Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Large Hard Mass Came Out of Nostril

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I felt a tickle in my nose, I thought something like a hair or something was in there so I began to blow my left nostril. Nothing came out, but the tickle was still there, so I tried again and this large mass of hard but pliable white/greyish stuff came out. It was about 1/8 inch in width and about 1/2 long. If that wasn't enough to totally send me into a panic attack I blew my nose again and another mass came out.
After searching the internet for a few hours I have found nothing!
This isn't the first time this has happened to me. The last time was about 5 months ago. From what I remember, like now, I was on antibiotics for adult acne. That's about the only similarity in both situations.
The first time this happened I thought I may have left some tissue in my nose after a nose bleed or something, or maybe I stuffed some tissue up my nose while I was sleeping. After this last extraction of abnormal "stuff" coming out of my nostril I know I haven't stuffed anything up my nose!
This is really freaky especially since I can not find any information on abnormal nasal discharge.
Anyone that has ever heard of this please!!! Reply.

Thanks,
freaked out!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NoRelief
|

replied June 5th, 2005
Nasal Discharge
I don't know about the colouration of your discharge, however I would suggest that the discharge itsself is some form of pus/dead bacteria as per normal, but in greater quantity.

You indicate that your were taking antibiotics both times this has occurred, and whilst they were for adult acne, they will also kill any other bacteria that may be sensitive to their presence.

I would the inclined to think that what you have experienced was a discharge of some form of concurrent nasal infection, whether it was bacteriological or fungal.

From my on-line research in the past: green, grey and/or black discharges are associated with, but not limited to, fungal infections.

If you are really concerned about this, I would first consult my general practitioner and, dependant upon your feelings and the outcome of your discussion with your doctor, request a referral to an ent for consultation.

Remeber to tell your consultants everything you have included here, and anything else that you may remember.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Same thing happened to me when I was 15 (now 32) never told anyone!! now I get very frequent colds and I always think about it!! what was it??? I don't see anything on internet, let me know if you do!!
|

replied January 19th, 2013
white thick tissue from nose
this has happened to me today large chucks of white thick tissue of some kind i asked my doctor she did not think it was something but i am freaked out this was large
|

replied April 5th, 2013
Personal Misson
I'm in the same boat as you'll. For the past 3 weeks my eye was watering nonstop an frequent soreness and pressure around my eye. But about 2 days ago the pain was intense I almost went to the ER but I didn't. So a couple of hours went by just in pain then all of a sudden I felt like I had something in my nose so I went to blow an nothing but I know something was there I blow again and jut as you'll where saying a big white mass sort of like wet tissue flow out. And it scared the doggy doo out of me I had goose bump. But as soon as it came out I had instant relief no watering eye or soreness around the eye. And since then I have been on a misson to find out what it was but nothing. But the closet I have come was maybe it was a Tonsil stone that some how worked its way up in the Nasal cavity. Hope this helps someone if anyone eles thinks that a tonsil stone sounds the closet to what you experienced Plzzzzz!!!! Reply
|

replied July 3rd, 2013
@Marty

Sounds like nasal polyps - you should google that.
|

replied November 27th, 2013
Hard whitish mass from nose
This has happened to me a few times, and I believe it is a waxy/oily plug that comes from a clogged tear duct. I can tell when my tear duct isn't draining because the tear film builds up and doesn't drain, then when one of these comes out through my nose, the tear duct works again. We have oil glands at the base of our eyelashes, and I'm sure the oil gets in the tear film. If a tear duct isn't working properly, I'm guessing some of the oil collects and dehydrates there, causing a plug.

If what you've blown out is bloody and fleshy, it probably is a polyp. You should show it to a doctor.
|

replied November 27th, 2013
|

replied November 3rd, 2014
I also had this, i felt like i had a blocked nostril and pressure between my eyes, my one eye would water and one of my nostrils, after a week the pressure got worse so i blew my nose a few times and nothing, so i blew really hard and felt something come out, was also instant relief, when i looked, it was like a cotton wool ball (slightly smaller than a golf ball), i too have not managed to find the answer but i sure did wish i kept it and took it straight to my doctor
|