Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Muscle Twitching All Over Body... Can This Be Anxiety? (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hello all, i've been experiencing muscle twitching for about 8 months now, but it started with just a few twitches of my hamstrings while sitting for long periods of time.

It has since progressed to the point that I went to my dr and he ran bloodwork (suspected potassium deficiency)-- all blood work came back normal and he gave me a low dose of xanax because he felt that I was causing them with anxiety.

My issue is that they have recently become worse, to the point that I have somewhere around 10-20 every minute and they vary in size and duration- mostly in my legs but also in arms, stomach muscles and back. They can be a small twitch, major spasm where the limb jerks or just a constant "buzzing" feeling.

The xanax seems to lessen the twitches but not stop them altogether. I have ruled out dehydration and other causes like caffeine (i don't drink coffee or sodas). I've been on a few forums and of course dread the worst ie.. Als, ms or similar -- but mostly i've found that I only have a few of the symptoms they involve.

I have always been a nervous/ stressed person but this is a little too extreme for me. I'm finding it hard to concentrate with constant and random twitching all day long..And at night when I get into bed, it feels like electrical impulses are running through my legs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper belladaisygirl
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Experienced User
I know when I start stressing is when I my eyes start to twitch! I start loosing sleep and i'm so tense.
But when I started learning to mediate, drink lots of water during the day things started to change. But the biggest comes from your mind and the way you actually handle a stressful situation.
See I work in a very hight pressured job dealing with alot of customers, I started to well not take things too personal.
Its different for everybody. I dunno maybe once you get home is to pamper yourself, run a hot bath, read a good book, pick up that hobby you loved once and have forgotten back up again!
Distraction is the key. :d
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
twitching pain in my body
restless leg syndrome... its not just ur legs, it arms and back and i was even haven seizures... they put me on meds for Parkinson's and my seizures stopped! and most of my twitching and pain... keep ur iron up and exercise even if it hurts... and u should start to feel better... also lake of sleep can worsen the twitching... I have been dealing with this for about 2 years, not fun!
|

replied May 31st, 2012
Hi, I was wondering if you were still having the twitching. I have had it for a month. I have the worst anxiety over it and think I have a bad diease.
|

replied June 3rd, 2012
I have also had this twitching for about a month! It's crazy. And it's all over the place as soon as I wake up. I am going to a neurologist on Tuesday to see what they suggest. I just turned 27 and had shingles exactly 2 months ago for some reason. A mild case. But now this?
|

replied August 4th, 2013
Had this for almost 10 years now! The most annoying and sometimes painfull thing. As far as I remember, it started in 2nd grade (in London, just in case you want to calculate the age) with weird blinking and eyebrows sometimes twitching. Then, came the arms randomly spazing, then the legs...and now my face can't stop twitching - eyebrows especially when I daydream, my jaw opens like hell for no reason and my stomach muscles spaz all the time. Last year I blinked with one or the other eye at random moments. Imagine how embarrasing it was when someone thought I winked at them.

Yes, I'm almost 15 (will be that much 3rd nov 2013) Smile
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Twitching
I have had the EXACT same thing happening! It started out small, but the twitching got more and more. Now it's all day and night. Sometimes I will have a day where it stops only for the next week to be just as bad as ever! This has gone on two years for me and it is enough to make you crazy! I don't know how it could be something I am causing myself because it wakes me up at night and won't stop. I was also diagnosed with Celiac disease 18 months ago, but the doc doesn't know why I'm twitching,
|

replied July 14th, 2011
I'm sure that not to many people will be able to relate to me but,i used heroin for about 13 years.i am now clean about 3 months.I have been experiancing these body jerks for a long long time.i think it has to do with the nervous system.heroin destroys it,but i could be wrong.i googled 'why does my body jerk' and this is what came up.does anybody know if i'm correct?do you think that maybe my body jerks due to the drug use?or is there another reason for this realy annoying problem?????
|

replied September 6th, 2011
Weird Twitching All over
I am going thru a similar situation. My twitching mostly just started today actually. Its all over my body, in my back, shoulders, and my arms but nothing below the belt. Also I'm pregnant which I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. But I have an opiate dependency and I'm after reading your post, I'm starting to think thats where its coming from, thanks!
|

replied November 27th, 2011
drug use
yes drug use does cause this, other things that can cause though also are things such as loss of certain vitamins or potassium. stay strong on your sobriety i too get these twitches cause of drug use also -_____-
|

replied April 5th, 2009
I am experiencing the exact same things!It has been going on for about 5 weeks.I've never had it before this. I have been under a lot of stress and am very sleep deprived. I am so scared of going to the Dr. but I know I have to go. The twitches go away for a few days but they come back.My body does not feel weak it is just twitching.Very scary. It also gets worse when I think about it.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
muscle twitching all over body
I have been experiencing muscle twitching all over my whole entire body for close to two years. It's pretty much all the time. Every part of my body that you can imagine from head to toe. I had an EMG, EKG, blood work, and MRI, and everything is normal. They call it benign fasiculation syndrome. So I settle with that. Keep hope. It will be ok.
|

replied August 13th, 2009
I also have the little mussel twitches. It stared about 5 months ago and have progressively been getting worse. I of course fear ms or some other crazy disease. I eat almost perfect ( raw diet )lots of raw goats milk that has lots of calcium. Anyway I can't get to sleep very easily and I hate waiting for the next twitch. One more thing, I do not really notice the twitches when standing or moving. When I go to the doc I'll let you all know what they say.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
twitching all over body
I have been experiencing the exact thing recently, as well. I, too, do not notice the twitches when I'm moving. I'm also eat healthy food, no caffeine, alcohol, and rarely sodas. However, I've also been waking up to numb hands with the "pins and needles" sensation. Also, experienced sleep paralysis. I think it's do to an increase in stressful levels that's causing me so much anxiety that my body is defying my mind. I should probably see a dr.
|

replied August 25th, 2009
muscle twitching
I have had muscle twitching starting with my thigh then one morning it was all over my body for five minutes then small ones here and there all over my body for two months. They don't hurt. I have not been sleeping as well. I am a perfectionist and maybe it is stress? I told the Dr. and he said many people have twitches but this is everyday??? It bothers me knowing that this does not seem right!
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I also have twitching
I have the same thing. Twitching started 5 weeks ago, are intermittent, sometimes they seem to go away for a day or two thern they come back with a vengance. I have had CBC blood work (OK) and EMG (OK). Dr wants me back in 3 weeks to see if it is getting better or worse. I am worried it is ALS and am starting to take actions as if it is. I am going to assume I have mercury poisoning from dental fillings and am going to have all fillings replaced and detox my body with Chelating drugs , cornsilk tea and clay bath. My body probably needs it anyway.
I am 43 and just had a baby boy. I am scared to death it is ALS.
I notice the twitching when I am sitting or laying down, they don't seem to be as present when I am active or standing. I was taking caffeine pills right before this started but that should have cleared my system a long time ago. I am also usually dehydrated I'm sure and have been drinking lots of water. The twitching remains. Can't sleep, the twitches wake me up.
I'm hoping the fillings and detox work.
|

replied July 19th, 2012
did taking out the fillings help? I read this yesterday and its the only answer I've gotten after 13 years of research the doc all say its benign fasiculation syndrome. I think its bs
|

replied October 15th, 2009
im having them too been like it for a week getting jolting in my head mainly started all over my body all of a sudden but some symptoms have gone.
Ive been diagnosed with a prostate infection.Could this be causing it?
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
Hi,
I started muscle twitching the first night I started with cybalta (which I went off the nextday)but I also was very stressed from having anxiety and I was thinking about my back pain flaing up into a major back spasm pain that I won't hardly be able to move from. i have been going through a divorce for 6 months and my fear was to become disabled from my back. I have had crhonic back pain for 15 years and have had episodes that have lasted for 6 months. But I didn't have to work because I was married and my husband could do the grocery shopping and other household chores when I couln't hardly move. Now being alone and I have a back twinge I fear it is going to go into a big flare up. My husband has another woman and doesn't want me back. I have gone to group cognitive therapy, therapist, and have been on Citalapram (antidepressant) for months. I did find out that most antidepressants can cause twitching I talked to my pharmacist and he said that most of them do. Just google citlapram and muscle twitching. I am off Citalopram for two days but I am still having twitches - although the pharmacist said it takes two weeks to get the Citalopram out of your system. I fear the twitches because they keep me up all night long and i can't sleep. Lorazapam at night takes them away but I can only be on that for just a few months as it is an addictive anti anxiety medicine. My fear increases so much when I think it is my anxiety - my anxiety increases!!!! I am desperate for help, I have sleep apnea at night so I am constantly waking up and going to sleep all night long I think that is why my twitches happens so much at night because I am constanly going through the awake sleep cylcle. I am a scared mess!!!!!!!!! I tried a CPAP machine for sleep apnea but the force of the air scared me and I couldn't sleep. Anyone try Mirapex for twitches - I was on the lowest dose for two months and when I statred to decrease Lorazapam at night and increase Mirapex my twitches cam back at night so the conclusion was that the Mirapex didn't work but the Lorazapam does. I feel so hopeles!!!!!!!!!!
|

replied August 2nd, 2012
I too am on Citalopram and have to take Lorazepam at night. I was really worried my doctor would not refill my lorazepam because it was a controlled substance. He told me not to worry since my dosage was considered low (I take 1mg at night and as needed for anxiety). No worries, if you have no substance abuse history it shouldn't be a problem at a low dose. Although your dose of Citalopram could be off. Im at 10mg, have been on 20mg. Anything at or over 40mg is not recommended, 60mg is toxic according to new research.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2011/08/24/ce lexa-linked-to-heart-damage-when-taken-at- high-doses/28914.html
|

replied November 30th, 2009
Muscle Twitching a side-effect to prescription drugs
After researching my muscle twitching I am finding out itis due to mediacations. I see some of you are having the same reactions. I took Levaquin, a flouroquinaline antibiotic but I am sure the toxins in Levaquin are in many other drugs.
The twitching is a by-product of these drugs. They are toxic to some people or in high enough doses. I have stopped taking all drugs and done a detox, it helped but the twitching is not completely gone, it is reducing though. It no longer keeps me awake at night (a good thing). I just have small twitching in my forearms and calves with a little in my back.
I think Levaquin damaged my tendons, nerve endings and it will take time for my body to heal itself. Some poeple who have taken Levaquin think the muscle and nerve damage could be permanent but I am keeping a hopeful mind.
The new drugs coming on the market are more dangerous than helpful. My suggestion is to not take anything you don't absolutely have to take.
Lose weight, drink lots of water, exercise, and eat right. 85% of everything wrong with you will go away.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
I had been taking sertraline and came off because of severe twithching and involuntary movements very unpleasant. Now on mirtazepine and getting very slight twitching but bareable hope it doesnt get any worse. has anyone else had this reaction to anti-depressants?.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
Twitching and antidepressants
Hi. I've been living with twitching for about 2 yrs. It comes and goes. Today's pretty bad and my hands are shaking. I went to Toronto's top clinic (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - it's their specialty) and spent about 3 hours with one of their best psychiatrists. We got onto this topic and he advised that twitching and shaking are one of the most common side effects of antidepressants! To bad most doctors don't tell you this or even know about this. He also advised that in most people this will go away once the drugs are stopped. Sadly, he also said that in about 5% of people it can become permanent. I don't really worry about it anymore now that I know it's not some weird and not-so-wondeful disease. Hope this helps you.
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
This is helpful because I started taking sertraline two months ago and about 6 weeks ago I started muscle twitches only when I am lying down to take a nap or going to bed for the night . It has gotten worse rather then better but I'm sure this's what it's from.
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Re: Muscle Twitching All Over Body... Can This Be Anxiety?
Hey. I have been having anxiety related muscle twitches for a few months. It started after I got married and my Dr and I both think it is a residual stress disorder that I developed from the stress of planning a wedding. - Only that it showed up after the wedding and my body had a chance to sit back and let it all come up. Some days are BAD and my muscles are on the go with the twitching and I freak out, and then other days its fine and theres little or no signs of twitches etc. One time my index finger was going nuts! I was scared! the twitches has started to calm down lately, the occasional bad day, but its getting less frequent, as opposed to EVERY DAY. And it's because i've changed how I see them.. just wait it out because it will stop.. instead of freaking out etc.
The whole "think positive" thing is true! changing the way you think or stepping away for 5 minutes does you the world of good. I notice the twitches more often when im under pressure or in uncomfortable situations etc..
Don't stress over them. You can get sleep and anxiety tablets from the chemist over the counter natural stuff that helps.
Keep smiling though! It's not as bad as it feels like - even when it feels really really bad!
Hope this helps anyone out there!
|

replied June 16th, 2011
Did your twitching ever stop? What was it diagnosed as? Thank you!
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Wow - sad to see we're all going through this. I've been twitching now for about 9 months. They're not ripples like full blown fasciculations but the annoying little twitching drives me crazy. I've had a ton of blood work. I've seen the best rheumatologist and neurologist is my area. All test are negative. The neurologist said I seemed a little anxious which may be causing them. I have to say that at the point of noticing that the twitching was happening on a daily basis, I was under prolonged stress (very long story). It seems like my physical body had a nervous breakdown. The twitching slows down then increases, then slows down and the cycle continues. I'm very frustrated at this point, especially because no one seems to be able to help us!!! If it's not ALS or MS or some other auto immune or neurologic problem - what the heck is it and how in the world do we make it stop!? I'm going to get on a new regimen of healthy eating, lots of water, a lot less caffeine, exercise, and more sex...hey - something's got to give! If this all doesn't work...I'm just out of options - I don't want to go on any type of mood altering drugs.
|

replied April 3rd, 2010
feeling doomed
boy i can relate..ive been twitching for 14 months..my brother died of als..i never saw my brother because for some odd reason he was adopted out way before i was born..so one day i decieded to look for him and then found out he died of als...soon after my calfs started to hurt so of course i looked it up on the internet and guess where it went..right to als..so then the twitches started..the muscle spasms...then my tongue started to burn..i now have a lump in my throat...i dont feel weak but i cant tell if my muscles look smaller...i still havent built up enough courage to go get checked because my brother had it...talk about feeling doomed
|

replied April 3rd, 2010
feeling doomed
boy i can relate..ive been twitching for 14 months..my brother died of als..i never saw my brother because for some odd reason he was adopted out way before i was born..so one day i decieded to look for him and then found out he died of als...soon after my calfs started to hurt so of course i looked it up on the internet and guess where it went..right to als..so then the twitches started..the muscle spasms...then my tongue started to burn..i now have a lump in my throat...i dont feel weak but i cant tell if my muscles look smaller...i still havent built up enough courage to go get checked because my brother had it...talk about feeling doomed
|

replied April 15th, 2010
Spasms/twitches due to mercury fillings?
I have a question: Do you all have Mercury fillings? I have about 6 fillings in my teeth - ALL the mercury/silver colored type (which I got many years ago). I am 26 years old. I was reading about fish oil, trying to help my dry scalp/hair and overall health. Thats when I saw stuff about mercury poisoning and I was like "Hey, arent my filling mercury?? If mercury is dangerous why the h*ll do dentists put it in people''s teeth?? Maybe thats part of the reason they have the white filling available now - or maybe it was available before but they just used the cheaper kind on me". Anyway, I read moments ago that mercury poisoning has neurological symptoms such as twitching. I have been having (very embarrassing..i usually wear long clothing even when its a bit warm out, so that i can help prevent anyone from seeing the spasms) the spasms/twitching since 15 years old. Im sure that I had atleast 1 mercury filling by that age. So...maybe the twitching is due to that. I was already scheduled for a cleaning/check up at a dental office...tomorrow at the appt. i will ask the dentist what she thinks and ask how much money it would cost me to get them changed to the white fillings (fyi: I think I just read that the white ones also have mercury but at a level of 50%). The spasms I have are almost every minute, EVERY single day...it started as a very tiny, barely noticable twitch at my inner/upper thigh but within days or weeks, it had spread. For years, I have been getting them (Much more intense jerks than the initial gentle twitch) anywhere from my scalp to the soles of my feet! Very unnerving since it catches me off guard. Right at this moment, and for the past 10 minutes, im getting tons of them - every several seconds or so - in my calf muscles of both legs and the sometimes the front of my leg and just now in my right thigh then at my right ankle. It happens most in my legs and arms but also my rib area, eye lid, surface of my nose, neck, finger, etc. I did go to a Neurologist one time and he gave me literally a 5 minute session. He simply hit my knees to check my reflexes, had me walk like a duck, had me do a tiny bit of hand-eye coordination, and thats ALL! Then he said "This happens to a lot of people and they live normal lives." Alteast he did give me a muscle relaxer prescription (which only helps by about 15% but its better than nothing). Before him, I had gone to a couple of regular doctors and they said "its stress" which seems to be their answer to basically Everything that they cant answer or dont want to put the effort into figuring out the answer to. And my twitches, yes you can see them (unless its the occassional weaker strength twitch) - you''d see the muscle look like its pulsating or jerking rapidly a few times in a row. For anyone who feels we "make ourselves" do it...i so wish they were afflicted with it. Anyway, i hope that i helped and IF it is due to mercury it will feel good that it was "figured out" and hopefully the twitching would lessen even if it doesnt totally go away. Thanks for sharing your stories. It makes me feel a little less awkward about my situation, but it is still pretty annoying feeling this sudden vibration or jerk and having to wonder as im talking to someone "did they see that spasm that just happened in my.." finger, or eyelid, etc. *sighs*

P.S. In my case, the possible causes are not very limited. I grew up in an extremely, extremely stressful and painful situation and in adulthood i have been through a lot of stress (although I dont know if anything compares to my childhood). I was forced (told by my mother, and I obeyed because that was the only option and i knew that. I was very respectful and..yes..meek) to get this birth control method called the Norplant but into my arm at 13 years old right after my very first period - even though I was a kind of nerdy kid and wasnt At All interested in kissing boys or something crazy like that at 12 or 13 years old. I think she did it because she had a lot of problems with my outspoken, disrespectful, hot-in-the-a** older sister whom im nothing like (the surgery was EXTREMELY PAINLFUL..the way this crappy/cheap tiny doctor''s office did it atleast...then when it was taken out a few years later when this African doctor was taking it out...even after he make a pretty long cut of about 2.5 inches - he said he might have to make Another cut at a different location since he was having a hard time getting one of the 5 or so long pills out from under my skin layer! Im guessing he cut too deep, since its hard for me to flex the muscle whereas in my other arm my muscle immediately responds/flexes). I had terrible periods - VERY heavy bleeding. Sometimes lasting for 15 days, 17 days, etc. (I kepts track of the days/length once, for several months). Now that the Norplant has been discontinued...i wonder if it was dangerous to begin with and may have been why I began getting the twitches.
|

replied May 4th, 2010
Twitching
I have had constant twitching in my body for probably the last 3 years. They don''t hurt but they sure are annoying. I have not been to the doctor yet for this but I am definately to the point where I need to go because it is so annoying. Right now my right eye is twitching on my lower eye lid. I have them everywhere from head to toe. I always assumed it was from lack of sleep but now I''m not so sure. It''s starting to worry me.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
It's nothing I get them all time I have had sum that bad in my head obove my eye it looks like my vain is going to pop ha. U can get them from lack of fitness or from been really fit. It's just something every 1 gets..
|

replied May 6th, 2010
twitches
I have had THE TWITCH i call it for going on five years, it started in my feet and sowly moved all over my body, it also makes me itch too. my skin is poping up all over my body and I can see it too, like discusting, Ive tried every type of anti sezeire med possible. Its so annoyingly painful to me I just can''t stand it anymore. One docter told me I was hyperventilating which made sense because one time I had a full blown panic attack and my whole chest felt like one big inward twitch, I could not breath and the twitching went crazier than it ever had very fast and literally everywher at once. Hang in there people.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
muscle twiching causes
To VA sweets and anybody else,
I have been having the twiching also. For about 3 weeks now. I also have mercury fillings. I got the fillings about 3 years ago. Anybody else? Also is anybody taking any colesteral lowering drugs? Does anybody have any tingling either?
|