickle/scratch with every 3 or 4 breaths I took so I just got used to it and didnt worry about it. I've had bad coughs before and sometimes they cause me to gag for a brief period time, maybe for two seconds at the most but i've never experienced anything like this. This tickle made me cough and gag harder than I have ever in my life.

Anyway, can someone give me advice? Do you know what the tickle was or how I can treat it if it ever occurs again? I suppose it was just mucus but i'm not positive so help me out please.
Did you find this post helpful?
|