Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Sharp Pain In the Side of My Head.. (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
This has happened to me a few times now.. I will just suddenly get a really sharp pain in the left side of my head, right near my eye, and it's so painful.. But it goes away after a few minutes...

Has anyone else experienced this??

I was told it could be something serious and I should go to a doctor.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper cloversea
|

replied July 17th, 2005
I have had the same kind of pain for 3 days. I get migraines frequently, but this is different. It is always the left side of my head above my ear behind my eye. Did your pain stop?

Clcope
|

replied April 16th, 2011
i woke up today with a terrible headache on the left side of my head. its hurting alot and even the painkiller did't work. and i get really hyper with my imagination so i just hope its not tumour or sumthin pls help!
|

replied May 9th, 2011
No , it has not stopped. could a bad wisdom tooth have something to do with it.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
soooo YES.
|

replied August 6th, 2005
Pain In the Side of Head
I have the same type of pain, only on the right side of my head. I had an episode tonight, which was apparently pretty bad-it scared my husband to death! I described it to him as if someone had stuck a very long sharp knife through my head-front to back- just above my eye. I don't know what is causing the pain, but he is going to make me see a Dr. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!
|

replied August 10th, 2005
There's something called ice pick pain that about 40% of migraine patients have. To me, it feels exactly like what I imagine having an ice pick slammed into my head would feel like. It's probably not a sign of anything major, but if you've never talked to your doctor about it, you should see him or her about it. It's always good to check in when you have such a startling new symptom.

-kerrie
|
Users who thank cloversea for this post: ahauv 

replied October 9th, 2005
Re: Sharp Pain In the Side of My Head..
nicki6 wrote:
this has happened to me a few times now.. I will just suddenly get a really sharp pain in the left side of my head, right near my eye, and it's so painful.. But it goes away after a few minutes...

Has anyone else experienced this??

I was told it could be something serious and I should go to a doctor.

ive had this same thing happening to me for like the past few days. Idk wut it is and its kinda scary. Idk if I should tell my mom cuz idk if its ne thing serious. Wut do u think. Its like it just comes out of no where and then it goes away. If u know ne thing could u tell me plz.

Laura
|

replied May 13th, 2011
Head pain
Me too, i having the same pain like yours just now. Really painful, esp when i bend down my body, i can feel my blood inside my head goes down. And when i walk.. the pain became worse. I could not describe the painful. I try t take 2 tablet of pain killer to stop the pain and for about 5-10 minutes, the pain disappear.
|

replied July 14th, 2011
i have the same pain, just like yours, but rarely. I had the first headache before being hospitalized with the diagnosis of thrombosis, 2 years ago. Since then I have had this pain for about 2-3 times this year.
trombosis is intravascular coagulation of the blood in any part of the circulatory system, as in the heart, arteries, veins, or capillaries.
I hope to be no conection between thrombosis and pain.
|

replied October 14th, 2005
Ice Pick.. Yes That Describes It..
I have been throwing up for three days, queasy tummy and now I get this headache, starts in the back of the left side of my head and shoots towards the eye, its excruciating for about 5 seconds then fades, I get the pains about every two mins or so. I see several are suffering as I am. The pressure point did not work, anyone else have something that works for them ???
Help please!
Tnt
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied November 6th, 2011
Stabbing pain in head
I have this same pain occasionally. It usually doesn't happen but once or twice. But about a week and a half ago, I got these pains on the right side of my head, about 2 inches above and behind my ear, sometimes radiating to my ear. It happened off and on all day long. I also woke up with pain in my upper left arm that same morning. Still have pain and weakness in my arm. No more head pain.
|

replied October 16th, 2005
I think what you are describing could be a pinched nerve ?
I get migraines and I have had this expreince too. Its kinda scary, for a second you think your going to have a brain hemmorage or something. I really think it could be a trapped nerve.
|

replied November 28th, 2005
Sharp, Severe Pain In Right Side of Head
Hi....I suffer from very sharp, searing pain in the right side of my head, toward the top....In between the temple and back of my head on a regular basis....It is so painful and scary...I have had cat scans(?) and have been treated for migraine's in the past...But this is not like my migraine pain...This is different...There are no other symptons. Can someone please help me?
|

replied December 7th, 2005
Going Insane!!!
I'm very glad to hear that I am not alone! But I still have yet to hear what the heck this pain is and what I can do about it. It's driving me crazy. It feels like an electric shock and has moved from the lower left side of my head up about two inches. I've been taking advil for 3 days now and I can't make it go away. When i'm working out it doesn't hurt, but when I lay down to sleep it starts shocking me again! I'm 29 and don't like going to the doctor...
|

replied December 11th, 2005
Hi
Yeah i'm 17, i've been getting the same thing a pain on the right side of my head and it hurts when I bend over and cough somtimes on its own. I went to the doc she looked at the discs in the back of my eyes, she said they're fine. She diagnosed me wiith sinusitus, however this was 3 days ago and the medication isnt working etc. Since the docs is closed tomorrow im going there on mon, oh yeah and I dont have a stuffed nose or pain around my eyes, I have had a steady cough for about a year though, and I was sick about 2 weeks ago. But now ive had this headpain for 10 days!!! Im starting to get a bit freaked out that it's a tumor. I keep thinking I am going to die:(. Please if you have any ideas that it could be something else it just gives me a bit of peace in the mind. Could it be back pain because I get it pretty bad, or a pinched nerve. I also play rugby for canada u-17 team as a prop meaning I bangheads a lot, but have never suffered any huge blow.
Dan
|

replied March 30th, 2012
Head pain
Sounds similar...............Go to a Neurologist....ask him/her to look for ACM (Arnold Chiari Malformation...rare and many Drs do not believe in it)). The bending down with pain is one of the MANY signs of this ( plus quiet a few others...look it up on the Internet and see what fits) I have had surgery for this and have never looked back since.
|

replied March 30th, 2012
Head pain
Sounds similar...............Go to a Neurologist....ask him/her to look for ACM (Arnold Chiari Malformation...rare and many Drs do not believe in it)). The bending down with pain is one of the MANY signs of this ( plus quiet a few others...look it up on the Internet and see what fits) I have had surgery for this and have never looked back since.
|

replied December 20th, 2005
Electric Shock/current
I experienced the same pain that 'wyoming' described above. I have had tension headaches behind my eyes before and that pain is much duller than this pain. It was just like I was being shocked on my left temple. It only lasted about twenty seconds and has not returned. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Thank you!
|

Strange Pain In the Brain
Hi, everybody. I just started getting this sharp pain in the right side of my head, above my ear, last night. It lasts less than a minute, and comes back randomly. I thought i'd just sleep it off and wake up and be ok. Nope. Its already happened about 4 - 5 times in the past few hours. I'm a lil freaked out! what is it? I plan on going to the doctors but I got too much xmas shopping to do.
|

Ow Ow Ow
Hello, I have the same ice pick symptoms and have had it for 8 or 9 years now, i'm a 19yr old female and it's the scariest thing that I haven't found a doctor yet who either believes me or has heard of the symptoms b4. Worrisome
|

New Dr.
Ok, now he says there's something called 'tic doloreaux' that has the same symptoms hope this helps as an alternative to ice picks which incidentally, he'd never heard of. Google away
|

replied December 23rd, 2005
Worst Head Pain In the World
I was in a car accident oct. 8th 2005. I was sore for a few days, but started to improve with some physical therapy. 1 1/2 weeks ago I began to experience horrible pains on my upper left back/shoulders/neck. I could barely move and the pain shot down my left arm. Painkillers and anti-inflamatories did not work (prescription.) the chiropractor said to give it until this friday (today.) my neck/back/shoulders are feeling better for the past two days (just sensitive), but I have begun to experience an excruciating pain in the back of my head that shoots all the way back behind my eye. It lasts for up to 5 minutes and then goes away, but continues to throb in the background. The 1-5 minute episode is bad enough-like a knife stabbing me. I can barely talk or move when it happens. It almost feels like something exploded in my brain.

Please help!
|
Users who thank daniela12180 for this post: darmstrong65 

replied March 4th, 2012
Hi you might need to get your C4 and C5 discs in your neck checked, it ounds like a prolsed disc Problem which means your nerves may be getting pinched or your muscles are trying to protect the area which will give these symptoms. When you have exrays or scans insist on having the dye with it as it will show up what normal exrays won't. Cheers rob
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
I See.
I guess it started about six months ago when I first got head pains on the left side of my head...I've had back problems for...A few years now. I'm only 18 so when the head pains started I started freaking out. My parents used to say it was probably my back, and its happening again...But the last week my back has been hurting again. It starts to happen when my left shoulder/upper back side feel reallytight and I can't crack it. I'm a huge hyprocondriac...And I can't even watch doctor shows without thinking I have some sort of disease so this scared me alot...But seeing everyone write that they've had stuff like this helps me think that its not something as serious as what I thought..

So by reading, I should go to a chiro and if that doesnt help then a doctor right?
|

replied January 3rd, 2006
Hi I'm New Here And I Have These Feeling Too. I'm Scared.
I get these pains too. Sometime they're gone real fast and others will linger there like a burning feeling. They seem to go off and on all day and sometime they make me dizzy. I also don’t have any kind of appetite. I feel like there’s a big haze and I can’t concentrate on anything. A lot of times I just start staring into space. I feel like I have sever brain damage or something. Anyone else feeling like this that can tell me what's wrong. I get real scared about it thinking I have a tumor or i'm dying. I went to the hospital for a panic attack the other day and they said my blood work, heart, and oxygen levels were fine. Does that mean I can still have something seriously wrong in my brain? If it was something serious would it have shown up my in blood? I would like to get a mri but i'm really scared. I also used to do a lot of drugs and alcohol when I was in high school, i'm 23 years old now. I just really need some advice. Please write back. Thanks

-kari
|

replied September 27th, 2011
It sounds as if you have depression / Anxiety (so called chemical imbalance) - Causing physical symptoms
Don't drink more than 2 coffee's a day (caffine)
Avoid Booze!
You need to improve your intake of food (Vitamin & minerals)
Don't overuse painkillers (rebound)

Avoid antidepressants / Psychiatry - they'll make you
worse.
Take sensible exercise but don't over do it
ensure 8 sleep & don't over sleep (avoid sleeping medication)

the alpha stim machine is drug free option - but fairly
expensive 260 - 350

Read up on depression / stress / anxiety

an MIR scan should put your mind at rest regarding brain tumor - but won't show up damage to the neurons / depression

I am not a doctor
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Hi, I am new to this site also. I have had this sharp pain in the left side of my head, like a hot pocker. It started iff and in about 10 or so years ago and now it is every day. I just want to screem. Sometimes it feels like a electric shocl in the back of my head and i have many noises. I have been to many Dr. but they don't know what it is. I am going to a nerologest now to see if they can find out. Going crazy in Wyoming
|

replied November 22nd, 2011
"Occipital Neuralgia"
Hello - I happen to run accross this - my daughter has suffored with all these same syptoms since she was 11 and she is now 17. She spent 7 days in the hospital last January because the migraines were so unbareable.... nothing helped... We finally saw a Neurologist who diagnosed her with "Occipital Neuralgia" -- this has been the best few months! It took alot of meds to get her to feel better -- and 4 shots to the back of the head.... but worth it! Talk to your Dr. and research this!!
|

replied January 9th, 2006
I have been reading a few forums on this site, and they seem to be discussing exactly the same matter. Unfortunatly, i'm not here to help, only add to the confusion. Also, I hope to make things a bit clearer from what I have read so far.
I'm by no way correct however, anyway...
I will just clear up what it is everybody seems to be getting. Or...Most, and...Cough...Me. For about 3-4 months I have been also getting as you all describe as a very very sharp pain at the back left of your head behind the ear area. Now if you are reading this, just touch the left back of your head, ie where the sharp pain normaly is, and now feel the right side. Do you feel a difference? Because if you do, you're in the same boat as me, and we know it's the same thing. Almost like a bruse but not quite. Back to the point. Might happen once a week or so, and it makes you flinch, or at least react to it. You think you have just been hit around the head.
After some reading, they seem to be called ice pick headaches. As I have never been hit around the head with an ice pick, I wouldn't know what it feels like, but i'm assured that it is what it feels like. There is some kind of drug you can take apparently. I can't see what it could do to help though?
The main thing which binds everyone together is the stress leves. People who are reporting it, seem to have a lot of stress. I don't feel I am under a lot of stress, however I am at school and soon taking some exams, so maybe subconciously I am getting stressed? Back to where we were. I don't know if anyone else is the same, but I have lost about 3 stone in the last year since march, and maybe that has something to do with it.
One person said that it may be something to do with a nerve in that area which is a bit trapped, or when moves touches something...Erm. Idocin. Well, thats the name of the drug in canada, it's something else everywhere else apparently.I'm not from canada, it's just I can only remember that name. I think I have now said all I can say.
But if as many people are reporting it as there are, it's probably nothing to worry about, just something which is irritating and hurts when it happens. I was discussing the matter with one of my friends at school, they said they have had it also. So there we are, must be a common thing....
|

replied January 17th, 2006
Re: Sharp, Severe Pain In Right Side of Head
[quote="darah381"]

hi darah. I have been having the sharp pains in my head for years now. My ear will ring along with it. I know they say sinus and stress have alot to do with these kind of headaches, but I was at my Dr.'s today and she thinks it is due to multiple sclerosis. I have been suffering with m.S. For 4 years now. You may want to ask for a mri. Catscan won't show if there is lesions on the brain or not. Good luck!
|

replied January 29th, 2006
Yea,
Hi im josh,
my gf is having those sharp sharp pains in her head, and she had mri and catscan, but nothing, they are on the left side, I really wanna help her. If anyone knows what is wrong with her please help me!!! She just started geting these pains out of no ware like 4 weeks ago, she went 2 doctors many times. Still nothing,she had a 3 days period were she didnt have those pains, she got a blood test not long ago, she was allergic 2 cat dander,cigarette smoke, and mold. But she has alot of stress, so I dont know what is wrong. I wanna know what functions are on the left side of the brain, maybe that will help me determin what is wrong. They really scare me please help.She is my world!!! I need your help.
|

replied September 12th, 2011
ice pick pain
i get them too,i bad for not drinking much water but when i rehydrate they go.im sure lack of water is the reason.
|
Quick Reply