Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Ringing In Left Ear, And Tingling Sensation On Left Side (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hey all!

I would love some feedback on my symptoms as my family doctor cannot seem to come up with anything for me.

About a 2 months ago, I developed a middle ear infection that started with a stabbing pain in my ear and a tingling sensation on the left side of my scalp. After 2 weeks of omnicef, I felt a lot better.

Within the past 2 weeks, i've been having the following symptoms show back up. Minor pain in the left side of my neck, my left ear ringing really loud, a mild tingling sensation on the left side of my head with a sore spot directly on the top of my scalp. I went back to my doctor who suggested that I might have developed an inner ear infection and basically told me to take allergy meds and a nasal spray to keep my sinuses clear.

Does this sound right to you guys? Has anyone else had this problem? Does this sound like an ear infection?

Please reply if you can relate...
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nna528
|
Users who thank jmack0013 for this post: kazlind 

replied May 27th, 2005
Ok I had a middle ear infection a couple months ago...It was so bad that they did emergency x-rays and thought it was a cist...They had to surgically go in to see if it was a cist or not and they found that it was a mass fluid build up...Ive had real bad allergies all my life...A couple months after the surgery I noticed a high pitched friquency sound coming out of my ear and now its gone to both ears...It gets really loud when I flex my jaw muscles or bite down...The sound I hear sounds similar to the sound some t.V.'s give off like a high ssssssssss sound...R u experiencing this too? And has it gone down since uve been doing all your allergy medications and nose sprays?
|

replied June 21st, 2005
Wow Too Weird...
I posted my question in the neurology section, but this is too weird that we have so many of the same symtoms, my problem has been ongoing for 10 months, with no answer in sight, at least we can comisserate together. By the way, my ears have always shown no signs of infection, although my left ear is constantly making a popping noise and I will get stabbing pain in it although it never lasts more than a minute.
Fyi, here's a copy of my question/post (sorry its soooo long)

hi all, well this is going to be a long post. Here's the deal... I am a 37 year old female having extreme difficulty in finding a doctor able to make a diagnosis or help with treatment. I have seen my family Dr. (an internist), who has referred me to an ent (appt. Is still two months out) and a neurologist. The following is a list of symptoms and know test and their results.

My symptoms began in early oct. Of 2004, the onset was a 24 hour episode of severe vertigo. Within a few days following the vertigo (with no incident or accident) my neck became stiff and sore with tingling and numbness in my head. After two months with no relief is when I began seeking medical attention, beginning with a chiropractor for the neck and tingling (assuming it was a pinched nerve). The chiropractor did not help after numerous visits over a two-month period. My Dr. Then sent me to the neurologist. He presumed the tingling, numbness and neck pain was not related to the vertigo. He was primarily interested in the vertigo. Additionally I have aura migraines occasionally with no onset of headaches. Symptoms he noted of interest include the following: vertigo, tinitus, aura migraines (prior, during and following vertigo) and bouts with diarrhea. He preformed nerve tests, mri's, hearing tests, balance and vertigo tests. All tests came back normal. He did prescribe a medication (sorry, I forgot the name) that is actually for epilepsy, but might help with the numbness, coldness and tingling. It did help, but after three weeks caused depression. I stopped the medication at that point. Here's where I am at to date. Although the head tingling, etc. Ceased for a month or so, it is back with a vengeance. It is an all day, every day thing, the only thing that comes and goes with it, is the intensity and the movement of the tingling. Sometimes it is only at the very top of my head (also sore spot there on occasion) other times it radiates into the left side of my cheek and slightly into my forehead.)
also to note, the vertigo is becoming severe in its frequency and duration. What started as a one to two hour episode happening once every six months or so over the last four years, easily treated with dramamine, has increased to the last episode three weeks ago lasting 10 days. (with two relatively good days within that time frame) no medication helped. Dramamine, advant(sp?), a 10-day steroid pack, the motion-sickness patch, or an anti-anxiety medication I can't recall the name of either.
There was initial hope that this was all due to something called benign positional vertigo, but the symptoms apparently didn't match and the positional treatments did not affect any change. They have also considered menerige's disease (spelling?) not to be confirmed or ruled out just unlikely at this time. Also probably not ms, no signs of that in mri.
Obviously, I am relieved that nothing appears to be life threading, no tumors, no lesions on the brain, etc. However, the symptoms of the neck soreness are still occurring, the tingling, coldness, numbness is both annoying and at times sore and the vertigo episodes have me on edge and concerned every time I feel even slightly off balance for fear of being bed ridden for another week. Please help, I know i've rambled and given you a lot of information to digest, but I am at a loss as to who to turn to or what to do. My family and my business (all of which I love) are suffering too. Any help or suggestion would be an enormous help!
|

replied August 13th, 2011
pressure ringing one ear
did you ever find relief for your symptoms. I have the exact same experience now in 2011. Sudden onset of vertigo. Pressure and high pitch ringing in left year. Tingling and dizziness off and on. The high pitch ringing and pressure has been constant for 3 months. Had MRI that showed no tumors. ENT doc has no idea.
|

replied October 12th, 2011
Ringing/buzzing in left ear
Hi Jack, I have been having loud buzzing and feeling dizzy/woozy, I went to an ENT had a MRI, VNG test and they found nothing. I was also told to get spray for my nose due to a nose bleed. But they found nothing as well but I still feel woozy and having the buzzing. the Doctor bascially told me to try and avoid loud noise and hope this goes away. Now I am going to get a CT scan. Still searching.
|

replied December 13th, 2012
I have experienced similar to what you've experienced and I've already too many doctors diagnosis from pinched nerve, sinusitis etc; however, none relieved me from those syntoms. While driving I use neck collar and if sudden vertigo attack then I take one tablet Betaserc 24mg or Stugeron with Merislon 6mg. Or you may also get some candy. During vertigo try your eyes to focus only on one point. Don't panick!! Hope it will help. Hans Pandjaitan - Jakarta
|

replied December 13th, 2012
I have experienced similar to what you've experienced and I've already too many doctors diagnosis from pinched nerve, sinusitis etc; however, none relieved me from those syntoms. While driving I use neck collar and if sudden vertigo attack then I take one tablet Betaserc 24mg or Stugeron with Merislon 6mg. Or you may also get some candy. During vertigo try your eyes to focus only on one point. Don't panick!! Hope it will help. Hacienda610 - Jakarta
|

replied July 13th, 2005
I dont think ive had vertigo...I do have ocular migranes and high frequency sounds in my ears...But it doesnt move all around my head...I too have the soar neck but the doctor says that can b from growing cuz im only 16 n this is my main growth spurt...If u find anything helps the sounds reply please
|

replied July 26th, 2005
Re: Ringing In Left Ear, And Tingling Sensation On Left Side
jmack0013 wrote:
hey all!

I would love some feedback on my symptoms as my family doctor cannot seem to come up with anything for me.

About a 2 months ago, I developed a middle ear infection that started with a stabbing pain in my ear and a tingling sensation on the left side of my scalp. After 2 weeks of omnicef, I felt a lot better.

Within the past 2 weeks, i've been having the following symptoms show back up. Minor pain in the left side of my neck, my left ear ringing really loud, a mild tingling sensation on the left side of my head with a sore spot directly on the top of my scalp. I went back to my doctor who suggested that I might have developed an inner ear infection and basically told me to take allergy meds and a nasal spray to keep my sinuses clear.

Does this sound right to you guys? Has anyone else had this problem? Does this sound like an ear infection?

Please reply if you can relate...
|

replied June 29th, 2007
I have the same symptoms: tinitus (buzzing in the ears), spells of vertigo accompanied by numbness and tingling of the hands and feet, then coldness in the hands and feet...most recently the numbness and tingling also affected my face, beginning on the right side and traveling to the left...periodically also had difficulty swallowing.

Maybe we need to consider seeing a neurodental doctor? I do have a severe overbite, and it has been more bothersome lately. The TMJ mentioned in the link below has to do with the jaw misalignment.

Elenda Kip

[link removed]

The complex, interwoven network of nerves in the head and neck explains the fact that many TMJ patients also complain of pain in their neck, face, ear, eyes, sinuses, teeth, and head. Other disturbances may include dizziness, headaches, nausea, ringing in the ears, visual disturbances, loss of equilibrium, earaches, numbness or tingling in the face and hands, and oropharyngeal symptoms. Clicking and grating in the jaw joints, inability to open or close the mouth freely, and difficulty in chewing and swallowing are also reported.
|

replied September 13th, 2007
Ear Ringing After An Operation
Several days following surgery for gallbladder, my ear started ringing badly. I am wondering if it could have had some connectionto the air tube they use in anesthesiology as I was also very hoarse and my throat hurt. I noticed that once, when I was bending over at the waist to get something, Ihappened to swallow, and on the side of my throat that the ear is bothering me, I had a very strange taste...almost like something "ruptured" in my throat. It was a very odd experience. Since then my ear has been ringing almost constantly, and I think louder and worse in the morning after lying down. My neck no longer hurts as it had, but I am questioning if something could have disturbed some delicate balance in my throat/neck to have caused this and if there is anything that could be done to remedy this. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I should mention that this ear also has a full feeling. I have been to an eyes ears throat dr. and he just thiks this is all quite coincidental. Thanks for any feedback.
|

replied February 1st, 2008
ear ringing after surgery
FINALLY! I finally have found others like me I thought I was going crazy. I to had hernia surgery and when I woke up from surgery I have a ringing in my ears that will not go away its 24/7. I have had it now for 4 weeks and am about to loose my mind. I do not think that this is a coinscience that I had surgery and now ringing in my ears. I wont accept that! There has got to be something to make this go away. I think it was when I was under general anisteia It took 4 hours for me to wake up should have been 30 min! Any thoughts???????help!
|

replied February 29th, 2008
Re: Ringing in ear
Virginiagal - I have had a ringing in my ear for 5 months and it gradually is going away. I have not had a surgery which makes it different to what you have but here are some things that have helped:
1. Avoid all diet soda
2. Avoid all caffeine
3. I take 4 x 10 claritin for 2 weeks and now 2 x 10 mg claritin and it has helped - check with you doctor before taking it though!!!
4. Check to make sure you don't have TMJ
|

replied May 15th, 2008
CONSTANT RINGING IN MY LEFT EAR
This is for jamck013 about your problems. I have the same symptons as you and the ringing in my ear is driving me crazy. If you would like to discuss this you can pm me.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Ringing in ear
kazlind

It has now been 7 months for me and it IS getting quieter. Like you it drove me crazy and I tried everything - and I mean everything!: MRI, ginko, vit B complex, grape seed extract, meletonin, no diet sodas, got tested for allergies, hydrotherapy (hot and cold showers to improve circulation), multivitamins, stading on my head (again for circulation), a salt nasal rinse, no wine, lots of wine, taking some shower noise (boosted the 10k frequencies) and mixing it on my computer with classical music and slowly decreasing the shower sound to try and train my brain not to hear the tinnitus ringing (make sure you turn all the volumes off and slowly make it louder so you don't make things worse with a sudden loud noise), taking 4 claritin a day (which is the one thing I can say has helped - but CHECK with your doctor!!!), getting a mouth brace type thing as I do clench my teeth while I sleep, stopped taking all otc meds like asprin, advil, peptobismol etc. and checked all my perscription meds to make sure they were not oxotoxic, drinking a gallon of water a day, getting molded ear plugs, praying and a good deal of cursing!

As I mentioned the claritin has helped (doctor thinks it was not due to allergies but due to the claritin drying up fluids in my head and relieving pressure on what was causing it), the MRI gave me peace of mind and at the same time they did a hearing test (make sure you get one that covers all the high freqencies) and it showed my hearing was good which helped give me some peace of mind that it was not caused by listening to loud music (I now never listen to music with headphones and always wear molded earplugs when I go to concerts, the movies, play guitar etc.) I also use some liquid stuff in my ears once a month to remove ear wax and then slide down under the bath water and gently rinse it out (never stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear!!! and don't use a syringe with water to rinse ears out) Also have your ENT check to make sure you don't have bits of crystals that can form in your ears that cause balance and ringing problems - if you do, there is a maneouver they can do to help fix it.

Take comfort that there are lots of us who have had this and everyone I have spoken to (where it was not from lound noise, meneriers etc.) it HAS gone away. Mine is very quiet now but when it started it was like to angry fluerecent tubes buzzing and would actually cause a bit of pain in my ear and mouth. Check with your doctor and get courage from lists like this but don't dwell on the internet or you will convince yourself that you have every possible ailment that can cause tinnitus! Smile
|

replied June 22nd, 2008
Ringing in ears, tingling sensation and pressure
Hi, (sorry if this is too long)

This forum has been really helpful for me as I have had some similar symptoms and my doctor cannot give me a straight answer besides that it is depression/anxiety related. First off, I am a 28 year old female and about 7 months ago I started experiencing a tingling sensation on the right side of my head above my ear and around my temple. I had never experienced this before. At the time, I also was experiencing panic attacks and I went to the doctor and they prescribed me xanax and said the symptoms were stress related. For a few months I was only taking xanax for the panic attacks but the tingling sensations continued off and on and even spread down my left arm and a few times to my leg. I went back to the doctor and all my vitals (BP, reflexes, heart rate) were fine. No problems with balance or paralysis at all. They even checked me for diabetes and I was negative. So this time they put me on a low level dose of paroxetine for depression as I had been experiencing some stressful events in my life. This helped for the symptoms associated with depression/anxiety, but the tingling had turned into a pressure and I started experiencing ringing in my ears, and a slight loss of hearing in my right ear. I also started to notice that my right pupil was dilating wider than the other, but this happens only at night when I am really tired. A few weeks ago I got a sinus infection and I am wondering if this could be related to a combination of sinus problems and the anti-depressant meds. The symptoms happen with less frequency now but they are not completely gone. In the past I have had some issues with my ears, tubes 3 times when I was a kid, and a bad ear infection about 10 years ago in the same ear I'm having issues with now. I've also always had this popping sound in my jaw when I open it too wide, thought to be TMJ. I haven't had a CT scan or MRI as I am waiting for my health insurance to kick in from a new job. Should I even bother or does my ear just need to drain? Any help would be appreciated as self-diagnosis is scary on the internet - it's told me it's a brain tumor, MS, etc. ---whoa!
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Buy claritin forum
Hello Friend,

I would suggest you to go and see your doctor first before taking any drug. After consulting your doc, he will write you a prescription and you can get medicine easily. Else you can go to any reputed online pharmacy like bestgenericdrugs(.)net and buy from them easily. I had tried them and they are good.
|

replied June 8th, 2009
My ear story
Hello All,
I had sinusitis this winter, fluid backed up into my ears and now I am in the same boat. I've seen an ENT and ear neurologist. They can't find anything noticeably wrong. The only thing that worked for me was running. You have to do it for about 10 mins before you can feel it start to work. I run 20 mins. It isn't necessary to do it everyday. In fact, once it goes higher and softer, I don't have to run for a couple of months (though I am trying to stay on track for my overall health). I can't imagine better circulation could be a bad thing, so I plan to continue.
|

replied August 25th, 2009
long term bezodiazepine use (valium, xanax etc - more than a few weeks) will cause all the symptoms above. rapid dicontinuation of benzodiazepines will massively increase these symptoms and be accompanied by depression (all will eventually go - can take up to a year). You will set similar symptoms and withdrawal from other drugs that affect benzo receptors including natural nervous system suppressants like Valerian and cannabis and alcohol. just in case any of you guys might associate these thing with your selves. note that if you are going to stop any of these things then do so gradually and seek assistance and further knowledge.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
after buzzzzz, deafness came (i hope temporary)
My left ear is buzzing 3 days now. At that day i wake up in the morning and without reason, within 5 minutes i got a high blood pressure which got away within the same day(it went about 16-10 while i usualy have 12-7, i have no history on pressure nor my relatives - i'm 30y.o ).
After 2 days , i wake up in the morning and my left ear can not hear anything at all except the buzzing sound.
There is no pain . I went to a clinic ,they looked at my ear externaly and it was fine.... i will have some test's with in the next days. For the moment i enjoy half-deafness...
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
50-50
I started medrol cortizone pills, my ear is 70db down, so it's not working at all. They told me that the critical period has passed away. Now i can hope that it will reveal by itself within next months.
Do any one knows somethink else? Are there alternative treatments?
|

replied October 6th, 2009
I suffered lot, always try to buy wide range of generic medications genericmedicationonline.com from a safe and secure place.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
Tingling Ear
hi,

Two weeks ago i had a middle ear infection (right ear) and went back to the doctor and my canal was still blocked etc she prescibed me with ear drops that worked now i am experiencing tingling outside of my ear just above the temple? has anyone had these symptoms?If so what can i do for it to go away??

Please Help
|

replied June 29th, 2010
I never had ear infections as a child or and adult, last year my ear started popping and it was driving me crazy, so I went to the EENT and he said stop chewing gum and eat soft foods, well i thought he had me mixed up with one of the elderly patients he saw, so I went to another EENT and he sent me for an MRI which was normal, he also gave me some allegra to take for allergies. The next year after my Knee surgery my ear go worst with the popping, but the first time my ear started to buzz like a bee was in it I got so dizzy same day I went to ER and spent money for antivert and went home. I could not get an appointment with the EENT until a week later I was eating those antiverts like every two hours and taking the allegra every two hours, basically I was scared of the buzzing and the dizziness because I had to go to work. Well, later I went to another clinic and the intern after I told her what was going on suggested valium 2mg a small dose she said, you can work also with it, I tried it for a month and it helped, but I don't want to take valium every day so when it stopped the dizziness and popping and buzzing i stopped taking the meds. Well it lasted about two weeks and the popping started back so i am going to start taking the allegra and the antivert to see if it will stop. Does anybody know any Dr. that knows what this is. ooh mine is only on the right ears .
|
12 >>