Medical Questions > Cancer > Lung Cancer Forum

Chest Pain / Smoking (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi everyone

i am a 20yr old male and have smoked for three years. However recently I have cutback a lot, having one here or there or none at all some days. I'm trying to stop all together.

Anyways the other week I noticed a small sharp pain on the left side of my chest in a small spot and only felt it when I moved a certain way or took a very deep breath. Now it's at the point where it is no longer a small spot; I feel sharp pains up and down my entire lung. I feel them now when I breathe normally and turn my upperbody in any direction. It hurts to laugh, blow my nose , sneeze and all that good stuff. I cant even take a deep breath because it is too painful.

Does anyone have any input about this?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by vbp52 on May 25th, 2005 12:05 AM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mondo1287
|
Users who thank vbp52 for this post: Anweshdas 

replied May 24th, 2005
Re:chest Pain
Hi.I went through something similar to what you are talking about.I don't smoke,but I used to.I have chest pains now (i'm 29/m) and i've had a chest x-ray but no problems.What have you done to diagnose the problem?
|

replied May 25th, 2005
Re: Chest Pain
I have not seen a doctor or have gone through any testing yet.. I was kind of waiting to see if the pain will simply go away by itself after a while.. I'm sure thats not the best solution I just dont how long to wait and dont know what exactly to do.. I just dont know if it's general chest or something else...
|

replied June 17th, 2005
Sorry I'm Late...
I just joined today and saw your post. I had the same problem...Yesterday in fact. I could barely catch my breath, my chest hurt soooo bad and that pain radiated all the way around to my back. It was so bad I had to leave work and go to the Dr. Well I have been smoking off and on for about 25 years. I've quit several times...Sometimes for long periods of time. And always when I was pregnant. Anyway...After about 2 1/2 hours of waiting, testing, xrays, etc., the doctor told me I had the beginning stages of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd). This is not a good thing, and if you continue to smoke you will end up walking around with an oxygen tank permanently attached. I left the dr's office with two different meds...Both inhaled. If I don't smoke any more my condition will not worsen; however, it won't go away either. It's something I have to live with from now on. I haven't had a cig since my dr's visit, but it hasn't been easy that's for sure. I am also a pot smoker...But I didn't have the courage to ask the doctor if that was just as bad. I just haven't done that either. Guess we'll see what happens. Hope that is helpful to you. How are you feeling now? Did you go to the doctor to see what it was?
|

replied May 26th, 2011
I am also a pot smoker and have talked to my doctor about it and the effects on my heath and a lot has to do with the way u smoke: joints are worse because nothing filters the tar so anything should have a screen metal is worse then glass as well. The best bet is a vapoizor it hurts the lungs a lot less for me at least and not big hits, and a lot of the additive (which is the worst part) aren't in the vapor. You can also add to different recipes and it works just as well and you can have a tasty snack too:) These are some things you can do to lessen the damage, but unfortanatly pot is just as bad for your lungs as tabacco but easier on other organs.
|

replied March 21st, 2012
Alright ladies, Well I have gone through the same stuff as you girls. I am a pot smoker and a cigarette smoker. I'm sure the problems are a combination of different things. The main problems are Stress/Anxiety/Inflammation/Bad Circulation. Marijuana and smoking causes all of those on our bodies. You may not think of it like that but smoke stresses the body out because you are poisoning it and anxiety is caused from pot because most people tend to over think. This wears your body down and the stress turns into inflammation. from being stressed and anxious, it causes your muscles to tighten, which then causes your veins to pump blood harder which hardens your veins and arteries. The pain in the chest is due to bad circulation from all the above factors. My advice is to quit all of it and keep up on your health. I have to do it, and so should you if you want it to stop, and live a full happy life. I do smoke pot from time to time and without cigarettes the pain doesn't usually come. So you still can smoke some pot but try to stay clear away from those cancer sticks. They are the worst. Reply with what you think, and how you are feeling now
Thanks,
Scott
|

replied July 16th, 2005
Definitly go to the doctor and get xrays. When I was 19, i'm 25 now, I was riding in a friends car when I started having very severe pains in my left lung
much like you're describing. The pain was so bad I could barely breathe and starting throwing up from the pain. I went to the doctor the next day and was diagnosed with pneumothorax. Since then i've had a few problems with it but never as bad as the first time. They say it most often occurs in tall skinny smokers, but there was a study done that also directly linked it with loud audio bass. The first time it happened to me I was in a car with pretty loud bass. Since then if i'm somewhere where there is a lot of bass my chest will start to hurt.
|

replied April 28th, 2012
wow thanks i am tall and skinny and i did start smoking when i was young
|

replied September 28th, 2012

i am a chin smoker n found this yoga exercise, which has helped me clean up my lungs a lot n other problems caoused by my smoking. see other videos of pranayama n kapalbhati, it will improve ur condition for sure.
|

replied July 22nd, 2005
Experienced User
I had that. It turned out it was a pulmonary embolism.My pain was in my back though. I thought I just hurt my back. It hurt to breath, move ,i couldnt lay down because the pain was so bad I had to sleep sitting up. Mine was in my back but usually the pain is in the chest. Don't worry because chances are you dont have one because young people usually dont have them. Unless in my case you take birth controll. But to be safe see a doc.

Sorry about caps, shift key stuck :(
|

replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
What are the symptoms of pulmonary embolus?

Cough:
begins suddenly
may produce bloody sputum (significant amounts of visible blood or lightly blood streaked sputum)
sudden onset of shortness of breath at rest or with exertion
splinting of ribs with breathing (e.G., bending over or holding the chest)
lightheadedness
fainting
dizziness
chest pain:
under the breastbone or on one side
sharp, stabbing, burning, aching or dull, heavy sensation
may be worse at night
may radiate to the shoulder, arm, neck, jaw, or other area
may be worsened by breathing deeply, coughing, eating, bending, or stooping
sweating
anxiety
breathing, rapid
rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2005
Experienced User
That is so strange you mention something like this, because recently I have gotten some sharp pains like that. I am not too sure if it is related to smoking or not (might be accutane too) but I just recently quit smoking because I dont want to take the chance.
|

replied July 29th, 2005
I also have this problom dose it also affect you when you play like sports or are active....
|

replied July 30th, 2005
Truth About Mesothelioma Lung Cancer
Truth about mesothelioma lung cancer

i believe that this can give you an idea them on the possibilities of cures, help, and awareness.
This in english and very good information about lung cancer.
|

replied January 3rd, 2007
Oi
If you want to know more about mesothelioma let's to visit this site :

http://www.Mesothelioma-vn.Co.Nr

one of the best mesothelioma website news in the world !!!
|

replied September 11th, 2007
This is really unfortunate. It seems as if I have a similar problem but it happens and goes away all the time. I have anxiety attacks so I always assume it is one, but then it feels like there are fluids in my lungs.

- I have sharp pains on the left side of my chest
- The pains often radiate to the same spot, except near my back
- I get a pulsing ache on my left shoulder and neck
- If I lay down on my left side of my body, my heart does this gurgling action

I am not sure if my problem is related, but it is really annoying and I hope I don't have that clot thing and die >.>
|

replied March 21st, 2012
dude... anything that messes with your heart is the worst thing that can happen. You need to go to the ER right away and get tests done
|

replied November 5th, 2007
okay, well...I am just glad that I am not crazy after all! I went to the hospital 9 days ago with severe chest pain that was also in my back and neck. I kept telling the nurses that when I moved a certain way, I could feel this gurgle, they wouldn't even listen to it and they said it was just a fast heart beat! ( as if I have no idea what it feels like when my heart is pounding!) They took a chest x-ray to rule out clot and said it was pluracy. I do not agree with the pluracy diagnosis ( although I do believe that I have experienced pluracy before ). I am still tolerating this chest pain after 9 days, but it is a lot more tolerable now.

- gurgling in chest that feels more like my heart or throat than in my lungs
- sharp pains that started in the center of my chest and raidiated to my back and neck. ( now it is mostly only in my back)
-when I lay on my back the pain is worse
-breathing deep/coughing/bending/moving made the pain worse the first 4 days (now its not so much)
-shortness of breath
- I am begining to experience lightheadeadness when I sing, or talk a lot quickly ( did not used to be a problem)
- the pain is on the left side
- moving to the left is painful
- siting up and leaning forward was the only way I could tolerate the pain durring the first several days.

does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? I searched all the things that were listed and either the symptoms don't quite match, or the hospital already ruled them out.
|

replied November 14th, 2007
Thought I Was Dying...
Hey, I had an experience similar to this last night, and I found this site through Google. I was up late studying for finals, and the first time I felt the really sharp pain was when I layed down in bed, propped over top of my books. I thought maybe I had pulled something, and it hurt when I breathed in and out deeply, like at the top and bottom of my breaths. It felt like it was on my left side, just underneath my heart. I decided to go to bed, but it got worse when I laid down. If I moved in any direction, there was a sharp pain. I had to prop myself up on the couch, and I'm not sure if I fell asleep or passed out from my short breaths. I absolutely hate hospitals, and I'm hoping it will just go away. The only difference with me though, is that I'm not a smoker, I'm 20, and I never have smoked. It's a little better this morning, but my chest still hurts.

Anyone have an experience similar to this? What's wrong with me?
|
Users who thank niki191 for this post: Anweshdas 

replied May 10th, 2011
yes ! i get that pain that u mentioned there that when u breath in and out deeply ! its like a very sharp pain kind of thing yea ? and thats just all which happens to me ! after i hold my breath for 10 secs the pain go aways ! i donno whether if this is what has happened to u!? but i found ur case a bit similar to mine so just thought of sharing ! Smile
|

replied June 28th, 2012
stabbing pains under my ribs.
I have the exact same symptoms, i have had them for as long as i can remember, i have asked several docters and visited several hospitals, x-rays, the works, they cant find anything. somtimes holding your breath works, but other times i cant hold it long enough. in those cases, i just have to hold on to something and keep breathing deep through it. it hurts but it stops after a few minutes. if you find out what it is, let me know please!
|

replied June 28th, 2012
stabbing pains under my ribs.
I have the exact same symptoms, i have had them for as long as i can remember, i have asked several docters and visited several hospitals, x-rays, the works, they cant find anything. somtimes holding your breath works, but other times i cant hold it long enough. in those cases, i just have to hold on to something and keep breathing deep through it. it hurts but it stops after a few minutes. if you find out what it is, let me know please!
|

replied November 25th, 2007
Thought I Was Dying Also...
I am 20 recently quit smoking cigarrettes, and have pretty much the combination of symptoms of this thread here, in my home town however there seems to be some sort of severe acute respitory disease going around shut down part of our hospital because of it but its accompanied by flu like symptoms as well which i dont have at all, infact since i quit smoking my cough went away but my sharp cheat pain has gotten worse it seems
|

replied February 17th, 2008
feel like there's no hope....
ok.. first off, thanks to all who have shared in this post..and on this site for that matter. For starters, I'm 38, I've smoked BOTH pot and cigs since I was 15. And I mean daily. I'm hooked...and thank God I don't care for alcohol. Anyway, I have this pain, it's there everyday...it's in the upper/center of my chest. It hurts when I put pressure on it. Started about 6-8 months ago. It hurts damn near all the time. I feel fine, no shortness of breath, I'm about 15lbs overweight but in pretty descent shape. I have no "balls" to go see a doc. I fear the worst...and even though I feel it constantly when I stretch, you know, when you get up in the morning type of stretch, I feel it, it doesn't stop my stupid *ss from headin' out to the garage for a buzz and a butt...though I constantly think about it...

what the hell is it with me??? I have a 6 year old that I love dearly...you'd think that would be enough to help me quit...but I just can't. I'm sooooo afraid that it's the big "C" but can't bring myself to face the music...I swear I just keep telling myself that if I die, oh well, no one will give two shi*ts anyway...less my daughter, and I honeslty keep thinking up scenarios of how she'll be fine since my inlaws are "well to do" and such... how sad is that? How frickin unbelievably sad is that?

I guess I'm just venting, 'cause I know you all out there can't help me with it...but thanks for reading this none the less...

It's 1:30am, I'm at work, and am goin to have a butt after I post this...

it's hopeless.
|

replied April 21st, 2011
quit for your daughter
pasmallies: if you really want to quit, I highly recommend this site that helped me quit and stay quit 6 years ago. Seriously, I was hardcore smoked everyday since 13 and i quit when I was 34.. Please do it for your daughter, cos NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE HER LIKE YOU DO.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
What is the website? I have tried so many times, I really need something that will help. Thanks!
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
stop smoking
the best way to stop smoking is visit allen carr clinics..if u dont have access atleast read book easy way to stop smoking book. i stopped it by reading book..Plz read it altleast once for your daughter.Its easy to stop. belive me..you can check his website also...
|

replied May 8th, 2012
I also recommend the Allen Carr book. I read it and quit for a year and nine months...but then I had one. I'm replying to pasmallies too, even though the post is over four years old, because I totally identify. How can one choose to smoke over a healthy life with his daughter? That's what I've been doing for the past three months.

That was the second time I had quit for over a year and then started again. The first time I used nicotine gum and just slowly weened off. The second time I read the Allen Carr book and as my buddy said, the guy's a guru. I'm reading it again now. Both times I quit I was having various pains, mostly in my back. Dull aches mixed with sharp pain. Both times I quit it went away. But here I am, having quit for the third time, one week in, the pain is gone, but I'm starting to rationalize why I can buy a pack. This time it's sitting at a desk that's causing the pain (which can be true, but I'm kidding myself).

My daughter is 19 months old. She's so cute and I love her so much. I love to smoke. My parents smoked heavily, both of them for over 30 years. They both quit over 20 years ago and are in relatively good health in their 70s. But I was fifteen when they quit and 18 when I started, so I had three years without smoke in my system, except for the occasional pot smoke in high school. But through college and my twenties and thirties, I smoked pot and cigs regularly. I'm 39 and hope that I'm not done for. It's amazing how cigs especially mess with your head. I love to smoke, I can't stand it.
|

replied December 2nd, 2012
stopping smoking
I read allen carrs book and stopped smoking..i was in some depression so not able to grasp book fully and took some year time..But its definitely good book and mostly people stopped in just 4-15 days of time while reading..its your thinking error as you love to smoke caused u to start smoking again..Just reconsider your this though of love of smoke after stopping..watch video also on torrent..IF you can purchase how to stop permentaly by allen carrs as it is mentioned in last chapters for those who started again..
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
my take ...
If you really want to quit - which would be very good for you and your daughter too - I have some advice that helped me to do it (it's 11 months since I quit).

Probably many ways will lead to success and I am not saying that my way is the only one! I was just as hopeless as you, like I had pains for over 5 years (and they are still here after 11 months of being quit, but some of it did get better), as the above mentioned sharp stiches in the left upper part of my back constantly and worsening when taking a deep breath... won't go into details here, but things of the thread above sounded familiar!
Well, what helped me was

1) to EDUCATE myself on what happens if you don't quit, like all about emphysema and copd, chronic bronchitis and even how cancer is related to the poisening stuff inside of a cig too. Don't make yourself crazy, but to know what lies ahead of you unless you quit or you are VERY lucky with very good genes OR you just get run over by a truck tomorrow or die unexpectedly else.. sorry ...
Just non-emotionally get the information of the most common diseases related to longterm smoking.

2. Take some time to think about this:
you have to find out the psychological reasons why you smoke, and develop methods for dealing with all the aspects of your life so that you are not dependent on tobacco. This is the start of an inside trip towards being a better person, a more LOVING person!!! Smile

3. In order to conquer the PHYSICAL Adiction, you can first educate yourself too, like what nicotine does in your brain really and how long it remains in your brain and all about those synapses and addiction of nicotine things and how the brain will heal after you successfully have overcome the physical addiction.
And then, practically, that is how I've done it and what helped me: COULD TURKEY. Just pretend you are sick - like having a real fever etc... STAY in bed for a week, drink tea, hang out in your pyjamas watch a little tv, eat some plain rice or potatoes or apples, SLEEP VERY MUCH - TURN IN a WEEK OF SICKDAYS!! Because you will wanna smoke and all, so to not smoke, allow yourself ANYTHIng else, resting, sleeping, staying home, crying in bed....

IT REALLY will be over after 4-5 days, that is how long nicotine takes to leave the body and believe me, it DOES get easier after that time and when your body is out of nicotine. You have to get rid of that nicotinedevil.

OK, ALL THE BEST to you all! SRY for a long post!

vera
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Don't give up your family but smoking...
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the info above.

@Pasmallies, I understand your situation as there are lot of things which needs to be done before we take off..I'm not married but I old parents who look up to me everyday. I can't leave them unattended. Moreover, I'll go by the words of ValleyGirl who said; cos NO ONE WILL EVER LOVE HER/THEM LIKE YOU DO.

Irony is that while I am writing this, I feel the pain in my chest-rising, putting pressure-physical & mental.

I'll quit smoking as I write, would you??? Take a good look at your daughter...

Good Luck & Take care.
|

replied March 31st, 2013
@Pasmallies - Same symptoms
I know it's been years since you've posted this so some time has passed for you. I'm 36 this year, have been smoking pot and cigs just about the same as you since 17 or 18 years of age, and have almost the exact same symptoms you are describing... It's a dull aching (bruised) type of feeling in center of chest. It don't feel it constantly though, and it seems like the pot helps with reducing the pain I feel.

I recently started exercising more, not over doing anything though. Brisk walks with some slight jogging/running mixed in. Push ups and sit ups. I was feeling fatigued for no apparent reason that made me want to start exercising more. I sit behind a desk all day for the past 10 years and lived a pretty sedentary lifestyle. I've been pretty good at controlling what I eat which has helped keep the weigh off.I actually used to be around 185 to 190 when I was younger but through the years have lost those extra pounds.

I'm around 165 pounds currently (male). I don't drink alcohol. I did go to my regular physician and he had some blood work run but nothing came back bad.

Are you still around? If so, how are you doing now?
|

replied September 10th, 2013
Ya know ur just weak. You don't want to quit. You are a human being. Your will is much more powerful than the addictions of drugs. Especially nicotine. You simply are lazy and do not truly want to quit. Otherwise you could. Its not hard, it truly isn't. The main "addiction" is of the habit itself. The actual habit not nothe nicotine, you catch that? In fact, the nicotine withdrawals only last three days. Three lousy days. Pretty sad you won't quit for just the three days... after that its all easier. MUCH easier. The pain you describe doesn't sound like cancer although at your description of how you view yourself I wouldn't gamble against you not quitting. Anyway, after the three days its actually just fighting the habit. The habit of having something in your hand, mouth. While driving, breaks at work, with alcohol coffee whatever you normally do. Just remember and look at it like this (which is true) whatever your doing while having a cigarette you would be doing whether smoking or not. But before you quit make it easy on yourself. DONT do ANYTHING while u smoke. NOTHING. don't drive, chat with friends on break, play on phone, literally stare on the ground. Break the habit of associating "smoke breaks" with doing other things. Then when you do those things in the future the urge of the habit will be less intense. Remember, its only three days you get nicotine withdrawals, the after that its just the urge of the old habit. Which also not to mention will become less often and last less often every day that passes. If you WANT to quit... you can, piece of cake. True fkn story. The stories you hear are of people who didn't truly want to quit. Even if you have attempted yourself... sure you may have attempted thinking you wanted to quit but you must not have wanted it had you started again. Quit trying to fool yourself.
N.O.P.E
Not One Puff Ever, just remember that. And to you specifically guy... don't you want your daughter to have good thoughts about you? Remember you and know you for being strong? You can quit..
Go for it.
Be sure to tell al your friends and family. Itll be yet another reason to continue to stay quit. You won't want them knowing you didn't want to. Cause like I said, it comes down to want. Period.
|

replied February 23rd, 2008
To pasmallies
HI there, i am 30 and suffer similar symptoms - for the last 2 weeks. i am considering giving up smoking, which i have been doing since i was 18. i suggest you do the same, dont think of cutting down, just pick a day and quit it, and then stick to it, i want to achieve this within the next month! and i WILL do it. just be strong and make up your mind.
|

replied March 12th, 2008
similiar symptoms
hi there,
reading all these posts has been helpful - I have a similiar chest pain on my left side that hurts when I stretch or take a deep breath, the left side of my chest is tender when I touch it. It's certainly a concern, and I've been reducing that amount I smoke / inhale - though it hasn't gone away yet.

this pain has been going on for over a week, though I'm familiar with it - it's been coming on and off, depending on how heavily I smoke. I should add, I don't smoke cigarettes, I smoke pot. Over the last couple years, I noticed that the amount I smoke would inflame both my lungs and throat. I was worried, so I went to the doctor and they performed various lung tests and diagnosed mild copd - which, like an earlier post says - sticks with you, and makes your lungs more fragile, I think.

I bought a good vaporizer last fall, and that has helped quite a bit, though I still get worrisome inflamation at times, and it seems overall, my lungs are much more suseptible to irritation - this may be a lasting legacy of copd?

About 2 weeks ago, I turned up the temperature of the vaporizer, I used it for about a week on its highest temperature. (a higher temp produces a denser mist) That, and a couple joints over those two weeks (I really don't smoke joints since getting the vaporizer) - seemed to inflame my lungs.

Now - like I said - I've a tight chest pain that hasn't gotten any better for a while. I've turned down the vap to low levels again, and will keep it there, though this chest pain does hurt, and it is worrisome.

I'm trying to cut back or quit completely until this chest pain subsides, which really may be the only way to know if it's my smoking habits that are doing this, or something else...

I found others posts useful, comforting knowing it's probably related to what I smoke, (and not something worse, at least not yet) - also knowing others are going through similiar worries-
|

replied April 16th, 2008
Too Scared
OMG, I thought I was the only one this was happening to. I'm 51/female and have been smoking off and on since 18 (quit for 12 years and like an idiot I started back 8 years ago). I just smoked about 1/2 pack per day, but since Dec I've had bronchitis 3 or 4 times. My doctor gave me Chantix to quit smoking and it has really helped. I quit 6 days ago and have not messed up yet. About 2 days after I quit, I started having back pain, which has moved to my chest now.

I'm like pasmallies. I don't have the guts to go get it checked out. I know smoking is bad, but I couldn't help it. I looked at my kids and hated myself for smoking. Now it is probably too late to stop doing something that I knew all my life was so bad. I thought the back pain was going away, but this morning it is in my chest, neck, shoulders and back.
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Stop Smoking
I did - 2 weeks ago; very early days yet, I know - but if I can anyone can - you've read that before! I remember from my two previous unsuccessful times that the first 3 days are the hardest - i'm over them - i'm never going back.
Ironically, today the dr found a nodule in my lung - just hope my quitting didn't come too late.
|