Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Appendix or constipation ?

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
hi my name is Cindy. I just wanted to know about an appendicitis because last monday my right side was hurting and i thought it was due to constipation, which isnt unusuaul for me..I took some laxative and went though like 9 times in one night. Then i was fine and for 4 days i was fine until Thursday night when my right side started again hurting, by Friday morning when i woke up it hurt so bad, thought i was going to have to go to hospital..I waited it out and was at work. But by 1pm, i was fine and now its Saturday, still havent had another bowel movement since monday and am still alright. Does Appendix have symptons for days? or does it come and go? I am just real interested, if anyone can give me some answers Id appreciate it..Cindy Dunn
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 7th, 2003
I dont think it comes and goes.... And heres your advice- go to your doc.
|

Experienced User
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix, a finger-like glandular piece of tissue that connects to the beginning of the large intestine_usually at the lower right side of the abdomen_. The most common symptoms of appendicitis are abdominal pain, fever, and vomiting. Abdominal pain usually begins in the center of the abdomen, around the belly button. Later, the pain may move down to the right, around the location of the appendix. It may also be tender to the touch.

After abdominal pain begins, you usually develop a slight fever, loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting. The fact that abdominal pain begins before nausea and vomiting, rather than after, is one clue to suspect appendicitis rather than an intestinal infection.

Other symptoms include: diarrhea (usually small stools with mucus), urinary tract symptoms (urinating very frequently and/or an uncomfortably strong urge to urinate), constipation, and respiratory symptoms.

If appendicitis is not treated, the infected appendix may break open and spread its infection to other areas of the abdomen giving you a very high fever.

There is no specific amount of time for appendicitis, but once symptoms of appendicitis begin, it takes as little as 24 hours for an infected appendix to break open. This will spread the infection to other areas of the abdomen, increase the risk for serious complications, and make treatment harder.

If the appendix is removed surgically before it breaks open, complications are rare. Hospital stay is usually 2 or 3 days.
|

Experienced User
My name is cindy too!!

I had symptoms very similar to what you were experiencing back in february of this year. I immediately thought it was appendicitis as well. The pain was so intense my husband ended up taking me to the er around 730am in a snow storm no less. Turned out I had a kidney stone that was lodged in my right kidney.

I had pain on a friday, but I was fine on saturday all day, then I got the pain back at night. It was saturday night into sunday morning when it really hit and I was in the er.

If the pain returns, please go to the er. You don't want to be playing around with something that could be very serious. I will be thinking about you!
|

replied October 22nd, 2004
Re: Appendicitis
jeffslady61 wrote:
hi my name is cindy. I just wanted to know about an appendicitis because last monday my right side was hurting and I thought it was due to constipation, which isnt unusuaul for me..I took some laxative and went though like 9 times in one night. Then I was fine and for 4 days I was fine until thursday night when my right side started again hurting, by friday morning when I woke up it hurt so bad, thought I was going to have to go to hospital..I waited it out and was at work. But by 1pm, I was fine and now its saturday, still havent had another bowel movement since monday and am still alright. Does appendix have symptons for days? Or does it come and go? I am just real interested, if anyone can give me some answers id appreciate it..Cindy dunn

no your appendix dose not come and go but there is a problem called appendicitics and that dose have symptoms her are the three basic sever pain in the lower right abdominal area, a fever of 99 -102, and finally vomiting. What you could have done is you could have pulled a measle that can hurt off and on.
|

replied November 6th, 2009
appendix troubles??
hey there i just had my appendix removed due to a blockage, but once you got appendicitis you got it, it turns to a rumbbling appendix and needs to be looked at at some stage , but if you have appendix problem. its better out than in, if you appendix bursts , you will have huge amount of pain and start vomiting. so i wouldnt muck around. if you have appendix troubles... thats my take on it. took less than an hour to remove it and you end up with 3 holes. instead of a huge scar

cheers adrian
|

replied August 5th, 2012
Appendicitis
My friends son has had an appendectomy and he has a feeding tube. His appendix burst. What is the cause for him not to be able to urinate correctly if they are pumping him full of fluids round the clock in the hospital? Also when will his intestines start working again. He still has some infection inside his little body. His bile in going out the feeding tube instead of through his intestines. What causes that?
|
Quick Reply